Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,788
    I don't like about the Element, is that when the right rear seat is folded up, it creates a HUGE blind spot while looking over your right shoulder. That's not good, at all.

Bob
  • jeijei Posts: 143
    Finally, a non-boring Honda! Perfect new age station wagon replacment. The quirky Civic wagon. At least the excessive cladding is artful.

I'm over 40, but would look seriously at one if we needed a FWD runabout/hauler and the gas mileage, curb weight & purchase price were right. You can sell an young person's car to an old(er) person, but not the other vice versa.

One more attraction to check out in NYC.

John
  • armac13armac13 Posts: 1,129
    I think anyone over the age of twelve is too old for that "car"!

Ross
  • lark6lark6 Posts: 2,565
    Oh yeah:

http://www.stude.com/wagon/ex29.jpg

Come on gang, you think I'd let that slip by without a reference? ;-)

Ed

As you get older, life starts to reverse itself. So while I'm 57—and like the Element; that can only mean that I'm in line for diapers shortly, which (in a way) puts me well under 12 years of age...

Bob
    Ed, we knew you'd come through with that! :) There's nothing new under the sun if you grew up with 1950s and 1960s American cars. You've seen it all before.

(This posting is brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.)

Bob
  • lark6lark6 Posts: 2,565
  • armac13armac13 Posts: 1,129
    looking at retirement, I want to get through the "crotchety old man" stage in a hurry. That way I'll be able to really enjoy getting younger.
    ;~)

Ross the O.F.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    That is what good side-view mirrors are for.

-mike
  • storytellerstoryteller Posts: 476
    Or just have one of your little surfer passengers stand with his head out that moonroof so he can warn the driver, "Duuuuude, somethin' coming up in the passing lane!" See, I was young once, too!
    The "Outback Sedan" forum was started back on August 20, 2001, and already this new "Cafe" forum (2.5 days old) has more posts...

I wonder what that means?

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    It is intersting that the Element's seats fold up and to the side, instead of into the floor.

lark: no way, no how. If you hadn't responded I would have assumed you were out sick or something. ;-)

Bob: that means BOTH Outback sedan owners aren't as talkative as we are! LOL

-juice
    are BOTH Outback sedan owners from Florida? ;)

Bob
    Scion bbX (Toyota's youth-brand) just announced at NY. Hmmm... seems like I've seen this shape before, somewhere??

Bob

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_036529

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_036528

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_036527

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_036526
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 PAPosts: 1,089
    We have officially banned them here in Florida!
    Actually, they've had boxy cars in Japan for years. The Model X is just the first one deemed big enough for the USA.

The Scion bbX (bulletin board crossover?) looks a lot smaller, with 4 conventional doors.

Compare the two, and I see people buying many more Model Xs, due to the more useful size and the stand-out features.

-juice
    I don't know what kind or size of powerplant the Scion has, but the Honda Element uses the (useful) 2.4L engine from the CRV, as well as the CRV RT-4WD (or FWD).

Bob
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Posts: 1,676
    Thanks Edmunds! Now I can share! I learned a new noun today. It's thank-you-ma'am. It refers to those "bumps in the road" that we often come upon. I've tried (successfully) to use it today three times. It's kind of fun. Like - "I was having a great day. I did have to deal with a challenging thank-you-ma'am"

Oh well - it was fun to watch people react to it!

Patti
    Bob: I bet the Scions get the 1.5l from the Echo. I really don't see how dorky, tiny cars like the Echo are going to make a big impact in the US. Young buyers are going to be more into Matrices than Scions, IMO.

The ccX has a saggy rear, while the Matrix looks like it's had a major face lift, looking much younger, more aggressive. ccX had better be cheap.

Bob: did you see that the Element has a rubber floor? I wonder if you could hose it out? That would be hilarious. You'll recall that was one thing I asked for in Future Models a while back.

-juice
    They should make em look r!cy then the younguns will buy em up. Afterall 95% of them are into show not go...

-mike
    http://www.autonews.com/page.cms?pageId=191

Most interesting (to me) are the updated Mitsubishi Montero, with a more powerful 3.8L engine, tweaked styling, and larger/wider tires (wonder if they addressed the handling issue?); and the Outlander, another new competitor for the Forester...

Juice, yes, I did notice the rubber floor mat of the Element. And—still no word from Subaru...

Bob
    You're right, paisan. Put clear lens tail lights, body effects/spoilers, factory window tint, stuff like that. Go after the Civic market.

Civic sells to 34 year old buyers (median age - *). Corolla buyers are 42! That's middle aged, for a compact!

No wonder Toyota is worried about it. A 25 year old isn't going to buy a middle-aged person's car.

Hmm, the Monty gets active traction control, but they didn't mention stability control. That would be a good idea, to quell the fears (true or not, it hurts sales). I've always liked the muscular curves. The face-lift looks a little worse, IMO.

Outlander? Half Outback, Half Highlander? That name is blatant plaigarism. Brother.

Cute, though. But just 140 hp? That'll be a slug with AWD. Seems like more of a Matrix AWD competitor than anything.

-juice

* source: AutoPacific (via KBB.com)
    Too curvy IMHO. I kind think of the new monty like the new impreza. Give me the old skins with the new underpinnings/engine. My favorite monty was the last year or 2 of the previous generation. with the nice flared fenders in gun-metal color.

-mike
    The fenders are curvy, but the main body is boxy and tall. I think stability control would go a long way. Sales are very poor right now.

At least the Outlander will be made in Japan. Lots of Mitsus have become Chrylser clones, and quality has taken a nose dive. I recall the Galant was the #1 most reliable sedan a few years back, now it's near the bottom.

-juice
    DSM is merging just about everything except for the trucks. I think the outlander will evnetually become a DSM product.

-mike
    look like "Plus 2" units. The wheels look like 18" with 50 or 55 section tires.

Bob
    I doubt they are running on 18" rims, maybe 17"

-mike