Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Care and Maintenance

Comments

• colonel35colonel35 Member Posts: 108
    There aren't many sightings; there's only about 50 Enzos total in the US. I have no idea what's in their special oil blend, but I suspect owners pay gladly just so that they get first dibs on the next super-exotic from Maranello. A Car & Driver article on the car mentioned it, as well as the $30k brake job the owner had to perform at just a few thousand miles. Ridiculous.
  • joeshanjoeshan Member Posts: 70
    I don't use a buffer-I like the feeling of accomplishment I have as I stand there sweating and looking at my newly waxed car. :shades:
    I have used the following products on my cars in the past:
    Zaino Bros. Show Car Polish: I bought it for about $15 at some body shop in The Bronx about fifteen years ago. I recall that it was really easy to use and looked great. This was a one-step product. Used on a Burgandy Metallic '83 Regal.
    Meguiar's Deep Crystal Pre-Wax Cleaner, Polish and Carnuba: easy to use and looked good, but the three steps were a bit much. Used on the Regal and a Metallic Grey '88 Cougar.
    Meguiar's Gold Class Cleaner and Polish: easy to use and looked fine, also. Apparently, this is only a two step process. Used on the Cougar, and a Tan (non-metallic) '88 grand Marquis.
    Zymol Cleaner Wax: According to Zymol catalog, this is for SUVs, but they show a picture of a red Carrera on the website. Hmmm....Once used to weird Zymol "don't let it dry on the car" philosophy, was very easy to use. After you finish, you "spit shine" the car with a few drops of water. Car looks fantastic when finished. Best of all, only $20, sold retail at Auto Zone, etc. & comes with applicator and polishing cloth. Used on blue green met. '94 Accord.
    Zymol HD Cleanse & Zymol Japon wax-what a [non-permissible content removed].This stuff is supposed to be a super-duper cleaner-"don't drive the car before waxing after using this product" says the website. I thought that I would need a chisel to get this crap off of the car-and I was indoors in a warm garage and I didn't let the stuff dry. The Japon wax, on the other hand was a dream-on and off really easily and looks great, but it is quite dear at $40 for 8 oz. and must be refrigerated (wife wasn't thrilled). Used on Garnet Fire G35X.
    I just got the Zymol Japon, and it should last a while, but I'll go to something else later. Meguiar's Gold is ok and relatively cheap and easy, as was the Zymol cleaner wax. Maybe it's time to revisit Zaino, also.
    BTW, tried Mother's and Liquid Gold and was not impressed with either.
    Oops, I meant to say Liquid Glass.
  • hondo9hondo9 Member Posts: 1
    Where in NoVa did you have your llumar applied? What parts did you get covered? Thanks!
  • temple_kidtemple_kid Member Posts: 8
    Help! Please Help! I got my first boo boo on my beautiful G35 Coupe. Its a pretty visible scratch that someone made by hitting their door against mine. Should I use a buffing agent? How do I get rid of it? :(

I wish I knew which car did it. I would keyed the car like crazy!!!! Please someone help!
  • jaguilajaguila Member Posts: 12
    I read in one of the forums that some owners had experienced "orange peel" or blurr effects from the clear bras they've put on their G35's. Has anyone here experienced the same thing and is there a solution to fix this? Which do you think is the best brand out there?
    If it's a very shallow scratch, a good polishing compound (like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze) can help fill it in and hide the scratch. If it's deeper, you can use an AutoVisuals paint pen to paint in the scratch, then follow up with a good polish and wax. If that doesn't do the trick, you'll need to visit a professional body shop to repaint the panel (a few hundred bucks, usually).
    I'm not sure what you mean by "orange peel" effect. If the installation wasn't great, you might see some stretch marks on the material in some tricky areas, but it sure beats seing paint chips on your hood. I applied Invinca-shield's kit (www.invinca-shield.com) a couple of years ago, and have been happy with them. XPel also offers quality kits, but they're a little pricier on the G35.
  • neptungrllneptungrll Member Posts: 48
    I take my G35 sedan to the local Nissan dealer for an oil change. It is in the $20 something range somewhere, maybe $24.95. I take any major service work to the Infiniti dealer. I doubt I would go to the quicky oil change places with it however.
    Pat
  • jitters503jitters503 Member Posts: 10
    Hey guys!! I just got a new Ivory Pearl Coupe!!! Yay! I have a few yellow spots on the white paint near the wheels. Anyone have any suggestions of how I can get rid of the those stains???

Leather care... have you guys bothered putting anything on the leather interior? If so, what did u use??
    What are these yellow "spots"? In general, start with the mildest solution (car wash shampoo), and move progressively to harsher detergents and polishes in trying to buff it out. But if it's a brand new car, I'd just bring it back to the dealer and ask them to take care of it.

I use Lexol cleaner and conditioner on my leather, 3-4 times/year.
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    Take it the dealer is the best advice.
  • jitters503jitters503 Member Posts: 10
    Ok thanks guys!
  • kjjkjj Member Posts: 9
    Hi, everyone. :confuse:
    I have '03 G35 sedan and need to replace the front windshield. After finding out the OEM part from Infiniti will cost me more than $900 (incld installation), I decided to go for the aftermarket part. However, I found a big difference in price after calling around few places from yellowpage. The price including installation runs from $200 to $399. They all say that their glasses are made to OEM standard. Does anyone have a good autoglass shop to recommand in Washington D.C. Metro (Virginia) area? Is there any brand of aftermarket glass made to Infiniti's OEM specification? Thank you in advance.
  • bhnbhn Member Posts: 13
    Is there a solution for the brake pads on the g35. My warranty on the brakes is about to expire.
  • esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    I'm not sure about DC, but in NJ, there's Diamond/Triumph autoglass. I had my windshield for my 2 week old! :cry: G35X replaced. Stone kicked up from the road. The part is branded PPG. It looks completely original except for the PPG brand. $250 installed. If you trust the shop, they should do a good job.
  • ana1ana1 Member Posts: 10
    The dealer offers an Infiniti Extended Protection Plan but I found it is a lot pricier than several other companies but I want to be sure I am getting a reputable company. Also, I put very little miles per year so I am more concerned w/coverage for extended number of years vs miles. Any suggestions of good companies or ones to stay away from? Thanks.
  • kjjkjj Member Posts: 9
    Hi, everyone.
    Can anyone recommend a good detailing place in Northen Virginia (D.C. Metro)? Thank you!
    I've heard good things about Flagship up in Rockville, but that may be a little out of your way.
  • cartalk1cartalk1 Member Posts: 13
    Should I decide to change the oil (and filter) myself on my new G35x, does anyone know what kind of proof I'd have to provide if there was ever a warranty question? I can show someone a receipt for the oil, but that doesn't necessarily prove that I actually changed it.
    Legally, the dealer would have to prove that any work performed by others (3rd party or yourself) and/or using 3rd party pars (non-OEM) is the direct cause of any specific trouble. Fortunately, the Federal Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act (http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm#Magnuson-Moss) covers you in this regard. So, for example, if you changed your own tires, for example, and then your alternator died, the dealer could not fairly void the warranty as a result and say it's your responsibility.

However, other cases may be more subtle. For example, some of those VW/Audi owners who modified their ECU's to boost the turbocharger pressure ran into trouble when turbo's started dying on them and clutches started frying early. Although the legal burden lies with the dealership/manufacturer, it can certainly be a very steep uphill climb in some cases, and paying your dealer frequent visits helps maintain a warmer and more loyal relationship that generally helps you with warranty questions.

But I digress; I suggest doing the oil changes yourself...I was just elaborating on the topic.
    The Chantilly, VA Infiniti dealership just opened up this month, and I paid them a visit for a brake job. They quoted me about $250 cheaper than my "regular" dealer (although I'm seriously considering dropping them now), so I had no problem making the switch. I showed up this morning, and the facility is beautiful: clean, spacious, very comfortable (the waiting area's got a plasma TV and nice leather chairs; makes some of the other dealers feel like a Chevrolet waiting area), and the staff all seemed very cheery and professional.

Overall, a very impressive operation so far.
    I had a loaner car with Sirius installed. The display scrolled so you could see the whole title playing. Is this a feature that can be turned on? My Bose radio with XM only shows whatever fits in the display. Not a big deal but if it can be turned on, why not?
  • CRJCRJ Member Posts: 15
    Hi,

I currently lease a G35 coupe and I was wondering if someone can tell me if Infiniti will expect an OEM windshield as a replacement? Will they consider replacement with a non-OEM part excess wear?

Last week I was driving on the highway and a stone cracked my windshield. I contacted my insurance company and they recommended Safelite to repair it since it was smaller than a dollar. Safelite tried to repair it but it didn't work, so they offered to replace the windshield. I asked for an OEM replacement, which I waited about a week for, but they replaced it with a PPG #FW02367. The person who replaced it did a great job, but I now realize that PPG is not the OEM part. After driving today I also noticed some distortion and rippling in my line of sight. I'm going to call Safelite on Monday to see about replacing it again, but would like to hear some opinions on OEM versus non-OEM windshields, especially on a lease.

Thanks.
    I also had a stone hit my windshield when the car was only a week old. I also lease and had it replaced with a PPG part. My opinion is that as long as the windshield is an actual replacement part, Infiniti cannot say anything. Much like not using factory oil, factory spark plugs etc. So long as it's not broken and fits like the original. Too bad about the rippling, mine is better than the original.
  • sd_diversd_diver Member Posts: 20
    Stay away from Warranty Gold, or any other warranty company that goes thru National Warranty. I paid $1K to them in 2000 for a 7 year, 100K warranty. They (National) went chapt 11 in 2003. I now have a worthless warranty (but I'm selling that vehicle now that I just bought my g35 sedan!). Here are some of National Warranty's other companies:

Smart Choice/SC&E Administrative Services, Inc.
    American Road Warranty
    Intercontinental Acceptance Corp.
    Consumer Automotive Consultants
    Auto Union Warranty
    Independent Warranty Management Corporation
    Consumers Choice Warranty
    Triad
    Omni Auto
    Alternate Financial Acceptance Corporation
    Engine Parts Group

Stay away from any/all of these!!
  • guest123guest123 Member Posts: 27
    What do you guys recommend for keeping the seats clean and looking new? I have no experience with leather seats so any help will be appreciated.
    I have used Lexol with great success. My last car was a Ford Crown Vic LX-SAP with cheap Ford leather. After 4 years and 100K miles, the seats, including the driver's seat, all looked and felt like new. My new ride has the Wheat leather so I use Meguiars leather cleaning and conditioning cloths between Lexol applications. With the much better quality Infiniti leather, you should have years of service from your leather interior.
    What do you use for the carpet? I have Willow-looks really nice, but hard to keep clean esp. in winter.
    I Scotchgarded the carpets when the car was new. Now vacuum and just a damp cloth to clean up.
    All my weekday driving is city driving with lots of stops. Is this a bad thing for the engine break in? Should I just go random long drives on the freeway for the first 1200 miles while keeping it below 4000 rpm? What is a good way to break in?
    I already have about 70 miles so the initial 20 mile thing is gone..
    Have you noticed the aluminium strip that says INFINITI on both sides
    where the door meets the body. This gets damaged easily. I had a thin
    scratch today and with my extremely high intelligence I figured I could
    rub it off. I managed to create more deep scratches. now it looks like
    someone took a screw driver to it :(
    How do we keep this strip looking new?
    I found out the "strips" are called door sills. Anyway, they damage easily. I am
    going to ask the Infiniti dealer if they can sell me some spares but I am sure
    they are going to charge $$$ for it.
    How does one keep these sills looking new? any kind of protection available?
    like plastic coatings?
  • 3gs3gs Member Posts: 1
    CRJ,

I have leased 9 cars over the last 30 years and Nissan Financing is the best to return a car. They will have a pre inspection where the inspector will tell you exactly what you need to repair. I have returned two cars to them and they did not get picky about dings and tire tread and dirty floor mats. The inspector will tell you if you need an OEM windshield and you will have time to order it before you turn in the car. If your lease is not with Nissan but is with Chase Auto Finance then I hope you have an attorney on retainer because they are the worst. I returned my G35 and because I got a G35X they forgave the $450 of wear and tear and the dealer gave me a check for the excess mileage that will come out of my security deposit.
  • redz06redz06 Member Posts: 25
    My doorsill strips were damaged almost instantaneously. I took it back to my dealer ( Sewell in Dallas) and he was most helpful. They had no new ones in stock, so we searched through their entire inventory of G35 sedans to find two strips to replace my scratched ones. This told me that the part is extremely vulnerable to damage when cars that have been driven only once or twice have already been damaged.

The dealer recommended I cover my doorsill plates with the 3M transparent film (ie XPEL) to give them some protection. I did this and three years later the plates still look like new.

:)
  • norcalguynorcalguy Member Posts: 6
    Hello all! I got a sand color G35 sedan in April; love it and drive it everyday. Unfortunately last week when I pulled in to a parking spot, I got too close and scratched my right front bummer. It was on the surface and no read damage done.

But I am hoping that it can be touched up instead of repainting the whole thing. Anyone can provide me with some recommendations please? I am in Fremont/San Jose/Sunnyvale/Santa Clara area. Thank you (if the forum rule is that no names can be posted, please feel free to email me at mark_tuyhotmail.com - thanks again!)
  • zynduraizyndurai Member Posts: 5
    You can actually buy aftermarket ones for about $30. Some of them even say "Skyline" on them.
  • klpeelklpeel Member Posts: 46
    My new G35x is up to about 800 miles. In a week and a half I'll be heading off on vacation with the car, and wonder whether I should do my first oil change before I go. Or, I could wait until I come back and do it at a bit less than 3,000. I expect to put more than 1,000 miles on it over the course of about a week, including on some dusty VA/WV country roads.
  • ivorypearlgivorypearlg Member Posts: 53
    Hi my name is Ryan and the care and maintenance on my 2003 G35 Coupe is al right I suppose. In 2003 I traded my 2000 SAAB 9-3 Viggen in... Great Car ! and financed a 2003 Ivory Pearl G35 Coupe Auto loaded and paid a lot for it ! It was marked up a lot ! Anyway just had my G serviced Aug 11th and my bill came to $460.86.. That included the service anything that had to be replaced (Oil, Washer Drain, Oil Filter, Air Element, Wiper Blades, Fuel System Cleaner, Micro Filter, A brake clean, Washer Solvent and a wheel weight) That was the stuff they charged me for. Plus $ 221.00 in service. I also had a inspection which was 79.74. The items that were broken included the rear seat latch to fold down the seats " The wire snapped " which they didn't have the correct part for so it will be replaced next service. The other thing that was broken was the driver side window motor. This will be the second time it has happened and I am starting to get pissed ! Mostly because I am a CRNA in Center City Phila and the car is much easier to break into since the window doesn't seal and because I cant use the window for tolls etc ! That was fixed under the warn. Also the brake pads wear out fast mine were replaced twice.
    I just ordered the FX45 for my wife.. Surprise ... Ivory Pearl again ! The color is great ! I didn't get the rear video system and the crome rims.... The total was just over 55,000... Worth it I think ! :)
    redz06, thanks for the tip. I checked the XPEL site and all they have are precut
    kits for front etc. Is there a place I can order these plastic films from? I dont know if you are allowed to post links but some more details will help.

Zyndurai, I found the skyline kickstip too :)
  • mkrzyzekmkrzyzek Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2005 G35x that has just passed the 3,750 mark. Should I follow the schedule in the manual...or is this a bunch of bunk just to get me to pay $$$ every three months? If not, what would you recommend, every 5k?
  • mkrzyzekmkrzyzek Member Posts: 17
    Oh, I should have stated how I drive my G35x. Most of the miles are highway miles, and I live in the Northeast.

Thanks.
    I also have a g35x in the northeast. I have been following Infiniti's recommended 3750 mile interval though my driving is probably 60% commuting in light traffic and 40% highway. If most of yours is highway, I don't see a problem waiting to 5000 miles.
  • fotoeyefotoeye Member Posts: 5
    Hey Ryan

I live in West Mt airy and I'm picking up a G35(RWD) on Monday but after reading Post after Post on reliability, poor interior and brake problems, I'm 70/30 on the deal rather than 100%. My biggest concern was snow and rain. Since we both pratically live in the same area can you tell me your experience in these driving conditions?
  • scott6840scott6840 Member Posts: 5
    The power outlet in the dash on my G35 coupe keeps shorting out and blowing fuses (even when nothing is plugged into it). I need to repair the thing, but as my nearest dealer is over 100 miles away, I'd like to do it myself.

I have tried to remove the thing with no succes. Anyone know how its mounted? I figued it was just pushed into the hole, but that doesn't seem to be it. How do I get it out without screwing up the dash?

Thanks.
  • quidamquidam Member Posts: 3
    Hi all. i have a 05 G35 sedan MT , there is a light REV is always on, i asked the person from Infiniti's dealer, he said that is normal that the light is on all the time, but he failed to explain what the light is for. REV doesn't mean Reverse , so if anyone has an idea about this light please let me know , Thank you very much. .
  • mnrep2mnrep2 Member Posts: 200
    It means you need to up shift. Maybe it's time to read the manual :surprise: :)
    I wish it is that simple though, The light for up shifting is different, and manual explains everything but this :( how weird is that right ?
  • perunestperunest Member Posts: 42
    The REV (revolutions per minute) letters always remain lit. There is a square light right under the letters that will come on when you hit the rpm level slected. The light is programmable (see your manual). It comes from the factory set at 8000 rpm, which means it will never come on, unless you reprogram it.
    When you hold down your trip odometer button it will cycle through the two trip odometer memory positions and the REV memory location. Select the rpm level you want. It cycles up in 500 rpm increments until it hits 8000 and then it repeats. The square light will begin to flash at 500 rpm below the number you select and then stay on solid when it hits the selected number.
    I used it for the break in period on my 2005 six speed sedan. I set it at 4000 rpm (recommended maximum rpm for first 1200 miles). It started flashing at 3500 to let me know I was approaching the limit. At 4000 rpm it came on solid. This was not a problem, even on the highway, since the G35 can do about 80 mph in 5th gear. I just shifted back and forth between 5th and 6th during long trips about every 5 minutes to keep from running the engine at the same speed for too long (this is a break in period recommendation).
    When the break in period ended I set the REV limit at 7000 rpm, so the light flashes at 6500. Most of the time I don't get that far, but I autocross my car and when I'm racing it let me know when to shift, without having to take my eyes off the road to read the tachometer. If you never want to see the flashing light, just leave it set at 8000, where it was when they delivered your car. The REV letters will always be there, but the light below them will never flash.
    There is an electronic rev limiter built in that will shut down your engine at somewhere around 7500 rpm to prevent damage, so you won't need to worry about over strssing the engine, no matter where you st your REV light.
    Thank you for the clear explaination :) , I get it now, it was set at 5000, but after the first oil change they set down to 3000 and they told me that is the default setting from factory, it was so annoying , it blinked all the time, so i just set it up to 4300, which is fine for me. I have always driven stick shift car but this is the first time i have that kind of high tech though. I haven't have a chance to push my car to the limit yet, but it feels already great when i go up to 80, 90mph. Thank you for all again, and it's great to see another sedan 6MT. :)
This discussion has been closed.