Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti G35 Care and Maintenance

Comments

• Options
    blackcrowblackcrow Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 G35 Coupe, 6spd. You do not have to have them change your oil or use their parts. You can buy your own or have the oil changed at you place of choice, just make sure you use good products, and have the receipts with mileage to prove you had it done. I use Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filters. I got a good deal on filters from www.everything35.com or www.infinitipartsusa.com. They did have Mobile 1 filter at about $6.50 each if you bought 4.
  • Options
    blackcrowblackcrow Member Posts: 2
    Your tire pressures are on the lid of your center console. No way do you use the max pressure that the tire is capable of.
  • Options
    neptungrllneptungrll Member Posts: 48
    I just got my front pads changed and rotors turned. Now my brakes squeak when they did not before! I have already had it back once and they lubed them or something. Now the squeaks are back. I hate them too! If anyone knows of a solution, let us know. I will probably be taking it back to the dealer again for the squeaking.
  • Options
    redg356mt2005redg356mt2005 Member Posts: 5
    Not all red G35's have a severe chipping problem. My red G35 6MT was purchased new in April 2005. I immediately had a max size clear bra installed. It has worked very well. I have only 5-6 small pinhead type chips on the car including a couple on the hood above the clear bra, a couple on the doors and one on the roof. The car has now accumulated 17,000 miles of Southern California freeway driving so it has been exposed to plenty of road debris.
  • Options
    bocatripbocatrip Member Posts: 194
    I will be the first person to say that the Infiniti Paint is extremely weak and chips easily. I will also say that after speaking to a service rep at Infiniti, they have had more issues with the Laser Red with chipping than any other color. Many of these cars have been repainted. I would suggest that since this is a factory flaw, any owners who have issues with their Laser Red cars should go to corporate and don't settle for anything short of total satisfaction on your part. They are aware that the paint on that car is flawed. A clear bra will only help the areas that are covered, but that color is so weak it chips almost everywhere on the car. Anyway, Good luck. I personally will not buy another Infiniti because of it's paint. No other manufacturer has had as many complaints in this dept.
  • Options
    vinvipervinviper Member Posts: 11
    I bought my 06 Coupe G35 in Jan. Has about 1200 miles on it since I travel a bunch for business. Should I get an oil change or wait for more miles. Was thinking of going second week of June as that is the next time I will have free time. Thanks.
  • Options
    bigairnutbigairnut Member Posts: 15
    Cam,

What is the status on your paint on your coupe? I also the exact same problem and others on this site do as well. Yellowcar and Rollbar received complete buybacks from Infiniti last month. They have refused my request for the same offer. I am seeing a lawyer tomorrow. If you haven't already done so, you should search this site for posts by these two guys. Here is the web address to start your search and you can go from there: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef0b60c/2388

Let me know where you are in your case. Thanks.
  • Options
    jg1208jg1208 Member Posts: 1
    I am new to this forum.
    I am wondering if anyone has notices just how fragile the bumpers are on the g35.
    I have had minimal taps on the bumper which have led to what I consider to be very noticble scratches and dings on the bumper.
    I have driven many other fine cars in my lifetime, and have never experienced such damage with so little effort.
    Wondering if anyone can relate or if you may have some advice on repair?

Thanks,
    JG :confuse:
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Infiniti G35 Tires - stop on by!
  • Options
    xthecatxthecat Member Posts: 30
    My Dealer is recommending a "hot oil flush" every 30K. Is this necessary or just a money grab, as I never heard of it before?
  • Options
    dboedboe Member Posts: 69
    Tell him to keep his hot flushes.
    Keep oil changed per mfg. at a minimum.
    I'm for changing out all fluids every 30k.
    Trans, brake, and coolant.
    Maybe Power Steering too.
    P/S is easy. The G takes any Dexron III ATF I believe (double check your manual).
    Grab a turkey baster and empty out the reservoir. Refill with fresh fluid. No need to flush it, that's another dealer 'wallet dipper'! :)
  • Options
    factfinderfactfinder Member Posts: 103
    It's the anti-lock braking system kicking in.
  • Options
    factfinderfactfinder Member Posts: 103
    My 05 G35 has 10K mikes on it and a musty smell is coming out of the vents. Anyone experienced this? I'm assuming the micro-cabin air filter needs to be changed.
  • Options
    bret27bret27 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2005 G35X. At 20K rattles which sound like it is near the windshield started. Everytime I am on any kind of uneven street the rattle in the dashboard starts and even if I play the radio louder than normal I still hear the rattles. I had the windshield checked and it is not from that. The noise is driving me crazy. Has anyone had a similiar problem?
  • Options
    keitha3keitha3 Member Posts: 124
    Usually, when I've experienced this, I've interpreted it as meaning that water is pooling after running the air conditioning. What I've done to help out the problem is run the fan for about five minutes without the AC whenever possible to do away with the smell.

But, as always...I could be wrong.

Other, more knowing souls, will come on with more learned opinions.
  • Options
    ereza78ereza78 Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I have the same problem with our 2004 G35. We've taken our car in five times now and the stupid, annoying rattle is still there. The sound is coming from the dashboard/windshield area on the passenger side. Is this the same problem for you too?
  • Options
    bret27bret27 Member Posts: 10
    My problem is on the drivers side. They said they insulated a pillar and tighten something near the defroster. Worked for a day & now it is back and it is worse. I plan on taking it back to the dealer again but I don't have much convindence that it will ever be fixed. I have had 3 Q45 and never had a problem. I wanted a smaller car and now this happens. This is really irritating.
  • Options
    sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 27
    just purchased a g35 in the ny/nj/ct area. i don't particularly care for the dealer i bought it from; however, i'm really not sure what to expect from them...

does anyone out there know of a good dealer where i can get my car serviced/detailed in my tri-state area?

i'm considering making a few cosmetic changes (mild window tinting, something to protect the bumpers...i read someone else's post who wants to do the same thing).

does anyone have any suggestions???

happy driving!
  • Options
    bs55bs55 Member Posts: 15
    Thinking about getting a g35 and was reading the manual and it says it recommends 91 octane (premium). Has anyone run 87 octane (regular)? If so are there any problems? Has anyone put in 89 octane (plus).

Thanks
  • Options
    paulo6paulo6 Member Posts: 94
    I own a 2006 sedan 6MT, it RECOMMENDS premium, but does not mandate it. I used 87 at times, the timing adjusts for the lower octane, and I did notice slight degradation of performance. I mix and time put 93 and at times 87. My friend who owns CITGO station tells me their 87 is actually a 89, so I fill 87 from CITGO.
  • Options
    jmannixjmannix Member Posts: 12
    Had an '03 G35 and now a new '07 G35...been using Competition in Smithtown, New York. They treat you like a prince, work is done on time and no hassles. Been using from the beginning.... and their coffee and bagels are good too
  • Options
    scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    From the 2007 G35 Manual, page 9-3:

FUEL RECOMMENDATION
    INFINITI recommends the use of unleaded premium gasoline with an octane rating of at least 93 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (Research octane number 98).
    If unleaded premium gasoline is not available, you may use unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 AKI number (Research octane number 91), but you may notice a decrease in performance.

I don't understand why people would fill on the lower fuel though. :confuse:
    You're saving maybe a buck or two per tank, but then you lose MPG and performance.
    The money you save at the pump, you'll lose with the loss of MPG on the road.

If you don't care about MPG, you wouldn't ask the question.
    If you didn't care about performance, you wouldn't have bought a G. ;)
  • Options
    Don't know if this is the right place for this but the finance manager told me of a prepaid maintenace plan ...the top package is around 2373, dont have the paper work with me but basically you get all the premium maintence in the book that the G came with for 60 mo/ 75k. Do you think this is a good deal, havent purchased yet. They said retail is 4500 for having all that work done. Worth it? Has any body else got this or heard of it? Prices paid or offered?
  • Options
    75,000 miles / 3,750 miles = 20 oil changes
    20 oil changes X $40 = $800

That leaves $1573.00 for other maintenance in the guide.
    My car has not been delivered yet and I can't seem to find a maintenance guide online.
    Is this other $1573 money well spent?
    Is this just covering things like brake inspection (scam) and belt inspection (scam) stuff, or does this also cover wear items like brakes?
  • Options
    raizelgsraizelgs Member Posts: 84
    http://www.nissantechinfo.com/infiniti/deptog.asp?dept_id=56

Above link is for INFINITI G service manuals. 2007 is there. Suggested and required maintenance are in the manual. I have a 2005 coupe. I bought a dealer package of lifetime oil changes for $320. I have had little extra paid maintenance (25000) miles. I had some filters changed at 16000. I think most of their dealer suggested maintenance fits your scam category. Inspections, etc.

RG
  • Options
    :D Thanks! :D
    $320 for lifetime oil !?! Awesome deal.
    I'd consider that myself, even with the dealer being 75 miles away.

(I was planning on hitting the new neighborhood Nissan dealer for oil changes, even though the thought frightens me a little)
  • Options
    Was your lifetime oil changes specific to your dealer or a Nissian or Infiniti plan. This sounds way better then the plan they are offering me.

What area did you get this plan from..interested in contacting them if its a company plan. Thanks
  • Options
    I think it is a dealer plan. I live in the Detroit area. I don't know if I can mention the dealer name or not. It is the only Infiniti dealer in SE Michigan.

My car has 25000 miles now. I have had six oil changes (every 3750 miles). They also change the filter and do a nice hand wash and clean the inside. :) It is a great deal. I figure it's paid for by 36000 and then all oil changes past that point are free. :):)
  • Options
    thanks. i am closer to the nyc area. tried infiniti of manhattan. unfortunately as i expected, the maintenance department tried to price gouge me. after a bit of confrontational discussion, they backed off. however, after speaking with another owner (who uses them) he says he only uses them on absolutely necessary infiniti warrantied items. otherwise, he goes to another mechanic.

i may have to follow suit....

Park Avenue Infiniti in Englewood, NJ charges for its coffee and offers nothing. Don't know about Pepe Infiniti, although I have seen a lot of complaints about scams.

It's just so confusing ;)
  • Options
    Wow! Charges for coffee. My dealer, Suburban Infiniti, has coffee and donuts, and does a handwash and detail on each maintenance job.
  • Options
    My dealership of choice has 14 Wash & Reconditioning Bays and a free Touchless Car Wash.
    And they don't charge for coffee either. ;)
  • Options
    esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    Salerno Duane in Denville, NJ has free coffee and washes the car after any service for free. They replaced the battery in my remote control and washed the car!
  • Options
    justg0justg0 Member Posts: 70
    I hate to tell you this, but nothing in this world comes for free! Someone (that is you) is paying somehow for all the so called "free" stuff that you are getting :surprise:

Sometime back, the toyota dealer that I used to go to for service completely rebuilt their showroom/service center. Free wifi, plasma TVs in waiting areas, free cookies, coffees with free mugs/cups, ... Guess who paid for it - I and other people who go there did!
  • Options
    hi,

we pay for it anyway, anytime we go to the dealer. BUT it makes us feel better when we get hosed, if they treat us nice :D .

who wants to get hosed and punched in the nose at the same time :)
  • Options
    joeshanjoeshan Member Posts: 70
    I've had good service from Pepe; no complaints whatsoever.
    Two out of three service reps there are new to Pepe, btw.
  • Options
    wes_888wes_888 Member Posts: 38
    Hey Guys -- I need your help. I just dealed yesterday for an 07 G35x and I expect to get it within 3 weeks.

How important is it to have the Car Protection Package? This package includes Rust, Interior, and Paint Protection for 999 bucks. I live in Canada, so I I get my fair share of salt and snow during the winter times.

Correct me if im wrong, but I heard that the way cars are made these days, it would be very difficult for these cars to rust. Am I wrong? Is it important to have this "rust protection" thing? or is this just a money grabbing ploy? I am planning on keeping the car for at least 8-10 yrs.

And Paint Protection? what is that all about? DOes that do anything?

Did you guys get this package when you guys bought ur G35? Let me know. Thanks! It would be very much appreciated. I still have time to let the dealer know if I want to get it or not.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    It's called "mop & glo" in the business, otherwise known as a pack, also known as additional dealer markup. Tell them to keep it.

Take a fraction of that money to run your car through a touchless (spray only) car wash in the winter when you're dealing with salted roads. Have the car professionally detailed once a year & you'll still probably come out ahead.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    Car Protection Packages are a complete ripoff.
    Save your money and become educated in detailing your own car.
    It's not diffcult, and with a little reading and practice, you'll get better results than any "pro" could provide.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    ". . .you'll get better results than any "pro" could. . ."

Good point -- you can at least equal their results & have an excellent opportunity to go over your car & find any dings fairly quickly so they can be touched up before they get any worse.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    So you guys think I shouldnt get anything added to my car then right? or is there anything that you guys can suggest that I get from the dealer before I pick up my ride.

Like clear bra? or anything at all?

I know this much, im gonna get the all weather floor mats. And wheel locks. lol
  • Options
    I would not drive that car off the lot without having a clear bra applied first.

I also opted for Wheel Locks, Splash Guards and All-Weather Mats.
    I also picked up an all-weather trunk liner from Weathertech as well.
  • Options
    kring5kring5 Member Posts: 144
    +1 on the Clear bra... take it from someone who had a lapse of reason and didn't get it... I regret it everyday.
  • Options
    Did u get lots of stone chips on our car already?

What kind of driving do u do? do u do lots of highway driving or just normal street driving?
  • Options
    kring5kring5 Member Posts: 144
    yes a lot of chips in the first 500 miles, at 4000 it looks like the front was sandblasted.

70/30 mostly highway driving.
  • Options
    larrydrumslarrydrums Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 VW Passat GLX, 60,000 miles, mostly highway, and probably have 3 paint chips on the front hood. I don't drive overly aggressive but not a lightweight either. I take very good care of my cars, etc.... anyway, I am thinking about replacing this car with an 07 G35 sport.. I've drive the car and love it.. but I AM concerned about the comments here on paing durability. If the front of your car looks "sandblasted" at 4000 miles... to me, even if you drive on the [non-permissible content removed] of all cars ahead of you at 70+mph it shouldn't be that bad... is the paint really this fragile on these cars? where can I learn more about this?
    Are there other satisfied owners out there with 4000 miles and a mint front end ? thanks...
  • Options
    My front end is "MINT" but I also opted for $695 worth of 3M Paint Protection on the front end before the car left the dealer.

I have protection on the entire front bumper, fenders, hood and mirrors.

I drive the dreaded Mass Pike every day and they've been doing some road work through where I drive.
    They grooved the road and that causes tons of small pieces of pavement to get thrown up onto my front end from the cars in front of me.
    The first day was the worst, and the sound had me close to tears... I thought the front end was screwed for sure.
    It's still flawless.

Get the 3M film and enjoy your paintchip free car. ;)

BTW, here's a quick video showing the 3M protection.
  • Options
    There was a series of posts about a year ago about problems with the red paint. This seemed to be the only color that was having chipping problems. I have a 2005 black coupe that I drive daily in the Detroit area.

We have plenty of stone haulers on the highways. I have one paint ding in 27000 miles of driving. There is nothing wrong with my paint. If you read carefully, most of the paint complaints were related to the red paint. At least one person got Infiniti to take his car back for a new one.

Check the old messages.
  • Options
    And isn't the 07 Red a new color anyway?
    Infiniti is known for trying to correct past mistakes.
    If there was a known issue, the newer color may be the reason why.
  • Options
    matthewt24matthewt24 Member Posts: 7
    I have an '06 Slate Blue 85% highway with just over 10K miles. Front bumper/hood does not look sandblasted, but there are some definite chips (atleast 5 nicks). i also have an '04 Passat (Samoa Red) that in 40K miles of 80% highway driving only has two nicks. You'd think that with such fragile paint and Infiniti being a luxury brand, they'd have made some changes by now. how about a standard clearbra? fortunately, my G is leased, so i'm not too concerned about the thin, crappy paint. it will be their problem to deal with in 2 1/2 years.

now don't get me startled on those blasted rattles and squeaks.

otherwise, awesome car. great styling and an unbelievable drive.
  • Options
    zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    It's still flawless
    Just remember though, if the object is big or sharp enough, it will penetrate the 3M - I had an Avalon and a rock did just that.
    Z
This discussion has been closed.