Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    fatwalletfatwallet Member Posts: 17
    The incentive is for the dealer. We don't get it directly, so no tax. Plus that's a part of your negotiation. They dont show the rebate anywhere in calculations.
  • Options
    acuraxyzacuraxyz Member Posts: 8
    Yes. That was the Internet Price quote from Brooklyn, NY dealer. BTW I got a quote of $39,350 today for Tech w/Ent.
  • Options
    acurashopper3acurashopper3 Member Posts: 6
    Does this price include destination?

Do you mind sharing the name of the dealer? I am seriously considering driving there just to get that price:)

Thanks,
  • Options
    this is what the dealer proposed as their final offer. I walked out. they haven't called me back (been 24 hours). Not sure what to do now.

MDX with tech = $39900 (jncludes dest)
    Doc fees (junk) =$ 600
    Total = $40,500
    Tax (6%) = $2430
    State fee = $21
    Total out of the door: $42951
    I offered him on the phone my out of door as $41,700.

Update: Dealer called me a few minutes ago (been 1.5 days) and wants me to come in tomorrow to settle the deal. I didn't ask the numbers again. I said ok, I'll see you tomorrow.

Please help me strategize the deal for tomorrow to get it for 41,700 as I said. What should I do? We did not discuss financing. I can pay cash or get financing. what would be best to get the price I want. A friend of mine suggested going with a cashiers check already made out for 41700. Is that a good idea? How should I go about the whole thing tomorrow. Please please please help. I am desperate for help.
  • Options
    goel_argoel_ar Member Posts: 12
    acuraxyz, do you mind telling me which dealer & whether it is over email or in-person?

Also, what other fees etc. is being charged on top of it?

I would really appreciate if you could mail it - goel_ar at yahoo.com
    Thanks,
    Arun
  • Options
    habsonehabsone Member Posts: 47
    Hello,fatwallet, This is how i like to calculate.
    MSRP
    45850 (incl.des.)
    INVOICE
    41734 (incl.des.)

Minus $ 2000 incentive Minus 2 to 3 % Hold backs(about$ 1000).My rough calculation $ 38734 Plus 6 % sales tax $ 2324 = $ 41058 Plus other fees (dealer,tag,etc.) = $ 41700 OTD which you already have offered.You should not pay more than $ 41700 even if you're financing.Also try to get add-ons for free(if the car has any) bc he is charging $600 doc.fee.If that doesn't work do not pay more than 30 to 40 % of the listed price if you really want this car.BTW there is nothing to negotiate since you already offered him $ 41700 OTD just do not give in to his tactics to get more from you.IMHO $ 41700 OTD is a very good deal for you and dealer.GOOD LUCK. BEST REGARDS, habsone
  • Options
    joey_deyjoey_dey Member Posts: 5
    You got an awesome quote. Please tell me how you negotiated this. Dealers here in jersey don't seem to move from 36.4K (inc/dest)+TTL on base MDX.

Any help much appreciated.
  • Options
    $39,350 price does not include destination. The dealer is Open Road Acura of Wayne, NJ. What do guys think of this price?
  • Options
    Can you please tell me how you negotiated with them?

Thanks
  • Options
    Dear habsone,

Thank you Thank you Thank you.

You put things in order for me. Helps me look at it more clearly now. The dealer is giving me Protection package1 with it. I don't think it is free. He says it is already there for the car I want. So I guess he included the additional $360 (or whatever it actually costs him) into the price.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    This price is awesome! I hope they really go with it...

Here in IL, it is so HARD to get it for under $41,000 (excl.destination)...
  • Options
    It's Wayne, NJ dealer.
    40,160 (incl dest)
    +2811 (7% Sales Tax)
    +160 (NJ Supp Title Fee)
    +396 (Registration Fee for 4-years)
    +398 (Doc Fee)
    +20 (Other Fees)
    ---------------
    43,945 Total
  • Options
    2009mdxfan2009mdxfan Member Posts: 5
    Mines also came with Bridgestones. My salesman told me that the non-base models come with Michelins. I was also thinking about getting a backup camera but we'll see. Need to do a little research on it first. I am hesitate about installing non-OEM items like a camera. They never turn out as good as I expect. Which manufacturer were you thinking about getting and what is the total cost to get something like that done. But you are certainly right about it being difficult to back up with this SUV. My babies front facing car seat is right behind me and it sits up pretty high which makes it even more difficult to see anything on the back left side.
  • Options
    Hello,Again fatwallet, $360 for pp1.As long As it is incl. in $41700 OTD is even better deal, I am sure you could care less how you ended up with $ 41700 OTD.Reading your post make me believe that you have finalize the deal.Please let us know so other fellow members can get some insights in to what kind of deals people are getting in your neck of the woods.GOOD LUCK.

Best Regards,

habsone
  • Options
    Yehhhh! I am a proud owner of MDX now. Out of the door for $42000 even. Sale price: $39,600.

Thanks to everyone who helped!

Very close to 41,700. We were $1500 apart in negotiation 2 days ago. I went in today and told my final price is what I said on phone - 41.7. Ofcourse he said no. I walked out. He called again and said to split the difference. I said no. I am willing to do 42000 even. and not a penny more. he said yes. Signed the papers and then waited to get the car detailed and sign the papers. Took 15 of negotiation, but long 2 hours of signing the papers and getting the car ready for me.

here's the details:

2009 MDX with Technology and Protection Package1
    MDX $39,004.83
    Doc fees $598.00
    subtotal $39,602.83
    6% tax $2,376.17
    state fee $21.00
    Total $42,000.00

Anyone who needs to know where I went, post back. It was at Jackson Acura in Atlanta area (Roswell to be exact). The sales guy was nice. He didnt do anything shady. Very courteous. I would highly recommend him.
  • Options
    Need your input. While buying the MDX, they went over a few options. I declined all. But a couple caught my attention. How do you feel about it?
    1. Stone X - a clear coat to prevent dings. Cost quoted for front and bottom- $800. A friend recommends NOT to get it, since the car changes color over a period of time. The coat in front/bottom will make it look like car is of 2 colors. What do you say?
    2. Front window tinting? Is it a good idea? Cost quoted: $400.
    3. Parking sensors. My MDX barely fits in my garage. Have to fold mirrors. Pain in the butt.
    4. Want to get DVD installed from outside? Any recs - overhead or headrest, which one to buy, where

Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    Congrats sir!! Is this for a Tech only? or Tech/Ent?
  • Options
    looking4mdx1looking4mdx1 Member Posts: 12
    no to all.. you don't need any of those!
  • Options
    looking4mdx1looking4mdx1 Member Posts: 12
    $600 DOC FEE ????i mean WT............
  • Options
    2009 MDX with Technology and Protection Package1
  • Options
    thanks. appreciate the feedback.
  • Options
    I agree. All dealers in Atlanta do that. I tried to evade it but....
    In any case, I negotiated on out of door price. I told them I don''t care what they want to fill in sales price, doc fee price, sales tax, u had my starbucks price, u used my wifi price. Just make the Grand total to be 42000.
  • Options
    Congrats, I hope you did not mention your 'Edmonds' name to stealer :):):) as $800 for clear coat sounds too expensive to me,as for window tinting,i am not in to that,DVD well, as far as headrest is concerned,passengers sitting in the 3rd row will not have good view IMO.NOTE -- people who spend too much money on after market products might not get the money back when they trade their car bc dealers will only pay you for the equipment car originally came with.Dealer add ons before the purchase may be taken in to consideration.

Best Regards,

habsone
  • Options
    Hmmm...800 is surely expensive. But should I be shopping around? Is clear coat advisable?

Point noted on after market products. You're right on that. Good point on headrest.
  • Options
    I know very little about clear coat.However many people do it,may be some one on forum can advise us regarding this topic.

Best Regards,

habsone
  • Options
    apex1123apex1123 Member Posts: 6
    Funny I have a car seat in mine too. Even if the car seat wasnt there its hard to see out back. I havent research any backup cameras yet so I'm not sure what to get. I do have the Poron backup system for another SUV we have but its not a camera, it beeps and talks to you as to how far the object is behind you. Its OK but needs to be modernized. Let me know if you ever find a good backup camera. I'll be waxing my MDX this weekend!
  • Options
    I spoke to several people today. Even people who work for Stone-X. Invisimask. Xpel. Many other 3M products. happened to be a good day that i was getting honest people who were not running after my money. Their input is-yes it is good. But for places like Denver where they put gravel on road and you would have lots of chips/dents. The other thing is they say, White and Black are the hardest to do a paint protection on. White because, it changes color with sun. The actual paint probably doesnt fade. But the clear film turns a little pale. Black because, the actual paint fades, but the film doesnt show aging on black. And in the end , on both white and black, after a few months (specially in summers) it looks like 2 different colors. he also said, shades of Gray/silver are the best one to get it done. Dealer quoted (Front+ Bottom) = $800. StoneX certified independant shop quoted: $600. PS: Dealer called back with $600.

I have decided not to get it done, since I got the pearl white. But maybe this information can help others.

I am in the market though for DVD entertainment system. If somebody has any recs for which, where to get it installed in Atlanta metro area, would appreciate it. The dealer had quoted me like $1300 for it. I think it is high. For $2000 I could have gotten the tech + entertainment model, 1300 just for DVD is high.
  • Options
    PS: google "clearbra and white cars". You will read several sad stories of how ugly it turns out on White. I hope anybody here buying White thinks twice before taking the plunge on any kind of "paint protection", 3M or not.
  • Options
    Acuraxyz,

Do you know which salesman are you dealing with? that sounds like a decent deal but the sales person on phone is not even coming close to that.
    #1- he is saying they don't have tech + ent.
    #2- for tech only - he is giving me price of 41k (incl. dest) + all the fees.

I am in New York area, if anyone knows which dealer is offering good deals, please let me know.

You can email me also, goel_ar@yahoo.com.

Great forum...
    Thanks a lot to everyone...
  • Options
    driverinctdriverinct Member Posts: 2
    I just bought (this week) MDX with Tech for $40,200 with destination included. Try Rallye in Roslyn, NY or DCH in Montclair, NJ.
  • Options
    Sounds to me like very similar deal $41K /w fees. very close to $40,200.
    For me Montclair, NJ did not want to budge from 36,411 inc dest. Wayne, NJ dealer. offered 35,800 for base but their doc fees are $400. Based on posts here there is still room.

Can someone tell me what is my price. And what do I say to get it.

much appreciate.
  • Options
    goeal_ar,

I bought Tech/Ent for 40,160 (incl destination). The sales person is telling the truth that they don't have any more in their inventory, but check with them frequently.
    It just happened that I called them and found that they had one in their inventory. I told the salesman my bid and he gave me this offer and put the car on hold for that evening. So I just lifted his offer.
    I hope this was a decent buy. Good luck
  • Options
    Do you know which salesman you dealt with? I am having very hard time them coming down to 40,200. Even if I tell them someone bought it recently from them, they asked for name...
    any idea how can I get them to agree to 40,200?
  • Options
    maxzoey1maxzoey1 Member Posts: 34
    Just bought my MDX Tech today. Of course I have to wait for it to come in because it is a September build. I was told by my salesman that there will be only 3 colors produced in September,October and November, that is Black, Silver and White. I don't know if this is true for the USA those were the only colors for Canada. Good thing my choice was either Black or Silver with black interior.I don't know why Acura does this, limiting production to 3 colors. You would think they would like to give customers what they want, but I guess not.
  • Options
    42k (incl.) dest for Sports & Ent. - How is the price?
    I was looking for Tech & Ent. but that is hardly available.
  • Options
    Excellent deal. I paid $42500 incl. dest. and protection package plus tax and tag.IMO still a very good deal even if dest. not included.Just make sure that when you go there to purchase you purchase 2009 MDX Sport/Entertainment not 2009 MDX Sport.GOOD LUCK

Best Regards,

habsone
  • Options
    Spanish sales lady (cannot post name) at open road acura in Wayne, NJ. negotiated by phone, they prepared the car for me, came in signed the papers was out in one hour (my wife didn't even complain).

Price and negotiation was the best in the area. I am from the jersey shore area, when I asked local dealers to match the price no one even called back after checking with their manager.
    Sales lady does not mind being referred from edmunds. my price was 35800 in dest. for base. However, I think I could have negotiated 35300 but I got worn out from trying to deal with other dealers lol.
  • Options
    mike670mike670 Member Posts: 6
    I was a told something similar today that there will only be 3 colors (Black, White and Silver) on 2009 MDX's produced for the rest of the year. It's a shame as I had been searching every dealer within 100 miles of me for a Sterling Gray with the Tech Package.

I am debating on waiting for December when the 2010 models are released to get a 2010 MDX in Gray. Unfortunately, I would imagine that the 2010's will cost at least $3,000 more when factoring in the slight increase in cost for the new model plus the fact that the $2,000 markting support will probably not be available come December. Cars purchased before Decemer 31st also are available for the sales tax deduction, which for me would equate out to about $1,200 in tax savings when I file my 2009 tax return in April 2010.

Is anyone else debating on whether it's best to purchase a good deal now on a 2009 OR to sit tight for a 2010?

BTW - I received the following quote on a Black on Black 2009 with the TECH package, which is $2,500 LOWER THEN INVOICE...

Selling Price: $39,205.00

Sales Tax (estimate): + $3,830.68
    Tag/Registration Fees (estimate): + $509.00
    Tire/Battery/MVWEA: + $8.75
    Other: + $29.00
    Documentation Fee: + $55.00
    Flat Add/County Fee: + $30.00
    Balance Due (estimate): $43,667.43
  • Options
    wpittmanwpittman Member Posts: 1
    Bought my Bali Blue Sport/Ent from Norm Reeves in Mission Viejo two weeks ago, already have 1300 mi on it.Absolutely love it except that I found out 2010 will have butt coolers and a hard drive. Oh well.

Give them a call. They have an excellent selection and competitive pricing.
  • Options
    Congrats, wpittman on your purchase.Please share with us details of your purchase.Thank You and Good Luck.

Best Regards,

habsone
  • Options
    maxzoey1maxzoey1 Member Posts: 34
    I believe Sterling Gray was discontinued about 3 months ago, so I think that color will be impossible to find.

The 2010 MDX with the improvements sounds exciting, but what prompted me to buy now were the incentives, that I fear will be discontinued, and secondly the new six speed transmission. I got caught with my 2000 TL where they introduced the five speed transmission, and went four months waiting for a replacement transmission. I am hearing that problems with the new six speed transmission is what has delayed the release of the 2010 MDX to December. Hopefully this delay will take all the kinks out of the new transmission.
  • Options
    lizzyplizzyp Member Posts: 4
    This can get so crazy. I am in NJ and got a final price for a 2009 MDX w/Tech of $39,702 inclu $810 destinaltion fee. Is this a good price or can I do better? I got a price from someone at Open Road in Wayne, when I drove the 45 min there the salesman I spoke to was no longer in that showroonm (spoke to him on FRI) and none of the cars they said were on the lot were there, now they have to bring one in from their other dealership. The whole thing sounds shady. I am hoping Denville gives me the same $ or better, I live about 2 miles away from there. Any advice?
  • Options
    maf1maf1 Member Posts: 17
    The 2009 inventory is scanty at best. There are only a fex MDX tech in my state(MA), and the best prices for an MDX tech are 41,300 when the target price is somewhere around 39,700. Are other people having this problem now?
  • Options
    brvbrv Member Posts: 2
    Hi maf1

I also live in MA and was looking for the tech pkg. We got a price of $40150 incl dest from First Acura in Seekonk. They have no inventory, but were willing to find one for me. According to Edmunds and Truecar that is a good price. Not sure how folks are getting dealers into the $39k range.

The area dealers did not have the color combo we wanted so First Acura is getting me the silver w/black from another dealer out of state.

Good luck
  • Options
    kidd996kidd996 Member Posts: 6
    I'm a newbie to this site as I just found it yesterday. This is my first post. Thank you to all who have contributed to this forum. I have found this forum to be very informative. I'm in the market for a 2009 MDX. I'm leaning towards Sport w/ Ent but price and inventory availability will be involved in my decision. Based on what I have gleaned from the many posts in this forum, it looks like the dealer invoice (incl dest.) is approximately 9-10% less than MSRP. Can anyone verify or correct my estimates below based on actual transactions? Thanks in advance.

Dealer Invoice (incl dest) Estimate:
    MDX base $37,620
    MDX Tech $41,561
    MDX Tech/Ent $43,081
    MDX Sport $43,350
    MDX Sport/Ent 44,933
  • Options
    zuluwarriorzuluwarrior Member Posts: 22
    Base is 38062.00
    Tech is 41734.00
    Sport is 43649.00
    Tech/Ent is 43321.00
    Sport/Ent is 45225.00

There is a 2000.00 factory to dealer incentive thru Aug. 31st.
    Dealers have approx 2% holdback of invoice price
    This effectively means that REAL DEALER COST
    on a base is 36062 minus holdback of 2% of 38062 or 761.00
    true dealer cost is 35301.00
    That however does not include salesman commission, overhead
    or anything else. In my experience Acura dealers are willing to deal
    on these, but not to the point of giving them away as they are in somewhat
    short supply overall. I purchased a base today for 37100.00 and the
    dealer was willing to locate the color I wanted. I think I did Okay.
    He's got millions wrapped up in real estate and he only made around 1500.00
    on my car. I think that's more than fair.
    I financed with my credit union at 4.75 for 78months.
    One resource you can use to view inventory at dealers out of your area
    is www.autotrader.com this is typically a used car site, but MANY new
    2009's are listed on there along with data on how many of each type a given
    dealer has.

Good luck
  • Options
    icathyicathy Member Posts: 2
    mike, what city are you in? will you share what dealership you got your $39,205 quote from? i am also looking for tech package.
  • Options
    icathyicathy Member Posts: 2
    lyonsee, what city and dealership did you purchase your car from? would you share your OTD price and the breakdown of that price? thanks!
  • Options
    swinglineaeroswinglineaero Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,
    Long time reader, first time poster. Got a quote from LI Acura dealership for a Tech package for $40,335 incl dest. Reading some of the other comments, seems that Open Acura of Wayne probably has a better deal. Any thoughts on this price vs what others are seeing in the area?
  • Options
    mdxbuyer4mdxbuyer4 Member Posts: 2
    Thx for the response. If you dont mind, why did you not use Acura financing which is around 2.9%?