Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

How do I know if I need a fuel filter or fuel pump? 2001 Ford Explorer Sport.

kjam60kjam60 Posts: 2
edited October 2014 in Ford
I have a 2001 ford explorer sport. If car has good amount of gas in it , it usually starts. When the gas gets low it won't start unless i charge the battery for a few min. Been told several different things and am getting really confused

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    edited October 2014
    You would have to measure the pressure in the fuel rail with a gauge, otherwise, everyone is just guessing. There are many reasons why a vehicle might not start, especially on a car that is 13 years old. So measure the fuel pressure.

How To Test Explorer Fuel Pump
  • kjam60kjam60 Posts: 2
    I just had my car smogged about 4 wks ago and it passed with flying colors. Is that the same kind of compression test
  • iap1iap1 Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 ford explorer sport i have been enjoying until about three weeks ago when i filled my fuel tank at a filling station. I discovered a change in its performance while driving. the problem i have now is that even though the moves without any problem, the engine begins to slightely fluctuate on its own the moment i come to a stationary position and later goes off if i do not move my gear from drive to park. Restarting the car is not difficult at all. What could be the problem? i have filled my fuel tank twice sinc the incindence to neutralize the bad fuel but i am still experiencing the problem. I got a technician only last saurday to service the injector nozzles but the same problem presist. i need advice please...