Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Don't dealers do it with the Select Monitor thingy? I've picked up my car after a major service and had to reset the clock.

Found this on http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm#2.4

"..The ECU is reset (the dealer uses either a diagnostics computer called a "Select Monitor" to zero all memory settings, or he disconnects the battery for long enough to allow the back up capacitor to drain). After this has happened, the ECU reverts to factory settings and has no previous history of limits learnt from the knock points of previous fuel grades... "

-Dennis

• Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I'm not even sure my car has ODB I let alone ODB II :)

I'll probably wind up resetting the ECU when I do work on the PS pump motor cause the battery will be disconnected for that.

-mike
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Interesting, but that's UK, where OBD2 doesn't apply. I wonder if US dealers can clear all the memory like that. I'm leaning towards no - I'd think it would be illegal, effectively shutting down ODB2.

-juice
  • Options
  • Options
    Obi Wan Kenobe? LOL

Some Miata buyers actually seek out pre-ODB cars because they are much easier to tinker with. Try to find one turbocharged 2.5l Subaru engine that doesn't have the CEL taped over.

-juice
  • Options
    theobtheob Member Posts: 148
    For '01 OB: Anyone know where to jack using a floor jack for front and back halves or left and right halves?

Conversely, where would one place jack stands on the opposite side from the floor jack?

I'm wanting a convenient way to get all four wheels off the garage floor, so I can rotate and clean the wheels. I can add wooden blocks to back up the jack.
    Theo in Colo.
  • Options
    There's a cross member under the front of the Forester that is sturdy. At the rear, I use the differential. For the sides I use the OE jacking points, but I place a piece of wood there to spread the weight better.

To get all four off the ground, I would probably put jack stands at the left/front and right/front positions, and then use the jack on the rear diffy.

Never get under the car, though. For that I use ramps.

-juice
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Juice,

You bet US dealers can clear the ECU's error codes with the select tool. A hobbyist can do the same with a wide variety of OBDII tools, which are all about 5-10% the cost of the $1200 Subaru select tool. The select tool can do some unique stuff, like cycle the ABS pump to bleed the brakes and display max speed attained. (which isn't cleared after a reset!)

-Colin
  • Options
    So I guess the tool clears specific settings, not the whole memory. Makes sense.

-juice
  • Options
    jeannetteokjeannetteok Member Posts: 1
    Our '99 Forester, after jump-starting our friend's Volvo, is making this weird ticking noise, and the dash lights are blinking on and off. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Maybe an ECU error?

It's done it once before, once out of the blue when I was filling up the gas tank. Weird. Any help is appreciated.

Oh, and the car is off and the keys are out when this is happening.

Jeannette
  • Options
    2 options: ask a dealer to reset the ECU, or do it yourself.

If you choose the latter, let it cool, and then disconnect the negative battery terminal. Wait 30 minutes, reconnect, then start the car and let it idle for a few minutes.

That ought to clear the codes. I'd suggest that the Volvo owner get a stick next time, so they can push start it. :-)

-juice
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Jeannette,

How did you connect the jumper cables during the jump start?

-Colin
  • Options
    snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    Is it safe to plug/patch a tire on a Subaru? I own a 2 month old Outback with 2800 miles on it and I've just found I've picked up a nail in the middle of the thread. Do have a Gold Plus maintenance agreement which "covers" road hazards. Over the phone my dealer tells me that the extended warranty will not pay for a new tire (prorated) if the tire can be repaired. Anyone feel comfortable or uncomfortable driving on a "plugged" tire as I do? One more thing. The Bridgestone warranty that comes with the car states in bold red that the speed rating is voided on a repaired tire. Does this suggest a repaired tire is unsafe? SOA tells me the dealer can decide if the tire is safe. The Cross Country Motor Club which administers the road hazaard warranty for Subaru tells a repair should be fine, and if the plug bows out a few months from now, they'll replace the tire. Thanks.
  • Options
    How bout this. Take a steak knife and make the hole about 8" that ought to be big enough to make the repair impossible. Afterall it's a road hazard type guarantee so you are covered no matter what. :)

-mike
  • Options
    subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    I've driven on tires with a "plug" often with no problems, especially in the center of the tread. I've done this in my husbands car for a lot of miles and in my cars for quite a few. If it seems like it is leaking air after a few days, ask them to replace the tire.

Thanks!

Patti
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    it was 74 degrees here today in SE Wisconsin. sure enough, no piston slap of any sort this morning. But, just yesterday it was in the 40's in the morning and the piston slap was slightly evident. so ambient temperature and engine temp both factor in.

now if it had the piston slap today during the warm temps, I'd be concerned and would be parking it at the dealer as we speak.

almost time for the chat...

-Brian
  • Options
    mrk610mrk610 Member Posts: 378
    same here in South Jersey 70 no slap 48 in the morning slight slap . Have they offered to replace your short block Subearu.

mike k
  • Options
    when it was in for an oil change last time, I mentioned it (left it overnight too). so, it's documented at least. I'm not worried about it as long as it goes away once warmed up. but, I still monitor it just to make sure.

-Brian
  • Options
    ueynueyn Member Posts: 7
    '99 Outback - 50k miles

My piston slap is not evident above about 60 Fahrenheit, but below that temp I think I am starting to hear it even after an hour on the freeway. If it is below 60, it is very noticeable for at least 10-15 minutes after startup. I frequently have passengers ask "What's that noise?" It's started to get on my nerves.

I'm curious how many late-model subaru owners DON'T have piston slap. Seems like everyone is chiming in with: "Me, too."
  • Options
    A plug should be fine as long as it's not on the side wall. On the tread, sure, plug it.

-a piston slap-free juice
  • Options
    bsvollerbsvoller Member Posts: 528
    no slap here. 25k trouble free so far, except for the fool bug shield (now banished from my life and car).

picked up a rear hatch bar for the Legacy, will attempt to mount onto the Forester some time soon. Looks like it will fit... Want a way to verify that the hatch latched without turning the key to check the idiot light on the dash...
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    no slap, no problems other than poorish fuel consumption.

Ross
  • Options
    The hatch area has its own light. If you latch it shut properly, the light goes off.

-juice
  • Options
    rangerron7rangerron7 Member Posts: 317
    goes away after 10 minutes.

Ron
  • Options
    light goes off, hatch is not latched.
  • Options
    bird19bird19 Member Posts: 10
    Need some info/advice regarding:
    I've used 15" Nokias on my '98 Forester, but I intend to move on to a Subaru that uses 16' tires ('03 Forester, Legacy, or Outback models with 16" tires).

The Nokias have a a lot of tread left, and, due to the expense of new tires, wheels, etc. I would hate to have to sell them to get new 16" version of the Nokia when I get a new Subie.

I understand that t some U.S. versions of Outbacks and Foresters get 16" wheels/tires, while other countries may get 15" as standard.

So, my question is: Even if I get a US version of an '03 Forester, Legacy or Outback, with 16' tires as standard equipment, would I be doing any harm to the suspension, handling, etc. if I were to continue using the 15" Nokias that I have?

I know my odometer would clock faster, but I wonder, again, if suspension, handling, and clearance would be a problem?

I am posting this on other Subaru Crew boards, so excuse me if you see this post elsewhere.

Thanks!
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    You can usually use a plug if the hole is 3/16" or less - typical nail or small bolt. Still, the inside of the tire should be inspected for any more serious damage (shredding). Assuming it is a clean puncture, the plug should hold up just fine.

Steve
  • Options
    Really, Brian? Wow, I'd never heard of that. At least you're still under the B2B warranty.

bird19 (yet another Dave!): the overall diameter on the 15" rim is still the same, because the tire has a higher profile.

However, my concern would be having enough clearance for the brakes. The front rotors are bigger on all the cars you mentioned. So my guess is probably not.

-juice
  • Options
    The Legacy rear hatch bar fits the '01 Forester quite well, if you're willing to mount it between the latch and the "Subaru" letters. Prolly not for everyone, but I find it useful...
  • Options
    Sounds good - did you get any pics?

-juice
  • Options
    no pics, sorry - home computer's down and I don't have a scanner at work. haven't budgeted a digital camera yet...

I actually mounted it a bit higher than I needed to, but it still looks ok. I needed to stay clear of the key lock mechanism.

Actually access on the '01 was incredibly easy - I didn't even have to remove the inside cover on the hatch, since we have the lights mounted on the hatch as well as outboard, I just reached inside the light bulb access panel. Two holes drilled, and 123, we had a hatch bar.
  • Options
    Pretty clever, Subaru should put it on the accessory list for the Forester, and pay you a commission! :-)

-juice
  • Options
    paisan - you mentioned the PCV valve on the XT6, mine is the 2nd photo in this album, in case that helps any:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291908425

-juice

PS I finally caved and opened an account
  • Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    good point juice, the 02 OB/legacy has almost a 0.7in larger rotor, so 15in wheels may not fit. I had that problem when they went up about the same amount and my 14 in wheels from my 92 didn't fit my 98!
  • Options
    jregen7243jregen7243 Member Posts: 91
    Has anyone from NJ taken their Subaru in to a state inspectation station recently? What is the deal with the emissions test and AWD. I heard that they put your car on rollers or something. Also, are there any Subaru dealers in Central NJ that do state inspections??? (Flemington maybe)

Thanks!!

Jon
  • Options
    AWD cars don't get put on the rollers, at least not in NYS where they do dyno testing as well.

-mike
  • Options
    They have both 2wd and 4wd dynos at the emission places. Cars from 97+ get tested every 2 years. So, my Outback got tested last year. I too wondered about the dyno and how they might screw it up or something. But, all they did was hook up the OBDII connector and download some stuff. No dyno test at all. Will this happen again next year? I'm not sure. Guess it depends on what is downloaded - if there's a problem or questionable reading, maybe then the dyno test is used?

-Brian
  • Options
    In NYS on a yearly basis if a car is over X years old. NJ does a dyno, but not sure if they let it slide for a few years.

-mike
  • Options
    Jon: I'm in MD, but they did not put my car on the dyno. They just idled it in neutral. Guess they don't have an AWD dyno, like WI.

-juice
  • Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    .....but they're always broken.

BTW irvine Subaru has a house-cleaning thread on that other board that includes a SYMS Forester grille for $200
  • Options
    Hmm, the truck lane at the Gaithersburg location didn't have a dyno at all. Or maybe it wasn't deployed and I didn't notice it?

I like my grille - it was the only stock Forester ever not to get any chrome on it. I like it better than any OE grille to date.

-juice
  • Options
    Had mine done last August. As I got out of the car, I just gave them a friendly reminder that it's an AWD Subaru. I also kept an eye on them. Someone on the i-club in NJ almost had their car put on the dyno. They had to run over yelling, telling them to stop.

I'm not sure if Flemington does inspections. I doubt NJ will get an AWD dyno anytime soon. The current inspection situation is a big mess.

-Dennis
  • Options
    In MD there is a dedicated lane for AWD. Make sure you take it!

-juice
  • Options
    jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    Brian,

There's inspection in Wisconsin? Is it just a Milwaukee area thing? I've never heard of it or done it.

--Jay
    in norhtern WI
  • Options
    ochsskochssk Member Posts: 52
    Here in the Phoenix, AZ area, all AWD vehicles just get the idle test. Putting an AWD car on a two wheel dyno will destroy it. The last time I had a car tested they had a big list on a chalk board with AWD vehicles that do not get the dyno test. I think our state is passing the OBD test which may do away with the dyno test on later model vehicles.
  • Options
    lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    there used to be, but hey, we barely know how to vote!...they had elections in Palm Beach county last week with new electronic machines. Guess what...more problems and confusion. I think we are going to sell all of Palm Beach County to another country.
  • Options
    yep, we even have to use the reformulated gas down here too. basically, the milwaukee area south through kenosha county. But, I believe even Madison has vehicle testing. Not sure how far west/north it goes though.

if it's as non-intrusive as my last check was (just hooking up the OBDII and downloading), then it doesn't bother me that much. probably only took a few minutes to do, while the aging Dodge Caravan next to me was on the dyno 2 times and failed both.

-Brian
  • Options
    jregen7243jregen7243 Member Posts: 91
    Thanks to everyone who responded. It looks like I'll be heading over to beautiful Rahway tomorrow morning. I checked on the NJDMV site and couldn't locate any Subaru dealers near me who do this. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jon
  • Options
    tlimatlima Member Posts: 124
    Up here in little Rhody, AWD drive inspections are done via a 2-speed idle test (idle and 2500 rpm). Non-AWD get the dyno.

It's funny how the subject of inspections came up here today, as I just had my '01 Forester in for it's first inspection this morning. Just look at these numbers:

HC PPM Idle: 0 (allowable = 220)
    HC PPM 2500 RPM: 0 (allowable = 220)

CO % Idle: 0.0 (allowable = 1.20)
    CO % 2500 RPM: 0.02 (allowable = 1.20)

Can these be real, or did someone botch the test???

-Tony
  • Options
    Can't speak personally to whether your results are "real", but it is true that the 2.5 is an extremely clean running engine. It's NLEV certified as a passenger car engine, which means it meets the *proposed* 2004 passenger car requirements (I think 70% stricter than current IIRC), and did so beginning in 1999.

I don't know about you, but I'm glad to be doing my part, so to speak, driving a car that a) burns less fuel to begin with, and b) burns what fuel it does use very cleanly. Emissions standards are "parts per volume" requirements, so total consumption matters too. We have tried to "arrange our lives" if you will, so as to minimize our driving as well. We put 12k a year on, including extensive family vacations (25% of total miles).

Nice to know your '01 is still running so well. :)