Old 2004-2006 Lexus vs Newer 2011 Toyota/Honda SUVs

slipdslipd Member Posts: 1
edited October 2014 in Lexus
Hi,

My dad's looking at Lexus SUVs for around $15k (dealer price), but around that price you can only find older 2004-2006 SUVs with 130k+ mileage here in Alabama whereas for the same price you could get a 50k mileage 2011 RAV4, CRV, or other Honda/Toyota SUVs.

But he still thinks that even older Lexus SUVs will still have better reliability, will last longer with less maintenance, have better features, have better parts like engine/transmission/suspension/etc than newer Toyota/Honda SUVs. How can I convince him otherwise? Like, are there any good sites/resources/articles with comparisons or sites where I can get detailed car specs as proof?

Or am I wrong here, and older Lexus SUVs actually are better buys than newer Toyota/Honda SUVs at the same price?

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 210,467
    slipd said:

Hi,

My dad's looking at Lexus SUVs for around $15k (dealer price), but around that price you can only find older 2004-2006 SUVs with 130k+ mileage here in Alabama whereas for the same price you could get a 50k mileage 2011 RAV4, CRV, or other Honda/Toyota SUVs.

But he still thinks that even older Lexus SUVs will still have better reliability, will last longer with less maintenance, have better features, have better parts like engine/transmission/suspension/etc than newer Toyota/Honda SUVs. How can I convince him otherwise? Like, are there any good sites/resources/articles with comparisons or sites where I can get detailed car specs as proof?

Or am I wrong here, and older Lexus SUVs actually are better buys than newer Toyota/Honda SUVs at the same price?

The Lexus is a Toyota. That's not a slam, but a good thing. If he is looking at an RX350, then that's a luxury model that has a lot to go wrong with it, especially with 130K miles..

Of course, by comparison, a RAV4 or a CR-V is going to be a big step down in ride and refinement.. though, over time, they will be much cheaper to operate than a miled-up Lexus.

So... quality/reliability, it's a wash... except that one choice has 130K miles and the other has 50K miles...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaMember Posts: 64,482
    I don't see how you can conclude that a luxury SUV long out of warranty, with 2/3rds of its life already registered on the odometer, is going to be more reliable than a brand new vehicle made by the same company, complete with warranty.