Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Old 2004-2006 Lexus vs Newer 2011 Toyota/Honda SUVs

slipdslipd Posts: 1
edited October 2014 in Lexus
Hi,

My dad's looking at Lexus SUVs for around $15k (dealer price), but around that price you can only find older 2004-2006 SUVs with 130k+ mileage here in Alabama whereas for the same price you could get a 50k mileage 2011 RAV4, CRV, or other Honda/Toyota SUVs.

But he still thinks that even older Lexus SUVs will still have better reliability, will last longer with less maintenance, have better features, have better parts like engine/transmission/suspension/etc than newer Toyota/Honda SUVs. How can I convince him otherwise? Like, are there any good sites/resources/articles with comparisons or sites where I can get detailed car specs as proof?

Or am I wrong here, and older Lexus SUVs actually are better buys than newer Toyota/Honda SUVs at the same price?

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 127,999
    slipd said:

Hi,

My dad's looking at Lexus SUVs for around $15k (dealer price), but around that price you can only find older 2004-2006 SUVs with 130k+ mileage here in Alabama whereas for the same price you could get a 50k mileage 2011 RAV4, CRV, or other Honda/Toyota SUVs.

But he still thinks that even older Lexus SUVs will still have better reliability, will last longer with less maintenance, have better features, have better parts like engine/transmission/suspension/etc than newer Toyota/Honda SUVs. How can I convince him otherwise? Like, are there any good sites/resources/articles with comparisons or sites where I can get detailed car specs as proof?

Or am I wrong here, and older Lexus SUVs actually are better buys than newer Toyota/Honda SUVs at the same price?

The Lexus is a Toyota. That's not a slam, but a good thing. If he is looking at an RX350, then that's a luxury model that has a lot to go wrong with it, especially with 130K miles..

Of course, by comparison, a RAV4 or a CR-V is going to be a big step down in ride and refinement.. though, over time, they will be much cheaper to operate than a miled-up Lexus.

So... quality/reliability, it's a wash... except that one choice has 130K miles and the other has 50K miles...

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    I don't see how you can conclude that a luxury SUV long out of warranty, with 2/3rds of its life already registered on the odometer, is going to be more reliable than a brand new vehicle made by the same company, complete with warranty.