Options

Chevy Silverado - III

Comments

• Options
    rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    My dealer said we don't get any options on the 1999s as the 2000s do for the door locks. Either they are on (lock at 15-20 mph, no auto unlocking) or off (no automatic locking). Since my wife will drive sometimes I think I'll leave them on, or get that relay that will open them when the trans is put into park.

I had a chance to look closely at a Toy Tundra the past few days, as one is parked near where I work. I am amazed at how small it is. It seems smaller than any "full suze" truck ever made. Tim, (you being the expert on such comparisons) is it really that small, or am I just used to having such a big truck with the Silverado? The Toy doesn't look much bigger than a regular Toy tacoma. Looks very uncomfortable in back. And they still get worse mileage than the Silverado (even the v6 Tundra is epa estimated lower than the v8 5.3 Silverado).

Richard
  • Options
    joe8912joe8912 Member Posts: 1
    Flowmaster for Silverado 2000, 5.3 engine. 2 or 3 chambers?
    Advice please.
    Thanks,
  • Options
    dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    2-chamber is louder go for it
  • Options
    zbad71zbad71 Member Posts: 226
    I have a two chamber straight through Magnaflow muffler, dual out. Could not be happier. Much power increase and incredible sound. I can't tell you how many people have asked me to roll my window down at a stop light just to ask me what kind of exhaust system I have. Everyone raves about the sound.

Go for the 2 chamber. I was really skeptical and almost bought the 70 series flowmaster until I started researching it out.

One bit of strong advice....Don't do a true dual set up. Results in too much loss of low end torque.
  • Options
    kantonkanton Member Posts: 142
    I started with a Flow 2-chamber, not a delta-flow. This thing was way too loud. the interior resonace was terrible. the sound was so loud it was on the verge of ticket getting. I live in Santa Rosa where Flowmaster's headquarters are. all of the shops in the area say the two chamber is too loud, and sure enough it was. I ended up with the 70 series delta-flow. Very throaty, only a little bit of interior resonance at about 1500 rpm, still loud, great power increase and fuel milage as well. If anything, the 50 series delta-flow would be the loudest you would want to go. Have the shop put each muffler in place (without the tailpipes) and test each sound. that way you get exactly what you want. the second time around I had them do this and now I could not be happier!
    Good luck.
  • Options
    markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    They are great, looks? Where are you coming from on this Tim? Everyone that has 'em loves 'em. Only thing I would want different is a mini-convex mirror on the right side like the left. Work great pulling my 24' travel trailer. Nothing to go wrong as they are manual.

My truck is also no chrome except front bumper. And I picked up a set of '99 takeoff chrome rims from Discount tire. Had the street tires mounted on the new rims. Got the studdies mounted on the old painted rims.

Still no vibration with my 4x4 1500 5spd reg cab G80 4.10 rear end up to the speedo fuel cutoff at close to 100..... Wish I could get rid of that cutoff, cheaply
  • Options
    scoon8scoon8 Member Posts: 24
    What Flowmaster set-up would your MagnaFlow duals most closely resemble in its sounds/resonance ?

(did you run into any problem with muffler shops not familiar with MagnaFlow ?)
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Rwag,

How the Toiletta is considered full size...is beyond me? No...you are not seeing things..it be like 5/8 full size? (Mini Me) Full size WHAT Toiletta?....Toy?

Markbuck,

That's my opinion..I'm entitled to it..right? I did a massive double take and felt a chill of horror. Even said out loud..to myself..how nasty they looked. Remember...this is My personal opinion..(which seems to mean doo doo here)

hehehehee

I like Rock and Roll...perhaps you like Country? Doesn't make either one bad.

- Tim
  • Options
    vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    The new Toiletta as Tim so lovingly calls it is a little smaller everywhere but still holds a 4x8 sheet of wood. I suspect Tundra buyers will consider this a plus because it's easier to handle, park etc. The big compromise is the back seat. GM blows everyone away there.

GM Toy
    wheelbase 143.5 128.3
    length 227.5 217.5
    width 78.5 75.2
    height 71.2 70.7
    bed length 78.7 76.5
    width 50.0 49.3 wheel wells

There's more information than you really wanted.
  • Options
    Tim of course you are entitled to your own misguided opinions. Feel free to be as wrong as you wish, we will never condemn you.
  • Options
    I'm getting told my opinion is wrong?...what's up with that?

Uhh...don't Dakota's hold a sheet of plywood also?

- Tim
  • Options
    trucks4metrucks4me Member Posts: 42
    My Daughters Honda Civic holds a 4x8 sheet of
    wood, does this make it full size? Lets face
    it, the new Tundra is a compact compared to a
    Silverado, the dimensions you listed prove this.
  • Options
    dmickdmick Member Posts: 28
    Does anyone know after the fog light kit is installed if there is a need for the computer program to be modified?
  • Options
    tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    I wish to extend my gratitude to those Chevy diehards who keep their Toyota bashing within the Chevy topic. We Tundra owners truly appreciate it. It makes our Tundra topics much more enjoyable.

Now, I have some questions. Have any of you truck nuts(I mean this in a good way) had any experience with Borla exhaust systems? Are they any better than Gibson, Flowmaster, or others? Or, are they just really expensive wastes of money? Your input will be appreciated. Enjoy.
  • Options
    planejaneplanejane Member Posts: 167
    doing in a place like this?
    Tundra topics enjoyable? NOT!!

(OK, I had to put my 2 cents in)
    :-P
  • Options
    I used to check in here regularly to find out how your truck ordering ordeal was proceeding. I was glad to hear you were finally able to get your truck! Now, I'm searching for info on Borla exhaust systems. The darn cat-back system( a dual, stainless steel system) costs a whopping $699. Seems totally outrageous to me! I figured one of you Bowtie people would have some input on this. I'm not here to bash Chevy. Just looking for info from anyone.

P.S. Thanks for the pennies. I need them for gas for my hunting trip this afternoon! Please hold the Tundra gas mileage remarks!
  • Options
    Sometimes I can't help myself. I've always thought, hey - buy whatever the heck anybody wants to, I don't have to drive it. People in general, like to separate themselves into groups. One day its the darn Yankees vs. the south, the next day its [non-permissible content removed] vs. american, yuppies vs. non-yuppies, you get the point. I think alot of us here are looking for a laugh or something interesting to talk about. Tim is a favorite to alot of us simply because he has a lot of personality! (I am thinking of going incognito again - ????? maybe)

By the way, I saw my first Tundra today (I know - where have I been...) it was bigger than what I'm use to seeing in a Toy, that's fur sure. Silverados still rule though.

Good luck on your search for a suitable exhaust system! :)
  • Options
    I would compare the performance to a Gibson and the sound to a 40 series flowmaster (2 chamber). It's not too loud for me. I have had tons of compliments. It is not for the faint at heart though. You definately know its a V8 coming your way. I think the stock Silverado exhaust is really lame sounding. This is one thing Ford has on the Silverado. Ford makes their exhaust notes sound like a V8 powered truck should sound. The one and only good thing I can say about the new model Ford's.

The magnaflow has a very deep rumble at idle, not much louder than stock at crusing speeds and a very "serious" note when under heavy throttle.

Its very intimidating. I have literally had new model Fords keep their distance, blatently, because the exhaust gives the impression of more than stock HP under the hood. If I am doing 5 miles an hour under the posted limit in the fast lane (for just this reason), I can see Ford trucks hauling butt up until they get within 2 truck lengths behind me, then they will very gradually pass me, then floor it again when they are well in front of me. It's so hilarious! I guess my Summit Racing stickers and such don't help either!
  • Options
    mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    FYI for all you 5.3 owners: I have a slow oil leak that will leave a couple spots on the driveway. Dealer says it is a seal at the front of the oil pan and ordered the part. Just wanted to let you know in case you are experiencing similar problems.

I also have a rattling noise from the rear end (my truck's, that is) when going over bumps. Dealer has been saying it is leaf spring bolts. Twice they have lubed and retorqued them - now they are ordering new leaf springs.

They also replaced my rear side windows for wind noise. No noise yet, but I haven't had the nerve to open them!

Also have a discoloration on the driver's side exterior door handle - dealer is replacing this as well.

Can't say I'm suprised about this stuff - 1st model year, after all. Other than the stuff above, I love this truck!

Thanks,
    Mark
    99 Silverado Z71 LT extended cab
  • Options
    Silverados are just so damn appealing that you can't stay out...can you? Of course when you want to talk about power...you leave the Toiletta section and come to the Silverado section...hell..even Roc comes here!

Now quit saying the T word...you are stinking up the place here! I doubt the insults will quit...so I guess all I can say is...baby want a bottle?

Cindy,

Incognito??...what you talking about? You want to post in other topics but not be known?

I saw my first Tundra too! I had to remove it with the other stones stuck in my tread!

- Tim
  • Options
    gl3gl3 Member Posts: 31
    Know the feeling, I first had the "anticlunk"
    seal/spacer put in, then rear springs now they say
    I need new u joints. Also have new rear 1/4 window
    on order, used clear silicone sealer to stop wind
    shield molding noises. I agree on new model year
    you have to accept some defects but I have found
    that most are usually cosmetic, as a die hard chevy fan, I am really concerned about this many
    problems with drive-train/suspension. If the u joints do not work, I'm looking to dump it and
    move on. How many miles do you have on yours and
    when did the leak start? Thanks
  • Options
    shamptonshampton Member Posts: 53
    It feels like Christmas Eve!!! Ordered my 2000 1/2 LS 4x4 Ext. Cab / SB on 8/16 - and it arrived at the dealership today. I will be picking it up tomorrow afternoon - just in time for a 900 mile trip to South Bend to see the Irish next week!

Can't wait - I'll post some pictures on the Truck Force site next week.

Take care all!
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I just changed my oil again, 14,300 miles. While under there, I checked the u-joints and they are fine. No metal shavings on the drain plug magnet either. Mobil 1, 5W/30 on every change. Oil level never moved from the full mark since last change, 3,000 miles ago. No leaks either. Did notice a drop hanging from the front differential pinion seal. I think it's because it doesn't get much use. Just yesterday, I switched into 4-Hi to oil that seal. I'm watching it.
  • Options
    Nice to see you haven't changed. Shouldn't you be out scouting or something?
  • Options
    loverbuddloverbudd Member Posts: 13
    hey what muffler shop did you go to in santa rosa, thats where i live and i got a 2000 coming in november. its a black 3/4 ton reg cab long bed , 4x4, fully loaded, 4.10. im interested in hearing the different mufflers before i buy. what kind of truck do you have?

kevin
  • Options
    hknoepflehknoepfle Member Posts: 45
    All you new Silverdo owners - How does ROCK AND ROLL sound on the 6 speaker performance sound system? Should I get a radio credit and have my own radio put in?
  • Options
    wang2wang2 Member Posts: 29
    I did order the relay kit for the 99 door locks. Had to remove the instrument panel trim and the drivers side lower dash panel. Three wires, one ground strap, and 45 minutes later, ta-da! my doors now unlock when the gearshift is moved to park! Still locks at 15 mph or so, but now I don't have to door lock tag with my passenger.

I ordered the relay from the website that someone posted a while ago for truckautoaccessories.com. Took about a week to get the part in the mail. It was $29.95 plus tax, tag, title... for a total of $34.90.

I've had Mustangs, Corvettes (2), and a Jimmy. This truck has put the biggest smile on my face yet!

Bryan
  • Options
    wang2wang2 Member Posts: 29
    The radio system sounds pretty good. I have the radio with the cassette and CD player. My FM reception seems a little weak, but the CD is great.

Might just be a little picky about the reception. Don't have many good stations to choose from in Atlanta, anyway.

Bryan
  • Options
    Radio in my LT sounds great with heavy Rock and roll. An after market subwoofer may add some performance on the low end though...R-wag installed one...he said it sounds good. But even the factory set up jams...

TP4?

Scouting??...why??...I can have more fun here!

- Tim
  • Options
    kantonkanton Member Posts: 142
    When I had my old GMC done I went to Valley Muffler and Exhaust. For my new truck I went to Johnny Franklin's on Santa Rosa Ave. They were great, I told them exactly how I wanted it, location of the tailpipes, tips, etc... They let you choose what tips you want at no extra charge. They also let yoy hear each muffler before buying. If after all is said and done, if you are not happy they will redo it with another muffler. On top of all this, instead of charging my $40 more for the delta-flow muffler, he just gave it to me. Finished product, tips, muffler, tubing, redoing the muffler because I changed my mind, and a custom little black paint job on the tubing to match the underneath of the truck, ran about $320. I have a 2000 1/2 5.3 x-cab sb z-71 LT 3.73. That 3/4 you are getting will make the muffler even louder than the 5.3 I have.

Kyle
  • Options
    chevy4mechevy4me Member Posts: 203
    I'm getting new leaf springs put on soon .Did this help at all?
  • Options
    rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    The LS/LT radio is good. Very good reception on mine, in fact (Delco has always been pretty good with reception). I can get Santa Barbara, San Diego and Ventura stations that many others in my area of LA County can not. I would (and did) definitely add a sub woofer ... it's AMAZING how much better it sounds. I might also some day replace the rear 4x6 speakers, as they are not as good as they should be. Overall, though (and especially with the sub) it's a great package.

And I wasn't expecting it to be that great.

Unless you want or need features like a CD changer (which CAN be added to the Delco ... unfortunately many 2000s I've seen lately have the CD player in the radio and an external tape .. the changer would then replace the tape) or pre-amp outputs, you probably won't do much better aftermarket. Plus, I don't know exactly how the aftermarket radios handle the new power-on system that allows the radio to stay on while after you shut off the engine and until the door is open. There is no high-current accessory power available on the radio harness. You'd have to run a wire from the fuse box for a traditional radio power system.

Richard
  • Options
    Tim, my comment on opinions was a joke. Don't take offense.
  • Options
    I found the stock sound to be just decent, not bad for a factory system. The head unit is fine but the speakers are a little weak. You should take the factory system and improve on it if you want better sound.
  • Options
    jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    I have a 99 Silverado with the AM/FM CD and Tape deck. Plug in a Stevie Ray Vaughn CD and it sounds great. I am sure there are better sounding speakers and amps out there but for a stock item I would say that it is very decent.
  • Options
    Can anyone elaborate on the speed restriction ( < 55 MPH) for the first 500 miles? What is the reason for this? Is this absolutely necessary? I am taking a 900 mile trip within the first few days of ownership, with the majority of this time being highway time.

Do I have anything to worry about here?

Also, what about changing the oil early on? When are your supposed to change for the 1st time (saw some posts a while back about 500-750 miles)?

How many owners are going to Mobil-1 synthetic starting with the 1st change?

Thanks!!!

Bill
  • Options
    Huh?

Offense?

I've forgotten whatever you mean..I guess?

None taken

- Tim
  • Options
    cfunkcfunk Member Posts: 13
    What length was the Magnaflow that you had installed? They make serveral lenghths, with the longer ones being quieter.

-Funk
  • Options
    teaboy022teaboy022 Member Posts: 59
    Hey All,

I should be getting my 2000 Silverado Reg Cab, Sportside, 4.8 in very soon. Ordered back in late July! I am planning on going with the dual exhaust... i dont care much about sound but would like the best performance possible. What set-up would be the best for me? I heard Magna-flows are best all around.
  • Options
    gl3gl3 Member Posts: 31
    The new springs did help for awhile, the
    "clank" noise going over bumps stopped but the
    "Clunk" noise when I shift/accelerate seemed to
    get worse. My dealer said he has replaced 4 sets
    on 2wd and 4wd and only 50% worked.

After picking up my truck the other day, I
    swore I heard the "clank" again but might of been
    my frustration. I can't belive they did not have
    any u-joints in stock. I have a friend who bought
    a gmc about the same time as I bought my chevy. He
    has complained about minor stuff (Windshield mold-
    ing noise and some interior rattles) but no susp-
    enison problems. I'm beginning to think that I got
    a bad one and to top it off a lousy service dept.
    Good Luck with your springs.
  • Options
    Tim,
    What I meant was.. I was gonna quit posting and read for a while.

Shampton!!!!
    Congrats! You can take that nice Indigo Blue Silverado picture out of your wallet. I am happy for you, it does seem like Christmas doesn't it? I don't want to drive everyone crazy, but I absolutely love my truck so much I can't wait to get into it in the morning.

Have fun with it! It is THE best pickup truck.
  • Options
    Just got back from the daler with my new 2000' 1/2 Ton - 37 wonderful miles!!!

I must say up to this point my experience has been very pleasant - Ordered the truck 8/16 (GMO Option 1), got all the bells and whistles - Picked it up today - 6 weeks later!

Thanks to all that have shared their advice and experiences with the Truck of the Year. I will check back and update ya'll on my experiences!

Take care,

Bill
  • Options
    rlangford2rlangford2 Member Posts: 17
    How many watts RMS is the stereo putting out to each speaker?

Thanks,

Ryan
  • Options
    Cindy,

Just read...and NOT post? What fun is that? Gotta unleash all this on someone!

The stock radio is a nice unit..the one in an LT at least...And should be left alone. Why advertise that you have a better sound system? It tunes great and has very good power. If anything..get a Powered Sub and maybe replace the speakers. I think if you had a sub...the bass pressure would go away on the stock speakers...and they would sound even better.

Besides,
    I doubt you will find an aftermarket with the Radio stay on feature until the door is opened. Aftermarkets don't have Speed Compensated Volume either. There is also the theft Lock built in too.

But hey....we are all different. So do what is best for you.

Good Luck

- Tim
  • Options
    My Magnflow is a 14" long by 11" wide case. The length inlet to dual outlets is about 20". I also bought the 16 guage aluminized. It is much cheaper and my local shop honors a lifetime non transferable warranty. Any rust, any faults, even normal wear out, it is replaced free of charge.

After about 3 months of research of the many many mufflers and setups, I am extremely happy with my choice.
  • Options
    mckainmckain Member Posts: 20
    Took the 99 z71 autotrac into the shop complaining about a creaking when first accelerating (stops before the wheels have gone around once). They said it was the front yoke slipping in and out of the transfer case and that the new Blue fluid would fix this. Any similar experiences? They put it in next week when I take it back...

-Jim
  • Options
    rhinncrhinnc Member Posts: 66
    I now have 1700 miles on my truck I have had since 24 July. Since getting the rear main oil seal replaced (5.3L) tires balanced (still vibrating at 60-70 MPH), new cab to frame mounts . Several other minor annoyances have cropped up. Many, I believe can be resolved by flashing the computer and new tires. (Dealer is replacing with Michelins) here is the short list:
    -Driver side seat squeaks bad.
    -In AutoTrack surging when turning (hopefully blue stuff will cure this)
    -Very harsh 1st to 2nd shifts
    -Loud driveline growl above 40MPH (aint messing with since I am averaging 18.4MPG)
    -When A/C compressor engages it thumps and surges if idling in gear
    -Gas smell coming from under hood when parked (no obvious leaks)
    -Engine idles when in gear about 400RPM according to tach.

Other than the above I love this truck. I think I just got a bad one. Taking it back to the dealer on Tuesday. Since they have had it for 14 days so far, I only have 6 days left to get the required 20 days in shop for the first 24 months of ownership then the N.C. Lemon law kicks in and I have a few options.

If I can get the stuff fixed I aim to keep it, otherwise I'll try another..
  • Options
    26andrew126andrew1 Member Posts: 93
    not to disagree with your shop but the updated transfer case fluid has nothing to do with the yoke slipping in and out. The new fluid is for if you truck pops and jumps on turns(feels like the old 4x4 engaged when tring to turn sharp) or when taking off. I don't even know of a yoke noise on the new trucks. Trust mebeing low man on the totem pole in the shop I work in I see alot of the noise complaints.

Do you own the new silverado, or a C/K model..

Oh ya much thanks to however found the squeak noise in there truck that was the body mounts you just saved me half a day of tring to pin point a noise. Again THANK YOU MUCH..
  • Options
    I have the ls with the delco cassette and aux cd and am hapy with the head unit but am looking to go with a sub under the rear seat bazooka or similar. I was wondering if it requires a line level converter or can be wired direct? I'm going to eliminate the 4 by 6 rears altogether. How did you do it?. These delcos do pull some distance I'm in o.c. and can't get Santa Barbara but I sure can get San Diego 101.5 KGB www.101kgb.com
    Also did you upgrade the 6 1/2 s in the front?
  • Options
    Saw a copper over gold z71 looked great! rare
This discussion has been closed.