Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Run Flat Insurance

MLB999MLB999 Member Posts: 12
edited November 2014 in BMW
Looking to see if anyone has any thoughts on the run flat insurance currently offered by BMW.

With past BMW's, I purchased their run flat insurance through Fidelity - had several tires damaged via potholes - and never had an issue with their service in covering a replacement.

We are getting a new 2-series convertible, and it appears that the insurance is now offered through Safeguard. There seem to be quite a few complaints on Safeguard through the better business bureau.

Any thoughts on this? Also, any idea what a fair price for this insurance would be? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'm rather against buying into the whole run-flat scene. First they give you a tire that supposedly will "save" you the anxiety of a flat, only to have you face a $350 replacement cost when you DO drive on it while flat. How much easier to just carry a small spare tire kit? THEN they want to charge you a hefty sum to insurance the run flat from damage. It strikes me as almost a double-dip into your wallet.

If I were you, I wouldn't take the insurance---I'd run the run flats until they wear out (soon enough I'm afraid) and then get go-flat tires and a spare tire kit, or a tire sealant and air pump.

• Options
    MLB999MLB999 Member Posts: 12
    Mr_Shiftright - thanks! That's pretty much what I was thinking. My car will be leased. Do you know if there will be an issue returning the car without run flats on it?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,316
    MLB999 said:

Mr_Shiftright - thanks! That's pretty much what I was thinking. My car will be leased. Do you know if there will be an issue returning the car without run flats on it?

There will definitely be charges for not having run-flats... Take the run-flats off now, and put the other tires on... swap the runflats back on, before turning it in.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    karhill1karhill1 Member Posts: 165
    Taking off the run flats could be problematic. Since there is no spare tire, having a flat tire could be quite expensive and quite an annoyance. Of course, you could buy a spare rim and tire and carry it in the trunk. However, that would be expensive and a further annoyance.