Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TSX

Comments

• Options
    johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    You're right about the MT V. AT. The TSX is a different, and better, car with the MT. Lame excuses like commuting notwithstanding, you're either an enthusiast or your not.

As far as finding a MT-equiped TSX in the color you want, you may have to bite the bullet and order one. It's a long wait, but ultimately it'll be worth it and you'll get the car you want. The fact that 1 in 10 TSX's made comes with the MT is the problem. Not much you can do about it.

I can say the TSX is worth the wait. Something to consider. Good luck. :shades:
  • Options
    tawneycattawneycat Member Posts: 114
    I drove one at bob Howard Acura OKC, OK, two weeks ago. they had a white NAVI just sold that day. both 6MT.

RED is awesome. Acura should shoot dealers for not ordering them and if Acura is limited 6MT production then so be it.

Good Luck
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I've had my first (and last) black car for 10 months. Looks great freshly washed but after 2-3 days, even with no precip, the dust starts to build up (I use a California duster if it's just sitting on the surface) and it doesn't look quite so good. The first rain leaves it covered with water spots. At least you don't have to put up with snow like we do in the midwest. And even the "soft touch" car washes leave marks that are visible when the sun hits it right.

Black interior will be hot, hot, hot after sitting out on a sunny day. My black car with light interior is much cooler to get into than my son's white car with black interior. A friend at work has a silver BMW with black interior and it's also very hot. I don't think you could get into a black leather interior in the summer with shorts on, it would be too hot to the touch.
  • Options
    The Milano Red does look very sharp on the TSX. It's also relatively uncommon.

I think the only reason Acura would limit production of the MT is because that is what the USDM is demanding. The overwhelming majority of cars sold in this country come with slushboxes. :cry:
  • Options
    ckigginsckiggins Member Posts: 68
    Does anyone have a photo (or know where I can find one) of the center stack of the TSX w/o Nav? The only pics I can find online all show the nav screen.
  • Options
    tlacetlace Member Posts: 1
    I was a professional Detailer for BMW dealership and black cars will normally get dirty after a few days but not after only 2-3.

It all starts with the car wash so I would recommend Meguiars Gold Class Conditioner and Shampoo or if you really want to spend the extra coin the Hyper wash works even better. It's all on Meguiars.com. Under consumer for the gold class or professional(detailer)for the Hyper wash. It is a bit more expensive but it will all return to you in the resale.

It usually lasts me a week butI average 400 miles a week. I also clay, polish and wax every 2 months so that also affects it.

I also recommend MEGUIARS EVERYTHING.
  • Options
    waw40waw40 Member Posts: 39
    Well, 70% of my driving is also commute in traffic, but I would never think of moving to an AT. I guess the difference is between those who take pleasure in driving, like to be more in control, and enjoy better acceleration and handling and those who think of their car as just a means of getting to places with least involvement.
    The only exception for an AT I would make would be if I lived in San Francisco or another city with steep hills. But I would still want to have a stick for getting out of town.
  • Options
    drewbadrewba Member Posts: 154
    Why is having a different priority a "lame excuse"? I never claimed to be a driving enthusiast. I picked the TSX as entry level luxury car that has some ability on the rare occasion that I actually find an open on ramp or drive it outside of the city. With 90+% of my mileage in city or in slow commuting, an AT was the right choice for me.

It's clearly not your choice or that of the original poster, but I fail to see how it makes me lame or of unsound mind.
  • Options
    I can't argue with the acceleration, the AT definitely saps some power. I may very well be overlooking something, but I don't understand how a 6MT handles better.

BTW, I actually live just outside Seattle which is almost as hilly as San Francisco. This didn't play into my purchase decision at all though.
  • Options
    The best way to see and appreciate the difference is to drive both types and compare. Second best - read reviews and forum discussions.
  • Options
    Wow, that Nav screen looks a whole lot better in there than that radio! :) Now it's just deciding if it's worth the $2k.

Searching inventory at my 2 local dealers brings up only 1 or 2 nav-equipped TSXs out of 35.
  • Options
    notjafonotjafo Member Posts: 63
    this was bugging me too- so much I had someone send me a pic of their car. The tsx may look nicer w/ the nav given that the screeen controls so many thing, but the overall impression of the non-nav is just as nice, you just don'thave the screen. The distance from the bottom of the vents to the bottom of the unit is (I think) the same, so the area under the unit (nav or non-nav) where there is storage, is the same.
  • Options
    where are you located? in the boston areas it seems hardest to find a non-navi 6spd.
  • Options
    I am in St. Louis. All I can find are 5AT non-navs.

Does anyone have a preference of nav or non-nav?

I have been looking at the TL, as well, and most of the people on the TL boards here on Edmunds say that they got Nav and it was a no-brainer.
  • Options
    Your excuse is lame, not you. Everybody and their brother uses the commuting alibi as the reason they don't drive MT cars. Personally, I think it goes beyond that for most folks. Hard to talk on the phone, eat, drink, read or apply makeup if you have to actually shift gears.

My main point is that, since the TSX is squarely aimed at the enthusiast market segment, it stands to reason that its MT iteration is the obvious choice. Whether or not you are an enthusiast, you bought a car built as a drivers car. If we accept that that is true, then the only choice I can arrive at is to choose the MT.

That and the fact that the car is clearly much better with the MT. However, as you pointed out, your priorities are different than mine, and the car is offered with the AT.

I also live in the greater Seattle area. If I lived in SF, I'd own a stick. If I lived in the Himalayas, I'd own a stick. Like you said, it's my choice. To each his own.

BTW, I wasn't attempting to attack you on a personal level. If it came off that way, I apologize.

Enjoy your TSX. It's a mucho fun car to drive. :shades:
  • Options
    I guess the difference is between those who take pleasure in driving, like to be more in control, and enjoy better acceleration and handling and those who think of their car as just a means of getting to places with least involvement.

This one statement is at the core of any decision I make about purchasing a car. It's all about the driving. For most people, a car is an appliance not much different than their blender or coffee maker.

Well said, waw40.
  • Options
    The most distracting thing I do in the car is listen to the radio, so I can assure you, my AT choice was pretty much all about the commuting.

I still don't consider it a lame excuse, but we can disagree on that. I think we've beat this horse!
  • Options
    "I was a professional Detailer for BMW dealership and black cars will normally get dirty after a few days but not after only 2-3."

Well, I didn't mean dirty dirty. Just meant that after a few days of sitting in the company parking lot, enough dust has collected that it's not shiny bright like it is right after that wash and dry. I do use Mequiars Gold Class wax. I'll try the car wash solution once the weather warms so I can wash outside again (2-3 more months).
  • Options
    rooskierooskie Member Posts: 26
    Picked up an '06 TSX MT in Milano Red with Parchment leather last month. Awesome car and every time I have been to the gas station (average 29.7 mpg), somebody says something like "Wow - that red looks great on that car". No TL or Accord for me - drove 'em all, and this is the most fun. Period. My 60 year-old dad drives a '05 Accord EX V6. My 45-year old boss drive a TL. There you go. I'll drive one of those when I'm turning grey...just kidding. To each his own..
  • Options
    I envy you! I've been looking for MT Milano Red and couldn't find it within 800 miles. The only difference is that I would brefer black(ebony) interior - have you seen any there? BTW, where did you get your TSX?
  • Options
    greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Try the NXT wax. Better than Gold Class. I have a black car.
  • Options
    adamsearadamsear Member Posts: 8
    Many thanks to those who’ve responded so far. From replies and also a search of older posts, here’s what I’ve been able to sense. It still leaves me with some questions, though.

Exterior Colors:

Some people say black shows too much dirt, nicks, etc. My question is, is that true of other dark colors for the TSX (dark blue, carbon grey, etc.)?

Also, if not black (though I know this is a matter of personal preference) what other color(s) do you particularly recommend in terms of looks/not showing too much dirt/damage?

Interior colors:

Black--some say it would be hotter, some, including kyfdx, say no difference. This issue of heat is key for me since I live in Southern California, but like the way the black interior looks. Some folks say a black interior also shows more dust.

Parchment--shows more dirt, several don’t like plastic wood trim

Quartz--haven’t heard much about this one; what do people think?

And two miscellaneous questions:

How useful is it to get the splash guards?

Does anybody know the details of Acura roadside assistance that comes with the car?
  • Options
    My brother has caron grey / quartz. He lives in TX and wanted the grey due to the sun. There is defiintely a different interior feel depending on the color you choose. Black leather may be an issue if you don't have a garage, but the A/C is probably powerful enough. I think any leather interior, rgardless of color, will be hot to sit on of left in the sun - black may just be more.

I'm also curious about the other colors - the carbo grey seems to look good even w/ dirt - I would like to get reactions from the detailer on the royal blue pearl.

I'll probably get splash guards - they look pretty good and save you some dings behind the wheels. In CA you don't need to worry about snow bulid up on them. Dealers seem to be installing these for short money if you want them - HandA accessories and some other sell them for about $65 - but then you have to install, tho it looks pretty trivial.
  • Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Artic Blue with black leather is best TSX color combo to my eye. Then I would say Milano red with black leather.
  • Options
    I wish the Milano red came with quartz. I don't want the ebony...and parchment? Blech.
  • Options
    Any dark color will show the dirt & water spots more than light colors. A black leather seat exposed to the sun for a while will be hot to the touch. The interior of a black car may not be any hotter (although it sure seems to be) but a dark seat will definitely be hotter than a light seat if the sun has been on it.

My wife's car with a light interior is two years old and the only thing that shows dirt are the floor mats (due to winters, not an issue for you.)
  • Options
    I absolutely agree, just in reverse order. The problem is they are impossible to find, especially with the preferable MT. I had to special order the red/black combo.
    How boring and grayish our roads and parking lots have become...
    Are we close to the point when the Italians will have to paint their Ferraris gray in order to sell them in the US market?
  • Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    It is special order and too bad. The TSX cries out for MT and a bold blue or red color!
  • Options
    One of the local Seattle area Acura dealers has a 2006 Milano Red with ebony interior MT listed on their website inventory. Where are you located?
  • Options
    I thought I checked them all. Could you give me the site?
    I am in the San Jose area and would be willing to go north to get it.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Please, no links (or any other contact info) to dealerships. You can name a dealer and give a general location, if you like. Thanks.
  • Options
    Trying again...

Acura of Bellevue, which is located about 10 miles east of downtown Seattle.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Thanks. ;)
  • Options
    Thanks a lot drewba!. I missed that one. I talked to that dealer and it turned out that the car had all kinds of things that I didn't want installed and the price they could accept was over a thousand more than what I got from the dealer closer to home. I decided to wait a couple of months for the special order to arrive. Thanks for the info anyway and happy motoring!
  • Options
    You're welcome, but I'm sorry that it didn't work out. Your car will definitely be worth the wait. :-)
  • Options
    minizx3minizx3 Member Posts: 32
    Hi all..First time posting in the TSX forum...I have an 04 TSX in Milano Red..love the car..I was completely crushed when I came off the bus and saw that my driver side bumper was all scraped and kinda sticking out :cry: ..The person left their phone number and my husband is going to contact them..my question is how much do you think it will cost to fix and should I go through their insurance or mine? I'm so upset and since this never happened to me before..not sure what to do..Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
  • Options
    Deinitely go through their insurance. Why wouldn't you? They did the right thing and left their contact info. Using your insurance would only hurt your rates, but use your insurance company to handle the case. Just contact them and inform them of the situation, and they'll take it from there.

Sorry to hear about your situation, but a good body shop will make your baby as good as new. Good luck. :D
  • Options
    iwantvteciwantvtec Member Posts: 5
    anyone else thinks that it's time A-spec got more serious and added some power in addition to suspension. we all know the next tsx will be better- i think it's time acura got it's game face on and changed a-spec into a bmw M/benz AMG tuner, that works in the u.s. and seems that these days people are willing to buy "sportier" cars. either way i'm a big fan, i just hate that lexus is considered better than acura.
  • Options
    inkyofokinkyofok Member Posts: 62
    Number one, bluetooth is great add, the XM is nice, Drivers information center with mpg cool, mem seat nice. Exterior mod minor but wheels--not so great. The 13 hp difference (5 on paper) 13 for real--new standard feels same until 6000 rpm then you get a more pronounced kick to redline.
    Car is also quieter but may be effect of softer new rubber and newness. Leather and seats were definitely softer-no question. Overall a nice progression.
  • Options
    Doing what you suggest would definitely drive the price of the car much higher than it is now. The Lexus may be "better" but it's also as much as $14K more in IS350 form.

I think the next TSX will be a much higher performer and still retain some modicum of value.

IMO, "better" is a subjective term. The TSX is pretty damn good now.
  • Options
    If you mean the tires are quieter because they're new, as opposed to slightly worn, then I get you. But they are the same Michelin MXM4's as previous TSX's.

And I don't think the leather is any different for 06 than it was for 04-05.
  • Options
    chuchutrain621chuchutrain621 Member Posts: 6
    on the tsx for the alarm system, is the 30 second re-lock a standard feature? and what are the scenarios where this works
  • Options
    pocono35pocono35 Member Posts: 89
    on the tsx for the alarm system, is the 30 second re-lock a standard feature? and what are the scenarios where this works

The relock works if you have used the fob to unlock, lets say on your way to your vehicle, but you do not open the vehicle within the 30 secs. The vehicle automatically relocks and rearms. This feature is on my wife's Pilot.
  • Options
    inkyofokinkyofok Member Posts: 62
    Yes, new rubber even in same model is always smoother--the leather on my 04 must have really aged as it was hard and plastic like whereas the 06 is softer. Definitely will use quality leather care products.

Oh yes I have the noisey 06 windshield. rrrr.
  • Options
    rbk1rbk1 Member Posts: 5
    Trying to find 6 speed manual on Long Island (NYC vicinity) is pretty hard especially if color, interior etc is important. Driving an A4 1.8T quattro with 5-speed now. Was wondering if I settle for an automatic (that way I can get it locally (where they refuse to carry 6-speeds) and can benefit from free loaner cars etc does the faux shift mode do anything or does the auto take over and shift to 2 nd before you get a chance to do it yourself? :confuse:
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    if you're driving stick now, see if a local dealer will order you one. You might enjoy the car for a month (new car smell, tight handling...) but I don't think (IMO) the car will be as much fun as an auto.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    If you have your heart set on the MT, be patient and wait for one. The TSX is a much better car with the stick. If you make it clear to the stealer that you want one bad enough, they'll come up with one.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
  • Options
    rico23rico23 Member Posts: 29
    could anybody tell me when the new '06's came out... was it september of last year or before that???
  • Options
    We started seeing them in late November, early December of '05.
This discussion has been closed.