Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• I believe from like 1975 through the late 80's.
  • The V6 was sold in the US from 1980-87 I think...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    Not quite Andy...the Railton was a hybrid mix of Hudson engine and chassis mated to a traditional British sports car body, usually a 3-position drophead (convertible) 4-seater.

They were, by 1937 standards, pretty quick cars--you can imagine a wooden framed British open car powered by a huge stragiht-8 flathead of some 125HP. A few Railtons were tuned up to 160HP, and were officially clocked at 0-60 in 8.8 seconds, as fast as some modern cars today. Of course, they were trucks to drive and they were not terribly popular nor terribly attractive in their day...not bad, but not great.

HOwever, obscure to be sure and hard to sell here in the US. You'd be lucky to get $20K for one, which isn't much for a classic 30s British open car if you think about it.
  • I saw a little (I am talking tiny!) green pickup truck, circa 60's or early 70's, with Austin written in letters on the hood. I mean bonnet.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,711
    According to what I've read, the Alfa Romeo GTV-6 was sold here from 1981-85. Due to ridiculously low sales, Alfa stopped importing the cars in late '85 and sold a couple of leftovers as '86 models, once again leaving the aged Spider as its only volume U.S. model. The GTV-6 was based on the awfully unreliable Alfetta hatchbacks of the mid-'70s. Personally, I've never seen any of those; maybe they have all rusted away or got sent to the crusher.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 20,456
    I'm sure your tiny Brit pickup was one of the many variants of the original Austin Mini 850,
    If it was open, like a golf cart, it was a Mini-Moke, a cool little contraption of marginal utility.

And Jrosmac, the Alfetta was a fairly good-looking car for the 70s, altho it bore no resemblance to the earlier Bertone GTVs/GTAs. I'm sure it wasn't any worse than any Euro car of the 70s as far as reliability was concerned (Shifty may think otherwise.) Don't confuse the Alfetta (rwd, DiDion transaxle) with the awful
    fwd Alfa Sud (so named caused it was made in Naples, not Milan.)

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• On my way to work I spotted a DeLorean sitting in a gas station parking lot. I didn't see too many of those in the 80's, let alone recently. I would've gotten a pretty good look at it because I was at a rather long red light, but an SUV a couple lanes over came and blocked my view 5 seconds after I spotted it.
  • I saw my second 350Z today, this time it was grey and for sale at a user car lot. (?)

I also saw my first 2003 Honda Accord. Talk about an ugly car...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    I don't really know very much about Alfettas.
  • lemkolemko Philadelphia, PAPosts: 15,306
    ...a woman driving a red Alfa Romeo 164 at the bank yesterday. The car was in excellent condition. I really liked the alloy wheels on it.
  • I saw two Espirits following each other a few days back. That was sort of a surprise. For a moment, I felt like I was in the 80s. Then I realized that it's 2002; it's just that the Espirit hasn't changed since the 1980s.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,711
    I saw a guy early this morning driving a ratty green '65 Corvair Corsa convertible. The thing was, it was raining very heavily in my neck of the woods. I don't think it's advisable to drive any Corvair in heavy rain. And wasn't the Corsa the top-line model back in '65, also, with a different engine than the rest of the Corvairs?
  • I decided that there are so many obscure pictures of cars in my neighborhood, that I am going to take a picture of them all.

More news later ;)
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    ...that when my bro returns from his tour and thus have his digital camera, I will be able to find that four-door El Camino and take a picture of it. If so, I'll post it here.
  • Bright yellow Hummer H2. Ugly as sin.
  • jrosas-

My dad had a 1965 Corvair Corsa back when it was new. His wasn't a convertible, though. I believe '65 was the year they redesigned the suspension, so they weren't as hard to handle as the older ones.

-Andrew L
  • magnetophone-

Great pics! Unfortunately I got about 2/3 of the way through them, and I exceeded your daily data transfer :-P

I love that AMC Pacer, and the '70s Buick wagon. Also, notice that the Focus in the first pic is already missing a wheel center cap. Those things fall off if you look at them funny!

One of these days I'm going to take some pics of the weird cars in my college town...

-Andrew L
  • alfoxalfox Posts: 716
    owns a tired looking white Alpha 164. The angled trim line down the side of that design always looked to me like the car was broken in the middle, like it had been dropped or something. Being a well worn example, this one looks even worse.
  • That's my Focus, andrew! The people at the tire center lost it. :(

I am uploading a bunch more pictures. My Mac.com homepage was temporarily down. I hope to have a few hundred photos eventually.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    I thought someone was talking about Nashes, but maybe it was in the classics discussions. Anyway, drove by a '56 Nash in my old neighborhood this afternoon.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • alfoxalfox Posts: 716
    a real "driver's car"?
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 23,523
    We were at a Checker's in Glen Burnie, MD, when the thing rolled in. The petitest little woman you could imagine climbed down out of it.

Funny thing is, all us locals lovingly call Glen Burnie the "Armpit of Anne Arundel County" (and now that I've made that slam, watch me end up living there someday!) So unless she's an out of towner, I'm guessing her car payment is running neck and neck with her mortgage! :-P

It was amusing watching her try to leave the parking lot too. Naturally she had to swing it extra-wide, wanting "her half out the middle", as Granddad used to say, and almost snubbing an old Cutlass Ciera wagon in the process!

Oh yeah, I also saw an early-50's Hudson 2-door hardtop. Real light green, looked like it had been well taken care of.
  • I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) today!

http://homepage.mac.com/rococoyourboat

/PhotoAlbum14.html

/PhotoAlbum12.html

• What is a Checker's?
  • We had 2 of them here, but both are now closed. They are a drivethrough only place that (here) had two drivethroughs and a walk-up window.
  • Oh yeah, we used to have one.

A lot of chains can't survive in Austin because we have the luck of being the headquarters for both Schlotzsky's and Whole Foods. We have probably 25 Schloztsky's in town at least, where some cities are lucky to have 2. We also have a near monopoly in the grocery store industry, too. I think 75% of the market is HEB.
  • But to tie this all into cars, our car dealers are also controlled by 4 or 5 larger companies.
  • Yep, there are two main dealers in my city.

Notable ones (there are others):

One has: Chevy, Buick, Cadillac, VW, Audi, Subaru, Saab, Hummer, Honda, Acura, BMW, Saturn, Isuzu, Mini, Oldsmobile, and Suzuki

One more: GMC, Audi, BMW, Pontiac, Nissan, Chrysler, Volvo, Mitsubishi, Kia, Porsche, Ford, Acura, Honda, Dodge, Mini (almost every location is self-contained, all along one strech of road)

Many others too, but they are statewide, and probably have a dealer or two for almost every model.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 23,523
    I remember them fondly, as they wouldn't let me buy liquour with an out-of-state license!

BTW Matt, nice pics. That Pontiac wagon up on jacks is a '64 Catalina. The Buick wagon is a '70. I think that year Buick just called the full size wagons "Estate", instead of "Electra Estate" or "LeSabre Estate". Having 4 portholes, you'd think it'd be an Electra, but the rest of the trim (or lack therof) makes it look more like a basic model.