Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    That Ponton really needs to be pristine for that kind of money - and it is not. I am not sure the interior is original Tex, but that's no matter - 19K for a 4cyl Ponton is pretty wacky, especially in the US. He's maybe 100% overpriced, that's all. For anything close to his price, I would want correct tires and a cleaned up interior at the very least.
  • Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,114
    Generally speaking, I'm not a '50's car buff, but a Studebaker buddy of mine who grew up with Cadillacs in his family and has a '70 Coupe deVille now, sent me this eBay ad and I must admit, it's a nice car in what to me is an interesting, out-of-the-ordinary color.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221175345216&ssPag- eName=ADME:B:EF:MOTORS:1123
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    The problem is if you get rid of it, it's gone forever. It's not like you can just go pick another up easily. As long as you have the means I say keep it and just enjoy it when you can.

I thought I would see more classics while in Seattle, the Pacific NW is usually great for those but nothing really noteworthy except a late 80's Vovlo 740, which really isn't that noteworthy. :)
  • Options
    That is a good point - once it's gone, it's gone. Unless you can talk the buyer into selling it back, you might have to work hard to find another.

Weather lately is miserable, that keeps some of the older stuff inside.
  • Options
    wevkwevk Member Posts: 179
  • Options
    I have a buddy in SW PA who has a "legacy" (original) Power Wagon--not a crew cab, though. It's a '47. They built that body from '39 to '68!!!!
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Too bad Subaru discontinued it. Oh wait....different car. :D
  • Options
    Let me know when you start seeing 'those' Legacys at cruise-ins or at B-J auctions! ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I liked the Legacy wagon, in 2005 you could get a turbo with a manual transmission, a rare and cool combination for a wagon.

For this latest generation SIA only builds Outbacks, no Legacy wagons. The manual turbo is long gone.

Subaru builds Legacy wagons in Japan, but they are not imported for this market, so every Legacy and Outback you see is made in Indiana.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    that version of the GT wagon was kind of like a discount V70R. For the LL Bean crowd.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'm amazed at the prices old, clapped-out, banged up Outbacks bring--it's very hard to find a good one. You don't even want to go near one that hasn't had the 2.5L engine's head gaskets replaced recently.
  • Options
    The turbos had the semi-closed desk block, so there wasn't the same frequency of head gasket issues.

Thankfully Subaru redesigned the heads entirely on the F series engines (FA, FB) so that coolant isn't even routed through the gaskets any more, putting that issue to bed for good.
  • Options
    What year was that, that they got rid of the headgasket issue? That's good info to know.
  • Options
    I know when I was looking at OBs last year, that was one of the big changes from a 2012 to 2013 (moving to the new engine). I think the imprezza/forester moved a year earlier?

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    "What year was that, that they got rid of the headgasket issue? That's good info to know."

I had thought it was back in 2004 or so, based on CR problem charts. So we got a used 2007 Forester. Now the dreaded 'black dots' are showing up in 2007! So maybe it's NOW been fixed...but I remain skeptical. Seems like it takes 5 years to show itself, so it'll be 2017 before we *know* the problem's been solved.
  • Options
    They changed the head gasket material to be more durable back around '04.

Then they phased out the EJ25 engines and started to use the FB25 (2011 Forester first, then 2012 Outback) and FB20 (2012 Impreza, when it was redone), and the DI version joint venture with Toyota, FA20.

Impossible for coolant to leak through a head gasket when it no longer flows through the head gasket!
  • Options
    toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    An original '60's Ford GT40. On the road, in Wisconsin, in January! I just looked online, and see there's Lot's of replicas out there, so maybe that's what it was. Looked nice, sat low, nice V8 rumble, wasn't a VW kit car.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...red 1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass four-door hardtop on Naplfle Street between Verree and Rising Sun in NE Philly. I doubt that red was the original color as it was way too bright.
  • Options
    a yellow one.

at the Toyota dealer, with a rope around it. I didn't ask to sit in it.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    No doubt a replica as an original is worth $10 million dollars, at least. Not something you risk on public roads. A nice replica is just Lexus money.

I had a goot spotting day today:

Mercedes 220 gas, circa 1971---very clean. This would be a nice car to own and use as a daily driver.

Ford Panel truck, maybe 1949/50 ??---driving down the road, a bit rough

Avanti (the REAL one), in a driveway in Sonoma nr. real estate office...kinda shabby, with spray-can-painted door, one flat tire. Don't know what's up with it.
  • Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392
    I saw a bright red '56 T-Bird parked in the driveway of a small house. The hood was open and the front was on a set of ramps. I thought I could make out somebody under it working on the underside of the car. The car itself looked good with shiny paint and chrome, at least a number 3, possibly a 2er.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 287
    I saw this in an antique auction ad. Garth's just north of Columbus, Oh is selling a 1971 Volvo 1800E & claim it has 29611 original miles. May be common to some of the people on here, but I have never seen one. I'm not able to post a picture but the auction site garths.com has 8 or 10 pictures. Sale is 1-26-2013.
  • Options
    jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 287
    In about 1967 the local Ford dealer in Ashland,KY had one on display in their showroom. That night it cruised thru the local drive-in & screamed thru a few gears when it left.
  • Options
    looks pretty nice. interesting color that I don't recall seeing on a Volvo. Curious what it ends up going for.

• Options
    In the dictionary under "period colors"

Didn't see anything of note today, other than the weird ratty 67 Galaxie with a spoiler that I know isellhondas has spotted too. Oh, and a Ford Courier, those are thin on the ground anymore.
  • Options
    Mighty powerful asking price for a 450SL. Sucky year for those cars, 1975. They put the catalytics IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT! :surprise:

"only" 142,000 miles?

Well it took $28,000 in receipts to get that far, so figure .20 cents a mile for repairs + .33 a mile for gas...okay .50 cents a mile to drive it.

Not toooooo bad if you go only 3,000 miles a year.
  • Options
    garv214garv214 Member Posts: 162
    Avanti (the REAL one), in a driveway in Sonoma nr. real estate office...kinda shabby, with spray-can-painted door, one flat tire. Don't know what's up with it.

I think I know which car you are referring to. I have seen one near Sonoma town square with black plates outside of a business. I will be up there next weekend, maybe I can get a picture of it...
  • Options
    If you're tall you may not have fit!
  • Options
    michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Sean Connery didn't, which is why the 2000GT in "You Only Live Twice" was converted to a roadster.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Oh yeah, it's more of a ~10K car I think, I just liked (well, I noticed) the colors and the state of preservation - lots of these things are ratty, this one looks spotless. I've never seen a light orange 107 before.
  • Options
    Not a bad color for the car actually--they look kinda dumpy in black or maroon IMO. One would have to do something about moving those catalytics however--cars of that year suffer from maddening vapor lock issues.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I've seen a few in brown, red-orange, tan, light yellow, other period colors. Such things were once a negative, but as time goes on, add some character.

I wonder if those cats can just be removed?

Speaking of 107s and period pieces, I still like this SLC - brought $6K at auction
  • Options
    SLC is a hard sell---$6K seems about market correct for a clean one. Problem is you have to know what you're buying, as these cars can eat money like a whale eats krill.

Yes I think you can remove the cats and make up an exhaust system that would work. Just don't bring it to California.
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    edited January 2013
    ...beautiful teal green 1966 Pontiac Catalina Safari wagon filling up in front of my Mercury Grand Marquis at the Sunoco/A-Plus at Rhawn and Verree in NE Philly.
  • Options
    Do you mean the dark color? I always loved that color and I think all the Big Three offered it in the sixties. Very elegant I think, and no doubt had a light aqua interior. I miss those interior and exterior colors today.
  • Options
    I'd think the worst on an early car like that would be the 12/15mpg it strives to attain. No insane emissions crap, small bumpers - the way to go.

When are cars exempt there? Is 75 the cutoff?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, hybrids, motorcycles, trailers, or gasoline powered vehicles 1975 and older.

So YES you could bring that de-catted 1975 Mercedes to California in theory---but if it's coming from out of state, it would have to be inspected by the highway patrol, and I guess there's an odd chance they'd spot the missing cats (nah, would they?)...so, small risk. But you wouldn't need a smog certificate.

If I remember correctly, it's never legal to remove emissions equipment, even on exempt cars. Not sure i"m right but I think that's true.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I'd guess unless the inspector had a book, he wouldn't recognize that odd cat setup. Not something seen every day, especially by someone there who probably is used to dealing with sketchy used Honyotas from Joisey.

As with virtually all rules, it is only illegal if you get caught :shades:

Odd sighting today, US spec C126 500SEC (so only 1984-85, IIRC), kind of neglected, parked horribly in a crowded lot taking up two spaces, with a window down on a cold evening.
  • Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    Staying in downtown chicago this evening and a silver Fisker Karma is parked in valet parking. Very cool looking. People were taking pictures of it as they walked in or out of the lobby.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Someone else posted this elsewhere, and I thought it was interesting. I know '59 was a good year for Studebaker, but in Feb. they outsold Dodge in cars, which I would have not expected. The other makes below Stude, I could believe in '59.

The truck registrations show how moribund Stude's truck business was by '59. The trucks were advanced in '49 (inside door step, instrumentation serviced from under the hood instead of under the dash), but were old-hat by '59 with only some fairly minor changes made in that time. Pickup sales were up in the early '60's with the Champ, but not for long.

Interesting numbers and comparisons with a year earlier.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?68276-February-59-Studebak- er-Cracks-Top-Ten-(Trucks-for-the-Month-Too)
  • Options
    They are beautiful cars. My friend's dad has one. Fisker is apparently in a huge insurance battle--they lost a ton of cars from Hurricane Sandy and the insurance company is balking on payoff. That could hurt the company severely.
  • Options
    toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Last time I stayed in downtown Chicago I saw a Bugatti Super Sport in traffic. The way people drive down there I was nervous in my Mitsubishi.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • Options
    jljacjljac Member Posts: 649
    Studebaker did well in 1959, but Rambler did even better because it was ahead of Plymouth, Buick and and Mercury. Plymouth was usually the third best selling model in America. Timing is very important. American Motors gave up on the small Nash/Rambler in 1956-57 but brought it back in 1958 as the Rambler American. Then AMC quit production of the large Nash and Hudson and dropped those model names.

Americans did not want small cars until 1958. Why should they buy a small car when they could get a full size Chevy, Ford or Plymouth for approximately the same price?
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Economically at least, there couldn't have been a better time back then for the market for smaller cars. Lead times were slow back then as reflected by the D3 taking until 1960 to get out their compacts.
  • Options
    I think Miami, followed by LA is probably the best place to see expensive or unusual cars cruising around, at least in my experience.
  • Options
    Went to Portland today, lots of old cars around as the place has a mild climate and is kind of hipsterish. Lots of 70s-80s Volvos, nice looking Mach 1, many old VW vans including a very early (maybe 50s vintage) panel, very decent 70s Datsun pickup and for some reason several old Mazda pickups, immaculate early MR2, 67 or so Barracuda, and the highlight for me, spotted just south of Tacoma - an absolutely pristine W126 cruising down I5. Black 380SEL on chrome disc style wheels, looked brand new, had to have been restored or was a very low mile and well kept survivor.
  • Options
    So what kind of VooDoo donuts did you get while there?
  • Options
    maple bacon I bet.
  • Options
    Didn't do that, but did have a hazelnut milkshake for breakfast at a Burgerville (healthy!)
  • Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    They are beautiful cars.

Yeah, the Fiskar is simply stunning in person. I saw plenty of exotics on Saturday around the "Mag Mile". It was a strange day. Left the house in a short sleeve shirt with 60 degree temps and by 7 O'clock I was walking out of Water Tower Place mall with sleet falling down and wishing I didn't leave my coat at the hotel. Saw an Aston DB (couldn't get a good enough look to see which number, a few Maseratis, a Bentley Continental convertible among others.