Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,989
    Pardon me not knowing but I’ve read tri 5 Chevy a couple of times lately. What does that refer to? 55,56,57 year models?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    Yes, that's correct.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,114
    "Sherman, fire up the Wayback Machine!"

I'd even take the paint-needy '53 Stude parked across the street.

andre, are you in?!

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    This quarantine is affecting my wife in an unusual way. She reminded me that I had said that on her fortieth birthday, we could get her a Karmann-Ghia. Well, she is 55 on her next birthday. She was actually looking at ads, and videos, of them for sale last night!

Truth is, I'd probably have an easier time finding service for one than my Studebaker, which the mere name makes shops say "nuh-uh". I now preface service requests with "It has a Chevy 283", LOL.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,419
    I'll take the Jag.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited April 2020
    I love the Jag too, one of the only imports I love, but I do wonder why they did the windshield that way.

It seems the earliest this pic could be was 1961.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,325
    68 Hurst Olds video(Bud Lindemann narration).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpmxaamNwhw
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Not sure what you mean about the windshield. It is a 1-piece glass but there is a tension rod from the top of the frame to the top of the dash. A bunch of British roadsters did that back then.

• Options
    Yes, I meant that it appears to be a split windshield.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    I like those early E-Types on whitewalls, which I think were a factory option until maybe 63-64. Plenty of period photos showing them, even an ad:

• Options
    I like whitewalls against wheels too for cars of that period (Jags, Corvettes, Avantis, although I think only Jag had wide whites). We've had fifty years since of wheels with blackwalls.
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    I wonder what state that Jaguar pic was taken in? In 1957, some states allowed quad headlights and some banned them, so that's why the '57 Chrysler, Imperial, and larger DeSotos were designed to take either 2 or 4 headlights. For '58, apparently the Feds stepped in and made quads legal coast to coast. I've always been curious, as to which states allowed quads in '57 and which banned them? All I know, is they must have been legalized in PA, as that's where my DeSoto came from.

What is that small car parked at the curb on this side of the street? The salmon-colored one with the white top. My first thought was something like a Ford Anglia, but I don't think that's right. It's something that looks familiar though, like once I know what it is, I'll be like "D'oh!" :p
  • Options
    How about a Hillman Minx?
  • Options
    Definitely looks like a Minx to me.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I have no idea where the pic was taken; it was on Facebook this morning.

Today I spotted a '90 Mercury Grand Marquis sedan, silver, gasing up while I was. New York plates. Probably a twenty-year old kid gasing it up one row over, one pump back. I knew it was a very late one, as it had the bumpers that didn't wrap around at all; when I asked, he said "'90--Bought it from an old guy who quit driving--two grand". Someone had put a Mustang "5.0" emblem on the front fenders.

I told him I hadn't seen one in years.

He volunteered that he couldn't get home.

I said "Can't get gas?"

He said "The bridges in the city are only open one-way". Said he's staying with a friend at her place in Stow, near Kent where I live.

I guess that's all logical, but I hadn't heard about the bridges in/out of NYC.

When he started it up, it definitely needed exhaust work.
  • Options
    Yesterday, I watch Alfred Hitchcock's Topaz, centered around the Cuban missile crisis.
    Lot's of good american and french vehicle's to be seen.
    I liked the black Cadillac limo the best.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,933
    Box Panthers are still a very common site here in South Jersey. When commuting it wasn't uncommon to see one a day in some variation.

Was never a huge fan of the 90/91. I think for the box years 88/89 was the best mix of the more rounded style and the older dash. Town Cars were revised for 90 with the aero treatment. Vics and Marquis didn't get that until 1992.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    I like the 95-97 aero TC more than the original, the facelift sharpened it up a little and made it look lighter.

On the road today in the old car, spotted a maybe 64-65 Continental convertible, no other oldies other than me and a friend out for an essential drive.
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I'm guessing that the prices of some classic cars are falling as the economic downturn continues....
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    What's behind the desoto in pic?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Red and black car looks like a 56 Olds.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    Now I see it's an Olds. My phone is not as good because I can't blow up pictures on Edmunds.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    This pic was on a FB page called "Photographs from the '70's"--a '61 Lark Cruiser in front of a fintail. Newest car is a '69 Impala. I like the '63 Tempest, but it's not a LeMans so would have the goofy one round taillight on top of another, instead of the cool horizontal lights low in the panel.

Sheesh, that's some tight parking!
  • Options
    Looks like a college campus. Fintail is a later run W110, likely a 4cyl or diesel car, probably MY 1966 +. Fairlane behind the Impala also a 69?
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I always liked that design Fairlane. much nicer looking than the Chevy.

Dodge van in front of the Stude.

and cars those days had nice battering ram bumpers to aid with touch parking.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    '63 Tempest in front of the '69 Impala sport coupe. Time traveler cell phone zombie on the right.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    I knew the Fairlane was either a '68 or '69, but I don't know them enough to differentiate from the front.

Much-better looking than the '70 and '71 IMHO.
  • Options
    The Hillman Minx in the Jag photo--I always thought that in places, those resembled a shrunken '53 Studebaker. Someone else said the same thing under the pic on Facebook overnight.
  • Options
    omarman said:

'63 Tempest in front of the '69 Impala sport coupe. Time traveler cell phone zombie on the right.

If you right-click and blow up the pic you can see she is about to light a cigarette. I had that suspicion from the way she is holding her hands.

The other very apparent thing there is how the pontoon fenders on the '69 Chevy made the car look like the wheels were way too far inward. Surprised GM Design did that (or maybe not so surprised if GM bean counters at the time rejected a proposal to widen the track).

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    I had a chance to buy a Talladega in the early '80s- I stupidly passed.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    edited April 2020
    A couple things I liked about the '69 Chevy (although I didn't love them), was you could still order them with the five-slot Rally Wheels, and bucket seats and console. The Rallys went away after '70 and the buckets and console after '69.

I always thought it was weird--in the Ventura and Bonneville for '69, Pontiac offered bucket seats, but no console or floor shift.

'69 Chevy dash--virtually every one I've seen after a few years old, the thin chromed edge above the speedometer either split in two, or if two pieces originally, the gap became much-more noticeable, LOL.
  • Options
    RE.: That rope-drive Tempest--I particularly like the '62, and would've gotten the 215 V8 which was estimated as installed in only 1-2% of Tempests. I like the '63 also though. My long-time mechanic friend has told me I must be a masochist to have ever wanted one of those, LOL.
  • Options
    Those bulging pontoons on the fenders were one feature I didn't like about the '69 Chevy. That, and Chrysler-esque loop bumper made the cars look chunky. But I do like the fact you could still get hidden headlights. Overall, I prefer the '70. I'm not a fan of the peaked fender/headlight look in general, like what Olds did for a few years, and Dodge tried in '73, but I think the '70 Chevy wears it pretty well.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Two things I don't like about the '70 Chevy--those peaked headlights a la '63-64 Cadillacs and the Cadillac-y flourishy "Chevrolet" scripts. I plainly remember the first '70 Chevy I saw at our local dealer's before introduction day--light blue Caprice 4-door hardtop with the body-colored wheelcovers. Salesman said "A $5,000 Chevy, geezzzzzz".
  • Options
    Those fender arches--both Chevy and Ford took the exact opposite approach for '71--wheel openings cut completely flat into the body sides. On the Chevys, I liked that in combination with the wide rocker trim.
  • Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    While in HS a friend showed me his dad's Tempest station wagon with the Trophy 4 engine and 3-speed. His dad had parked the car "temporarily" in the early 70s when parts became hard to get. When my friend and I graduated 2 years later the Tempest was still waiting for repairs in the back yard.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    At the time I preferred the '69 Chevy to the '70 - I thought the '70 front-end treatment looked a little too delicate and derivative. With time I came to think it looked OK but that took me years. Unlike Andre, I like the loop bumpers that were in vogue for a few years. One thing I didn't like about both the '69 and '70 was the dash. After the sublime '67 design and the step-backwards but still OK '68 version of that, the '69/'70 dash was a real letdown, taking the same idea as Ford of clustering everything in front of the driver and leaving about 2/3rd of the width just empty except for the glove box. I was surprised on our '69 how much painted metal it had too, with just a cap of padding and woodgrain/bright trim.

• Options
    The peaked headlights on a 70 Chevy always make me think of this unusual car chase scene:

https://youtu.be/D3neQZqFP3M

Apparently their AC could be troublesome, too.
  • Options
    Don't let anyone ever call you a Mercedes B******, LOL!

What movie is this I feel like I've seen it before but I can't pull up a title.
  • Options
    Marathon Man! I saw that in my hometown theater!
  • Options
    I have yet to receive that insult lol. I can be jerky, but not to [non-permissible content removed]-levels of loathsomeness B)

I didn't realize heating oil could be so volatile, but good to know a stalled fintail can be revived with a rear end tap. That car is somewhat odd, appears to have the badge and rear bumper of a lowline 220, but has fin chrome and tail lights of a higher 220S/SE. Probably no newer than 1962.

Don't let anyone ever call you a Mercedes B******, LOL!

What movie is this I feel like I've seen it before but I can't pull up a title.

• Options
    We had been talking about the Fairmont/Zephyr here recently, so this is timely:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1980-mercury-zephyr-wagon/

The car looks good, but a 91-hp six and those taxicab seats do it no favors.

• Options
    150 miles put on it by the seller, I wonder if that speaks more of the flipping industry or the driving experience.

My uncle had a Fairmont wagon for a short time when I was a kid, Dark blue with matching interior, pretty sure it was cloth, don't know the engine but I suspect a 6 - in the days of 55 I suppose it didn't matter.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Now you sucked me in! I really like this but going to be way too much for a toy.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-jeep-wrangler-islander/

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    We had a Fairmont rental in CA.
    Had good AC and got us across Death Valley(105-110 degrees during the day).
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    ab348 said:

We had been talking about the Fairmont/Zephyr here recently, so this is timely:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1980-mercury-zephyr-wagon/

The car looks good, but a 91-hp six and those taxicab seats do it no favors.

My parents once owned a 1978 Ford Fairmont wagon. Woodie. 6-cylinder. Loaded. Bought it new. Only kept it about a year because originally we were going to get rid of our 69 VW Bus after getting it, but my family loved the VW Bus so much we just couldn't do it. So we sold the woodie private sale, losing only about $900, and turned around and bought a new 1979 Datsun 210 base with the 1.2 liter engine for $3700.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    I'm surprised that straight six put out that much torque! Although, maybe that was about normal for something that size? I just looked it up, and the Chevy 200 V6 put out 160 ft-lb in '78 and 154 in '79. I wonder about that '79 number though. Usually by that time, weren't auto makers rounding torque to the nearest 5 ft-lb?

As spartan as that interior is, somehow I have a feeling Ford would have found a way to make the Fairmont version even cheaper. That red color might dress it up a bit, though. I imagine in a beige or gray, it would look pretty bleak. One thing I can't remember...was the upper edge of the door trim hard plastic, or bare metal? I would think bare metal would have been banned by this time, but you never know.
  • Options
    I wonder what would have been slower...a 4-cyl Fairmont of the 200? HP was close, but naturally the 200 had more torque. But, the 200 would have been heavier, and they probably geared it taller.
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,989
    The 200 six was always a dog power wise, however smoother and quieter than the 2.3 four. I imagine it was marginally quicker and a tad thirstier but not by much.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    maxspeed22maxspeed22 Member Posts: 5
    I just spotted my own mustang today. Still on quarantine