Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Pilot Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well what I meant was that leather is very hard to clean if you spill something nasty on it. It's an organic material and often absorbs stains permanently. Not the best choice for kids or dogs IMO...of course, black leather would be better than light beige in that sense...it's also easy to rub the dye off leather if you scrub too vigorously....those aren't gray cows out there... :P
  • Options
    kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    Also, what they said about the third row (used for kids, susceptible to spills and stains) is almost as applicable to the middle row. What's next, no leather there too?

Yep!

I would think the middle row would receive at least as many, and probably more spills for the "Average" family. Honda saves a little money there and likely passes that along to the customer. LOL

Do they do something nice, like that, for the Pilots with cloth seats? Maybe a synthetic that looks like cloth but is easier to clean? :shades:

Kip
  • Options
    those aren't gray cows out there...

Do what ???

Are you gonna say there aren't black, white, tan, or maroon skinned ones either?

I hope you can back that up Shiftright ! :P

Kip
    (next he will probably deny the easter bunny)
  • Options
    What I want to see is that red white and blue cow they used to upholster a hot rod I saw recently.

No, REALLY...you've got to be very careful with leather if you want it to remain clean and pliant. Most folks don't give it the treatment it deserves. It's marketed as this low maintenance material that's tough as cowhide but it's not quite like that. Personally I'd opt for a synthetic if it looked good (which is apparently not the case in this complaint we're talking about). All those "classic" Mercedes you see from the 60s--80s are mostly done in "fake" leather and BMW makes a great-looking fake.
  • Options
    The "Fakes" really hold up well if good quality. Motorcycle seats, boat seats, and such do much better in the synthetics. The sun is not a friend of leather.

But like others have said, If I'm paying for leather....!

Kip
    (Think I saw a red, white and Blue cow on cartoon network)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    red cow, white cow, blue cow, gray cow.

I'm partial to cloth seats myself :P

And if someone says there's no blue food out there, I'm gonna toss an ear of huitlacoche at you, unless the cow eats it first. :P
  • Options
    There ya go Steve! Good man!

Shiftright was just messing with us, wasn't he? :confuse:

Kip
  • Options
    plchanplchan Member Posts: 66
    Would the HC cover the audio speakers?

Well, in more specific, would the standard warranty cover the audio speakers (I purchased the Honda pilot on Feb 2007 and it has 1300 miles on the car)? I found out one of the audio speakers (not the subwoofer) plays some weird sound when the music has heavy base. I plan to bring the car back to the dealership to have them check it out. However, the weird sound does not come out all the time :(
  • Options
    nimrod99nimrod99 Member Posts: 343
    I was thinking about getting a Pilot and the one thing that really bothers me - is the trend by Honda (and even BMW) to go with red turn signals on the rear.

Does anyone know if there are aftermarket lights to convert a Pilot's rear lights back to the safer Amber Turn signals

Its a well known fact that flashing red turn signals are momentarily confused with braking, and this contributes to hesitation and accidents. Or if the brake pedal is pumped - it may be confused with a turn signal (vise versa)

Are there pilots sold overseas - maybe amber turn signal lenses are available overseas?
  • Options
    mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    I bought a new 2007 pilot three days ago and drove it to work for the first time today. I noticed that the instrument cluster light stayed on the whole time even without the headlights or parking lights on. Is there an automatic feature to the instrument cluster lighting? It was foggy and dark outside and I wonder if there is a light sensor or something that automatically lights up the instrument cluster even if you don't put on the head lights or parking lights.
  • Options
    plchanplchan Member Posts: 66
    The instrument panel lights stay on after you start your engine (even without turning the head light on). However, I am not sure if it has the auto-sensor to lights up or light down the instrument cluster thou.

What color and configuration did you get?
  • Options
    Mine is the nimbus grey EX-L with Rear Entertainment system. I am glad the light does stay on even without turning on the lights. This feature is new to me as I had to turn on the parking or headlights for the instrument cluster light to come on. I don't think it has the light sensor as I noticed that the instrument cluster was lit up even when it was really bright and sunny. I only thought it might have one because when I noticed it the first time, I was driving on a very dark and cloudy morning.
  • Options
    goldieggoldieg Member Posts: 25
    i completely agre with you. My wife thinks i am crazy but that is one reservation that is keeping me from getting Pilot. I was wondering if there are after market lights that we can buy to replace red with orange/amber. The buld itself is white, it is the outer cover which is red.
    let me know if you find info on the net.
  • Options
    You are not buying a vehicle because you don't like the color of the rear turn signals?
  • Options
    normhnormh Member Posts: 30
    Just as a general comment; When you say "convert back to amber", the Pilot has never had amber turn signal lights. It came out in '03 with red lenses, and went with clear's after that.

Norm.....
  • Options
    I mean't by "convert back to amber" in the sense that amber is the internationally recognized color for turn signals (indicators) and that amber has been proven to be safer compared to red (shorter reaction time for drivers following). There is no confusion when you see a flashing amber tail light. However - a flashing red tail light could mean - I am pumping my brakes (if the CHMSL the other side are obscured by a closley following vehicle).
    It gets even more confusing when the brake and turn are combined into one lamp.

Authors
    JUHA LUOMA MICHAEL J. FLANNAGAN MICHAEL SIVAK MASAMI AOKI ERIC C. TRAUBE
    Abstract
    This laboratory experiment was designed to compare reaction times to brake signals when they appear with red or yellow turn signals. The subject's task was to respond as quickly as possible to the onset of peripherally presented brake lamps, while engaged in a central tracking task. There were three lamp conditions: brake lamps alone, brake lamps while turn signal was on, and a turn-signal lamp alone. The results showed that yellow turn signals, in comparison to red turn signals, led to significantly shorter reaction times to brake signals.

Keywords
    Colour Luminous Intensity Turn Signals Brake Signals Brake Lamps Reaction Time
    References
  • Options
    I searched for Honda Pilot overseas and it seems that they are called Honda MR-V (or Acura) depending on the country

No luck with trying to locate a replacement rear tail light assembly that has amber turn signals.

Well Honda - you lost a potential customer - I'll stick with getting a Toyota (the biggest car company in the world), that takes safety seriously and uses amber turn signals
  • Options
    I'm with you!

To add insult to injury both boat and both utility trailers all have red turn signals. Not an amber one in the bunch.

Every time a car gets behind my Pilot I wonder if they will understand that the left tail light blinking means I intend to turn left. And when the right tail light is blinking I intend to turn right, and when they both come on together I intend to slow or stop.
    If suddenly my tail lights come on together, how would they know whether or not I just turned on the lights or intend to stop.

If both back lights are blinking together, how will they know if I'm indicating hazard or I've lost my breaks and desperately pumping them trying to stop. :sick:

It is all so confusing! Probably they should have a stack of lights back there all color coded. Such as:
    -Red for tail lights
    -Amber for turn signals
    -Really intense Orange for "He already made the turn and forgot to cancel the turn signal
    -Pink for hazard
    -All light up for brakes. Looks like the car caught fire!
    Maybe even the back up light come on too during braking to force that car behind you to back off!

Yeah....that would work! And each light could have it's own shape and designated area on the trunk or hatch. Lots of unused space back there!

I hope Honda sees this before Toyota or some other good car company steals it!

:shades:

Kip
  • Options
    Frankly, I don't like the red turn signals as well. I am sure it is cheaper to have it one color than have separate colors. but the pilot is such value for money that i decided to overlook this annoyance and not let it be a factor in my decision to buy a pilot.
  • Options
    caugncaugn Member Posts: 29
    Thanks. Do you know if it's located under the center console on the rear AC controls?
  • Options
    bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Here is the fix with photos.

Honda Service Bulletin
  • Options
    caugncaugn Member Posts: 29
    So, I pulled the transistor and tested the resistance with my multi-meter, as directed in the service bulletin. The transistor tested OK. So, I guess I'll start pulling the center console apart and find the rear blower motor and see if I can find a problem with that. The rear unit does have power, at least the manual control lights up when I switch it over from auto, so I assume it is getting power.

Any other thoughts would be most welcome.
  • Options
    sagalibasagaliba Member Posts: 31
    Wonder if this thing work, it looks simple to apply:
    DynaSpray
  • Options
    says "recommended thickness" is about 2mm. Don't see how a spray can is going to do that very easily unless you go over it multiple times---and at $25 bucks a can, one wonders if this is all worth it.
  • Options
    2mm is not thick at all. It is only about 1/16 (one sixteenth) inch. Besides, I am sure the can is spraying thick glop stuff and not just thin paint.
  • Options
    Maybe so....but then we'd have to ask...what kind of noise is 1/16th of an inch going to block out?

I like Dynamat products but I remain skeptical that soundproofing that thin can have any real effect that we would notice.
  • Options
    ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    I agree. Amber is clear and unambiguous. How much did the car lobby pay to get that rule changed over here.
  • Options
    What do you mean by "rule changed over here?" If "here" means US, to the best of my knowledge, there was never a rule that stated rear turning signals have to be amber. In fact, I don't recall seeing any American cars/trucks with rear amber turning lights back in the '70s.
  • Options
    I agree!

Gotta keep in mind that sometimes folks will come up with all kinds of reason not to buy a particular brand. Maybe they can't admit it is better than what they want, their spouse says they can't get a new car, or they simply can't afford it. Whatever the reason, they see fit to come onto a forum of enthusiast and bad mouth the product.

I personally think the Pilot is without a doubt the best buy on the market for the type of vehicle and the dollar spent.

With all it's fine virtues I would not let something like the color of the turn signals or the shape of the steering wheel spokes or the feel of the leather or any other single minor thing keep me from buying another Pilot.

We had a few recalls on our 03 and a couple of things that needed fixing, but that didn't surprise me as it was a new model that year and that is what warranties are for..

If I see a blinking amber light way out ahead, in the dark, I really don't know if it is a car turning or one of those barriers they put up to block a hole or construction, until I get close enough to actually see "WHAT" is blinking. It could even be a car either coming toward me or going away if it has rear ambers signals. A red light blinking tells me a car, truck or trailer is turning. Either way it is going the same direction as me and I back off until it does something.

My first car was a 39 Ford coupe. I've had 60 or so since then. Seems our 03 CR-V might have amber turn signals, but don't really recall any others that did.

Different strokes for different folks. :)

Kip
  • Options
    I agree with kipk here. I prefer amber lights and it annoys me that Honda choose to save a few pennies here, but overall it is the Pilot is great value that I was willing to over look this annoyance and buy a Pilot.
  • Options
    ebzkyebzky Member Posts: 6
    I was driving down the expressway when I noticed the oil light blinking. I exited the expressway, stopped at a gas station, and read the owner's manual. It said the oil pressure is "dangerously low" and that I shouldn't drive it. I checked the oil and it was a little low, so I bought a quart. Without adding the oil, I tried to turn on the engine and it simply fluttered (click-click-click...) and wouldn't start. I had to have it towed to a nearby Honda dealer and they'll look at it Monday (then I needed a long taxi ride home). It's a 2004 Pilot with just under 36,000 miles on it. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?
  • Options
    Could be two problems.

You did the right thing by pulling off and checking the oil when the light started blinking.

Adding oil may "Fixed" the first problem.

The 2nd problem could have been freaky coincidental.
    The clicking noise when attempting to start could be the battery just pretty much died or a loose battery cable.

Modern batteries seem to be fine one minute and not work the next. Crank up and go to the store and when you come out of the store it goes click, buzz, click!

I'm about to the point of replacing the batteries every three years. Just to help keep that sort of thing from happening.

Good luck and please post the outcome!

Kip
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    oil light was blinking or another light?

i highly doubt if it was "a little low", and i'm not sure how low that was, care to say (?), that it would flutter or that the oil pressure light would come on, but i'm not an automotive mechanic.

have you had the oil changed on a regular basis?

to me, it seems like something much more serious (unfortunately) - but too many possibilities to speculate.

the best thing was that you got off the highway and had it towed.

good luck.
  • Options
    rpowersrpowers Member Posts: 24
    This bulletin and photos were a great help, thanks!!
    How can service bulletins like this be accessed? are there specific Pilot related bulletins? I have a couple of different issues with my 05, I'd like to see if any are covered.

Thanks,
    Robbie
  • Options
    bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    I don't know if all bulletins are online. I just knew of this problem since I had the transistor replaced under warranty so I searched online and found that specific problem. I have the printed shop manual, but they are expensive.

Did you find out what the actual problem was with the rear A/C?
  • Options
    Our 03 Pilot had water spots on the windows. All the windows. I tried every type of glass cleaner, rubbing compound, polishing compound, wax, 0000 steel wool, Stuff for removing calcium and lime deposits, gas, denatured alcohol, ammonia, chrome cleaner, and a lot of desperation! Nothing even touched it. :sick:

Dealer said it was from acid rain. Another "Expert" said it was because it is washed in well water. Fought this for nearly 3 years. Managed to stop it from spreading, but the spots appeared to be permenant. Then I noticed (finally) that the hood's dark plastic bug deflector and the shades above the windows, that I had installed, did not have the spots. Neither does our 78 Chevy Van or my wifes 03 CR-V.

The CR-V and the Pilot came from 2 different dealers. The Pilot dealer said it was from acid rain or the well water. So I talked to the head of the "Get Ready" department at the CR-V dealer. He said it is really important to get all the "Shipping Chemicals" off the car as soon as delivered to the dealer. If they are not removed completely and promptly, those chemicals will often react with rain and such and form what appears to be permenat water spots.

Made some sense as the car he prepared did not spot and the other one did. He ordered me a bottle of "Water Spot Remover". When I came to pick it up, he rubbed it on one of the rear side windows. Let it sit for a couple of minutes and wiped it off. Spots seemed to have faded. He repeated the process and the spots were gone. GONE!

I spent about 2 hours doing the rest of the windows. That was 6-8 months ago. The spots have not returned in spite of acid rain and washing the car in well water.

A friends Toyota Four Runner was worse than mine. He got a bottle and it worked for him also. Good stuff!

Kip
  • Options
    ebzkyebzky Member Posts: 6
    You were correct, by freaky coincidence it was a dead battery. Once the battery was replaced, the diagnostics found no issues. But I had the oil flushed just to be safe, as it was due for a change anyway. Thanks for the responses, my Pilot is up and running again!
  • Options
    Glad it wasn't something serious. Be sure to do the ILP. Honda's "Get ready" TSB says to do it if battery is disconnected for any reason!
    Go to "Pilot Real World MPG" Post 202 page 11 for a simple how to!

justaveragejoe, "Honda Pilot Real World MPG" #198, 26 Dec 2006 9:43 pm

Kip
  • Options
    justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    Kip,

I noticed that I had water spots on my 2007 Pilot a couple weeks after I took delivery. It took a couple times of cleaning to get them off. No acid rain out here and no well water either. I suspected the it was from the dealer but I figured I do a better job at detailing so I cleaned them myself. I am interested in the manufacturer of the product you used. I have put "Rain-X" on all the windows and that really helped, nice and shiny. However this product makes the windshield wipers not wipe smoothly for the first couple rains.
  • Options
    Joe,

These folks have about anything you can imagine for taking care of a car. Do a Search for Water Spot Remover. Then look near the bottom of the page and is stock #642. goswac.com http://www.goswac.com/
    Kip
  • Options
    justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    Thanks! I have used the clay bar (but from Meguires) for my cars that stay outside and they make the paint as smooth as glass. A great product.
  • Options
    ciacia Member Posts: 10
    HI,I own a 2003 pilot that runs very well.My wife drove for a week with the w.w. fluid warning light on and when I filled it up,the yellow light did not dissapear.In the past every time I filled It the light would shut off.Could the sensor indicator be damaged because it stayed on for a week?
    Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?Thanks... :) CIA
  • Options
    Yeah, it's probably a little plunger like in your toilet and it might be stuck from having hung open for a while. Just a thought.
  • Options
    I doubt the sensor could be damaged. I think Shifty is probably correct, it's probably a stuck float. Not having one, I am only guessing. Another possibility: the connector to the sensor has come unplugged, or a wire has slipped off.
  • Options
    sfranksfrank Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a brand new 2007 Honda Pilot EXL with 15 miles on it 3 weeks ago, and it has now been in the shop twice for over a week. I am having a very strange and scary issue. Three times now when I am braking at a stop light, the engine has suddently started revving at very high RPM's and the car is actually trying to move forward while I am braking. This weekend, I had to put the car in neutral to stop it from hitting the car in front of me, and when I put it back in drive, the tires screeched as the car tried to take off against my will. I am terrified.

The dealership is unwilling to take any steps to eliminate the problem since the car won't seem to do the same thing for them and no codes are showing up on the computer. In the meantime, I am without my car, and a technician is driving it back and forth to his home (100 miles per day) to try to "experience" the problem.

I am so frustrated. Has anyone else had this issue?
  • Options
    pratzertpratzert Member Posts: 19
    I had a car many years ago that did that very same thing. It ended up being a broken motor mount that caused the throttle cable to jam.

I have a 2006 Pilot 4WD EXL and have not had that specific problem. But I have had it in the shop at least 10 times since I've owned it ( 7 months ) for all sorts of problems.
    The infamous vibration problem was one, which, to me, is a safety issue too.

If I were you, I'd tell them to keep the Pilot and have the service manager drive it back and forth and all around until the problem surfaces for him. An engine that revs up is a severe safety problem.

Let us know how you make out.

Tim
  • Options
    boughtalemonboughtalemon Member Posts: 28
    If it's any consolation, you are not the only Pilot owner frustrated with the kind of response you get from the dealership. I hope they gave you, at least, a rental car while they are driving yours. And it should be a comparable car, not the cheapest, smallest there is.
  • Options
    ciacia Member Posts: 10
    Hi Mr Shiftright,I had a chance this week-end to look at my w.w.fluid light.I took out the reservoir and let me tell you,it wasn't fun.I did not see a plunger in it.I saw the sensor under the reservoir.I called one of my friends that works at Honda and he said the sensor is burn't.The cost for the part is $60.00(Can).So I unpluged the sensor for now and the light is out.I have to order the part next week.So,to all you Pilot owners,fill that reservoir when the light comes on or it may cost you a sensor.Later....CIA
  • Options
    Well that is bad news!

Are you saying the sensor went bad because the wiper fluid tank was low and the "ADD FLUID" light sensor stayed "On" for a while and burned itself out, as a light bulb might do!

Honda ought to fix that. There are sensors all over the car that are "ON" when things just operate normally.

I guess they do "blow" once in a while. Just don't seem right!

Kip
  • Options
    agree. i find it VERY hard to believe the sensor would "burn out" because of lack of fluid present in the resevoir. i think it's just a low-probability sensor failure myself.