Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    crosskeys09crosskeys09 Member Posts: 3
    Julian - Thanks for the info. Did you go in and nego price w/salesperson or go thru Costco or another to get your price?
  • Options
    ranger17ranger17 Member Posts: 1
    Juliankrye, can you please let me know the delaer name in North Jersey. Thanks
  • Options
    alwaysadaylatealwaysadaylate Member Posts: 7
    2011 pilot EX-L 4WD $32,412.26
    Destination $780.00
    TTL $1984.74
    OTD $35,177
    All of the following included: Rubber mats, Tray liner, Zylon covering(no warranty), under coating,pin stripe, and wheel locks.
    Average, Good, or Great deal?

We are concerned about the tranny issues that we have been reading about. No matter how great the deal a tranny issue is not worth it.
    TIA
  • Options
    lsuabcdlsuabcd Member Posts: 2
    Hello there,

I live in Northern Louisiana, and I'm so ready to buy a pilot. The best quote I got so far is

2011 Pilot EXL 2WD, without Nav or RES, $31,200+TTL

Is this a good deal? Ant better? I noticed that someone got it fro $30,999.
    I'm new to this forum and new to buying Pilot.
    Appreciate your response

Rog
  • Options
    honda09honda09 Member Posts: 15
    Hi Cmartin, Just wondering where you got that quote for the touring 2 wd? Thanks,... plus does that include destination?
  • Options
    tomalleytomalley Member Posts: 3
    How's $30,460 ($29680 + $780) for 2011 Honda Pilot EX 4WD in Monmouth County, NJ? That seems to be about $200 over invoice. Also, 1.9% financing for 60 months. Should I make the deal?
    Thanks
  • Options
    lsuabcdlsuabcd Member Posts: 2
    Are you sure 1.9% financing is for 60 months not 36 months?
    Based on my research, $30,000 is reasonable.
  • Options
    Yes, the 1.9% is 60 months. It's 0.9% for 36 months.
    http://www.hondafinancialservices.com/planning/frm_spec_offers.asp
  • Options
    peter1auspeter1aus Member Posts: 3
    i got 2011 honda pilot ex 4WD at 29819 include Destination charge + TTL + 830 ( 7yrs/80K ) warranty from DCH Honda in NJ
  • Options
    $29819 including Dest charge? How did you do that? Isn't that cutting into their holdback? The best I got from DCH was $29839 not including Dest charge. And they didn't have an EX on the lot. They only had LX and EX-L.
  • Options
    vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Buyer beware.

The Honda dealer will not tell you this:
    The 2011 Honda Pilot failed the safety test and did not get 5 stars from NHTSA.
  • Options
    alwaysadaylatealwaysadaylate Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2010
    The NHTSA has a new rating system only 2 cars passed with 5 stars. The BMW 5 series and the Sonata (after it tweaked it and asked for a retest). So, Pilot is no different than any other car out there. SHEESH....
    Here's a link:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/05/nhtsa-releases-first-batch-of-crash-test-rati- ngs-under-new-safet/
  • Options
    pdx2002pdx2002 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, everybody: we intend to buy a Honda Pilot LX 4WD. A local dealer (Portland, Oregon) told me that he will price match with any dealer's quote (dealer quote could be from any area in the nation). What's price you guys paid for this model? Where can I get a low price quote ? Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    juliankryejuliankrye Member Posts: 52
    ranger17, it looks like I missed you note. i got my pilot from route23 honda. they beat everyone's price in the area including DCH honda.
  • Options
    waterbuffalo1waterbuffalo1 Member Posts: 1
    2011 Honda Pilot EX 4WD, Dark Cherry Pearl exterior, beige interior.
    $29,275 including destination charge
    Purchased today at oldest Honda dealership, Manly Honda in Santa Rosa, California, 80 miles away from where I live. I started with Costco and AAA auto buying service. Costco program quoted $29,562, very competitive price. AAA program not only quoted much higher at $31,493, but also required buyer to go to dealership in order to see the offer. It was totally wasted of time in my case.

I emailed almost every Honda dealership in SF bay area using Costco's price as starting point. I used truecar.com to compare quotes. 2 dealers offered lower prices but they did not have my color of choice (dark cherry pearl). Thanks to Edmunds' inventory search feature, I was able to identify a EX with the color I want at Manly Honda in Santa Rosa. I emailed them for a quote. They offered me $29,324, $50 more than my lowest offer. I only took me one email to convince them to match my lowest offer at $29,275. It took us less 2 hours to complete every thing and drove our new Pilot off the dealer's lot.

The internet sales manager is very nice to work with, straightforward. He also quoted me all other Pilot models, they are all very attractive offers.

One surprise we had when we were there to pick up the Pilot is that there is an old little Honda car in show room marked as "the first Honda sold in USA". It turns out that Manly Honda is the first Honda dealership in continental U.S.
  • Options
    bulgokeebulgokee Member Posts: 36
    The price includes destination charge. Good deal?
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter wants to interview a recent carbuyer who considered new and used, and decided on new because the deal was better. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Nov 17, 2010 with your brief story and your daytime contact info.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    ggiaggia Member Posts: 1
    On Nov 15, 2011 in Bakersfield, CA, bought it for $31,089, which was $34,196 out the door. Honda company's Honda Care extended service plan for 8 years, 120K mi, was additional $1485 (zero deductible). That plan seemed better than others offered outside Honda. Not all Honda dealers sell Honda Care, but all must honor Honda Care sold by other Honda dealers. Plan dos not cover routine upkeep, eg, timing belts, brakes, wipers, but does cover regular oil changes up to $25. Other benefits. See http://www.curryhondacare.com/pilot.cfm
  • Options
    boston007boston007 Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2010
    You can do better if you are willing to travel to the Boston area, my research shows 33k or better including destination. on the 4wd model.
  • Options
    bulgokeebulgokee Member Posts: 36
    AT 33K or less, that's ~$1500 under invoice. Are there cash incentives in Boston that aren't available in Philly?
  • Options
    eggraid101eggraid101 Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 2011 Pilot EXL 4WD from Shockley HOnda in Frederick MD for $31,000 including all season floor mats, and the cargo tray in back. We were in contact with several dealerships in the northern VA area, as well as Shockley, and they were the first to offer us this deal. This did not include tax, title, destination, etc. They were very friendly, too!
  • Options
    In my research I have not found anything in the way of cash incentives. There is special financing but that was not a consideration.
  • Options
    sellmorehondassellmorehondas Member Posts: 62
    FYI! Not the only vehicle. NHTSA has revised their crash test rating system. Too many vehicles were getting 5 stars. They have toughened their standards. Until they complete buying and crashing the vehicles from retail inventories, it is too soon to count them out.

Check out www.safercar.gov. for the latest in safety ratings.
  • Options
    vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Yes - it is common knowledge now that NHTSA has revised the test. These changes were announced last year.

The 2011 Honda Accord got 5 stars under the new test. Why not the 2011 Pilot?
    Because the Pilot is NOT a priority for Honda. The Accord and Odyssey sales are higher and thus command more resources and attention inside Honda.

Clearly, Honda needs to make changes to the Pilot chassis. Else, the front passenger safety rating will be poor.
  • Options
    leo51leo51 Member Posts: 2
    at boch in Norwood Ma, I paid 31,400 for 2011 Pilot EXL, they also gave me 10,000 for 2006 Explorer with 110,000
  • Options
    leo51leo51 Member Posts: 2
    I got a similar deal, 31,400 for the 2011 EXL included destination charge, only taxes and title on top. Had choice of colors, and no haggle, that was their original offer.
  • Options
    lenkarmalenkarma Member Posts: 10
    Looking to buy Touring Metal/Gray AWD in NJ. Haven't negotiated yet, but got quote in northern NJ for $37,660, plus
    - $250 doc fee
    - $740 protection package (which I don't want)
    - $300 secure etch (which I don't want)
    - ~$2150 sales tax
    - $415 est registration fees
    Waiting for quotes from other dealers, but would love to know if anyone is aware of dealers offering most competitive offers in NJ or another location where I can arrange for transport (bought my last one in midwest and paid someone to drive it here). Thanks!
  • Options
    ekcekc Member Posts: 32
    Hi:
    Did you purchase a 2WD or 4WD?
    Thx.
    Eric
  • Options
    Hi,
    Was it a 4WD or 2WD?
  • Options
    Hi,

Are you still in the market? I can definitely tell you where to get the best price, wild guess until confirmed for your car would be 37 out of the door price, but then again I could be wrong. I am assuming 37 based on what I paid for EXL 4WD with RES (34K without any incentives).

Thanks,
    Julian
  • Options
    mikepsumikepsu Member Posts: 3
    Hi - I live in the northeast Pa area. I am interested in the 4WD EXL no Nav or RES or the touring model. Anyone in this area have any luck with a good price. I am basically getting a quote for about $33,000 for the EXL and about $37,500 basically they are taking off about $3,300 off the list prices. Several months back i was quoted $1,000 less these prices. At that time I was not financially ready now I am. These are from several dealers. I want to go in and haggle but want the bottom price ahead of time with haggle with. The above prices do not reflect taxes, titles, tags. But the destination cost is inclusive. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Hi:
    One dealer has told me that Honda mandates a $1200 dealer's ads fee on all cars. Is this a legitimate charge or some scheme to pad their profit?

BTW, I have gotten quotes for about $32.7k for a EXL 4WD no RES/Nav in the Texas area. Is that a good price?

Thx.
    Eric
  • Options
    Anyone in the northeast Pa received any quotes on the EXL 4WD or even the NJ area.
  • Options
    bck2bck2 Member Posts: 6
    I was quoted $600 below invoice in central NJ area. Haven't bought the car yet...might pull the trigger this weekend.
  • Options
    What was the final quoted price?
  • Options
    bck2bck2 Member Posts: 6
    35800 otd...Includes premium running board.
  • Options
    pokazapokaza Member Posts: 1
    What are people paying for 2011 EX 4WD model in NY, CT, NJ, PA areas? Looking for a dealership with best prices. Primarily interested in your OTD number paid.

Tnx
    Dennis
  • Options
    lenkarmalenkarma Member Posts: 10
    Nope. After 4 quotes on the car and the trade from different dealers, I settled on Mahwah Honda for the best deal, and had a good buying experience to boot. No silliness.
  • Options
    hi,

just curious, what price did you get. i believe mahwah honda was a little more on the quote than what i got it for.

Enjoy the car nonetheless, it's a great car.

Julian
  • Options
    kopikkopik Member Posts: 10
    includes Destination Charge and the following accessories; Cross bars, Running boards, Wheel locks, Door edge guards, and Cargo tray

Got quoted $39,088. Good price?
  • Options
    sunsparksunspark Member Posts: 1
    Sounds good. I got a quote 36900 + all expenses for Touring AWD in NY.
  • Options
    kopikkopik Member Posts: 10
    well, at the end I bought if for $38.3k
  • Options
    Atamian, ultimately offerred the lowest cash price of 31.2 including destination. Bock and Prime both came in at 31.4 although it was hard to get them to that point and turned me off to the large dealerships. Weymouth was very competitive at 31.4 as well. Herb Chambers was a joke started at 32.8, then went to 32.

Ultimately I went with Silko, 31,382 including delivery, Tax, Documentation and Title was extra. However this price did include wheel locks, 1st 2 years or 25k mile maitenance, worth about 320 and what they claim at least is a true lifetime extension of the manufacutures warranty on the engine and drive train, based on regulary schedule maitance upkeep performed by ANY honda dealer.
  • Options
    lease36or42lease36or42 Member Posts: 6
    Hi Everyone,

just looking for advice on the lease offers made to me.
    2011 EX-L 4WD

36 mth / 12,000 / negotiated sales price of $32,308
    $2,000 down
    $475 per month
    $20,733 residual
    money factor .00255

are these #'s correct for that payment, using Edmund's calculators, I receive a lower monthly payment...he did mention a $595 acquistion fee.

other option:
    42 mth / 12,000 / negotiated sales price of $32,308
    $2,000 down
    $438 month
    $20,006 residual
    money factor .00245

again, I receive different payment amounts when I run the calculators then what the dealer provides me.
    thanks
  • Options
    rpk113rpk113 Member Posts: 2
    Got an offer from my local Honda Dealer
    36/12k

price of the vehicle was $34,847 then $1000 "markup". All the numbers followed the december leasing standards. It ended up coming to $488 a month. I think they can go lower....
  • Options
    imdidiotimdidiot Member Posts: 8
    2011 Honda Pilot Touring 4WD + Running boards + Dark Wood + Mats + Mud flaps + Cargo liner - Chicagoland Area.

I have benefited greatly through the years from forums here and elsewhere so I thought I put in my resent “price & buying experience“. First, the numbers:

Purchased location: Brilliance Honda in Crystal Lake, IL.
    Color: Black with black interior
    MSRP $41,175.00 - 2011 Pilot Touring 4wd.
    Invoice $37,357.00 Edmunds’
    Negotiated price $36,457.00 including destination ($900 below invoice)
    Premium Running boards $524.00
    Dark wood interior $457.00
    Dark wood steering wheel $223.00
    Dealer’s prep package $200.00 (installed w/o asking them to for $499.00, to avoid removal they accepted $200.00. Includes genuine Honda All season mats all three rows, mud flaps, wheel locks, and cargo liner)
    Honda Care 8 year/ 120k miles/ $0 deductible for $1395.00
    4 year/ 48k miles maintenance at dealer $259.00
    7% Tax for McHenry Co., IL (6.25% IL state tax plus 0.75% County vehicle use tax) $2663.00
    Doc fee $150.00
    Opt ERT fee $25.00!!! It has to do with processing title… I did not fight it…
    License plates transfer (title lien + registration) $120.00
    1.9% Honda Financing for 60 months.

I had been looking for a while and decided to purchase at the end of the month in September. My target price based on your posts for the past year in the Chicago-land area was $1200.00 below Edmunds’ invoice price. I walked into McGrath Honda on Randall & I-90 in Elgin on Wed 9/29. That was a very big mistake and the sole reason for my screen name. Salespeople and management there were very “dry” and not very helpful; they practically invited me out. I will reviewed McGrath Honda separately. I waited a week and then visited Schaumburg Honda. The people at Schaumburg Honda were cordial and easy to get along with. I moved on because they did not have the right color combination.

I then decided to send out internet price requests right from Edmunds website with no major expectations. I emphasized that I wanted email contacts only. I received email responses and of course phone calls within ½ hr. Some responses gave limited details and asked to call them back for pricing!. Among those were Rosen Honda in Gurnee, McGrath Honda in Elgin(again). I received the best internet price details and best overall internet experience at Napleton Honda in Loves Park. Her quote was straight forward, no hidden extras, just a simple $36,485.00 internet price which clearly stated destination was included + TTL. She deserved the sale. The accessories, however, were overpriced by $600.00. In the end the accessories ruined the deal for me with Napleton Honda. McGrath City Honda in Chicago also replied with an interesting offer, but in very tiny prints was that additional destination charge!

I continued my search and decided to contact Brilliance Honda directly since they were not that far from home. They also have a good internet rep if you look up previous posts and reviews at other websites. I asked to speak with the internet manager who confirmed they had my color combination. By the time I arrived at the dealership the vehicle had a huge sold sign on it. I liked the dealership and the way I was treated there so a few days later I contacted the manager via email and asked for a price if I allowed him to find me the vehicle. He replied very quickly and honestly with an “all in price” of $37,811.00 with the options above. Some additional back and forth and we agreed on $37,661.00. On the day we signed the papers we offered to paid $200 for the dealer’s prep package they had installed and which was not part of the original negotiations rather than see them start removing stuff. The vehicle price I was shooting for was $1200 below invoice based on previous posts and reports in Illinois. I started hitting heavy resistance at ~$900. I did not want to push too hard for $300 so I moved to negotiate the price of the options on my terms.

I don’t recommend having a dealer locate a car for you. I have done it twice and both times the 2 to 3 days they promise turn into weeks. Having said that, I must say the wait was worth it. After almost three weeks the vehicle arrived at the dealership on 11/2/10. The wife and I signed the papers on 11/5/10. There were a few hiccups locating and installing the dark wood interior inlays. Apparently Honda has “temporarily” discontinued these accessories. In the end they were able to get the dark wood interior from another dealer, but the steering wheel dark wood trim could not be located anywhere in the USA!!! I did a lot of checking myself from New England to California and even Toronto, Canada with no luck. They did promise to install it if and when it becomes available. If anyone knows who has a new Honda dark wood steering wheel trim kit please let me know.

Lastly, We opted to get the 8year/ 120k/ 0 deduc extended service contract for $1395.00. This was a good price relative to what others are paying at the usual suspects (Hyannis Honda and Saccucci). The lowest price I saw reported was $1295 a few months ago. In addition, we purchased a 4yr/ 48 maintenance service from the dealer which at a minimum would include full synthetic oil changes every 5k miles, tire rotations, and car washes. Other than some fluid changes this vehicle does not need much for 100k miles. Vehicle tax is 7% where we live in Carpentersville, Kane Co., IL. Do note that Cook Co. and City of Chicago have additional taxes that you should consider if you are looking to buy there. Cook Co. user tax is mandatory so dealers at other counties use it to siphon business away from Cook county dealers. While it is true that as a Cook Co. resident you HAVE to pay this additional tax nothing says you can not include it as part of your negotiations. Those who live outside of Cook Co. can shop around for the lowest state tax rate because you pay tax where you BUY the vehicle and not where you live as many think. We bought in McHenry Co. where the tax rate is 7% just like in Kane Co. In loves Park(Winnebago/ Boone Counties) it would have been 6.25% and this is true for a number of other counties in Illinois. In the end for $120.00 we transferred the plates from our old 1990 Celica GT which we donated to help in cancer research. New tags would have been $195.00. So far with only 450 miles the vehicle drives fantastic in the ice and snow here in the Chicago suburbs. We are going to tack on 3000 miles in the next two weeks between the Poconos, Washington Heights(NY), Paramus(NJ), and Montreal, Canada. Hope this helps. Good Luck to all.
  • Options
    carsalesman2carsalesman2 Member Posts: 22
    Dealer made about $2700, give or take. Very fair deal for both parties.
  • Options
  • Options
    Hi carsalesman2,

interesting to know what the dealer may have may made in this deal. Can you expand on your reply. Is the $2700 a net profit you think or do you think it needs to be spread around for salaries, rent or taxes, maintenance, utilities, etc.? Is the $2700 you came up with based on the vehicle only or the vehicle and options? I thought I had a very fair deal as well, relative to others that have posted their deals. I don't expect a dealer to loose money on any deal, but what is the minimum % they would accept to get on a deal? What's your take on those reported "invoice" prices so easy to get and the "true" cost of a vehicle. Look forward to all comments. Thnx...
  • Options
    ayalakayayalakay Member Posts: 23
    Looking for a nice, decent person to lease with, and no shenanigans!