Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    dclivedclive Member Posts: 35
    For a 2WD LX no options, 24366 is Weymouth's pricing, so I'd keep trying to get to that price.

26841 for the 2WD EX.
  • Options
    I haven't, but it's simply a function of getting a shipping company on board and paying $600 or so for them to ship it.

Weymouth might quote $800-$1000 for same, but eliminate the middleman and save some $.
  • Options
    pdpat1pdpat1 Member Posts: 2
    That is a great price. I live in the Cincinnati area and am looking at a Honda Pilot 4WD touring as well. How did you get the price down to 35,476?
  • Options
    pdpat1pdpat1 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2011
    I am interested in buying a 2011 4WD Pilot Touring in the Cincinnati area. Has anyone purchased one recently. How much did you pay? What sales rep did you deal with? What approach did you take to get your price? Thanks
  • Options
    purple13purple13 Member Posts: 3
    Got a quote for 4wd EXL with RES for $32,300 + Destination Fee + TTL + Appearance Package ($500ish) and $389 process fee, in Northern Virginia

Thoughts? Supposed to go back tomorrow to seal the deal. Thanks edmundites!
  • Options
    gadudegadude Member Posts: 10
    Just bought Pilot EX-L 2WD for 32,200 (OTD with 7% tax). what do you all think about the deal ? Is it good or bad ?
  • Options
    rlbjr2rlbjr2 Member Posts: 91
    How can Weymouth sell $2,000 below invoice? Even with the holdback it is still almost $1,000 below their cost.
  • Options
    There are plenty of incentives that aren't figured into the "invoice" price. They're making $$$ still.
  • Options
    eco5papaeco5papa Member Posts: 1
    For a 2011 Touring 4WD paid $34101 plus TTL for out the door price of $35597 in Northern VA at Pohanka Honda. The dealership also installed crossbars on the roof rack.
  • Options
    rlbjr2rlbjr2 Member Posts: 91
    Edmunds doesn't list any current incentives going on now. I know they must be making some profit but that's over $1000 under invoice even after the holdback. Anyways, great for us buyers, I was just curious how they could go so low.
  • Options
    alextdadalextdad Member Posts: 4
    Getting ready to purchase 2011 Honda Pilot Ex-L 2wd with Navigation. (Liked the Touring-but thought it was over-priced) What price should I expect to pay? I would like to add running boards? How much should I pay for them? Add any other accessories? I am in Dallas Texas area.
  • Options
    civictorycivictory Member Posts: 73
    alextdad, I am also getting ready to purchase a 2011 Pilot EX-L (without Nav) in the Dallas area. Please let me know what kind of quotes you get, and I'll do the same for you.

If anyone else on this forum has made recent purchases in the Dallas area, please reply. Thanks!
  • Options
    I bought 2011 Pilot EX-L 2wd with Nav $ 34124.00 + TTL which I believe also included tinting, door edge guards, wheel locks, and rear cargo tray. I think I did pretty good. What do you think?
  • Options
    How does that compare to the posted Honda dealer's price?
  • Options
    jerseanjersean Member Posts: 6
    I purchased 4WD Touring with premium running board and remote start. Price was as advertised $35393.47 plus $1421.66 for accessories 1.9% for 60 months. I was considering the vehicle shipped to NYC at $300 quoted from one of transporters but decided to go and pick it up on saturday.
    Bus to Boston was $21.50 and subway to Braintree station was $2. Justin the salesperson picked me up at the station and the car was already ready when I arrived. No hidden cost, no surprises or sales of additional items which I worried since I need to take the car anyway.
    Sandra, the financial manager already completed paperwork for me including NYS registrations after searching internet. Driving back to NYC was not bad. less than 4 hours alone enjoying new car smell.
    Very good experience.
  • Options
    Alextdad, I'm too early on in the process to really be able to answer your question. If you negotiated at all on the dealer add-ons and/or the NAV option, your final price is a few hundred more than I would expect. However, I stress that I'm still early on in the process... still gathering the initial quotes from various dealerships. So don't put too much stock in my opinion at this point. Besides, if you feel like you got a good deal, then you got a good deal! Enjoy your new Pilot!

I suspect that my final price will be very much in line with yours, minus the NAV.

If you don't mind sharing, what dealership did you purchase from?

Were you able to negotiate on the dealer add-ons (tint, wheel locks, etc.), or did you pay the asking price?

Were you able to negotiate on the NAV option?

Thanks!
  • Options
    chrpaichrpai Member Posts: 32
    I just purchased a 2wd EX-L with no extras from Round Rock Honda. Here's the short version of the deal:

MSRP inc Dest $34,775
    Invoice inc Dest $31,575
    Edmunds suggested TMV $31912

After emailing the internet sales rep I was quoted $31225 + TTL ( $99 dealer doc fee). Meanwhile I had looked at KBB/Black/Edmunds for my trade in and they all pointed $10,500-$12,000. I had the car appraised at CarMax and they said $12,000.

So I do the test drive and get them to look at my trade in and RRH says $12,000 also. The negotiations begin and I end up getting the pilot down to $31025 and the trade in up to $12,500. Oh and as if my NavyFed 1.99 wasn't good enough they get me Honda Finance for 1.9.

So I ended up getting the Pilot for $549 under invoice ( $887 under Edmunds TMV... I really don't trust Edmunds TMV anymore ). I was told by the sales rep ( unconfirmed ) that there is a $750 dealer incentive right now that was allowing them to do that and still make $200 and the hold back. ( 2% on MSRP is $700 but they have had the car on the lot since November so who knows how much of that is left ).

I feel like I got a fair/good deal and the sales rep was real easy to work with.
  • Options
    I show $29,534 (includes destination) to be the fair price on WeymouthHonda.com, so it does look like you paid a significant premium. Assume you traded the old car into Carmax so the difference is narrowed by that $500, but still, you paid a premium.

We've posted it on here several times - everyone should read about weymouthhonda.com 's pricing prior to making a purchase and use that in their negotiating process.
  • Options
    Civictory, I didnot negotiate on the NAV or the accesories. They printed out, I think from,KBB, the true market value, which showed 33780.00. They said they had to charge me for the other items which were already installed on the car, that's how they came up with 34124.00. I realize it is not the cheapest, but I thought it was fair and reasonable.

I dealt with John Eagle Honda. Let me know if you would like additional information.
  • Options
    gobadgersgobadgers Member Posts: 1
    We are looking at purchasing a 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD. No nav, no dvd system. I have shopped around, and the best deal I have found is $31,200. With tax, plates, fees, and a couple of accessories (all-weather mats, wiring harness) the out the door price is just shy of 33,700. Does this seem like a good deal? Considering the MSRP is 36,375, I think it is pretty decent. Another dealer said it was approximately $1,400 under invoice, and he wasn't sure how they were doing that.

We are replacing our Subaru Legacy with the Pilot, and are a bit concerned about the gas mileage with gas hovering around $4. Is 16 city/22 hwy/18 combined pretty reasonable? I've never been all that impressed with the Subaru's 19 city/26 hwy/22 combined mpg for how small it is. I've read the mpg discussion on this board, and I'm surprised at how varied the results are. I would be happy with the 18 combined on the Pilot.

I would appreciate any input. We are going to make our decision in the next couple of weeks. We have driven the Highlander, Highlander Hybrid, Mazda CX-9, GMC Acadia, etc., and the Pilot has won out. Price has been the best of the above as well.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    How does that compare to Weymouth Honda, the dealer many on here use to benchmark pricing?
  • Options
    jcpotgjcpotg Member Posts: 2
    Planning on purchasing one tomorrow if all goes well. 2K under invoice so 33K out the door.
  • Options
    jcpotg, what city/state are you in?
  • Options
    jcpotgjcpotg Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2011
    This is in the MD/DC area. We actually were going to pick it up today but also test drove a Odyssey and decided to for that instead. Still, hard to pass up 2k under invoice...

Edit: I also contacted Weymouth Honda but they couldn't match the price.
  • Options
    bestdealsbestdeals Member Posts: 11
    I am looking for 2WD Touring in DFW area and planning to get it in a month or so. If there is anyone from this area who recently bought please share your price..

thanks.
  • Options
    Bestdeals, we purchased a Pilot last week after negotiating with most of the dealerships in the DFW metroplex. I'll try to post details for you later today.
  • Options
    alponjalponj Member Posts: 3
    Any recent buyers , prices paid OTD (TTL inclusive) ?
    Thank You.
  • Options
    We purchased last week from Huggins Honda: Pilot EX-L, 2WD, no NAV, no RES for $30,548 + TT&L. This price included the dealer “Protection Package.”

I contacted nine Honda dealers in the DFW metroplex via email. I initially compared only the vehicle price + destination. (I did not include the price for dealer add-ons or the “Protection Package.”) From lowest quote to highest, here is a list of the dealers I contacted:

1. Rusty Wallis
    2. Vandergriff
    3. Bankston
    4. David McDavid Irving
    5. Frank Kent
    6. Huggins
    7. John Eagle

Lute Riley quoted the wrong vehicle. (They quoted a 4WD Pilot. When I tried to clarify, they asked what color CRV I was interested in. Geez!)

David McDavid Frisco would not give me a quote. (I’m not kidding. We went back and forth a couple of times, but the salesman refused to give me a number via email. He wanted me to come in.)

I added the lowest price + destination quote with the lowest Protection Package quote to arrive at my offer. I then floated that number out there. Huggins was the only dealer that accepted my offer. Frank Kent was a few hundred over that price. Rusty Wallis was a few hundred over Frank Kent. Several dealerships told me I’d have to come in to negotiate any further. Two dealerships, to their credit, told me to take the Huggins deal because it was a money-loser and I wouldn’t find a better deal.

For what it’s worth, the following dealerships (in no particular order) were the most pleasant to deal with… straightforward responses with no unnecessary emails or phone calls:

1. Frank Kent
    2. Rusty Wallis
    3. Bankston
    4. Huggins
    5. John Eagle

As far as the claim that the deal was a “money-loser,” it well may have been… at least on the front end. Huggins was motivated to cut us a deal because we have a long service history with them. (We’re long-time Honda owners, and we currently own a Civic.) So “giving” us a Pilot isn’t really a money-losing deal for them; they’re just making their money on the other end.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your search!
  • Options
    thanks for the detailed reply. I am looking for a Touring and this would certainly help me in basing the price.

thanks.
  • Options
    hondaman150hondaman150 Member Posts: 1
    I have read a lot of threads on here about people doing research on the model they are looking for. Then they are comparing prices of what they paid or were quoted.

First let me say that I am a dealer and I am not here to sell anyone anything... I have plenty of customers. ( not that I would not mind another :-) I don't Know if anyone has been following the news or not but there was a major catastrophe in Japan. Many of the Hondas that you are asking about are made there. Others that are not made there have parts that come from there. Almost every airbag sensor for every vehicle that is made.... is made there. Those plants are not going to be up and running for months.... Long story short... There is going to be a major shortage of vehicles in the united states. And I am not just talking about Hondas, This is going to have a ripple effect on all the car industry.

So lets go back to that class on economics that I am sure that many of us are trying to forget right now. For years the car customer has had it pretty good. Supply has been high, there is no shortage of Dealers to choose from, so people have been writing thier own deals and sometimes getting cars for less then invoice. (anyone that says they got a car for 2-3k under invoice on a Pilot or Odyssey is Full of it. There is not a dealer incentive or kickback going to the dealer on those cars and no dealer is going to cut thier own throat, just because you are a nice guy or gal.

Now lets go to the other little part of economics and focus on what happens when supply is down and demand is up... Prices go up! So for those of you who purchased your car when supply was up... congratulations. For those of you who beat around the bush, played games trying to get dealers to cut each others throats, and missed the boat, this is where reality comes into play.

If you are able to negotiate a price with a dealer that is below MSRP.... that is right.... I said MSRP that dirty word... Feel like you are a victor! Dealers have been marking up cars due to the current situation and they have every right to do so. After all.... its a "Manufactures Suggested Retail Price" That means now because of Supply and demand, prices have gone up.

Now I am not writing this to anger anyone, I am sure that some will write me back and bash me for just being honest and saying what dealers have been thinking for years. But let me ask you this. Some of you are bankers, lawyers, CEOs, teachers, Fry cooks... whatever your walk of life or your job title, you get paid to do a Job. Our Job is to welcome you to a dealership, Show you our product, treat you like a valued customer, build value in the car you are looking at, Then be a salesperson and sell the car. Salespeople are on Commision. our comission is made from the invoice to the MSRP. That is how we make our money. We get paid a percentage of that money( a small percentage), which is why most salespeople are not driving the cars we sell. We are not getting rich off of you.

After pointing out what you all new already, let me ask you this. If you went to work and your boss paid you on your performance and after spending 5 hours with him or her and they said. .... "I dont feel like paying you for your services", how would you feel? That is the way we feel when a customer wants to negotiate below invoice. Now I am not saying that everyone needs to come in and just lay down and not negotiate. What I am saying is that, if a salesperson "earned your business".... I.E... They spent the time and showed you the product, went over the features, and acutally sold you the car. Please pay them for their services. Negotiate a "fair" price.

Last but not least, Please heed what I have said here and if you are in the market for a new Honda, get to the dealership and if you are lucky to find the vehicle that you want, in the color you want, with all the features you want, get it now! Good luck to all of you, enjoy your new Honda, and please drive safely!
  • Options
    Hondaman150, welcome to Edmunds! I see you chose the Pilot Buying Experiences forum for your first post… or at least your first post as “Hondaman150.” Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

I read your post several times to try to understand what point(s) you were trying to make. If I understand correctly, you seem to be suggesting at least two things:

(1) There is, or soon will be, a supply problem
    (2) The consumer should not purchase a vehicle below invoice because it hurts you, the salesman

My reaction to (1) is that my recent buying experience contradicts what you seem to be saying. I found that most dealerships in the Dallas area had precisely the vehicle I was looking for. Not only was the vehicle I sought readily available, but in many cases it had been sitting on the lot for quite some time. Second, the demand for Pilots (and other relatively low mpg vehicles) seems to be quite low at the moment due to gas prices… At least that’s what I’m hearing from various sources (car salesmen, media reports, automotive publications, etc.).

My reaction to (2) is: Are you serious? I buy cars the way I buy toothpaste: lowest price wins. If the dealership you work for is willing to sell cars at a price that makes zero dollars for you, that’s a problem between you and your dealership. Don’t ask me to negotiate UP for your benefit. Every single quote (vehicle + destination only) I received in the Dallas area was BELOW invoice. Why would I volunteer to pay more than what was quoted to me?

On a personal note, I understand where you are coming from. I’ve worked in sales (although not car sales). I can share stories of working literally months on deals that did not yield me a single cent. Granted, those instances were rare, as I hope they are for you… But it’s still frustrating.

Thanks again for your thoughts. You picked a great brand to sell! Good luck to you!
  • Options
    jeena409jeena409 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    To: "kennerdriver"

We're looking into buying a 2011 Pilot Touring. We are in the New Orleans area. What do you think a good target price would be?

Also, is it better to negotiate accessories into the deal, or just talk down the price?

Thank you.
  • Options
    hondaman129hondaman129 Member Posts: 1
    Civictory,

Thank you for not being too graffic in your opinion of what I wrote. I am sure there are some people out there that will get discounts for thier new Hondas. i was not infering that there were not going to be be discounts any more. What I was saying is that the statement I made about a shortage of Inventory is very real. You can do a search on almost any news website and they are all reporting it. Being a Honda Salesperson I get direct news from Honda about shortages. We have been told that what we have on the lot right now is what we will have until near the end of July. Then we will be getting what they are able to send us.

So all I was trying to say was that if you get a discount at all, be grateful. I cant speak for the other states out there but Virginia is lacking in Inventory already.

As for my own personal touting about the commision a salesperson gets paid. That was mearly frustration in a very crappy economy and a crazy car market. I am a silver level salesperson from the counsel of sales leadership that Honda has established. I recieved that recognition from great Customer Satisfaction Index scores which come from surveys Honda holds with my customers after the sale. I treat all of my customers with a red carpet service from the time they come in to the time they leave. (in a honda or not)

What upsets me the most is when a customer comes in that put me through the ringer for 5 hours, didn't Value my services as a great salesman, Made me look like a poor salesperson to the management, But then comes back to me later if they have an issue with the car or the service dept. and want me to be thier knight in shining armour.

I guess it was Hondas issue for putting so many dealerships so close to each other which causes the "blood in the water" effect... lol.

That being said Enjoy your Pilot. It is the Cadillac of Suvs and the best on the market.
  • Options
    dfwpilotsearchdfwpilotsearch Member Posts: 5
    civictory - Great posting...I'm looking for a Pilot in the DFW area as well. This will definitely help. What did the "Protection Packages" include - and did all of the dealerships have them. It seems like some dealers are better than others of not adding on their dealer costs- clear coats, window etching, etc. I'm surprised that Huggins was the cheapest if their original quote was 6th out of 7. Thanks again for your posting and help!
  • Options
    nayigadinayigadi Member Posts: 9
    bestdeals,

please keep us informed with ur search for the touring in the dfw area.

thx
  • Options
    enar5enar5 Member Posts: 5
    I am also looking for a touring. I shopped both in Austin ad Dallas, The best price I am getting on 2wd is around 34k at Mckinney and Huggins. Let me know may be 2 can leverage better.
  • Options
    Yes, I was pleasantly surprised that Huggins ended up offering the lowest price. That just goes to show that the initial quote isn’t always very meaningful.

As for the so-called “Protection Package,” every dealership is different. You just have to ask what is included and at what cost. I found that many dealerships would give me a list of items along with a package price. Some dealerships were very vague. The most common items were: window tint, color-matched door edge guards, splash guards, cargo tray, wheel locks, and pin stripes. (Some dealers add “lifetime warranty” to the tint and pin stripes, presumably to add perceived value to the package.) Some dealers had other things thrown in, like paint and/or fabric protection. It just depends on the dealer.

Something to be aware of… It’s been my experience that some dealerships will offer to sell you a car “off the truck.” In other words, they will sell you a car without the add-ons. The problem with that is that most dealerships immediately add these items as soon as they receive the vehicle. So a dealer may tell you the Pro Pack is optional; but when you go to the dealership, all of the vehicles already have the Pro Pack installed. Just something to watch for…
  • Options
    vidsinvidsin Member Posts: 2
    Just walked out tonight from Open Road Honda. Paid 39400 for the touring with premium side boards, all season mats and after market remote starter....how do you think this deal was?
  • Options
    vidsinvidsin Member Posts: 2
    Oh I paid PA state taxes...as I live in PA that is 6%
  • Options
    sure. I am very early into the search and have not started contacting all the dealers in metropex yet. will keep you posted here or PM you and please let me know if you work out any good deal as well.

thanks.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    Welcome to edmunds. There is another forum on the "Smart Shoppers" heading called "Stories from the Sales Frontlines" where we're desperate (& sympathetic) to hear what you have to say, the good (Had a family come in & pay full boat + extended warranty for an Odyssey Touring...), the bad (Lost a sale to a grinder on a Civic DX for $50...), & the ugly (This guy came into the dealership & shredded the tires on a brand new S2K...) stories you've amassed over the years. Please join us.

Thank-you for sharing your frustrations here with us. Where do you sell Hondas? You don't have to give your dealership name, just metro area or city/state if you'd like.

I'm honestly curious as to which parts are in short supply. You are saying air bag modules, I visited a Honda dealership last week & the salesman told me the computer chips for the NAV systems are in short supply.

Thanks for sharing & please keep posting.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Good morning everybody. I'm interested in buying a Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation (4WD). I live in Fairfield County, CT (10 miles from the NY border) & am interested in anybody's buying experience in NY or CT. Can anyone recommend a dealership in the area with an excellent service department?

I test drove the Pilot @ Honda of New Rochelle last week. I was pretty impressed with the ride. I'm interested in the Pilot for it's size, 4WD capabilities, cargo space, amount of LATCHes for child safety seats, and value.

I'm interested in the EX-L w/ NAV as opposed to the Touring because it is cheaper, I don't want the rear entertainment system, & like the wheels on the EX better.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    vandykuttyvandykutty Member Posts: 15
    I'm interested in buying a Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation (4WD). I live in EastHanover, NJ and am interested in anybody's buying experience and price in NJ or NY .
  • Options
    dfwpilotsearchdfwpilotsearch Member Posts: 5
    enar5 - are you still leaning towards a Pilot Touring...have you already pulled the trigger? I live in the metroplex and will be moving forward pretty quickly.
  • Options
    enar5enar5 Member Posts: 5
    Yes. I also looked at the Acura this weekend. What i sthe best OTD price you are getting.
  • Options
    Greenwich Honda in Greenwich, CT is locating a 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ NAV for me & is selling the truck to me for $35,577 + TTL. This comes out to $750 over invoice.

• Options
    juliankryejuliankrye Member Posts: 52
    Hi,

Not sure where the prices are right now but I bought the pilot 2011 exl 4-wd w/RES last June for 33800. I believe the same but with NAV was about the same. Route 23 Honda. Side note, 2012 pilot is around the corner.

Julian
  • Options
    That was last year. If I would've bought last month it would've been cheaper. There are major supplier problems stemming from the recent earthquake & tsunami in Japan.

• Options
    wallstreet1234wallstreet1234 Member Posts: 41
    What are they planning for the 2012 Pilot?
  • Options
    mkb74mkb74 Member Posts: 3
    how much do your monthly payments come out to ?
    thanks