Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Help! What should I get?

jared74088000jared74088000 Member Posts: 3
edited December 2014 in General
Hi, my name is Jared I'm 17 and know absolutely nothing about cars. I just totaled the car my dad bought for me so now i have to buy one myself. I don't want to ask my dad for help because he normally just buys the cheapest car he can find on craigslist. I'm looking for a reliable car that looks sporty, but not a sports car because I don't want to pay out the [non-permissible content removed] for insurance. I have a job and I will be saving for about 5 months (I turn 18 in april), and my mom is going to match whatever I have, so I can spend about $5000-$6000 (with my moms match). I also want to have work done on the car to make it look better. I need help. what should i get?

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like what you want is a Japanese coupe of some sort, that also is popular with aftermarket parts vendors.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Yea, something that's going to be reliable and not cost you too much to maintain as well. As far as pay out the you-know-what for insurance goes, the used, reliable, Japanese vehicle will help, but under 25 years old with a totaled car might just over-power that. :(
  • jared74088000jared74088000 Member Posts: 3
    My friend recommended an Acura RSX would this be a good pick?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,978

My friend recommended an Acura RSX would this be a good pick?

It could be .. when it comes to used cars, it's more about the previous owner than the car make and model itself.

In the $5-6K price range, find the best maintained car you can, regardless of who makes it.

Who is paying the insurance? I've learned that 4 door sedans are cheaper to insure than 2 door coupes for teenaged boys.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• jared74088000jared74088000 Member Posts: 3
    yeah i may be able to spend about 8000. I was thinking about getting a 4 door honda that is in the 2006-2008 range.