Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Help! What should I get?

jared74088000jared74088000 Posts: 3
edited December 2014 in General
Hi, my name is Jared I'm 17 and know absolutely nothing about cars. I just totaled the car my dad bought for me so now i have to buy one myself. I don't want to ask my dad for help because he normally just buys the cheapest car he can find on craigslist. I'm looking for a reliable car that looks sporty, but not a sports car because I don't want to pay out the [non-permissible content removed] for insurance. I have a job and I will be saving for about 5 months (I turn 18 in april), and my mom is going to match whatever I have, so I can spend about $5000-$6000 (with my moms match). I also want to have work done on the car to make it look better. I need help. what should i get?

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    Sounds like what you want is a Japanese coupe of some sort, that also is popular with aftermarket parts vendors.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 9,237
    Yea, something that's going to be reliable and not cost you too much to maintain as well. As far as pay out the you-know-what for insurance goes, the used, reliable, Japanese vehicle will help, but under 25 years old with a totaled car might just over-power that. :(

Edmunds Moderator

Silver 2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback & White 2019 Nissan Rogue S

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

• My friend recommended an Acura RSX would this be a good pick?
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 121,956

My friend recommended an Acura RSX would this be a good pick?

It could be .. when it comes to used cars, it's more about the previous owner than the car make and model itself.

In the $5-6K price range, find the best maintained car you can, regardless of who makes it.

Who is paying the insurance? I've learned that 4 door sedans are cheaper to insure than 2 door coupes for teenaged boys.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• yeah i may be able to spend about 8000. I was thinking about getting a 4 door honda that is in the 2006-2008 range.