Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955
    4735k new engine

?????
    Translation please!

Lesseee... that could be
    A. Car has 4.735 MILLION miles ... but has a new engine
    B. Has 4.735 MILLION miles on the "new engine"
    C. Someone spent $4735 on the engine
    D. Has 4735 miles on the new engine

I'm sure I could come up with more if I thought about it. If the answer is B, C, or D, then the question is: How many miles does the car have?

and the color is in pretty mint condition

Does that mean it is a Mint color? As in mint green? I gotta see pics of that!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ubuubu Member Posts: 1
    Leasing in VA sucks: Pay 3% sales tax on the entire value of the car, not just the lease portion. Then, annually, you have to pay personal prop tax: Pay 5% on the assessed value of the car minus $20k each year. E.g. if your car is worth $35,000, you pay 5% * $15,000 = $750 for the year.

Buying in VA is the same, but at least you get the whole car for which you are taxed.

I live in VA so I have to live with it. Perhaps it's better in IL.
  • Options
    zingdingzingding Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the info, however, I am not leasing. I bought a 2008 335i Convertible through the military overseas sales program. So, I would be exempt from the property tax as long as I am active duty. Thanks again.
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Illinois doesn't charge yearly property tax on a car ( how awful!) but you do pay tax on the who purchase price of the lease car.. There is an extra chicago sales tax, and a special car and lease tax in the city of chicago too, so you're shelling out more than 10% of the purchase price up front.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States#Illinois

I may wait to get the next car until i get that hideaway in wisconsin, and i can register it there. :)
  • Options
    wish4bimwish4bim Member Posts: 4
    Greetings,

I am about to purchase (in a week or so...) a new 2208 335i convertible some where in California. I am in the SF Bay but willing to go to the South if that would save a good chunk of $. Anyone has the current (June 2008) price for this car with similar options listed below? I hope the deal can be better than the one posted on Edmunds...

1) ZPP Premium Package
    2) ZSP Sport Package
    3) ZCW Cold Weather Package
    4) A52 Space Gray Metallic
    5) 205 Steptronic auto transmission
    6) 2XA Sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifts
    7) 322 Comfort Access with Comfort Loading...
    8) 507 PArk Distance Control
    9) Navigation System
    10) iPod & USB adapter.

I think the MSRP is around $58,675 and the invoice is around $54,005. I can be flexible with the color... Just want to shop for the best current going price...

Many thanks!
  • Options
    dinnudinnu Member Posts: 17
    I got a pretty good deal (I think) at Momentum on HWY 59 in Houston, TX for a car that was already on the ship. Here are the details:

Black Sapphire Metallic 335 Sedan
    Terra with Dark burl interior
    Premium package
    Auto Trans
    Sirius Satellite
    MSRP: $44,620
    Invoice: $41, 695 including Maco ($400) and Training ($180)
    Selling Price/Cap Cost: $40, 995.

Lease Details:
    Base MF + .00015 with $725 acquisition fees. I know I could have haggled a little bit more on the lease MF/acquisition fees, but decided to give in.

Note that these are pre June 1 prices as the car was already produced.

This deal was possible b'cos of the $1210 option credit for automatic transmission. I sent an email to all the dealers in Houston asking for a quote on a car with specific options. No one had the exact car I was looking for, but this was close. Advantage BMW in midtown also gave an offer of $500 over invoice (plus $1210 option credit) on any car in stock, but didn't have anything close to what I was looking for. The entire negotiation was done via emails (and took almost a week). My CA didn't even have my phone # until I went into place a deposit on the car.

I also got a quote for $700 over dealer cost for an ordered car from Momentum.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    Houston dealers are dealing...then you know something's wrong with the economy. I've been reading on these boards for years about how difficult it is to get anything more than a $1200 or so off MSRP standard deal from Houston dealers given the fact that I think 3 out of 4 of the dealers are by the same owners!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    vtn123vtn123 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone tell more about this options credit?

-How much?
    -Is it from the factory?
    -Does it apply to BMW 3 series coupe?
    -Is it on top of the negotiated price with the dealers?
    -When does it expire?

Thx!
  • Options
    dinnudinnu Member Posts: 17
    Option Credit for Automatic Transmission on 3 series

$1210
    It is from factory to the Dealer
    It applies to all 3 series (including manual transmission)
    It is some thing that you use in your negotiation with the dealer. Remember, this is a factory to dealer incentive, the dealer may or may not pass it on to you.
    It applies to any car in stock or ordered by 6/30.

For more details check the following thread.
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284240
  • Options
    alexwalex1alexwalex1 Member Posts: 33
    I agree that dealers are dealing now.

Just ordered 2008 335i sedan in CT with:

6 speed manual
    metallic paint
    premium package
    sport package
    cold weather package
    navigation
    ipod adapter

MSRP $48625

Got it for $44261 + tax, conveyance fee and new reg/plates which I felt was pretty good. Comes out to about $700 under invoice. Accounting for $1210 manufacturer to dealer insentive this leaves $500 profit in dealer's hands plus perhaps whatever they get for me financing thru BMW (by the way it is 3.9% for up to 60m, locked in as long as you order your car by June 30th)

Relatively uncomplicated transaction done by e-mail and in person putting two nearest dealers head to head competing for my business.

Hope this info helps everyone else looking for a new BMW
  • Options
    wish4bimwish4bim Member Posts: 4
    Much thanks to dinnu, alexwalex1 for sharing their numbers. I wasn't aware of the $1200 dealer incentive from BMW. I don't think Edmunds has that information either. I've been offered $500 under invoice, now I know why. I still haven't bought it yet--just a little too much over-stressed on my budget :)
  • Options
    whiskeyboywhiskeyboy Member Posts: 1
    Hi Thanks for sharing your details. I am looking in CT, Fairfield County to be exact, and wondering what dealers you used.
  • Options
    munumunu Member Posts: 7
    Hi
    I am in the market to buy my first BMW and my budget is around or below 30K. I was thinking about getting a certified car from BMW to save all the hassle afterward (bad exp with Audi).

I checked with some dealers and I am able to find some cars in my price range. I am not able to decide should I go for 2006 330i or 2007 328i. This is what I am getting

2007 328i 15K mike => 29.5K + tax (prem) CPO
    2006 330i 25k mile => 28K + tax (prem, xenon, prem sound) CPO

Can somebody please suggest me if this is a good price? Which option should I prefer. Both cars are 100K/6 yr warranty.

Thanks
  • Options
    abby9abby9 Member Posts: 2
    The price you listed for the 2007 328i is better than what I was quoted today. For a 2007 328i (with Steptronic auto transmission as the only listed option) and 10,000 miles, I was quoted $31,880 + tax.
  • Options
    Was it a Certified car?

Actually I was offered 30,500 for 328i but it was a list price and Sales guy told me that they can go down by 1000 if I am intested. Infact they have a really upgraded car with (prem, sports, hi-fi sound, xenon etc) and dealer was willing to give that for 32.5K (12K mile and certified).

I am still not sure about 330i or 328i. Do you know which should be the better option.
  • Options
    abby9abby9 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, it was a certified car. I think that the dealer may come down a little more, but I can't imagine him coming down another $2,000. MSRP is $35,445 and dealer retailer on Edmunds is $31,698. This was a loaner car at the dealership so it is clean and practically new.

I haven't looked at the 330 as a comparison. My impression was that it had a larger engine and I didn't go any further.
  • Options
    cshippcshipp Member Posts: 2
    Went to a Pittsburgh area dealer today looking at 335XI. They offered 2K less than the KBB on my trade, and wanted MSRP of @ 45K, no discount for a 335Xi minimal options. Salesman said that the discount was in the trade value. They did not have a color/option vehicle in stock that I was interested in - so I didnt try to negotiate. All in all this was a pretty disappointing experience. Going to try some other area dealers next week.
  • Options
    babydoctor77babydoctor77 Member Posts: 7
    Anyone else hear BMW Financing will drop its finance rate to 1.9% for up to 60 months on all new BMWs? 2nd Quarter sales must have hit a record low!!!
  • Options
    len89117len89117 Member Posts: 2
    wonder if I paid too much?

Alpine White/Beige interior
    Sport
    Premium
    Steptronic w/paddles
    Sat Radio

$47195 - Sticker
    $45250 - Negotiated price
    $48850 out the door (Florida tax - 6%, Tag- 250, Dealer fee - 599 (no avoiding it)

Not that thrilled in light on the $1200 incentive mentioned above (or the 1.9 finance if true - I am at the 3.9)
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    That could be possible, but generally there is no preannouncement of rate changes. If that happens, you will see it when it happens. It is a rumor that is being spread by just posting about it.

Next, someone will post about it somewhere else saying they heard rates are dropping to 1.9 because they saw it posted here.

I guess BMW is losing money if they have to add incentives to sell cars at the same time the dollar has low value and would net them less money in Germany even if there were no incentives. They must just want to keep volume and market share at any cost.
  • Options
    stephendstephend Member Posts: 19
    In NY, the only discount I found was on cars in stock not on any custom orders by 6/30. Plus, these are cars that were manufacturered before the price increase, so essentially I been finding that the savings is in the price increase. Has anybody been able to order a car with the discount?
  • Options
    r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    I saw several demo selling as CPO vehicles in a dealer. Does anyone know if I need to pay the same sales tax as new car sales tax because they were not really "owned" by anyone (I am in IL)?

I was a little bit worry about demos but the CPO made me feel better.

Thanks.
  • Options
    whittonmwhittonm Member Posts: 30
    Bought mine in late May, paid $45455 including everything except sales tax at VOB BMW in MD. Car is equipped with: auto, premium, extended leather, Ipod, Satellite radio, cold weather package. Love the car. :)
  • Options
    babydoctor77babydoctor77 Member Posts: 7
    I think the 1.9% makes a lot of sense.......look at the Chevy specials....6,000 off msrp and 0% for 72 months.

BMW will have to go lower to 0.9 maybe the month after....but at least for July enjoy the 1.9%!!!
  • Options
    Can I get a 2007 335i from a non-BMW dealer and then bring it over to a BMW dealer to certify the car (I probably need to pay them $2000+)? Does it all depend on the dealer?

I saw a very nice 335i form one place. The dealer charges the same model more than $5000.

Will all BMW dealers retrofit the oil cooler for the turbo now?

Thanks.
  • Options
    I am also planning what you are doing. Regarding warranty when I checked with BMW dealer they said you can get extended warranty (but no certified). But today when I called BMW directly I was told that BMW only offer extended warranty to original owner of the car. We can only buy third party warranties.

Do you mind sharing what kind of deal you are getting. I am getting 2007 335i with 13K miles with premium package for around 33K. Not sure if this is a good deal or not. What are you getting.
  • Options
    I haven't got the car yet. I saw some 2007 335i from Luxury Motor. Most are around $33K with Premium package and heated seats. I found one with 19" wheel (not even an available option), aero kit package, M badge on steering wheel for only $30K! It got to be a mistake. I checked the CarFax report and found it's a BMW Corporate car (with Manufacturer plate). I am looking for a stick so it is not good for me.
  • Options
    madhu2madhu2 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I will like to get contact information of your Eatontown salesman.
    Also, I will like to know the lease numbers.

How can I receive that information.

Thanks and Regards,
    Santosh
  • Options
    cuoinoncuoinon Member Posts: 18
    Hi R34,
    I'm looking for auto 335i, can you please tell what dealer is the one with aero kit from? thanks
  • Options
    shiftmakeshiftmake Member Posts: 12
    I think Infiniti offers 1.9 financing and saw Mercedes offering 1.9/72 on the 350. I wonder if BMW will succumb to pressure and roll it out too.
    Things are definitely not too good. In Atlanta the biggest dealership, Global Imports, is running a "sale" event - all 3-series sedans at invoice pricing. With the way the economy and gas prices are lately, I doubt this would make much of a difference and help them boost sales.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    July is just a few days away. The speculation can end then.
  • Options
    Could you share the name of the dealers in the Atlanta area that were willing to match?
    Thx
  • Options
    cshippcshipp Member Posts: 2
    Bought a 335xi on Saturday, MSRP 46250, paid right around invoice, which I think was 43000. Pittsburgh area(Monroeville) dealership. They gave me $2500 more for my trade that the dealership in the city. My trade was a Saab 9-3, little advice - dont EVER buy one.
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I never, ever would go near a Slaab. EVER!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    Amen! Had a '95 Saab Turbo Coupe (Blk/Tan) that was immaculate and I couldn't give it away in Atlanta when I was shopping for my 1st MB CLK. Had to sell it up north - and this was before GM got it's grubby hands on them. Told myself I would NEVER buy a car again that depreciated at that rate... also will never own a car that someone would not want to own as a used car, hence my current '03 530SP. Bought it new and may drive it until the wheels fall off... splendid ride!
  • Options
    I think the 19" wheels & Aero kit 335i is gone now. I found that one and other good 3-series from the Luxury Motors website (same domain name as the company name). That car was in the Chicago area. I think that company is still selling some good 3-series (there is a 2007 328i wagon selling for $26K).
  • Options
    I had 3 Saabs (2001 9-3 base, 2001 9-5 Aero, and a 2002 9-3 SE). They are not that bad. The 9-5 Aero is the best. I am still driving the 9-3SE. I drove the newer 9-3 and 9-5 but I still like the older Saab. Too bad. I think I probably trade in the Saab for a Bimmer.
  • Options
    If I buy a CPO loaner from the dealer, how long will the CPO warranty last? There is no original delivery date because nobody actually bought the vehicle.

Is there a package that I can buy to extend the "free" maintenance beyond the original 4-year warranty period?

Thanks.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    Even a loaner has an in-service date... That's when the warranty starts ticking..

You can buy an extension to the maintenance program to match the CPO limits... Figure around $1500..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    cuoinoncuoinon Member Posts: 18
    thanks r34
  • Options
    $1500? Is it worth? 3 oil changes, spark plugs, and a brake job?
  • Options
    It depends on how much you drive... Will you get close to 100K miles before the 6 years is up? Or, will you only drive about 70K?

Brake job? A brake job on my CR-V with new rotors is about $600.. Multiply that by at least 1.5 for a BMW..

Inspection II at 60K miles? Figure $600-$800 for that..

Oil service at 75K? $125, most likely..

Inspection I at 90K? Another $300..

If the car weren't CPO, I wouldn't buy the extended maintenance, as that would give you the option to go independent for your service... but, if your warranty is with the dealer, and you'll put 90K on the car, then I'd buy the maintenance pkg, as well..

It's a tough choice, though... $1500 is a lot.. I'm not sure I'm right.. just my opinion..

regards

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,367
    Brake job? A brake job on my CR-V with new rotors is about $600... Multiply that by at least 1.5 for a BMW...

True enough

.Inspection II at 60K miles? Figure $600-$800 for that...

Swope only charged $424(including $42 the M1 0W-40 I provided). That price also included a brake fluid flush and repairing curb rash on the LF wheel.

Oil service at 75K? $125, most likely...

It could be less than $100- and under $55 if you spend 0.5 hours doing it yourself.

Inspection I at 90K? Another $300...

It could be under $250, depending on the car. I still think I'd self-insure rather than fork over $1500.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    I have a few wheel rashes myself. Wasn't sure they can be repaired by BMW or independent. One is 3 inches long and the other about an inch, both on the rim edge.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Service costs vary a lot. If i go to the dealer in downtown chicago, i will be out over well over a grand for an inspection 2, and frankly, i don't think much of their service department. I brought in my car for a few small issues once and they found nothing but wanted to charge me for an unneeded radiator flush. I have had good experience with albuquerque BMW way back when, and with roanoke BMW--the latter seems to be a really great outfit.

So seeing as the service package is fixed price, it's probably a good deal if the dealer you will be using is expensive.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,367
    I have a few wheel rashes myself. Wasn't sure they can be repaired by BMW or independent. One is 3 inches long and the other about an inch, both on the rim edge.

I'm pretty sure that my dealer uses an outside contractor, but in any case the repair is completely undetectable.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Thanks for the feedback. My dealer should be able to handle it. They have Dentwizard repair which is completely undetectable as well without need for paint.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Anyone bought/buying a car this month? Looks like the 1.9% was just a wild rumor, haven't seen anything official yet. What about incentives, is the 1200 auto tran still around?
  • Options
    I just got an e-mail from BMWFS today... There is a pull ahead program for '05 and '06 lessees, where they will waive up to three payments... and special lease deals, as well as .9% and 1.9% financing...

Unfortunately, no details in the e-mail on which models and for how long the financing is good for... I'm sure it varies by model..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    alien503alien503 Member Posts: 6
    What exactly is a pull ahead program? Does it apply to old 2005 leases or new leases of 2005 models? What are those special lease deals?
    Thanks!