Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    south3south3 Member Posts: 4
    I would appreciate any thoughts on the following: I am looking at an A4 lease on the base model, w/ just heated seats, audi symphony, and one other minor option for $520/mo, with $2K down. BMW is $499/mo. with $1,400 down. Both leases are for 3 yr, 15K miles. The BMW lease is essentially maintenance free as it covers everything (oil changes, etc) except tire work, balancing, etc while the Audi does not cover regular maintenance. I have never owned either car and I know the maintenance can be expensive. I am curious about everyone's opinion if the maintenance free aspect of the BMW would be reason enough alone to consider the BMW, assuming you like both cars the same.

Thanks
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,499
    Both are great cars. Go for the one YOU like best and don't agonize over your choice. It's for 3 years, not forever.
  • Options
    nc_driver1nc_driver1 Member Posts: 56
    Hi everyone!
    Does anyone have any insight re. prices for a 2008, 328i w/Premium Pack. and Auto Transmission?

Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    socal59socal59 Member Posts: 82
    My lease is ending on my 2005 X5 in 3 weeks, so I'm thinking of purchasing a CPO (Certified Pre Owned) 3 or 5 series wagon. My question is as oppose to buying new and figuring how much below MSRP on the used CPO market is there much room to come down on the price? Meaning ,on say a $30K offer around $3K below their asking price? They will usually counter by saying well it's listed at Kelly Blue Book and that is the selling price. I know that if I was looking at a new 2008 at around $35K then I would offer around $3 to $4K off MSRP. Which would take me to around $1000 below invoice. Just trying to get an idea, seems harder to determine with CPO than when I leased new.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,763
    The problem is: There is no MSRP on CPO cars.

The dealer may list a car at $30K, but the next dealer down the road may have a comparable car listed at $27K. So, any hard and fast rule about how far they will discount the car is going to be impossible to use.

My local dealer was asking $29,900 for all of their '06 CPO X3s in September. Three weeks later, they dropped all of them to $25,900. Who would have guessed?

You just have to watch the market, and try to figure out what the car is worth, without regard to what they are asking for it. Shopping for used cars is hard, and looking for a relatively rare BMW wagon is going to make it harder.

I'd start by watching Autotrader or Cars.com classifieds to get a feel for asking prices. Then, if you find a car you want, bargain hard. I wouldn't worry about hurt feelings...lol.

You can post details of a car in Real-World Trade-In Values, to get an idea of the true wholesale value.. Then, probably add a good $4K-$5K on to that to get a CPO selling price.

Good luck!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    check out ebay motors -- you can look at listings and if you go to completed listings you can see what some actually sold for. Also you can see bid prices that didn't result in a sale.
  • Options
    socal59socal59 Member Posts: 82
    Thanks KYFDX and Jayrider for the tips any bit of info helps. Even though we are in a buyers market, I have found that some dealers don't even acknowledge it (can't blame them) and act as if cars are flying off the lot.
  • Options
    When I was looking for a car, I got the impression that they were sitting pretty with their inventory. They had me right where they wanted me. The place I bought wanted to sell cars and weren't cagy about it. Go figure. If you look at all the vehicles that have expired listings on ebay and didn't sell it makes you wonder. The dealers will not allow themselves to believe that the market has tanked. They have way too much money in these cars and are paralyzed. I think they expect things to turn around soon and the old days will be back. Unfortunately the wait may be measured in years not months. The housing market may be a harbinger. We have a 380k house in our neighborhood on the market for 250k and no one's buying.
  • Options
    trinityklmtrinityklm Member Posts: 3
    Here's the deal we got in the Twin Cities:

2009 328i xdrive sportwagon, premium package, with almost every option except adaptive cruise control.

MSRP: 51,620
    Invoice: 47,475
    Agreed upon price: 48,980
    Upfront charges: 3,190 (doc fee, acq fee, taxes at 6.5 %, 1st months payment)
    Customer cash: 5,500
    Residual: 58%
    36 months, 15,000mi/year
    MF: .00215 (Note: we're not previous owners, buy rate was .00200 which they agree to use but the sec. dep. was waived for a slightly higher MF rate.)
    Monthly payment: $649.05
    Plus two free key chains--not that we need them with comfort access, but it was a nice touch. :)

Hope this info is helpful to others as they negotiate. This forum was invaluable to us we tried to find the best deal we could.
  • Options
    packrfanpackrfan Member Posts: 50
    These are great suggestions for researching used car prices. I'll add that you shouildn't be limited to X miles so set the distance search parameter to "All" for this. Even if you won't travel more than some distance to buy (that distance depends on you) but you will get a better sense of what the broader regional or even US-wide market has available for sale and at what price.
    You might also find someone who has license to buy from auctions, and that you can trust, as a source of info and maybe access to more cars.
  • Options
    theki3600theki3600 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am considering buying a 328i 2007. Here is the scenerio:

$25,000 walkout for a CPO 2007 328i with sports/premium package with 15,000 miles with my trade in of a '99 Toyota RAV4 with 105,000 miles?
    thanks.
  • Options
    gnrajagopalgnrajagopal Member Posts: 4
    Am looking to buy a 2008 335 in the next couple of weeks. Wondering if anybody in the Bayarea is interested in a new bmw too. We could team up and gain a bit more leverage. Please PM me if interested.
  • Options
    peterismepeterisme Member Posts: 68
    328i in Monaco Blue

The car is equipped as follows:

Monaco Blue/Beige Leather
    Automatic Transmission
    Premium Pkg.
    Cold Weather Pkg.
    Xenon Headlights
    iPod Adpater

MSRP is $40,950

Dealer offered at $37,950 and 0.9% financing.

This is their first offer over email. Do you guys think I can negociate for a better price?

Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    gator5000egator5000e Member Posts: 90
    Looks like the BMW web site now has 2009 lease offers listed. Has anyone evaluated any of the 3 series coupe/convertible offers to see if they are reasonable (such as residual/MF, etc)? Thanks (and I didn't see a leasing forum section).
  • Options

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    chewy734chewy734 Member Posts: 37
    I was wondering if this is a good deal or not:

2006 330i sedan CPO with 39k miles
    Silver exterior, black interior
    Premium package
    Sport Package
    Heating package
    Sirius w/ 1 year subscription
    Snow tires (added on)

All for $28,590 + TTL and 3.9% financing for 60 months. If I can go lower on the price, what should I suggest? Thanks!
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,411
    I saw a similar car at Swope in Louisville, they wanted $23,900.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Interesting... It appears to be this car you are referring to:
    http://www.samswope.com/Preowned-Inventory.aspx?InventoryId=25681987

The color is pretty bad inside and out, but I wonder if I can leverage this price for the silver one I'm looking at locally? The one I listed above is actually $26,900, but the added costs are the Sirius install and the snow tires... still that's $3k more than this one.
  • Options
    The color is pretty bad inside and out, but I wonder if I can leverage this price for the silver one I'm looking at locally?

I actually like Barrique Red, as silver or black BMWs are a dime a dozen in the Louisville area. That car would be in my garage tonight if it wasn't a slushbox... :mad: As for winter tires, why not buy a set from Tire Rack? For that matter, you can get a winter tire/wheel package for around $1000. I'd swap them over myself and save even more money.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,985
    I'm with you RB. That red is very nice.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Excellent idea on the tire rack thing. I'll also call my local tire shop, who I've done business with for the past dozen or so years, and see what they have available.

By the way, I tried to leverage the price and now it's down to $25,900. What do you think?
  • Options
    By the way, I tried to leverage the price and now it's down to $25,900. What do you think?

I don't think that's a terrible price; still, I'd still hold out for 25K, but that's just me...

• Options
    mlismlis Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Any feedback regarding the following deal?

2009 335i xDrive
    Premium
    Nav
    Cold Package
    iPod
    Logic 7
    Automatic

MSRP - 50,350
    Sales - Price -

Purchase price $47,290
    Doc Fee $399
    Reg Fee $170
    Vin etch $189
    Tax 6% $2,837
    Total $50,885
    Down payment $5,000
    Trade-in value $1,500
    Interest rate 0.90%
    Length of loan (in months) 60

Payment - $756

Basically dealer is asking for $1000 above invoice

Thoughts?
  • Options
    golfnffgolfnff Member Posts: 7
    Hello, newbie to the forum (first post). Looking at possibly leasing a 328i and basically got quoted the current lease offers off of the bmw website. Also offered me a 2008 4dr Sdn 328i that is fully loaded with all options except navigation (premium, sport, xenon, etc....) Gave me a vehicle price of 41,845.00 and added 189.00 for floor mats and 495.00 for tint (both of which salesman said he could get rid of for me). He also took a 1945.00 preferred customer discount as I have purchased a 3 and a 5 series from this dealer before. This brings the selling price to 40,584.00 + sales tax estimate of 3176.22 and 28.25 for title and 399.50 for doc fee and this comes to a total of 44,187.97. He quoted me the following lease options on this vehicle for a 36month/ 10,000 mile lease----- 1,500 due at signing 569.00/mo-------2,500 due at signing 539.00/mo-------4,250 due at signing 487.00/mo. After all of these quotes he stated that knocking off for the tint and mats that he could do 4,000 due at signing and 471.00/mo including tax or 2,000 due at signing and 530/mo. Is this a fair deal, as I am new to this whole leasing experience? Thanks in advance for any help.
  • Options
    soupconsoupcon Member Posts: 25
    golfnff - where are you located?

glad to help walk you through this but can you tell me what the EXACT options on the car are? email me offline if you want... glad to help.
  • Options
    zman1974zman1974 Member Posts: 7
    I own an 02 Acura 3.2TL with 68,000 miles. I owe $13,800. The local BMW dealer has a an 07 328i with automatic and premium package (CPO, 8,000 miles) for $28,500.

The deal is $1,500 down, extend my payments out to 72 months, and increase my car payment from $505 to $574.

I want to get rid of the Acura because it's off extended warranty next month.

Good deal, or not?
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Stick with the Acura. The 3 series will be out of warranty quite soon and it's extremely expensive to keep running. That Acura will run forever.
  • Options
    jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    It's hard to evaluate this deal without knowing how much your dealer is giving you for the Acura.

Beyond that, I agree with blue's advice. I've owned Honda products way beyond warranty expiration without feeling any pain. And a good friend of mine drives a '92 Acura that she bought new & plans to keep until it turns 20.

It's not a good idea to roll negative equity into a new loan. You won't find any recognized authority on personal finance who'll go along with that. Keep your Acura until you've paid it off.
  • Options
    The dealer is giving me $9,000 for my car. So, I would be rolling around $4000+ in negative equity into the new loan.

Also, The BMW will be under almost three years of the standard warranty, which includes free maintenance, and 2 additonal years of the CPO warranty. It's the reason why I am even considering this deal.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Egad, you're down 13k now but you want to put yourself down even more? The Acura's taken its massive depreciation hit already. Hold onto it for another year. By then you'll be closer to right-side up on it and your local BMW dealer will be hurting even more.

Track how much you spend on maintenance over the next year. If it's more than about 1k you could probably make a case for getting a 2008 CPO'd 3 series in 09 and you'll get a much lower loan. If it's not 1k, try another year. Before you know it you may own that Acura and have no payments. Suddenly with no payments even spending 2k a year on maintenance seems cheap!
  • Options
    The advice you are getting about keeping your Acura is right on. Flying around the neighborhood in the BMW for three years vs your Acura does have it's appeal though. Pick your poisen.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your information. The dealer called me this morning, and came down another $1k which would put the payment at $550 (vs. $505). I guess, though, the concesus would be to pay off the Acura. Let me know if this altered your thinking in any way.

Thanks,

Jim
  • Options
    It is never a good idea to roll negative equity into another car loan.

• Options
    question one would be ---do you really like the bmw? Ok -- do you REALLY like the bmw?
    question two would be --- do you have budget /income concerns that make doing this deal a problem ?
    If answer one is yes and answer two is no then keep working the deal and get your new ride. If answer one is yes and answer two is yes then don't do it. Sit tight. If answer one is no then you know what not to do.
  • Options
    Question One: Yes, really Yes.
    Question Two: No, other than I will be resetting the payments from 3.5 to 6 years. However, I'll tell you this:

If I hadn't purchased an extended warranty at the time I purchased the Acura I would have been destroyed: Since mid 05 I have:

1. replaced the entire transmission
    2. replaced the entire climate control system

Both of these issues would have cost a great deal more than the extended warranty. So, I am a believer in warranties. Others are not. I have always made out, but I can see the point that your saving money without it, especially if your handy (I am not).

Jim
  • Options
    Have you given the car in question a thorough test drive? If not go do it with a cold detatched heart. Show no emotion other than courtesy and respect. Then go home and start negotiating. Just for kicks--- do you have an ebay account? If you do check out the listings nationwide for your car. Also check the completed listings to see what sold and what didn't.
  • Options
    Yes, and it blew my TL out of the water in everything except overall interior volume. The car is five years older, too, and that helps the BMW considerably, but the RWD, suspension, and refinement are all better. That is an objective comparison. The BMW is simply the better vehicle.
  • Options
    Is the price 28 k with only 8k miles? Seems pretty decent if that's the object of your desire. How far does the warranty go and does it include maintenence? If the dealer is calling to sweeten the deal he wants to sell. Tell him you can't make the deal now unless you get his absolute bottom line price. See if he moves then say it will take more for you to buy this week. You know ---" baby needs a new pair of shoes." That would probably work with even the most experienced salesmen in this market.
  • Options
    Here's the problem...

$28K + 4K neg.equity = $32K..

6 year loan.. In three years the warranty will be up and you'll have a 5 year old car that you still owe $18K on.. and will probably be worth $15K.. But, you'll want to trade, because your warranty is up... (any of this sound familiar?)

Getting long term loans on used cars is not a great way to go.. Plus, you have expensive taste (don't we all?).

If you've got the $4K in the bank, sell your car and payoff the loan.. Then, see what you can lease for $500/mo. for 36 months, if $500/mo. is your budget.. You'll be better off than constantly buying 2-yr-old luxury cars, and worrying about the warranty expiring..

Just my $0.02,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Because it's a CPO, the warranty will actually run about 5 years. The CPO warranty isn't as comprehensive as the regular warranty, but it's pretty darn good. Also, maintenance is included for the first 3 year-ish.

Your lease deal sounds great, and I might consider doing that if the deal falls through.

Jim
  • Options
    BTW, my Acura is in the shop right now. Going to run me about $300.00. Transmission was covered, though (will be the 3rd transmission that will need to be replaced). All this happened last night.
  • Options
    While you await repairs, go take a ride in an 09 nissan maxima with sport package. Just for fun ---- they are dealing big time and the size of the car is more in line with the 5 series.
  • Options
    wt1257wt1257 Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering an '06 330i CPO with 32k miles for around 28k with the following options -

Premium Pckg
    Sport Pckg
    Xenon
    Navi
    Heated Seats
    Logic7 sound
    Auto trans

Thoughts? This car had a single owner who leased it previously.
  • Options
    Well, I'm closing a deal on Friday for that '06 330i CPO vehicle. I got the price down to $25,500 and they threw in the Sirius satellite radio with 1 year subscription as well. I also got them to install a new winter tire/wheel package that I found on tirerack.com.

I hope I got a good deal, and I'm anxious to drive it home on Friday... my first Bimmer! :D

By the way, do any of you know a good place to get window tinting done in the Cleveland/NE Ohio area? Thanks.
  • Options
    Seems like a good deal. I'm getting the exact same car minus the Nav, but with Sirius and another 5k miles on it for $2500 less than yours.
  • Options
    I hope I got a good deal, and I'm anxious to drive it home on Friday... my first Bimmer!

Sounds like a great deal. Now you need to join the BMW Car Club; you'll get a great magazine as well as lots of advantages such as a $500-$1000 owner loyalty reward on your next new or CPO BMW purchase(after 12 months of CCA membership). Welcome!

• Options
    tennbergtennberg Member Posts: 45
    Hi there,

The lease on my 328xi is ending shortly and was offered a lease on a '08 135i at invoice but with a 56% residual and 0.003 money factor on a 36 month/10k a year lease. I'm a bit leery of the high money factor and low residual, so I was browsing the 3 series forum here to see what was available on the '09 3 series.

Does anyone know the current money factor/residual for 36 months/10k year on a 2009 335i sedan and 335i coupe? Thanks in advance.

---Tennberg
  • Options
    kirkinsdkirkinsd Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering this car:
    330ci convertible

The dealer let me walk at $28,400. I feel like they can go down a little more. They're pushing their teflon (wax job imho) and the Lojack as a couple grand. I have no choice on those they say.

330ci Convertible
    39,341 miles
    Performance Package
    Xenon Lights

Thoughts?
  • Options
    kirkinsdkirkinsd Member Posts: 2
    I should have said ths 2005 330ci convertible-

I'm considering this car:
    330ci convertible

The dealer let me walk at $28,400. I feel like they can go down a little more. They're pushing their teflon (wax job imho) and the Lojack as a couple grand. I have no choice on those they say.

2005 330ci Convertible
    39,341 miles
    Performance Package
    Xenon Lights

Thoughts?
  • Options
    KymberleeKymberlee Member Posts: 29
    Hi Car Man...this is the first time I'm posting to this site. I went to Lauderdale BMW in Pembroke Pines, Florida today and test drove a 2009 328i Sedan. Since I'm a female, I always feel like they are trying to take advantage of me. However, I did do some homework (thanks to your website) on the money factors and residuals before I went and he was impressed that I new at least that much.

The specs of the car were:
    Premium Package, Steptronic/Automatic Transmission, 17" wheels (style285), and Space Gray Metallic.

I'm looking at a 36 mo. lease with 12,000 miles. He did quote me the correct -.00150 MF and 62% residual so I was happy about that.

The salesperson told me that they only mark up the cars approx. 6%. The MSRP on this car was $39,950 according to him and he agreed to knock of $1,500, leaving me with a net cost of $38,450.

When I priced this car on Edmunds, the TMV price was $38,756 and the Invoice price was $36,320. Therefore, my offer of $38,450 was lower than the the TMV price, however, it appears that others are paying $2,436 over invoice? In this type of market, I thought anywhere from $500.00 to $1,000 was what someone would be shooting for over invoice. Please help me understand--I'm a little confused.

Also, I was wondering why on BMW's website there is a charge for the metallic paint, however according to Edmunds there is virtually no charge.

I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Kim