Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    rpettarpetta Member Posts: 2
    I want to buy a new BMW 3 series. I love the styling. Should I wait for the 2011 model year? Anyone know if the styling is expected to change? How about when the new model year will be available for purchase?
  • Options
    rpettarpetta Member Posts: 2
    I want to buy a 3 Series BMW--maybe 2010. I like the current styling. Anyone know when the 2011 3 Series will be introduced and available? How about current style design: when does BMW plan to change it? Should I wait?
  • Options
    tiffanystiffanys Member Posts: 7
    Hey guys,

I was offered;

2010 BMW 335i Sedan
    Color: Montego Blue Metallic with Black leather
    Options
    Premium Package
    Sport Package
    Sport steering wheel with paddle shifters
    Steptronic automatic transmission
    Park Distance Control
    iPod and USB adapter
    Navigation system

Retail Price: $51,150
    Internet Price: $48,100
    Less Spring Drive Credit: $2,500
    Final Price: $45,600

Is this reasonable? If not, what is a reasonable price that I should negotiate for?

Thanks,

Tiffany
  • Options
    xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    The only aspect to ordering a BMW that I wouldn't care for is the waiting if you're not already driving one! I, too, would only accept a manual when I got my '07 335xi, so I ordered one. The waiting was almost intolerable as I was driving a Toyota 4Runner. I tracked the new car every inch of the way from the moment they tightened the first nut & bolt to the time it arrived in New Jersey, after which point I just had to have confidence that they put in on a good truck and set the handbrake..

I am considering replacing it with the 2011 model year. Since I am already driving a 300 hp 300 lbs-ft vehicle, I can wait to get the car exactly the way I want it. As someone has already stated in this thread, for 50 large, I want my car equipped with everything I want and nothing I don't.

What I am waiting on is for BMW to get off their corporate duffs and put the '11 models on the web so I can configure one, and re-configure it, and change the color 17 times, and so on and so on.

Hellooooooo, BMW?
  • Options
    kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    It seems like you could do better. According to edmunds.com, invoice on the car is $47,080. So $47,080-$2,500=$44,580. So pretty much the dealer is getting 1k in profit. A dealer has told me whatever I get, it will be $300 over invoice. This still depends on the where you are located. How many dealers are in your area? If its only a couple then you may not have a choice. Or you may try another state if its not too far to get the better deal I would tell them $45k flat. They should take it.

Good Luck,
    Kenny
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Reconfiguring a 2011 17 times is fine. If you go to 18 times you've got ocd and need treatment so be careful -- very careful. :P
  • Options
    xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    Yeah, I hear you! If I get that far, I'll check myself in for rehab. On the plus side, once I do the re-config three times in a row and it comes out the same all three times, I will have arrived at the finish line. With any luck, that moment will coincide with the correct balance in the checking account to go ahead with the deal!

I have the question in to my dealer regarding when the 2011 web presence will appear. So far, no reply but I'll post if I get some reasonably firm news.
  • Options
    johnadams007johnadams007 Member Posts: 1
    Hi.
    I just walked out of the dealership for a 2008-328i. The car is only 22K miles, and the dealer's asking price is 24995. The car is having the warrenty till 2014. is it a good deal?

Dealership is openroad bmw in edison NJ.
  • Options
    maxbetamaxbeta Member Posts: 12
    "Hi.
    I just walked out of the dealership for a 2008-328i. The car is only 22K miles, and the dealer's asking price is 24995. The car is having the warrenty till 2014. is it a good deal? "

"Dealership is openroad bmw in edison NJ."

2008 for that price sounds great from where I am at. Today I am going to pick up my 2007 328i CPO with premium pkg, sport pkg, xenons, 44,000 miles, which was priced at $26,995 and I got them to $25,000 before TTL. BMW of Albany, Georgia.

What packages are on the 2008?
  • Options
    mabmanmabman Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    Glad I found this board and I'm hoping that someone can provide valuable advice. I'm interested in buying a 2007 BMW 335xi us car (even though I live in Canada ... I know about all the warranty/maintenance issues of cross-border). The person selling has absolutely babied the car and only reason he's selling is b/c he just took delivery of an M3 (which I've seen and verified - he's a BMW finatic). I had a mechanic check out the car and it passes with flying colours, its in mint shape and you can't even tell the interior has been used. The detailed specs are below.
    He's asking $36000 cdn which is about $35,300 usd. He showed me the original bill where he paid just less than $50k usd in 2007 as he did the germany pickup and saved 7%.
    Is $35,300 a good price for this vehicle with 24000 miles (40000 km) ?
    Thanks so much for any assistance.
    I'm pretty sure it has every available option for that year and comes with 3M clear bra and extra set of winter tires and rims.

-- detailed description --
    This is a mint condition, very low km, Steptronic 6-speed auto, BMW 335xi 2007.5 model year (after the 2007 refresh), loaded with options, sold by the original owner! The car is in like-new condition and has over a year of the original warranty left. Options and upgrades include:
    • All-wheel drive and dedicated set of winter tires for safety and performance year-round
    • Premium leather in expensive-looking saddle brown color
    • Sport package with 18” wheels with upgraded higher performance summer tires, factory-increased speed limiter, sport steering wheel and bolstered sport seats
    • Premium package with extra seat adjustments, lumbar support, dimming mirrors, garage door opener and more
    • Navigation system and iDrive (2007.5 updated version)
    • Park distance control (rear)
    • Cold weather package with heated seats, headlight washers and ski bag
    • Bluetooth phone integration
    • iPod integration, iPhone charger and USB flash drive support
    • Logic 7 upgraded sound system
    • Comfort access (keyless access)
    • Custom high-quality tint (legal in Ontario)
    • 3M “clear bra” hood and bumper paint protection
    • Dozens of luxury standard features this 335 model comes with, including active turning Xenon headlights, moonroof, folding rear seats, two sets of OEM floor mats and many more
    The car is like new – 100% garaged, not a daily-driver, no accidents, and never had a cheap wash – professionally detailed in summer and touchless-washed in winter. Spotless interior without any damage or visible wear. Both summer and winter tire sets are fresh and have over 2/3 of tread left. Completely trouble-free car – nothing ever broke or needed repair! One owner drove this car right from the factory gate (European Delivery from Munich) till this time, only to replace it with another BMW.
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    If you go online to bmwusa you can do a search for 07 335xi's with like miles. Prices are 29- 38k for full cpo vehicles. I believe bmw is also including full maintenance for a number of years. The cpo is worth at least 3-4k so figure you will be on your own on a nice car for over cpo prices. As long as you keep that in mind the decision is yours. I think his price is 5k too high for a private party sale but you might not.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    I think his price is 5k too high for a private party sale but you might not.

I agree, $35,000 usd is very high for a private sale.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    jayvisjayvis Member Posts: 76
    NADA clean trade-in value on that car is $30,000 usd. The owner should be happy to accept any reasonable offer over the trade-in value. $35K is definitely too high. $31K to $32K would be more in line.
  • Options
    zisince32zisince32 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I got a quote for basic 2010 328i (Space gray metallic plus automatic and leather), the price is $35950 - $5000 (potentail). What do you guys think?

Thanks,

John
  • Options
    raj27raj27 Member Posts: 6
    I have also received a similar quote as john, It seems dealers are doing 5000 of MSRP on 328i. Gurus please advice is this a good deal on 328i ?
  • Options
    mabmanmabman Member Posts: 2
    offered $5100 off msrp for 328xi everything but navigation and executive package
    offered $5400 off msrp for 328xi including navigation and executive package
  • Options
    merctobimmermerctobimmer Member Posts: 8
    I am getting the following on a 2011 BMW 335i. Please let me know if I am getting a good deal.

2011 BMW 335i Sedan (All invoice pricing). Le Mans Blue with Beige Leatherette.

Base: $37350
    Auto Transmission: $0 ($1305 Discounted by Dealer)
    M Sports Package: $3415
    Navigation: $1910
    BMW Assist with Bleutooth: $685
    Heated Front seats : $455
    Harmon Kardon : $795
    Le Mans Blue Paint: $500
    Destination Handling: $875
    Dealer Commision: 500$

Total $46485

Invoice is $47290 and MSRP is $51375. I am basically getting it $805 below invoice since the auto transmission is discounted.

Add 400$ MACO, 200$ Training and 725$ Acquisition plus all the government fees.

The MF on a lease right now is pretty bad at 0.220 with sec deposit but the guy swears that in April it's gotta come down. The car will touchdown in Cali only sometime in June. I can always cancel and get my deposit back if it doesnt.

What do you guys think?

Looking forward to driving my first Bimmer!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I finally brought the Jet Black BMW 328i with Automatic Transmission, Premium Package, Value Package, Heated Front Seat, comfort access key for 33500 + TTL. It is 3000 below invoice price shown on truecar, I guess got a good deal on the car. :blush:
  • Options
    wbb56wbb56 Member Posts: 45
    I need a little figuring out whether the deals below are reasonable, and if not, what I should offer.

My current lease (2007 335i) ends in 3 weeks-I've made my last payment so I can turn the car in at anytime. My mileage is currently 43,181 on 36k lease.

Offer 1:
    Purchase my car after certification for $33,500 which sounds high to me. They would then apply my $4800 security deposit to the total, financing the balance at 2.9%. I may or may not add extra cash (up to 8k) to reduce the payment.

Offer 2:
    Lease a new 335i that they have on the lot that just happens to be almost exactly what I want. It lacks Cold Weather, but does have heated seats and also includes Nav which I don't need. Otherwise it's perfect.

MSRP: 51,200
    Selling Price: 48,788.00
    Doc Fee: 399.00
    Acquisition Fee: 925.00

Customer Cash:$4800.00
    Rebates: $2500.00
    Amt. Applied Upfront: 795.67
    Total Cap Reduction: 6,504.33

Residual: 57% (12k lease)
    Residual Amt.: 29,184.00

Base monthly payment: $528.05
    Tax: $15.84

Total Payment: $543.89

What do you think? Good deals? Better to buy out or lease. I do love my car and would be fine with it for years to come.

Thanks very much in advance!
  • Options
    Great deal IMO. Definitely lease! 399$ doc fee is very high. I am paying 45$ doc fee. U sure that doesn't include title/ registration? Also the actual acquisition fee is 725$. Dealerships mark this up by 200$. So u can easily get that down. What is the 795 applied upfront?

Care to share what packages, interior exterior color etc?
  • Options
    Thanks very much for the reply. I'll talk to the dealer and get them to explain the doc fee. If it includes title/registration would it be reasonable? I'll also get a reduction in the acquisition fee. I don't know what that $795 applied up front means either... maybe a first payment.. lease + title/registration?

The Car:
    Jet Black/ Black leather interior w/dk. wood trim
    Premium
    Sport
    Navigation
    iPod
    Logic 7
    Xenons
    Comfort Access
    Heated Front Seats

So, with minor adjustments, a good deal, even with the $4800 cash?

Thanks again!
  • Options
    topperheadontopperheadon Member Posts: 13
    Hello everyone. I was looking for some input about a price I received on a 2010 328 xi coupe in New Jersey. It's Monaco Blue and is loaded: cold weather package, navigation system, heated steering wheel, park distance control, premium package, steptronic auto trans, online info services, satellite radio with 1-year subscription, steering teleservices, light burl walnut trim, voice activation, BMW teleservices and iPod and USB adapter. I was quoted $43,439 and the dealer is telling me he can't go a dollar lower. I think he can do better. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.
  • Options
    jet18jet18 Member Posts: 2
    Wow. That sounds like a great price to me. Just wonder what state you are in.

I am in Bay area and looking for one BMW 328i. I'd like to know a good price point before I go to negotiate with the dealers.
  • Options
    newcartx2010newcartx2010 Member Posts: 4
    I am being offered 32500 for new 2010 328i + premium package + heated front seats + steptronic auto transmission (alpine white). Is this a good price to buy?
  • Options
    jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    I think this is a fantastic price, about $6k off MSRP. Jump on it!
  • Options
    ob995ob995 Member Posts: 40
    edited March 2010
    Anyone looking to buy a new 3 series BMW should stay away from both Beverly Hills BMW or Santa Monica BMW.

I went with my GF today to look at cars at both dealers, big mistake, both dealers either think everyone is stupid or brain dead, we ended up leasing our car from Nick Alexander BMW, even tho all 3 dealers offered us the same sales price the money factor from the 3 dealers varied drastically as both Santa Monica BMW and Beverly Hills BMW thought they were entailed to market up the money factor by over 100% over what Edmonds.com claimed the money factor was supposed to be and Nick Alexander BMW only market up the money factor by 15% over what edmonds.com reported as official money factor.

So my advice for anyone shopping for a new car is not only negotiate the sale price but be careful on what the dealer is marketing up the money factor as well as they can market that up as much as they want, so they can give on 1 hand and take away that savings by jacking you on the financing.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I thought the 4800$ was being offered by the dealer as a cap reduction. You can definitely do much better than this on a 2010. A good IMO is 500$ over invoice. You should get the invoice price from the dealer and add 500$ as a dealer profit. See my post on the deal I am getting on a 2011.

Also why would you want to put money down on a lease? Say your car gets totaled 2 months into it. You lose that 4800$. If you didn't put that money down you just walk away since you are covered by GAP insurance. I would put no money down. Also watch out for doc fee, MACO, Training etc. This is where they include a lot of hidden fees.

Go To edmunds.com and price the car to get the invoice total and just offer 500$ over this. On a 2010 model this is a fair deal since they are trying to get rid of them.
  • Options
    Thanks very much for the good info! I didn't like the idea of $4800 down at all. If I was going to do that, then I'd buy my car.. looks like I might get them to take $28k or thereabouts.

I think somewhere around $47,500 is the right offer--and minus some of the "extra" fees they've thrown. Can't blame 'em for trying I guess--most people probably just sign on the dotted line!

Thanks again for your help.
  • Options
    No worries..All in the math :) Good Luck!
  • Options
    cuinozcuinoz Member Posts: 4
    Hi All:
    Quick question? Could anyone tell me if I should purchase the BMW extras and if they are really worth. I have to call the dealer back in the A.M. to let them know. Your input would be greatly appreciated
    Vehicle Service Agreement $2961.00
    Road Hazard Protection $1497.00
    Simonize Glass Coat $837.00
    Prepaid Maint. $2295.00
  • Options
    newcartx2010newcartx2010 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks. I plan to close tomorrow.
  • Options
    I am in Texas.

Check out the invoice price at edmunds.com and truecar.com with the options you are interested in. That will give you an idea about the price you need to negotiate on. I have got a quote of Invoice + 500 which I was able to negotiate down to invoice -500 -2500 Spring credit.

Best Luck
  • Options
    ssss328ssss328 Member Posts: 2
    I am in MA.

I am interested in a 328i xDrive with metallic paint, Premium package, Sport package, and xenon headlights. Invoice at $41775. With the $2500 credit taken into account, the quotes I received from different dealers are around $37000. I feel like that they can go a little bit lower to $36500 but not that much.

Is this a good price? Thank you very much for your inputs.
  • Options
    Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    Is $2,500 customer rebate not available for 2011 model?

Strange that the dealer would sell 2011 at below invoice??
  • Options
    djzhudjzhu Member Posts: 12
    That seems like a great deal. How did you get dealer to discount auto transmission? Where in Cal are you? I'd be interested in visiting this dealership. Great deal.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,418
    Vehicle Service Agreement $2961.00 .. NO
    Road Hazard Protection $1497.00 .. NO
    Simonize Glass Coat $837.00 ... NO
    Prepaid Maint. $2295.00 ... NO

$7600!!!

BMW has a comprehensive warranty and maintenance plan for the first 4 yrs or 50K miles.... so, the two most expensive items wouldn't even be useful until after that. I'm not sure I'd recommend Road Hazard protection at any price, but certainly not for $1500. I don't even know what Simonize Glass Coat is...but, I'm guessing it is $5 worth of stuff that they spray on your windshield.. I'd pass..

Plenty of dealers try to add on extras like this... Most are usually a bad investment, on average. In this case, their prices are so high, it makes me worry about how much you are paying for the car. ;)

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    seekingaudia4seekingaudia4 Member Posts: 66
    edited March 2010
    While I agree the auto tran discount is a good one, I am not so quick to call it a steal yet. It is possible all 2011 models will get free auto trans. Most other brands do not charge an extra for auto.

If you read the Edmunds pricing page for the 2011 328i, you can now get the 17" wheels for free, something all other brands offer on their base models but not on BMW, until now. I wonder if they will offer free auto on the 328i too for 2011, after all it will be the last model year before a facelift in 2012.
  • Options
    Most other brands do not charge an extra for auto.

I'd pay extra to get a stick over a slushbox; maybe BMW realizes that.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    cuinozcuinoz Member Posts: 4
    Road Hazard Protection $1497.00

The dealer said at the very least I should get the road hazard. That it cost $1000.00 to replace a run flat tires and rim. And that it would be a good investment living in New England (pot holes).
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    Don't go for it. You can buy tires off of tirerack.com & the wheels from a dealer online. The road hazzard insurance isn't worth it.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    No doubt, unfortunately most US drivers have forgotten what a stick is, so to them the added cost for an auto just do not make sense, most everyone expects the auto comes standard.
  • Options
    Tire protection was $600 when I paid in 2006 and I got a $500 wheel replacement out of it. Dealer told me it was cracked since one tire kept on losing a few psi after a day, I did not verify about the wheel. $1,500 is a rip off.
  • Options
    Audi A3 charges for auto transmission, but 335 took away Logic-7 as standard equip... and last year for the 6-speed auto transmission.
  • Options
    bmwincabmwinca Member Posts: 7
    Hi all,

I am considering purchasing a 2007 335i sedan configured as follows:

- Premium
    - Sport
    - Navigation
    - Logic 7 Sound

The car has 24,742 miles on it (I believe it was a single owner, lease return).

The dealer originally listed the car on its website for $35 K and just recently posted an "internet special" for $30 K. The KBB wholesale price is $25.5 K and the KBB CPO price is $33.5 K.

I have a few questions on considering whether to buy this car:

- I visited the dealer and test drove the car over the weekend. Overall it seemed to be ok and well maintained, but one issue popped with the radio - specifically the button that is used to mute the radio did work. The radio actually did not shut off even after the key was removed from the ignitition. Should I worry about this issue? I have been told that the electronics on BMW's can be finicky - I would not want to have any headaches down the road if this is a sign of broader issues.

- Regarding the price on the car, I am trying to figure out what would be fair. My thought is the wholesale price + $1.5 K for the CPO + ~$1 K profit for the dealer. This would add up to $28 K. Does this sound about right?

- BMW is offerring two options as an incentive on CPO cars: 1) extension of the no-cost maintenance covereage through 6 yrs / 100 K miles on the car; or 2) 0.9% financing. If I go with this car, I am leaning toward the maintenance option (I previously leased a 2007 328i and liked the simplicity of not having to worry about paying for maintenance). One question I have on this is whether the maintenance plan they are offerring on CPO cars is truly an extension of what they offer on new cars. A second question is how often BMW extends the timeframe on these types of incentives. Right now, they say it is valid through March 31, which does not give me much time to make a final decision. Any thoughts people have on this incentive would be quite helpful.

Given my concerns about the radio issue, I have also asked for the full maintenance/repair records on the car. Is there any additional information I should request or questions I should ask?

Thanks very much in advance!
  • Options
    I should be more specific, non-European cars often have standard auto, clearly those who seek European sport cars still have a lot of interest in stick, but the Euro manufactures need to attract non-European sport car buyers, the first thing they might ask is, you charge for auto?

Maybe if one orders a 335, should ask for a free auto and a free logic-7 too then?:-) That will certainly make the 335 more attractive. Am I correct that for 2011, only the 335 sedans will still have the twin turbo?
  • Options
    jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    I'd pay extra to get a stick over a slushbox; maybe BMW realizes that.

I am afraid that it may soon be the case. So few people buy stick nowadays, the cost of manual transmission has got to be higher than auto because of (lack of) economy of scale. Both Acura and Infiniti offer 6-speed manual only with top-of-line trims. The days of stick-shift as base model have mostly gone. :cry:
  • Options
    If I had to pay extra & wait for a stick shift w/ a clutch, I would.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    A manual transmission market here in the US as there are still manufacturers that offer true stick shifts w/ a clutch: Acura (tsx & tlshawd), Audi (a3,a4,s4,tt,r8), BMW (1,3,5,z4,x3), Honda (accord 4cyl & civic), Volkswagen (jetta, passat, golf, gti), Ford (fusion 4cyl, focus, mustang), Nissan (370z, Altima, versa), Infiniti (g37)... That's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,418
    edited March 2010
    1) I think you may be leaving too little profit for a CPO car.. A 3-year old car will require some re-conditioning, in addition to the CPO warranty cost... Most dealers would want a bigger profit on a used car in that price range, IMO... But, I haven't really checked your assumptions... Try checking the on-line car classified sites to see what asking prices are at other dealers.

2) Extended maintenance is the same exact plan that is offered for sale on any other BMW, CPO or not.

3) Radio? Not sure about the mute button, but I think most BMWs will continue to play the radio after the key is removed, until you open the door.

4) Service records: Since the dealership owns the car, they should have no trouble showing you the service records. Don't expect them to give you a copy, however. If they do let you see them, try to get a service advisor to go over them with you.. There will be codes to be deciphered. Look out for fuel pump issues.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I applaud Mazda for not offering a slushbox in the Mazdaspeed 3; anything that weeds out the posers is appreciated... :P