Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    $1785 off sticker, they are making money!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    hattorihanzohattorihanzo Member Posts: 2
    Hi friends. I am on the search for a 330cic. I tried AAA and they found a dealer who would sell one for $1,800 over invoice, and $230 for Dealer prep. Is this a good deal? Has anyone used Costco, AAA or Autoland via credit union to get a better deal? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    autocrazyautocrazy Member Posts: 16
    All,

I'm in the market for a 330CiC (Dallas-Fort Worth area):

Jet Black
    Natural Sand Leather Interior
    Premium Pkg
    Sport Pkg
    Steptronic
    Xenons

TMV is at $47,901. Invoice $44,015.

Three questions: (1) Is the cold weather pkg recommended in Texas?, and (2) Are there any Dealer incentives that I should be aware of going into the "dreaded" negotiations? (3) What is the typical discount when buying a convertible in December as opposed to the spring/summer timeframe?

Thanks y'all
    AutoCrazy
  • Options
    autocrazyautocrazy Member Posts: 16
    Can you please share with us the ED invoice prices on the 330CiC? I've seen the ED MSRP numbers on eurobuyer.com, but have been unable to find the ED invoice prices? I'm looking for a 330CiC with sport, premium, auto, and xenons.

Can you also advise which dealership? Am in the Dallas area.

Thanks autocrazy.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    I remember from the 3 series board a few years back that Dallas is a tough town to buy a BWM in (esp convertible). I can't recall which delaership is the best of the Dallas dealers. Good luck!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    I wouldn't bother with the entire cold weather package, but I would get heated seats.. It is really nice on cool evenings with the top down.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    The ED base MSRP is $3085 less than the U.S. MSRP.

The ED base invoice is $2965 less than the U.S. invoice.

All options have the same MSRP and invoice prices whether ED or U.S.

You can look up the U.S. MSRP and invoice price here on Edmunds.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    zeuszeus Member Posts: 4
    I been doing some research and found out USED 2003 330Ci costs are similar to USED 2004 give the same options and mileage... is there particular reason?
    And I noticed some of 2004 used 330Ci are cheaper than they should be.. reason? did the 2004 style fail to attract ppl? I personally like the air dam on 2003 better than 2004 coupe. But back lights are prettier in 2004.
    Right now, I found a 2004, silver 330Ci with premium & Sports pkgs, navigation, M3 wheels, tinted window, performance tires, and another set of all season tires, 12,000 miles for $36,500. what you guys think about the price? cheap? any of your thoughts are appreciated.
  • Options
    alibajalajaulaalibajalajaula Member Posts: 89
    Heated seats in Texas, hmmmm...three years ago John Roberts and others had scores of 325s and 330s with them..now, looks like they've vanished. It seems this is an option not offered nowadays on most cars coming this way (Houston or Dallas). I had to get a car from the east coast to get the heated seats, although I must say, they are really worth while.
  • Options
    sirdarbysirdarby Member Posts: 20
    If you are looking for used, check out autolink at www.autolinkusa.com. I have bought several used cars from them incl. my current 328ica and Lexus. Very pristine and selling close to invoice. Folks from all over the country deal there. I know they have an 03 silver coupe now. But it won't stay long based on their track record.
  • Options
    epz123epz123 Member Posts: 4
    Researching my first ever lease for a BMW 325i-330i. I’m hopefully trading a 2002 Toyoya Camry
    Edmunds TMV worth 12K now, bought used at 15K and I have roughly $6K left to pay.

How does a trade-in work with their promotion offer at $289/mo?
    How does that breakdown with what is due at signing? I’m assuming it lowers the upfront costs but is there any fees I should be aware of? In addition, is it worth getting the premium package to help with residual?
    Which is better, a 24 vs 36 mo lease with the projected new designs coming?
    At the end of the lease , better to continue to lease a new model or buy out ?

I would appreciate any guidance .
    Thanks in advance to this forum!
    Ejz
  • Options
    highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    and interested in the SULEV edition. Has any body heard of getting invoice on a regular 325i ?

I think it will be enough for us...so not going for the 330i....

Is it possible to get only invoice on it ?
     The dealer and auto maker still makes money due to the dealer holdback, and factory incentives to move the cars. I went to dealers and they had a whole lot full of these cars.....
  • Options
    There is no holdback on BMWs. I haven't heard of anyone getting invoice pricing on an '04 3-series.

Why are you so interested in the SULEV? I have heard dealers are more likely to deal on this model, as other dealers won't take them in a dealer trade. That said, $1000 over invoice seems to be about the best deals going right now.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    hi kyfdx..

I just heard the salesman say the SULEV gets the same hp and torque as the regular 325i, and it is cleaner emitting exhaust....so it appeals to me a bit more( since I also have a suburban that emits tons of smog....) Kinda want to b alance out my extra polluting suburban.

What do you think? Is it really the same hp ?
    they said it would be the same price.

I thought all cars had dealer holdbacks and incentives from factories (though incentives are variable and come and go ) ?
    Maybe I am wrong ....

What do you suggest I should get interms of features and what should I avoid, in your opinion ? I heard I should avoid the 325i from South Africa, but get the one from Germany. Is the made in France tranny that bad ? Is the harmon Kardon stereo really worth it if I am not a audiophile...and am happy with regular stereo ?

anyone ?

thanks kyfdx...for prev info.... :)
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    The HK sounds much better playing music, but if you mostly use the stereo to listen to talk radio, news, traffic and music set a very low volume, and very low treble and bass settings (just for mild background noise while you talk with passengers), you don't need it.
  • Options
    Holdback.. BMW doesn't have this.
    Incentives: No current incentives on 3-series, except for low money factors on leases.
    Other dealer incentives: Probably.. but nothing that is going to help you in negotiations.. unless you want to hear about the dealer's overhead.

I have a South African BMW. I bought it used, so that didn't really enter into my buying decision. It has been my experience in monitoring this and other forums, that there is no difference in build quality between S.A. and Germany. However, if you are ordering a car, it will take longer to arrive, if being made in S.A. If ordering, insist on a German production slot.

I am not an audiophile, but.. If you are happy with the stock stereo, then I wouldn't spend my $700 on the HK. I have the HK, and I think it is an improvement over stock, but then again, I didn't choose it specifically.

SULEV: Whether it is grounded in reality or not, the SULEV has a reputation for being under-powered, compared to the non-SULEV. I have no evidence that this is so, just talk.

Transmission: I believe your transmission source choice will be made according to what model you select. IOW, if you are getting a 325i Steptronic, then all the transmissions are the same design. There are some problems reported on a few cars with "slipping" on cold start, and the ultimate solution has been transmission replacement. Those that have had their transmissions replaced, have reported no further problems. Mine has had no transmission problems and now has approx. 14K miles.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    thanks to you and all others for their info...

I'm going to shop a little more tomorrow to see what is going happening...

I just went to one dealership...so I will go to some more...just to see...

the krispy kremes are on me... !! :-)

best regards also...

highender.
  • Options
    you can give the dealer's name, but not the salesperson.. Edit your post ASAP and get your e-mail address off.. or the spambots will get it... You can make your e-mail public in your preferences.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    cannon1cannon1 Member Posts: 5
    thanx for the ton of info posted, which really helped me settle for 3series compared to competition. The release date of next version of 3series still in limbo, i decided not to wait any longer. so I placed an order for 2004 325i 5spd with most of the options for < 2% over invoice (might get a better deal if the car is in the lot?). the experience was smooth and quick, let alone the hospitality (dont expect lexus type, which eventually comes form your pocket).

dealer name: Motor Werks of Barrington

thanx kyfdx...
  • Options
    dkmandkman Member Posts: 5
    Hi - getting an email offer & wondered if people would share their impressions...sounds pretty good to me.

325i, steel blue metallic
    auto
    premium
    park distance control
    rear fold-down seats
    alum columns trim

Price quoted is $3370 off MSRP of 34,470

Isn't this actually below invoice?
  • Options
    cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    Hey guys, check this out.

A local dealer was telling me his best price on a well-equipped '04 325i would be about $1500 under MSRP. Obviously, that doesn't impress me very much. So, my next step was to try carsdirect.com. For those who haven't tried it, it is basically an online car brokerage service, which I sometimes use as an additional "pricing" guide for new car purchases.

When I entered a local zip code (Phoenix, AZ) on carsdirect, they provided a price of about $1200 under MSRP. Hmmm, not so good. But when I tried it a second time, this time entering a zip code for the Los Angeles area, I was given a completely different story for the same 325i package. Carsdirect.com indicated there was a special factory to dealer incentive, and their listed purchase price was BELOW the factory invoice! For grins, I checked in again, this time with a San Diego zip code, and they provided me with the same purchase price.

Unfortunately, they don't provide any specific information regarding the incentive, such as the amount, or the expiration date. I cannot find any additional information regarding any BMW incentives on the 3-series, including here at Edmunds.

If carsdirect.com is correct regarding a regional incentive on the 325i for the southern California dealers, then I might purchase out of state, similarly to last year's purchase of my wife's RX330.
  • Options
    I've been told by one local dealer here in AZ there is now a $1200 incentive on 325's, good through June 30. That explains carsdirect's prices, and dkman's price quote. I'm still hoping to confirm this, especially from a dealer in southern California.

Does anyone know which dealers in southern California offer the best discounts??
  • Options
    kabbalahkabbalah Member Posts: 58
    Went looking today for a 330Ci in the Los Angeles area. I was quoted 1k off MSRP. The problem was the money factor on 36m/36k miles was .0025. Seemed pretty high to me after reading about the .0014 MF in the last month or so. Does anybody know if the rates went up so much? It's a difference of 3.36% to 6%. Almost double. The residual number was 60%. Any comments on the sequential Manual vs a fully automatic? On another note, the Z4 3.0 they offered me at 5k below sticker. You can e-mail me at lavut@yahoo.com. thanks
  • Options
    sjmurray3sjmurray3 Member Posts: 90
    Just put a deposit down to hold this out-of-state CPO car for several days. The car is CPO 25 MOS left on factory warranty. Options: PP, Manual, Metallic paint, leather, HK, heated Seats and Zenons. 36,000K Miles, clean car from the pictures. Negotiated a final selling price of $35246 OTD. Does this deal seem reasonable? Please comment.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    You may want to delete your message and re-post. Putting your email address in a post will get it picked up by the spam bots and your inbox will be covered in SPAM.
  • Options
    eagleeye3eagleeye3 Member Posts: 44
    Waiting for a 325I to arrive at the end of the month - locked in the April lease rates and almost $2K off MSRP. As I wait, starting to consider a 330i w/ less options. Today (May 10th) dealer will only go $1K to $1.2K off MSRP on a 330i for sell price, but will honor April lease terms - claims less stock, no incentive to go lower. Same story for the 330i w. perf. package. Does this seem reasonable? What are the incentives for the 330i in May? I thought I saw $1200 somewhere - does that mean they are really offering me a 330i to lease at MSRP because they get a 1200 kick back form the factory? Should I respond that $1200 off + another $1000 off is the reasonable lease sell price (its too late - he already knows I'm leasing). Any help would be much appreciated...
  • Options
    I may be wrong, but I doubt the dealer can take advantage of the April lease terms, and also take the incentives that became available in May.

It sounds like you got a good deal on the 325i. $2K off and the April lease terms were great.

Even if you get another $1K off the 330i, and get the April lease terms, you'll still have to give up a lot of options to come close on the lease price. Be careful that you don't negotiate away the good deal you already have.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    joenyjoeny Member Posts: 9
    I just purchased a 2004 330xi for $37,150- $995 UNDER invoice price. This weekend I found several of the large NY-metro dealers offering invoice or below invoice pricing due to a manufacturer-to-dealer incentive. The incentivized pricing expires on June 30 and you must take delivery before then. Factory orders will likely not arrive in time. Be sure to check out DiFeo in Tenafly, NJ and Raylle in Rosyln, NY-both have well-run internet departments and have no problem giving quotes via email.
  • Options
    joenyjoeny Member Posts: 9
    I just purchased a 2004 330xi for $37,150- $995 UNDER invoice price. This weekend I found several of the large NY-metro dealers offering invoice or below invoice pricing due to a manufacturer-to-dealer incentive. The incentivized pricing expires on June 30 and you must take delivery before then. Factory orders will likely not arrive in time. Be sure to check out DiFeo in Tenafly, NJ and Raylle in Rosyln, NY-both have well-run internet departments and have no problem giving quotes via email.
  • Options
    eagleeye3eagleeye3 Member Posts: 44
    Thanks for the solid advice. You're right, I believe I received a great deal on the 325i - $460 after tax for auto, sport, premium, leather, and xenon w/ nothing down execpt 1st pmt and registration (total OTD around $800). I can easily live without the leather, wood, and other creature comforts, but I definitely need the roof. I was thinking 330i with sport, roof, and xenons only (manual and leatherette the main trade off). I've driven the 330i on a test drive, but its hard to decide if the additional power, better wheels, and aero package is worth $50 - $70 more a month.
  • Options
    You'll love the 325i. It goes around turns just as fast as the 330i. And even though the premium package is on the high side, the OBC computer and rain sensing wipers are nice to have.

Also, with the 325i Sport package, you can rotate tires if you desire.. If you get the 330i Sport, the wheels are staggered. The new sport package wheels on the 325i (style 119?) are nearly as good looking as the M68s off the 330i.

$460/mo including tax for a $37K car. That is a steal.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    This incentive currently expires on June 30th. For those of us who will be ordering a car and taking delivery in July or August, what are the odds that BMW removes all incentives after June 30th?

Don't you think BMW will continue with some incentives on the '04 3-series during July and August? Or am I setting myself up for disappointment?
  • Options
    kingkkingk Member Posts: 8
    I am about to complete a deal with Carsdirect.com for 330xi at $1750 below invoice. They will call me this afternoon to confirm the deal. This is for San Francisco area.
    330xi with auto, premium, cold weather, xenon, metalic paint
    MSRP $44395
    Invoice $41007
    Paid $39257

The incentive must be more than $1200.
  • Options
    On the 330xi it is $2400.
    The 325i is $1200.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    drddodrddo Member Posts: 33
    I've been following this forum for a few months now, and the info. has been great! I finally sent out 6 e-mails today declaring my intent to buy a new 325xi in the next few months. Two dealers called me, in spite of me indicating that I prefer to be contacted via e-mail. One dealer told me that you have 2 months after the incentive expires to take delivery, as long as the car was ordered during the time the incentive is offered.

I'm looking at a 325xi with premium, auto, leather and cold weather package. My current Audi lease is running short on miles, so I'll likely be buying my new car and turning in the lease 1-2 months early.

I'm very flexible on color, and options as long as the cold weather package, auto and sunroof are there. I'm hoping that this will help with my dealing by being able to take something off of the lot. One dealer has 3 with the premium, etc as above, with MSRP of $37,845, and an invoice of $34,710. I'm hoping to negotiate at least a price of $35,000. Is this realistic? Too low, or could I do better? Any input would be appreciated.
  • Options
    "One dealer told me that you have 2 months after the incentive expires to take delivery, as long as the car was ordered during the time the incentive is offered."

That doesn't agree with the dealers I have talked to. All my dealers have been telling me that I would need to take delivery before the incentive expires!

Regarding your price, I think you should be able to get invoice, maybe slighly below, but it depends on your area. I know a local dealer that would probably want to charge $35.5K (after subtracting the $1200 incentive), while some dealers in areas of better competition would sell for under $34.5K.
  • Options
    hattorihanzohattorihanzo Member Posts: 2
    Dear friends, I plan on purchasing a new 330CIC in So Cal the last weekend of May. There are over 20 dealers in So CAL. I hope to get a better deal at the end of the month. Has anyone received a better deal at the end of the month?

Also, I would like the dealer to kick in the floor mats, car cover, and air deflector for free. Is that too much to ask for? Has anyone asked for extras in the purchase with positive results? Do the extras cost the dealer much money? My friends say no.

How much is DMV charges for a $50K car? How do you calculate the DMV charge?

I hope to be a proud 1st time owner of a BMW in June. Thanks for your responses in advance
  • Options
    robkigalirobkigali Member Posts: 2
    Looking for some feedback. If anyone has purchased a BMW through Diplomatic Sales, please let me know what kind of experience it was. I'm looking to buy a 2004 325Ci Convertible through Dip Sales. From what I have read and heard, the process is painless, you can order any option that you want (not forced to buy full packages) and the prices are close to $2000.00 - $3,000.00 under dealer invoices. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    It is possible that the incentive on the 325xi may be higher or lower than $1200. I have not yet heard if it varies across the 325 line-up.

If the incentive is indeed $1200, then you may be able to do a little better than your target, but probably not much. My guess is that your options list is pretty close to how most of the 325xi's on hand are equipped. If you are flexible on color, you shouldn't have much problem, although you may find that some of the cars have extra options that you had not planned for....such as xenons and HK stereo. It seems that you can usually make a better deal for a car that is on-hand.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thanks for the input. The more I read about the incentive, it seems to clearly state take delivery BEFORE June 30. I guess the dealer I spoke with is either not clear on the topic, or just wants me to order something without the incentive.

I live in the Detroit area, and I hear that dealing is very difficult since all of the local dealerships are owned by two brothers. I sent out E-mails across Ohio, Indiana and Illinois in hopes of either getting a better price from somewhere with more competition, or at least some numbers to bargain with with the boys back home. Does anyone know of any dealers in the above mentioned states I should be sure to get a hold of? Thanks!

-drddo
  • Options
    It is always less work to do it locally.. Sitting face to face, making an offer on a real car sitting on the lot, and ready to sign and drive that day.. usually gets the best results.

I think with the incentive, an offer at invoice for a car they have, might get it done. That is about $1200 over cost, which seems to be in the upper 25% of good deals.

I never mention invoice in negotiations.. You might mention that you know about the incentives.. Just know what the invoice is going in, and make your offer based on that.

Ohio dealerships:

Columbus: Kelly deals more than Midwest Auto Group in Dublin.

Dayton: Better prices at Voss than at FrankZ.

Cincinnati: You won't have much luck here.

Fort Wayne, IN:

Can't remember the dealership name, but my sister-in-law bought her '02 325xi here and got a near invoice deal.

Sorry, no experience on any of the dealers closer to you.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I have had a number of responses from my e-mail blitz, mostly from out of town dealers. A dealer in the Chicago area told me he will give me $3000 off of MSRP of any 325xi with the list of options I'm looking for. Sounds like a good deal, but there is a higher sales tax in the Chicago area, and it's about a 4 hour drive for me. A dealer in Indiana offered $36,545 for a car with a sticker of $38545, which as I figure is around %7 above their cost. I countered with $35,000, which is only 2.5% above their cost, so I'll wait to see what he has to say. The last dealer I talked to near Lansing, MI said he could go no lower than $35,645 over the phone on a car with an MSRP of $37,845. This is around 6.5% over their cost. He said we might be able to work something lower out if I go there in person with a deposit to put down. I told him thanks, but no thanks. I'm driving up to the local dealer in about an hour, since I haven't heard from them yet. I'm hoping for %2 above cost as a great deal and %5 as a max. Sound like I'm on the right track?
  • Options
    dogsambamdogsambam Member Posts: 69
    Just leased a new 325i on the lease deal of last month. Got major runaround from Fields in Northfield Illnois. Lowballed my trade-in, and was higher on the monthly payment on a car with less options. Went to Perillo, got a completely loaded car, and what I wanted for my trade, for about $40.00 amonth cheaper than a modestly equipped car from Fields. i have tried to deal with Fields in the past, and they just don't seem to ever care to lose a deal.
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    I think the dealers have to charge you sales tax based on the city you register the car in, not where the dealership is phyically located.
  • Options
    VERY good to know! The sales tax difference between here and Chicago has been adding up to around a $960 difference. If they charge me my local sales tax of 6%, the deals from Chicago seem much better. I've been in touch with 2 dealers, MotorWerks of Barrington and Bill Jacobs BMW of Naperville. Thanks for the info!

-drddo
  • Options
    Exactly correct... you will pay your local sales tax, wherever you buy.

I hear lots of good things about Motorwerks of Barrington. Not necessarily great prices though.. Perillo seems to be aggressive on pricing. I bought mine from a broker, who's office/lot are just a few minutes from Jacobs.. I drove right past them. I think that is where that broker gets his warranty work done.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    Check out the dealer up in Grand Blanc. Personally I would not buy a BMW from a dealership that combines BMW, Audi, and Toyota (!), but they did seem anxious to make a deal when I stopped by a few months ago.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help. I have e-mails out to both Perillo and the folks up in Grand Blanc, so we'll see what they have to say. I just got back from the local dealer, and his numbers weren't bad, but I think I can do better. He can get me a 325xi with premium, cold weather, auto and leather for $35,545. That comes in around 6% over his cost. I mentioned that a dealer in Chicago quoted me $34,900 for essentially the same car and he said, "yeah, they'll do that over there". I'm not sure how much more negotiating he's willing to do. One good thing is he mentioned a financing rate of 3.9% over 60 months, which is better than I hoped for. Hopefully as time passes he'll be more willing to drop another $500 or so.
    Another car we looked at had more than I need, but the kid in me really liked the sound of it. It is steel blue metallic, auto, sport, cold weather, sunroof, power seats, Harmon-Kardon, leather, and xenons. He again quoted me $2000 off MSRP with a price of $37,265. I would think about it a bit harder if he hit $36,000. All those bells and whistles would be nice, and the sport seats are great!
  • Options
    I think you are on the right track.. the incentive is indeed $1250 on the 325xi. You are right...you should be looking at around $3K off MSRP on those higher priced units.

And, of course.. steel blue is the best color (I might be biased). Just power seats on that last one? Or premium package?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Power seats only. The dealer said it was most likely ordered that way because the wood in the dash on the premium package is not "sporty enough". Though, I think you can still get a premium package with the brushed column trim.