Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    Validation granted!! Looks like a great deal. They have pretty nice lease incentives right now, if you are inclined to go that route.

That is a pretty good configuration for re-sale later.. auto, sunroof, power heated seats. No one will probably realize it doesn't have the premium package.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kohinahikohinahi Member Posts: 112
    Thanks for the prompt reply!

I get very tempted by leases, but I can't write off anything. Maybe when I start a business.

This is kinda' an emotional purchase....my wife has always wanted a Beamer, and since we do need a car, and since her birthday is around the corner, and since we're getting the car we want and a good deal - we thought why not? We bought a practical car (Honda Accord) last year and its time for a little fun.

I did read someone mention your Honda comment...have you owned a Honda?

kyfdx, Thanks a lot for your help! Also, Like you mentioned previously...you do need to get back to work...you're spending way too much time on this forum(ssss!) ;o)
    Their Loss, our Gain!!!!
  • Options
    Your situation sounds almost exactly like ours. Leased a '94 Acura Vigor and three Accords for my wife..'97, '99, and '01. I currently drive a Honda CRV and have a '92 Acura Legend that I bought from a relative. Counting two other Honda products I've owned, that makes eight of them all together. (not counting the lawnmower).

My wife was tired of Accords..didn't like the new body style.. Always wanted a bimmer, etc. Other than the cost, her 325i is just as practical as the Accord, though.. A little smaller, but plenty of size for our family of three. And, we think being smaller is a plus. Fun to drive and great looking also.

Ours is an '03. It was a factory official model, that I bought used in December with 7600 miles. Another coincidence.. I picked it up the day after my wife's birthday. No regrets so far. I think I like it even more than she does, but I only get about 40 miles per week behind the wheel.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    truenorth1681truenorth1681 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone had a bad experience with this dealership? I had a horrible experience. Was taken for a ride by the salesperson.
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    truenorth1681... You wrote, "Was taken for a ride by the salesperson."

You'll have to provide more details. My first thought was, isn't the salesperson just doing their job? Nothin' wrong with a good test drive or two.

Unfortunately, car buying is a buyer beware experience. Knowledge is power. Get everything in writing. Read over the fine print before signing anything. Don't let your emotions get the best of you. [A patient, careful buyer is the one thing dealers hate the most.]
  • Options
    We're in a dilemma! My wife and I have test-driven our final choices (BMW 325i and the SAAB Arc) three times (a different car each time!).

Each time she comes out liking the SAAB. She even (literally!) slept on it and says that though she likes the BMW very much, the only car she thinks about is the SAAB....it has left an impression on her.

I don't really want to dis' the SAAB. It is a nice car. But how can I "educate/inform" her on the BMW.

One point - It is going to be "her" car. I will probably get the same 40 miles a week kyfdx gets on his BMW.
    The question is not whether they will come if you build it....rather, will they [non-permissible content removed] about it for the next 5 years??! ;o)
  • Options
    If she really wants the Saab... well, you know.

1) Check out the Saab 9-3 board.. Go back to about May, when the lease deals weren't as good, and start looking at all the posts about problems with the cars. I know these boards are biased towards problems, but they seem excessive with Saabs.

2) Free maintenance.. Last I checked it was only for 3yr/36K, not the 4yr/50K on BMWs. This may have changed, though.

3) When its not covered..either repair or maintenance, Saabs are in Mercedes territory with service costs. BMW is expensive, but Saabs are outrageous.

4) My advice is never to own a Saab out of warranty. If you have to get it, I would suggest leasing it. Forget about tax implications from leasing.. Leasing the Saab will, in effect, lock in your trade-in value at the end of the lease. This will force you to sell it (turn it in) before the warranty expires, and will also keep you from being hit with the massive depreciation that Saabs experience.

5) If you don't mind unscheduled repair visits, you can live with the Saab.. If it is under warranty, and they give loaner cars. This doesn't bother some people. Personally, my wife freaks if she has to deal with any car repair or maintenance. That is why we stuck with Hondas for a long time.

6) If you do get the Saab, check with Car-Man in the Finance section for current incentives. Sometimes they are massive on Saabs. Also, if you are eligible for the GM supplier discount, you can buy it at invoice minus any incentives.

7) Even if you have never leased before, and oppose it on religious grounds, DON'T BUY the Saab. Please, please lease it. You won't be sorry about that. If you have to keep the car for five years, then don't get the Saab.

8) I can't say much to sway her away from the car from a performance or value standpoint. For 90% of people, they wouldn't be able to tell the difference, and the ARC version is faster than the 325i. It is also likely cheaper if optioned the same.

Good luck!!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    while I'm not going to start a Saab vs. BMW discussion. I will agree with you that the guy should lease the Saab if that's what his wife really wants. Saab depreciation can be equated to a bowling ball falling off the Empire State Building. So if the 9-3 is cheaper than the 325i, the additional cost of the 325i will become evident at trade-in (or sale) time. There are many who oppose BMW (not me, I love BMWs) for the same reasons you list. I can say that in the 3 years & 36,000 miles I had my '00 Saab 9-3 for it went in once for an unscheduled repair when I was swallowed up by a pot-holeand had to have the front right strut, control arm, and wheel replaced (plus an alignment). The dealer covered it under warranty. All I had to pay for was a new wheel $225.

But if you're going to buy...use your powers and convince her to get the BMW!:) Have you tried hypnotic suggestion?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    kydfx, thanks for the detailed info. I will definitely look into the lease. I have also asked my dealer-to-be about the 7yr/100,000 mile warranty.

The fact is that I am getting a comparably equipped SAAB Arc (OTD!) for $4,400 less than the BMW - 32.4 vs 28. I created some models (36 month and 60 month) taking into consideration upfront cost, average depreciation, etc. The cars at the above prices are very comparable....but even a $500 increase in the SAAB will make the BMW cheaper. To add to this - the BMW maintenance is all inclusive (brakes, etc.) vs. the SAAB's covered "scheduled" maintenance; and the BMW maintenance lasts a year longer.
    Economically, I am confident that the BMW makes more sense!

nyccarguy, thanks for the advice...are you seriously suggesting going for the BMW? I have a buddy in SFO, CA and he loves his used 2001 SAAB 900s. He got an extended warranty (7yr/100K) as part of the CPO program. He has had the car since 2002 and just raves about it? Let me know if you're serious about the BMW and if so, why??

Guys, thanks for all your help!
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    kohinahi... Guess the question you have to ask yourself is, What is more important, your human or automotive relationships? :)

Not sure there is any force that can overcome her inclination. Does she know GM owns Saab? Show her the upcoming 9-2 (Subaru-based AWDer) and 9-7 (Chevrolet-based SUV). Does she know the value of 50/50 RWD platform vs front-heavy FWDer? If driving them back-to-back doesn't do it, I'm not sure what will.
  • Options
    riez: your wife may be exceptional.. After researching cars for..ever. And spending 4 months shopping for my BMW.. A month after we got it, my wife asks me: "Now, do I have front-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive?" And I thought she was listening the whole time!!

Seriously, most people (read: women..no flames please) don't know the difference. I bet if kohinahi's wife has already driven both, then the handling argument won't get him anywhere.

Your best argument is to compare lease prices between the two cars. If they are similar, then you can show how with the lower depreciation of the BMW, it will be cheaper to own over the long term, especially with the better maintenance plan. Also, you can extend the BMW free maintenance (not the warranty) to 6yr/100K for about $1000.

Regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    dannyledannyle Member Posts: 43
    I located in boston, MA. I was about to buy a 325CI base with only a sunroof option. I was offer 1500 off MSRP. Is this a good deal ? Or you could think i do better ?

thanks in advance
  • Options
    Then the spread between MSRP and invoice is only $2680. $1500 off MSRP seems like a good deal. If that car is on the lot, they might come down a little more, as it might be hard to sell. But, thats a good price.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    vinayvinay Member Posts: 1
    i'm looking to buy a car. Any details/references of a good dealer in and around NJ will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    vinay
  • Options
    reellawreellaw Member Posts: 23
    Reellaw here--Now that Spring is kind of coming to NYC I am back in the car market on the 3-series. This is the debate. I have a 325 1994 automatic with only 37,000 miles. I love the BMW. I am thinking of buyingor leasing a 325 or 330. I mostly use the car around the City and weekend trips. The questions:

I am thinking of premium package, sunroof, leather, automatic, heated seats. Don't know whether I need the xi. If it's snowing it is rare that I will drive. Any thoughts of what to do? I know this is a broad request but I love the town hall and I know people are earnest about providing assistance. Also should I wait until the 2005's?

Thanks--

reellaw
  • Options
    alex0615alex0615 Member Posts: 13
    I am on a market for 2004 325xi. I am in the Washington DC metropolitan area. Can anyone recommend a dealer in the area?

Thanks.
  • Options
    If you rarely drive in the snow, don't get the xi... My sister-in-law lives in Fort Wayne.. She bought a 325xi, but won't drive it in bad weather.. She kept her '92 Camry and drives that on bad days.. Nuts.

Your option list looks fine. (By the way, sunroof comes with the premium package). Add metallic paint, and that is how 90% of the lot cars are equipped. You shouldn't even have to order, if that is what you want. The one thing I have, and really like, but isn't absolutely necessary, is the Xenon headlights.

Others will tell you that you have to have the sport package (and I have that, too), and it is well worth the $1400, but it isn't for everyone, and does complicate the tire and winter driving issue.

I'd tell you about the great lease deals right now, but with 37K on a '94 model, that obviously isn't for you. No reason to wait for the '05 models. Lease deals are great right now, but the buy deals will get better in late summer, but selection may get worse.

I guess your only real choice is between the 325 and the 330. It is a big money difference. $4k-$5K depending on options. You'll have to test drive for that one.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kohinahi: I'd advise on getting the BMW. Part of what I loved about the Saab is that it was leased and I only had it for 3 years. The Saab is a nice car, but the BMW is amazing:) The Maintenance package that comes with BMW is truly amazing as well. IT covers everything for the first 4 years or 50,000 miles!

I'd have a 3er coupe myself right now if it weren't for certain circumstances. When the lease was up on my Saab I was living in NYC and basically kept my car up at my parents' house in the suburbs. Since I wasn't driving the car every day, I didn't feel the need to keep a brand new BMW up at my parents' house to sit and rot in the driveway. I ended up finding a leftover 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH back in April 2002.

kyfdx: The story about your sister reminds me of my mother. She drove my Dad and I nuts about the fact that she had to have a car with either FWD or AWD (even though she'd been driving RWD Mercedes for 12 years prior with snow tires with no problems) to replace her 1998 CLK 320 because her new job involves driving up and down steep hills... She ended up leasing an Audi A6 3.0 Quattro (which she curses on a daily basis and truly despises), but what does she drive when it snows? My sister's '00 Jetta VR6!

Right now my above listed Prelude is wonderful (and at $0 per month, I can't beat the payments)! I'm probably going to keep it around for another couple of years and then replace it with probably an E90 325Ci (or 425Ci) or maybe an M2 via European Delivery. When the time comes to replace my Fiancee's 2000 Protege ES in about 2 years, we're going to look hard at the 325i (maybe via ED). My Dad just aquired his 1st BMW (an '04 E53 X5 3.0) and he absolutely loves it! BMWs are special cars! There's a lot of things about them that really excite me.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Thanks a lot guys! This (our!) discussion has really helped out. I think I just might turn her from the dark side!!

Two positive externalities of this decision process:
    1. My wife has to make this decision on her own. It has been extremely excruciating , but I have restrained myself from biasing her decision. I am just providing her with the information. This is HER car, and I want her to be happy. On the flip side, save groceries, I have a very strong influence in ALL (technology, non-technology – even linens!) purchases within the home. I am a very informed buyer and with me not there to exert my strong opinion – she too is in turmoil!!

2. I have new found respect for my wife – with us being from a very ostentatious society, I thought she would select a BMW or Merc with relative ease (even though she’s very level-headed!). I’m very proud of her for being above such pretensions!!

kyfdx, I was going over one of your previous posts, and realized that you had/have an Acura Legend. That was the ONE car (besides an Infiniti J30) I’ve always wanted!! Too bad they stopped making it……any idea, what replaced it? TL/CL? I am confident they lost significant brand loyalty when they discontinued the Legends, Vigors, etc.

Thanks again guys!
  • Options
    Technically, the RL replaced the Legend.. and the TL replaced the Vigor.. But, as cars keep getting bigger and those lines blur, the TL is actually closer in size to the old Legend. In fact, it is bigger.

The Legend was my aunt's car. It is a '92 and only has 36K miles. She passed away in '99, and I bought it from my uncle last year. The best part: I still get to keep it in his garage!!
    My wife also had a '94 Vigor. We leased it for three years. It was the last year for them, and they were basically leasing them with no finance charge. The MSRP was $29K and it only cost $311/mo for 3yr/45k lease.

I'm a big fan of Honda/Acura, but my wife wanted something a little nicer, and since she had leased three 4-cyl Accords, she was due for something nicer. It was almost a TSX, but I found a good deal on the Bimmer.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    bxs98bxs98 Member Posts: 10
    Hello All,

I am in middle of negotiation to deliver a 325i.
    Dealer's invoice added $306 MACO, $160 training service, and $235 pre delivery inspection. The MACO seems high but I understand. The training and pre delivery inspection charges are odd to me. Does anyone experience these charging? Are these fees negotiable?
    Your feedbacks are appreciated.

Ben
  • Options
    If you notice the invoice price + the training fee will equal edmunds.com invoice...so you're OK there.

Is the MACO $306 on the invoice? I had $250...in VA. Might be different region to region! Did pay this.

The $235 Pre-delivery inspection is definitely negotiable!! If they are charging you a processing fee in addition to the pre-delivery, ask for "atleast" one to be waived.

I did not have the pre-delivery inspection fee, but did have the processing fee ($225)......I asked for it to be waived...After much negotiation (actually it wasn't that much! I did everything over the phone) he reduced $190 from the price.

Best of Luck!
  • Options
    MACO fees vary by region.. The dealer pays them directly to BMWNA. They are right on the invoice, so nothing shady there. kohinahi is correct about training fees. The BMWNA invoice plus the $160 fee equals the invoice posted everywhere else. Pre-delivery inspection fee is bogus.. Gee, if you don't want it, will they not inspect the car? The final price is all that matters, but if you are working on a certain amount above invoice, then that last one is a garbage fee.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    bxs98bxs98 Member Posts: 10
    Thank guys, you are great helpers. I know what to do now.
  • Options
    jamjam Member Posts: 3
    Looking at the following 04 BMW 325 cic in Socal:
    silver
    Sequential Manual Gearbox
    Sport Package
    Premium Package
    Xenon Headlights
    Heated Front Seats
    MSRP $45,920

Selling Price $43,990
    36 month, 18,000 mile-per-year lease
    $1036.74 Total Drive off
    35 additional payments of $690.74, tax included
    No Security Deposit
    .0016 money factor

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    almost 2 grand off a CiC in SoCal? Sounds like a good deal to me.

• Options
    jumper4jumper4 Member Posts: 10
    Re Washington, D.C. metropolitan dealers, I just leased a 325xit at VOB in Rockville and it all went quickly and smoothly. Had very unpleasant experience at Tate in Annapolis. Heard some positive comments about Tischer in Silver Spring.
  • Options
    dan4dan4 Member Posts: 12
    I test drove a saab 04 arc vs 04 325xi and prefer the bmw. i wanted the saab until i drove the 325. i have owned two saabs and do not like the new 9-3's. need buying advice on 325xi. want premium pkge, auto, leather,cold weather & metallic paint. 36 month 15k lease......any advice in north jersey. getting a $485/month price .....
  • Options
    What else can you tell us about the lease? What are the MSRP, Invoice, and selling price (AKA capitalized cost) of the lease? You should be rolling the taxes into the lease and put nothing down (no cap cost reduction).

• Options
    yk40yk40 Member Posts: 19
    dan4-

I leased 2004 325xi with the options you metioned for 470/month in February (MSRP 37545 -old price , now it should be about $300 more). I paid $800 bank fee, taxes, first month payment,DMW fees and $500 refundable deposit upfront.If I remember correctly, the sale price is about $1000 over invoice.In one of my previous posts I had posted the exact sale price as it appears on my contract. My calculation shows that with the recent BMWFS' MF and residuals (MF=0.0125 and residual %60 - I am not sure if these are the still the correct numbers ), I would be paying about $435-440/month with the upfront payments that I mentioned above for the same vehicle. So I think you can do better..
  • Options
    Hi All,

I just found a car that I am interested in buying. It's 1995 325I converitble. It'a Automatic w/ premium package and leather. It has 34K on and sell for $14K. Is that price right or a bit high ?

thanks
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi dannyle - if I were you, I'd ask that question over in our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. That's where you'll find the experts on the value of used cars.

You also might want to look up our 3-Series coupe/convertible discussion - try using the search tools on the left side of the page to find all 3-Series related discussions.
  • Options
    thanks pat :)
  • Options
    dan4dan4 Member Posts: 12
    back to NYCCARGUY and YK40:
    I do not know how to answer your emails back directly but here is where i am and answering your question:
    The dealer is at 35959 for the 325 xi with cold weather, premium, auto, metallic paint & leather: 2149out of pocket including a 500 cap reduction to reduce pymt to 450( thats where i wanted to be) with typical security, 1st pymt, bank fee(525)mv. I am asking to price it with just the moon roof and power vs. the premium and just heated seats vs cold weather.
    To make it more difficult my wife asked me to look at the outback and get a quote on a 325 xi wagon. Any thoughts? thank you very much.
  • Options
    truenorth1681truenorth1681 Member Posts: 4
    It is really more expensive to buy a CPO BMW compared to a USED BMW?

I know for a fact that they extend the warranty of CPO for another 2 years.
  • Options
    scottlpscottlp Member Posts: 21
    I'm about to buy a 2004 330xi silver-gray automatic with premium, cold weather and sports packages, as well as xenon lights. The negotiated* price was "$1000 over invoice" or $43025. My question is when I look at the invoice, aside from the options and destination charges, what other charges do I have to pay, and what charges might they try to tack on that do not belong?

Thanks.

*I bought this and my prior two cars through the same internet discounter.

Scott
  • Options
    First, pull the invoice price from here or one of the other sites..

The invoice price that BMW has will be $160 lower, but then will have a $160 training fee, so they should match.

Depending on your area, there may also be a MACO advertising fee. This will vary by area, but usually runs between $200-$400.

Floor mats are not included, so your dealer may attempt to charge for these.. I've seen anywhere from $90-$129.

That is just about it.. Many dealers will try to add a document fee for processing.. I usually complain if it is over $50. If it is less than that, its not usually worth it.

There really should be no other charges other than tax, title and registration.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    roberth4roberth4 Member Posts: 4
    I was about ready to order the 330xi. I live in the NYC metro area (Long Island) and read with interest the recommendation for going with the 330i. I also usually will not drive in the snow. However, my daughter has a front drive passat and thought if bad weather (snow or rain for that matter) she may need the all wheel. Two questions: how different is the all wheel in rain (does it help?) and do think it would be worth the extra cost in this case. One more question please. Is there a big difference in how the cars drive when compared to each other? Thanks. You may help me decide.
    Bob
  • Options
    gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    In the rain, AWD makes the most difference when accelerating since there is limited traction, but AWD can put more power to the ground since it is using traction on all 4 wheels. In my Audi A4 Quattro, I've had fun when someone in a FWD or RWD car tries to ace me out at a stoplight. I can pretty much just nail it and the car really scoots out, while the other car is either spinning its wheels or accelerating slowly due to traction control kicking in.
  • Options
    mdwnbmdwnb Member Posts: 8
    Hi everyone, I'm new on the board. Sorry for the length. I was wondering if all BMW dealers are sneaky or just the ones in Miami. Has anyone ever been shown the screen and program used to calculate leases? Buyer BEWARE. Well, I saw it and asked them to break down everything because the numbers did not jive once we calculated payments using the 63% residual and .00125 MF. We figured out there were hidden fees. There is a dealer fee of $299 and a so called Bank fee of $799. I am a little confused about that so called bank fee because on the BMW site the deals says:

$289*/month for 24 months

Equipped With:
    5-speed STEPTRONIC automatic transmission
    Power glass moonroof
    3-stage heated front seats

Vehicles registered outside of N.Y.
    $289 First month’s payment
    $2,500 Down payment
    $300 Security Deposit
    $3,089 Cash due at signing

Vehicles registered in N.Y.
    $289 First Month’s Payment
    $1,975 Down Payment
    $800 Acquisition Fee
    $289 Security Deposit
    $3,353 Cash due at signing

Full Maintenance standard on all new BMWs.
    *Lease financing available on 2004 BMW 325i vehicles, registered outside of NY, only at participating BMW centers on leases assigned to BMW Financial Services NA, LLC/Financial Services Vehicle Trust through April 30, 2004. Monthly lease payments of $289.00 for 24 months based on MSRP of $31,620.00 (includes automatic, moonroof and heated seats). (Total lease payments including acquisition fee is $6,936.00).

The option of paying these fees was never discussed nor offered to pay up front. In essence, those two fees increase the price of the car and therefore they even make profit on interest drawn on those fees. Has anyone been able to negotiate those fees? They claim they can't do anything about it. Just venting. I really like the car but my husband doesn't feel like paying a premium over MSRP. Any suggestions? April lease programs are not looking as good.
  • Options
    All lease deals have an acquisition fee.. You either pay it up front, or they can roll it into the capitalized cost. The base BMWFS acquistion fee in Florida is $525. It is higher in NY. Dealers are allowed to mark it up $200, resulting in a fee of $725. The first lease deal you quoted from the advertisement has the acquisition fee rolled into the monthly payment.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Hi kyfdx,
    Thanks for responding. Makes sense..pay now or later. One thing though,if acquisition fee is included in that quoted lease deal then it should not be included again in the cap cost? I just feel as if I'm being taken for a ride at those BMW dealers. No pun intended. People here in Miami basically have waiting lists and everyone just pays premiums on the cars. It's like take what we have or leave it! The new 6 is out and they're charging up to 20K over MSRP. And people are waiting in line. Nice cars but where do you draw the line on allowing these dealers to get out of hand? Anyway, I have leased 4 cars so far and each time I have learned a little more as I go. It is rough out there. If you don't do your homework, you'll be eaten for lunch. I already have a primary car w/ 15K per year for the next 3 years. We need a second car for no more than 12K miles per year. This would be a sheer luxury. Right now we're torn. Refinancing a house to build a pool so every $25.00 increment in payment can make a difference. Nevertheless, if I had my way, my dream car is the 745. Till then...when I have a household with so much disposable income...I will keep drooling.

Regards,
    mdwnb
  • Options
    If it is in the cap cost, then you are paying for it in the monthly payment.. If it is listed as a due at signing fee, then it shouldn't be in the cap cost.

If you find a car you like, come back here with the model and the MSRP. Someone here should be able to give you an idea of a fair lease price per month and what the upfront fees should be.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Sounds good to me. Thanks for your help.

Regards,
    mdwnb
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    great answers mdwnb. kyfdx - you can also check in our Leasing Questions discussion in the Smart Shopper message board.
  • Options
    ashleyandersinashleyandersin Member Posts: 34
    Go to the leasing questions board and ask Car_Man about the leases. He is an expert and has saved me an endless amount of headache. I can't beleive you have to pay MSRP in Miami- I would consider buying the car out of state and taking a drive if you have the time. The internet makes buying easy and I always deal with internet sales to get the best deal. I get prices even better than Carsdirect has them.

Here in SoCal, you can ALWAYS do better than any lease deal advertised by BMW or in the paper. If you are willing to do your homework.
  • Options
    sjmurray3sjmurray3 Member Posts: 90
    Have opportunity to buy a used 2004 3 series from a private party. Can someone give me some tips, pointers, experience when buying person to person? Is BMW warranty affected in any way? I guess I should do a VIN check as well. Car only has 3000 miles, guy wants a Mercedes instead? Nice car, no noticable flaws/problems. I didn't really see a good link on Edmunds for this buying process. Thanks
  • Options
    The warranty transfers... no problems there. Get the VIN# from the seller, and call your local BMW service department. They will have the in-service date, warranty expiration date, and also be able to tell you any service or repairs the car has had. The only thing they won't be able to tell you, is if the car has had any collision damage or bodywork.

I'd ask the seller to see the copy of the window sticker. That will tell you exactly what you are dealing for, and might give you an idea of selling price. Before you start negotiating, make sure you have financing ready.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    definitely check the car out with the service department, run a CARFAX, and maybe even go over the car with a collision expert to see if the car's been crashed.

Also remember to keep your cool and don't get too excited. This guy is going to tell you that his car only has 3000 miles and is in showroom condition so he's probably asking a lot for it. It is still a USED car and it depreciated. Remember to read between the lines. He's trying to sell the car privately because he probably told his local Mercedes-Benz dealer to take a long walk off a short pier when they told him what they'd give on a trade in.

• Options
    rwardrward Member Posts: 5
    negotiating a lease on 325i. Went to dealership yesterday inquiring about the $289. month lease in effect right now on a 325i with automatic, moonroof and heated seats. After test driving a couple of different cars, I decided on a standard transmission, moonroof with the sport package. Msrp is less on this combination than the $289. special. The dealer however wants $333. a month. Does this seem too much or is the $289 really $333. after taxes, etc.?

By the way, I drove a 325 with the new transmission that combines an auto clutch with standard transmission. It was a blast to drive.