Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!

Volkswagen Passat Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dhfddhfd Posts: 22
    Is there a link to check for these? I don't remember getting anything about it? Was something sent out?
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    You wrote: What's a micro screen?

Just from the context and description, I think it's the mesh on the oil pump pick up point, in the oil pan.

Seems from what I've read, the oil sludge thing is really mis-named. The oil cokes (forms hard coffee ground-like substance). The coked oil clogs up the oil pick up screen which reduces the oil pressure, eventually to the point of starving the engine for lubricant. Non-synthetic oil is more likely to coke, especially if run on long oil change intervals and with improper turbo cooldown. It doesn't help that the oil sump is rather small on the 1.8T engine in the Passat (due to the sub-frame and the longitudinal placement of the engine).

If you were reading the European car magazines in the 1980's, you might recall that hot running, high revving 4 cylinder engines with long oil change intervals formed sludge. They called it the "Black Death" back then. If you removed the valve cover on some of these engines, the would literally be filled with a gooey sludge. What's going on in the 1.8T engine is different.

To combat this, VW is mandating synth oil meeting VW spec 502.00 (mostly in 5w-40 flavor). They've also increased the total engine capacity by digging into their old parts inventory and finding a larger oil filter.
  • opengateopengate Posts: 2
    Has anyone experienced this: the back bumper of my 2004 Passat looks terrible. Any little tap from parking takes the color right off of the bumper. It looks like someone has taken a cheese grater to it, and it's garage parked, both at home and office. VW's response to my complaint: First we've heard of it, so sorry, but you are SOL. Anyone?
  • ian18ian18 Posts: 133
    This past weekend when waxing my 2003 Passat, I found a small spot on the rear bumper where the paint had come off. I assumed it was from someone hitting me very slightly, although I do not park in spots where this is likely to happen. Maybe there is something else going on with the paint.

In any case I used the VW touch-up paint to take care of it for now.
  • sluggo3sluggo3 Posts: 6
    The is the follow up to service performed by the dealer to repair the water problem. There were two issues. One, the AC drain tube was blocked again and two, the repair the dealer did initially to reseal the fresh air intake was not done properly and had to be re-done. As an aside, the repair order documentation did not include the drain tube blockage and had to be added.

Also, VW USA did follow up with me and did a good job of following up with the dealer but, in the end, the sense I had was that they only wanted to close the ticket and were not interested in whether I was satisfied with the service result or experience. Neither the dealer nor VW USA covered the customer care details very well. It may not be in their DNA.
  • opengateopengate Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. It would take several gallons of paint to touch up my bumper; not sure how it would adhere to the plastic, but I guess I'll try it. I actually have several holes in my bumper where people have nicked me while they were parking I guess. Not pretty.
  • dhfddhfd Posts: 22
    I had my car at the dealer this week. When you turned the ignition, it made a clunking/rattling noise twice then idled ok, until you pressed the accelerator, and it would make a rattling noise like something was loose.

At first, the dealer thought cleaning the throttle body would do the trick, but that didn't work...at least its only clunking/rattling once when you turned the ignition.

they kept it overnight, and then determined that the serpentine belt tensioner needed replaced. At first, dealer tells me it'd be $300. then calls back, apologizes and said he thought it had 59K miles...

the car has 49600 miles. Anyone else experienced this? Is that normal for VW/Passats?

I can't wait to sell this car.
  • I just bought a brand new 2005 1.8T Passat, and it clunks down into first gear (Automatic tranny) when I do a rolling stop and then hit the gas. It's horrible and the dealer has looked at it and says there is northing wrong. Jettas do not do it. Its horrible!
    Kerry
  • yesnoyesno Posts: 5
    I am considering buying a 2004 1.8T AT Passat. Leftover new from the dealer. The salesperson says the the electrical and motor sludge problems they experienced are behind them. Is that true?
  • ellyelly Posts: 8
    Oh, where to begin!

I have been searching for a good compact / mid size car for ages. A great certified car is ideally what I would spend the money on. In a nutshell, this is what I have learned:

* Edmunds.com and Consumer Reports are wonderful resources in researching a car / SUV.

* VW's - Consumer Reports (CR) has rated this as, basically, a not-so-great car since 1999. It is "unreliable" and just all-round a bad buy in comparison to other cars in its class. It's a great shame. I LOVE VW's for it's price and class. I'm not happy about this at all!!! C'mon VW - fix it!! Are they really this bad as people are saying?? The Jetta's are made in Mexico, but I belive the Passats are still made in Germany? I've seen loaded low miles 2002's for $14k. After what I have read, it makes me suspicious. Am i overanalyzing CR?

Mazda 3: Ok, it's Mazda. It's about $19k for the Mazda 3s ($16k base), (and $15k for the Mazda 3i) but it's a beautiful car for its class. Personally, I think 19k is overpriced, but still, it's a GREAT car, the dash lighting (for all you VW lighting lovers) is just as awesome (red with a little blue backlighting) and it's just a great car inside and out. It's really worth checking out.... ABS and side / curtain airbags don't come standard, and nor does an auto tranny. Bummer. Bumps the price up another 1900 for just those two.

* Toyota - Well every man and his dog drives a Camry, and although it's apparently a great car, the inside is, in my personal opinion, "cheap" looking on the inside and lacks any really modern touches. I know it's a great car, but c'mon. If you buy a car, you want to love it, right?.

* Honda's - Again. Great car, but ugly inside if you are looking to spend under $20k.

* Scions: Can't haggle. Bummer. It's fixed pricing.

* Nissan's - Didn't do great in CR and also pricey.

I'm still deciding. I'm so sad VW's suck in their ratings from all reliable sources, b/c I would have loved one. If I was willing to pay $20k for a Mazda, I would definitely do it.

Do you have any suggestions??

Do you VW owners recommend not buying a VW now since your problems?
    You trust sales people? ...

I've had sales people promise me they are the Dalai Lama and want to help. They then proceed to try and stiff me for as much cash as they can and want my first born if it'll make them more money. =)
  • irnmdnirnmdn Posts: 245
    Mazda 3: Ok, it's Mazda. It's about $19k for the Mazda 3s ($16k base), (and $15k for the Mazda 3i) but it's a beautiful car for its class. Personally, I think 19k is overpriced,
    * Scions: Can't haggle. Bummer. It's fixed pricing.

* Nissan's - Didn't do great in CR and also pricey.

Is there any car out there you think is fairly priced? May be you should consider used or GM with 25% off in rebates. 19k Mazda comes with leather seats, 160HP engine, Bose stereo with subwoofer, xenos etc.Scion TC is absolute best value for money for the features you get.
  • gagricegagrice Pahrump, NevadaPosts: 31,432
    I guess I am in the minority. I took my new 2005 Passat TDI to Drew VW in San Diego. I bought the car in Oregon. I needed a new gas cover as the original was broken. The only problem I have had in the first 3000 miles is the down volume control on the steering wheel did not work easily. Drew gave me a loaner car and treated me first rate. I was expecting a big runaround with the horror stories about VW service. I drove the 1.8 Passat. I like the TDI MUCH better. It is smoother power at speed on the highway. First 3000 miles I have averaged overall 32.9 MPG.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 203
    The 04/05 issue of CR lists the 2005 VW Passat as a recommended model. The same issue of CR predicts that 95% to 91.7% of the 2005 Passat 1.8T's will be trouble-free. Now, that's not as good as CR's prediction that 98%-100% of the 2005 Camry 4's will be trouble-free, but 100% of Passat owners correctly predicted that 100% of Camry's are fun-free. Personally, I'll play the combined odds for reliability and fun on the Passat vs the Camry any time. :D
  • gagricegagrice Pahrump, NevadaPosts: 31,432
    Safety, handling & braking is superior on the Passat as well. That is a lot to give up for reliable. Toyota is not as trouble free as they would like you to believe with 880,000 trucks and SUV's to recall for loss of steering problems. With Prius Problems galore, they may get knocked off their lofty perch.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/automotive/chi-0505200115may20,1,1259027.column?c- - oll=chi-navrailbusiness-nav
  • hawghawg Posts: 4
    I bought an 1.8T Passat with 16000 km. It surges, only infrequently, but it's somewhat disconcerting. Has anyone else had this condition? What was the cause, and what was the fix?
    Don't get me wrong. I LOVED the Mazda 3s. I'm not knocking it. The tc's were nice aswell, but i personally liked the Mazda more.

However! my only question with the Mazda is, how do you think they will retain their value against Toyota / Honda / VW?

I guess, apart from it's great attributes etc, it'd be also nice to know if it;ll be worth anything in 5 - 7 years if i sold it or traded it in.... there's no Mazda 3 history to check data on, so what's the safe assumption?
    Yes, I know they recommend 2005 Passats, but check page 93 pf 04/05 CR to see what they have to say about the history of Passats. From 98 - 02 they basically indicated them to be "worse than average". It's also predicted to be "average" for the 2005 model. Although it's not expected to have problems
    (and so it shouldn't!), it's still rated average. Hey, I love VW's - always had them when I lived in London. However, although they are far more appealing to drive and fun etc than the ever-so-dull Camry, I'd still hate to be passed on the hard shoulder of the freeway in my broken down / expensive repair job Passat by a dull Camry driver. If they made Camry's as fabulous on the inside as VW's, they would be far more appealing to buy. I think some dull, uncreative geek just sits and designs Toyota interiors... thankfully they didn't allow him near the Scion tc.

How come so many people drive those damn Camry and Honda Civic things anyway? I don't see many Passats out there on the road...and I live in a state (CA) where there's 8 gazilion cars on the road at any given time. Cosmo, I'm not knocking VW's - i'm only stating what's written in CR and on Edmunds.com for their history. :D I think they are the most attractive car out there for their class and price..as is the Jetta. Although the Mazda 3s sedan is damn cute.
    At last! Toyota gets a kick up the you know what!! woohoo!!
  • Mine does it too! I work with two other Passat owners and they complain of the same thing. I am searching these postings hoping to find some type of recall that wil fix it!. My car has 1200 miles on it and the problem is so annoying I can't weait to get rid of it!
    Kerry
  • evan93023evan93023 Posts: 4
    Is $700.00 a fair price to replace the a/c module??
  • bhandarubhandaru Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 2001 VW Passat GLX manual transmission. The car has been driving great except for one small thing that bothers me while driving. Whenever I am in the 5th gear and I give gas and release the pedal, I feel a small back lash in the stick shift shaft. Like its being pulled back and released. Has anybody experienced this with their cars or heard about it? Is this normal with Passats or any stick shifts for that matter. My friends 97' Accord(5spd) does not have this problem. I am looking for resources that explain this behavior and how I can get it fixed. Can anybody please help me in this regard?
  • bindhubindhu Posts: 20
    The heater on my 2000 GLS stopped working last winter. My mechanic told me it was probably clogged. The car has only 38000 miles and VW does not recommend changing the coolant before 50000 miles. Anybody has a comment on that.
  • graebegraebe Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Passat GLX. Recently the Monsoon radio stopped working. The car is still under warranty and the dealer replaced the radio. The new radio looks the same; however, the new radio does not produce the same music quality as the old radio. Also, the old radio displayed the “Monsoon” name when turned on. The new radio does not. Has anyone experienced similar radio problems or does anyone know of Volkswagen installing non-Monsoon radios as replacements?
  • hi,
    I recently got a 1998 Passat GLS 1.8L with 50K on it .. The problem might be electrical.
    When the Engine is turned On , the AC , Lights and Wiper wont work , instead the BRAKE Warning comes . The BRAKE warning light turns on only when ever an attempt is made to turn the AC, Lights or wiper.
    The AC , Lights / wiper seems to work when the key is in ON position,and engine is off.

I checked all fuses , all good ...
    Please Help me - SOS !!!!
  • vergsrvergsr Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem on fuel pump. I was 120 miles away from my residence when the engine lost power. I got stuck in the middle of a farmer's plantation called nowhere land. Luckily, the State Troopers came regularly to check on me. I called for a towing service which took 3.5 hours to show up. It took another 3 hrs to get to a service center near my residence. Coupled with this is a $60 out of pocket towing fee. My road side service paid for the first 100 miles. The VW service representative said that it was a fuel pump problem. The car had 45,000 miles. Since it was under warranty, VW service did not charge me any fee for parts and repair cost. I also had a free car rental since I bought the car via internet. Anybodt had a similar problem for a VW Passat V6 4motion 2003? :sick:
  • 643fan643fan Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 doing the same thing. Been to the dealership twice and "they can't duplicate the problem". When driving on the highway, it's like the car doesn't know what gear to be in. I noticed on the NTSHBA's website that there are two similiar complaints, both resolved by the dealership replacing the transmission. Here's the site to research the complaints:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/
  • 643fan643fan Posts: 2
    I've had the same problem with my 2003 Passat. I took it to the dealer and was told by the service advisor that there is an engineering flaw in the evaporater. The lip of the drain is slightly raised, thus blocking all the water from draining out. This leaves you with the moldy/musty smell from the stagnant water that remains. I asked him why this wasn't recalled and fixed. He told me that it's not "common" complaint and that there isn't a safety issue associated with it. He was more than happy to charge me $50 bucks for some type of disenfectant that was sprayed into the system to remediate the smell. After about a week, the smell returned. I have been trying to get a response out of Volkswagen to see what they plan on doing to fix this - I don't feel I should be paying money to fix their engineering problem, however, I'm not hopeful of a positive outcome.
  • catecate Posts: 8
    It was hot yesterday (around 75F). I found my engine temperature read by the car itself was 220F. I never noticed such a high temperature before. Is it a normal temperature?
    Thanks.
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Posts: 690
    The normal operating temperature for that year's Passat should not exceed 190F. I would have the cooling system thoroughly checked.