Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• Options
    robs_placerobs_place Member Posts: 24
    Here are some closeups photos of our Maxx LT, 1SB.
    We've had it since August. Have been taking it on several road trips from Northern NJ, to Maryland. It's been our ultimate road trip machine.
    One of the most honest cars on the road today!

http://www.pbase.com/robs_place/maxx
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    Have same car in red sport metallic, I do enjoy driving it on my road trips from Northern Va to SC, it has made six such trips so far..and one to the outer banks in NC (Ocracoke)since I purchased mine in late Feb....12K miles and going strong....alas..the DVD has been used once....cant convince the better half to sit in the back and watch anything.....cheers!

my pics and website here:
    http://home.att.net/~p.oswald/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

and the maxx cross country...shown at the recent SEMA show...build it please!

http://forums.gminsidenews.com/showthread.php?t=8369
  • Options
    maddmaxxmaddmaxx Member Posts: 81
    I have a new '04 Maxx LS and have put 5000k miles on it so far. I've noticed that when I'm stopped at a light or idling for a few minutes that the temp gauge creeps up. It's normally in the middle, but goes up half a notch. This happened the other night and it was 66 degrees outside. Is this a problem that it gets that close to the red zone?

I also had the CHECK GAS CAP message and bell coming on all day today. Gas cap was on tight best I could tell.
  • Options
    bigals87z28bigals87z28 Member Posts: 12
    I did notice that the car does heat up quickly, but as long as it sits in the middle, you are fine.
    I am also coming up on 5k miles.

Pao, good post to GMI! I was going to post it as well, but you beat me too it.
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    maddmaxx: the temp needle going up halfway between the midpoint and redline is normal; disconcerting, but normal.
  • Options
    jcm1229jcm1229 Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a 2004 LS with 9K miles. So far its great. It doesn't have any floor mats. Should I get GM or aftermarket?? The GM parts has vinyl or carpet and I've been quoted $47 for both front and rear carpet.

Thanks!
  • Options
    robs_placerobs_place Member Posts: 24
    I love the outerbanks! It would be a perfect place for a Maxx Cross Country with AWD!
    The DVD system is great! Sometimes I even sit in the back with my 6 yr old to watch movies, leaving the front passenger seat empty.

Regards,

Rob
  • Options
    dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    If it moves around too much, you need a new sensor. I have seen the problem before. There is very likely no problem with the engine itself.

I could be wrong but that is my take.
  • Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Maddmaxx - could you provide last 6 of your VIN? Have you noticed anything unusual about how long (or short) your gas gauge is on "F" after filling the tank?
  • Options
    firemanjackfiremanjack Member Posts: 123
    Hey folks, I have been watching the action here for a little while in anticipation of buying a new Maxx..I picked up a new med. grey LS this morning..Interesting thing is the dealer didn't know the wireless headphones come with the car... nor did he know the wheel has a telescopic function..I've been driving foreign cars for a while now..It's nice to buy a Chevy.
     It's nice that they make one worth buying..and is it ever worth it..I love this car...
     Thanks for all your advice..be talking to you.
                             Jack
  • Options
    The # is 239589. I've only seen the gauge go to full once. It normally goes half a notch below full. The dealer says I'm not getting it full at the pump.

I assume the redline on the temperature gauge is overheating? I'm concerned it creeps up and it's not even summertime.

I bought this car as my first purchase and first American car. My Toyota is getting tired with 352k on the clock. I hope this car works out.
  • Options
    madmaxxmadmaxx Member Posts: 44
    The temperature gauge on my '04 Maxx LS never varies--once warm, it sits a half needle below the middle mark. Doesn't matter if I'm stuck in traffic at 90degrees with a/c running or (like today) 32degrees and cruising on the freeway.

--Madmaxx--
  • Options
    Recommend your dealer review service bulletin 04-08-49-025 regarding the check gas cap message and fuel gage not getting to full. BTW I believe your build date was 05/25/04.
  • Options
    townhometownhome Member Posts: 104
    Sounds silly, but one of the things that impressed me about my Maxx was the floormats. I've always had factory floormats, both foriegn and domestic, and these look and fit the best. I'd go for the ones from the dealer. At $47, it's a bargin. I paid $100 for ones for my Maxima in 1993.
  • Options
    I agree firemanjack. It is nice to buy a Chevy after so many years of driving foreign cars. Living in L.A., all I see are foreign cars. I like the fact that not only is my car an American car, but that I never see myself coming and going. On the other hand, I wish more people would discover the Maxx and buy it. Congratulations on your new Maxx!
  • Options
    jcm1229jcm1229 Member Posts: 7
    I have an 04 LS and the range on the keyless entry seems very short 50 feet or less. Is this the typical range. I've had keyless entry on other vehicles and they always had a longer range.

Thanks!
  • Options
    nessusnessus Member Posts: 6
    Hey folks,

I'm the reasonably proud owner of a new 05 Maxx which I bought after a guy in an F-150 hit my '99 Chevy Prizm from behind. So far I quite like it; I've always been partial to larger cars, but have been irritated by the historically low gas mileage that most of them have had. The Maxx solves that neatly and has lots of other bonuses as well.

Only one complaint thus far -- the well-known "Check Gas Cap" and fuel gauge problem reared its ugly head last night and the car is now in the shop. If anyone has had this same problem and knows an approximate ETA for repairs on it or other experiences I'd like to hear about it. Everything else is peachy at this time.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Are there any other TSB's for my car?

I took the car in today and gave them the TSB#. The service writer said it had nothing to do with the check gas cap message, but it would address the fuel gauge and it would take some time for them to run the tests.

I had previously mentioned to the service manager my concerns over the rear sunshade. When I would roll any window down they would violently release and snap back. When I arrived at the dealership today, the manager said he investigated the problem and had an entire new headliner assembly to replace mine with all of the updates.

They are also replacing a wheel center cap because the bowtie fell off.

I really like the car and was reminded of this when they loaned me an '03 Malibu. The 2 models don't even seem related when driving. I am disapointed the car is having what seems like major surgery to have a new headliner and possibly gas tank.

The dealer has been really nice, but I think the Maxx is very foreign to them so far.

By the way, anyone know where the fuel filter is located? They told me it needed to be changed every 15000 miles or the fuel pump would go out. The service writer couldn't find out where it was.

Thanks.
  • Options
    That is typical range for non-remote start system, actually it is better than many. You likely do not have the remote start feature. That system has a range that is closer to 200 feet.
  • Options
    I agree that the bulletin doesn't mention Check Gas Cap Warning but the original preliminary document I had referenced previously did. Not sure why it wasn't included but believe me they are related.

As far as other TSB... I don't want to scare you but there are really too many to mention. These are used to help service technicians and so get written for a variety of reasons.

I know that NHTSA web site has copies of them available for you to review although I don't know how often that database is updated - and their website is quite aggravating to navigate for general browsing like you would want to do .

I agree "fuel filter" doesn't seem to be mentioned very clearly in service manual so I am not sure if the info you were given was correct or not. If I learn anything I will post back.
  • Options
    Thank you. I really appreciate your help.

Another interesting thing I was told today when I dropped off my car about the temperature gauge is that I need to have the a/c on to keep the temperature stable as the electric fans will be engaged. I realize the fans do come on, but a/c's to create heat and next to the radiator due to the condensor. Of course the fans should come on at a specified temperature anyways.
  • Options
    prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    MaddMaxx wrote:
    >By the way, anyone know where the fuel filter is located? They told me it needed to be changed every 15000 miles or the fuel pump would go out. The service writer couldn't find out where it was.<

I haven't looked in our Maxx but the typical location is early in the fuel line after leaving the tank. If so it's a simple 10 minute job but near annual fuel filter swaps seems extreme to me.
  • Options
    bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    I don't know what the owners manual says, but a 15k mile change interval for fuel filter is utterly ridiculous. If the fuel filter can't last any longer than that, then the overall system design is poor or the filter quality is poor, or both. More likely, the dealer is quoting a very aggressive and unnecessary maintenance interval here, to pad profit margins. That's very typical.

If the owners manual is not clear on the change interval, then shame on GM. My bet would be the 800# folks won't have the information either.

Many (most?) people NEVER replace fuel filters on their vehicles. I wouldn't recommend that, but something like 50-60k seems like a more reasonable change interval. That's the range I follow on our vehicles.
  • Options
    I agree with bluedevils on the filter....you can also go to mygmlink i believe..i did check and at best they recommend inspecting the fuel system every 25K...i think your dealer is selling you a bill of goods..to stack his profits
  • Options
    2themax2themax Member Posts: 16
    Please keep us informed of the headliner replacement. I am curious if they simply swap out with the same type of headliner or if there is an actual upgrade.
  • Options
    The service manager showed me the new headliner. He says it has an updated latch on it. I can't compare it to the other one as I dropped it off and the dealer is about 80 miles from my house. He did say there is another fix for the original one, but he didn't feel it was as good and wanted to do it right.

I can see how people have had bad experiences with car dealers trying to price gouge. On the fuel filter I called several Chevy dealers in the area and they all recommended the same thing due to what they say is bad gas in the region and multiple chevy's coming in with the fuel pump having gone out, most around 40-50k, but some around the 20's. I didn't get a quote on this replacement, but feel that they are being truthful with me as to their experience. The biggest problem I see is just a lack of knowledge about the Maxx mechanically. Most of them admit the Maxx is different than everything they've been working on.

On other cars I've dealt with if I didn't change the filter by about 60k it would stop up not long after that. Does anyone know if the Maxx has a poly tank like the new silverado's? Great rust preventer :)
  • Options
    Seems as though they would simply replace the vinyl frame that the sunshade latches to rather than replace the entire headliner. Am I misunderstanding something?
  • Options
    Well, I removed the airbag stickers, but a lot of residue is still "ironed" into the fabric. Is not too bad, but I admit it looks just as tacky as the stickers themselves. I tried a steaming hot wash cloth and a lot of elbow grease. I am hesitant to try oil-based chemicals (eg, goof off) because it seems it would saturate, stain, and ruin the visors. In the end, I'd recommend keeping the obnoxious stickers on. Anyone have any final recommendations. Hopefully I can get the TSB replacement stickers and just put them back on...anyone know how I can get these?
  • Options
    I too would like to know if the headliner is an upgrade..teh current fix..or so I thought for the weak latch to the rear shades...was a simple reinforcement of the frame around the windows...not a entire headliner..unless they improve upon it for the 05 model year.
  • Options
    I recommend some happy face stickers to cover it up. Come on; if Beetle owners can decorate with fresh cut flowers, we should be able to start some trend of our own with the Maxx, no??
  • Options
    I agree. Seems like overkill, and quite an expensive fix to replace the entire headliner.
  • Options
    Black (12) 12%

Dark Blue (14) 15%

Sport Red (12) 12%

Medium Grey (21) 22%

Silver Green (6) 6%

Galaxy Silver (14) 15%

Light Driftwood (11) 11%

White (6) 6%
  • Options
    20-29 (14) 14%

30-39 (30) 29%

40-49 (32) 31%

50-59 (15) 15%

60 plus (11) 11%

Total Votes: 102
  • Options
    wow, I won in both categories. Why can't I win the lottery??
    One other thing about my Maxx which I love: I turned off the horn when the doors are locked. I found the horn way too loud, and now that winter is nearly here, I'll be using the remote starter in the early a.m. which necessitates the car lock being engaged first. But I just noticed the other week, that despite me turning off the horn, if you press the lock button twice on the FOB, the horn will still go off. That is a great feature for those times when I want to double check to ensure the doors have locked. Nice thinking e2helper and GM!!
  • Options
    Yes I use that feature (double fob lock button press) often :)

I agree having the horn honk every time you press fob button can be annoying.

However since the horn is much louder than noise of starting the vehicle I sometimes use that horn chirp as an indication that I am within range of vehicle to do a remote start.

For some reason I don't like using the vehicle locate/panic button to honk the horn since it honks it a preset number of times.
  • Options
    sure, but as you just pointed out, you can just as easily hit the lock button twice to ensure you are within distance of the remote starter.
    I think it is great that I can have my cake and eat it too (translated: I can remote start my car from within my house, and not have to wake my family up with the loud horn)
  • Options
    kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    On my 2004 maxx the rear shade system, while it got some cardboard reinforcement at a clinic, is still kinda whacko. I have had the shades occasionally pop back with a big whack.

Is there a service bulletin I can advise my dealer of that deals with a better fix or replacement?

And E2 helper, you were curious as to my VIN last 6 digits for checking on calibration...
    They are 155772
  • Options
    beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    What is this thing in the inside of the armrest lid...that looks like a cell phone slot?

I've looked all over the manual but there's no mention of it. They do point out the cell phone holder in the *bottom* of the armrest storage compartment, along with the coin holder at the forward edge, but I can't figure out what this area in the lid is supposed to be. I've tried putting my phone (a Nokia) in there but it won't fit...even with the leather case removed.

I feel dumb asking this and I'm wondering what other Malibu/Maxx owners use this thing for.
  • Options
    Isn't it for tissue? The little Kleenex packages fit in there just fine.
  • Options
    michiganmaxxmichiganmaxx Member Posts: 72
    Yep, it fits the little tissue packages just fine even though there is no mention of it in the owner's manual. My salesman also thought it was for a cell phone too, but no cell phone that I know of will fit in the spot.
  • Options
    There are a few other things like this not all are covered in manual. Not all of these on all seat styles:

2nd power outlet inside the console with a little notch in the console to allow a cord to exit when console closed.

3rd power outlet in Maxx in rear - that one is probably too obvious to miss

Clear Plastic clip on driver side windshield for parking pass

Picture clip on console

Pocket on inner side front passenger seat for small stuff. Maybe a pen?

Pocket on front of driver seat cushion (maybe on passenger seat also?)

Racheting lumbar adjustment on driver seat
  • Options
    Racheting lumbar adjustment on driver seat???? Even though I have the 6 way power????
  • Options
    Yup.
  • Options
    ok..how does it work..where is the adjustment mechanism?...need to go look at my LT..LOL
  • Options
    Major Guard
    Malibu Max
    Class two

60 months/60,000 miles

$0 ded. $1490.00
    $100 ded. $1235.00
    $200 ded. $1045.00

72 months/72,000 miles

$0 ded. $2820.00
    $100 ded. $2270.00
    $200 ded. $1855.00

here is the best that I have found
  • Options
    michiganmaxxmichiganmaxx Member Posts: 72
    Hi folks. My comment about various posters use of "LOL" has nothing to do directly with the Maxx, but I thought you might find the following site of interest:
    http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?String=exact&Acrony- - - - m=lol&Find=Find

I'm guessing most of you are using one of the first two examples listed on the site...but then again... ;)
  • Options
    so it is quite a bit more expensive to purchase a GMPP after 12 months / 12,000 miles, vs. before 12/12 - right?
  • Options
    A smaller version of the recline lever on the same side (driver seat only) maybe 8 inches higher.
  • Options
    I didn't notice the manual lumbar adjustment on our Maxx for at least a week. It's nice to have, but my Kia Sedona minivan has a power lumbar adjustment.
  • Options
    more expensive and not as much coverage:
    60 months/60,000 miles

$0 ded. $1490.00
    $100 ded. $1235.00
    $200 ded. $1045.00

72 months/72,000 miles

$0 ded. $2820.00
    $100 ded. $2270.00
    $200 ded. $1855.00

for comparison ..this is the quote for before 12/12K is reached: