Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    You are correct, there is a sensor.

It does not have a direct effect on cooling fan operation. Service manual has a pretty good description of types of stuff that sensor's information is used for. Example: When it gets over 140 deg C the controller modifies shift schedule and torque converter operation to reduce heat generated in transmission.
  • Options
    kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    Three things that would be nice to see/option on future Maxxes would be:

1. Next level up V6 with variable valve timing,
    2. All wheel drive.
    3. Better trim quality in rear passenger/hatch areas.
  • Options
    maddmaxxmaddmaxx Member Posts: 81
    I talked to the dealer and he did say the computer tripped a code indicating intermittent coolant temp sender reading. Well yesterday, the gauge quit again and the cooling fans came on. On my way home there's a mild hill. The engine went to pinging very badly and I immediately let of the gas and was able to coast it home and let it rest for the night. I'm hoping that's related to the computer not knowing the temp of the engine. If the temp isn't working correctly then I guess the oil life monitor is probably off too now? I also have a new oil leak which appears to be around the front crank seal that will also have to be addressed next visit.
  • Options
    Any potential he could tell you what code was setting?
  • Options
    maddmaxxmaddmaxx Member Posts: 81
    Probably not at this point. Thanks.
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    You probably won't know the answer to this question, but I thought I would ask it anyway since you do work with Chevys. I just bought an 05 Colorado extended cab and am curious about installing the auto dimming mirror with outside temp/compass. Is this possible after the factory? If so, is it a simple process of plugging it in and maybe adding a fuse/relay or is it real difficult? You can use your knowledge of the Malibu as an example since it also offers the auto dimming mirror as an option. Thanks for any insight!
  • Options
    sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
    Having my Maxx in for its first service and to "tighten up" some of the minor "not rights" I had found. The dealership provided me with a free rental. All Enterprise had at first was a Ford F150 Triton Quad Cab. This near Peterbuilt size behemoth struggled on the highway while drinking a pint and a half of gas every mile. I was more than happy to honor their request to switch to a GM car to meet Chevy loaner guidelines.

Well, I got an 04 Pontiac Grand Prix and boy it makes me want my Maxx back ASAP. I know the dash lighting is love/hate, but gee, the seating drove me crazy. Here's a car that would not fit in the Maxx's space in my garage, so I had to leave it out in the snow, yet the inside was so cramped that I had to put the driver seat so far back to keep my head from pressing against the ceiling that my feet barely reached the pedals. It was so uncomfortable that I had to stop and stretch after the first 20 miles of my morning commute.

Kudos to Chevy for absorbing some of their European brethren's design cues. This experience just underlines why I held on to my GM points for over 10 years (letting quite a few expire) before buying a GM product.
  • Options
    I am sure that electrochromatic mirrors are pretty much the same regarding wiring requirements. That mirror on the Malibu uses 3 wires (Ignition, Ground and Back-up Lights). It needs back-up lights because when you put vehicle in reverse the mirror goes to full reflection irregardless of amount of light shining into it.

Malibu doesn't offer mirror with compass. That is a self-contained feature which doesn't require any addition wires to mirror.

The Malibu didn't need the outside temperature feature because that is done in Driver Info Center. However that type of feature to a mirror would require 2 additional circuits going to an ambient temperature sensor. The characteristics of that sensor have to be matched to requirements of mirror.

That is as much detail as I can give :)
  • Options
    chrpaichrpai Member Posts: 32
    e2helper,

I've thought about adding an aftermarket electrochromatic mirror to my Malibu LS 1SA. Do you know if the 3 wires you mentioned are allready in the headliner (maybe an unused harness? ) or do you have to fish them down and find where to connect them?
  • Options
    Sorry, no idea on that. Likely they are NOT there if you don't have any wiring already going to your mirror.
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    hey pao: another snowstorm to test our tires/abs/traction control tomorrow.
    I'm honing in on an extended warranty for my car. I have less than 2k to get one at new car prices. Ironically, Black Pontiac has the best price right now over Capper. Although Black's $30 discount runs out on Monday, they charge a $36 processing fee if you pay for the warranty with your credit card. Apparently, their profit margin is so low, that they have to pass on the 2%+ fees the credit card companies charge them. I'm going to wait till the very last minute to get mine. Did you all know that the warranty period (I'll pick the 72 month/90k warranty) will be ADDED on to my current mileage?? I thought GMPP was from the date of service for the vehicle. I was incorrect, which is why I will wait until the very last moment to part with my money. My biggest concern on the Maxx remains the potential for future steering problems.
  • Options
    gagabubugagabubu Member Posts: 13
    My Bu Babe is back and I've driven her for a week now. The one thing that is really better is the steering. It came back firm and I have more confidence in the steering now. It seems to me that dealers can adjust it.

What is marginally different is the braking quality:more natural versus abrupt. So I can live with that.

I would certainly get an extended warranty for as long as possible. I think it makes good sense as repair costs can be shocking as I have discovered recently after my accident.

Also received the insurance company love letter. My premium is up 15% for the next 3 years. I was told I could cut it down 5% if I took a defensive driving course. I will.
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Generally any extended warranty has a 100% dealer markup. If a car is generally reliable, I don't think it should be necessary.
  • Options
    bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    "Did you all know that the warranty period (I'll pick the 72 month/90k warranty) will be ADDED on to my current mileage?? I thought GMPP was from the date of service for the vehicle. I was incorrect..."

That is hard to believe. You mean that the person who buys the GMPP when his car has 11,999 miles gets basically 12k more coverage out of the 'same' GMPP that his buddy bought when his vehicle had 0 miles on it? That doesn't make any sense.
  • Options
    yep, it is amazing. But what I can't understand is this: how would Black or Capper know that my mileage us under 12k? The date of the car is obvious, since there is a born on date when I purchased it. But how would they know my mileage as long as I was under the 12 months?
    By the way, here's the link:
    http://www.gmoutlet.com/quote/emailserver/majorguard/05mg2.htm
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    well im about to go thru 18k on my Maxx..but even the "used" prices look good for the extended warranty with black...Im amazed they start the GMPP on the date of purchase and mileage at that time....but they give examples in their details....Im looking at the 48/60k...which give me 5/80k ownership totals..I normally dont keep a vehicle much past 5 years or 90K....soooooooo and for $960 with 100 ded....it looks like a pretty good deal
  • Options
    "General Motors said it is discontinuing production at a Lansing, Michigan plant which produced the Pontiac Grand Am and the Chevrolet Classic, the fleet version of the previous-generation Chevrolet Malibu" (from a major newswire).

Bob Lutz once said the "new" Malibu would never be a fleet rental car. Now with no "classic" any bets as to how long before the "new" Malibu becomes the fleet rental car? And its resale values cratering? Sad.
  • Options
    you haven't rented a car in a while......it already IS the fleet rental car. New Bu's and Maxx's are available everywhere. I've already rented an '05 Maxx. Lutz broke his promise about 6 months ago.
  • Options
    It seems Detriot executives "break" more "promises" than the Japanese. Different cultural attitudes?

Perhaps that's why Toyota and other Japanese companies are slowly pushing Detroit aside.

I got the Maxx because it seemed to be a good car, not because of Lutz.
  • Options
    CU's 2005 comments on the Malibu reveal a graphic mileage shift. They used to say the Mailbu got 26 mph. Now they claim 23, and the Maxx at 21.

The only time my Maxx did that badly was when it wass very cold and I was driving on hopelessly jammed freeways or city streets (idling like mad).
    Average for me has been 25 - 26.
  • Options
    beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    It wouldn't be the first time CU backpedaled on something. Even when they find a GM car that performs well in their tests, they ultimately find a way to trash it...in order to make their favorites (CamCord) look good.

I've averaged about 26 also.
  • Options
    bhw77bhw77 Member Posts: 101
    I am constantly averaging 16 mpg in moderate city traffic on 04' Maxx.
  • Options
    prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    Just took my wife's Maxx to fill up (she's from the old school thinking maybe you have to remove all the old gas before you can put in the new gas). On the way I hear three short "dings" and see the light on near the guage - nice. BTW on fill up I had 2.25 gallons left in the tank.
  • Options
    Yes the gas warning light is nice. So is the big tank. My former Saturn ION which got worse mileage then the Mailbu could only go 300 miles on a tank. The Maxx can usually do 400 or so.
  • Options
    hickorydhickoryd Member Posts: 57
    My '04 Maxx is getting at least 27 mpg every fillup. Mostly highway commuting, but traffic slowdowns are not uncommon, nor are short trips to library or grocery.
  • Options
    hgr3inokhgr3inok Member Posts: 28
    The last time my wife filled her Maxx, the warning light had just come on. She put in 12.63 gallons. She does not top the tank after the pump shuts off automatically. Her Maxx has ~1,500 miles. The current cumulative MPG (calculated from odometer and pump readings) is 25.22. The latest tankful was 29.85 --- mostly highway (non-freeway) miles at 60-70 mph.
  • Options
    jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Regular sedan here, but the mileage numbers should be close for the sedan and the maxx anyway-

lowest mileage recorded - 24.6 mpg
    best mileage recorded - 33.1 mpg
    our usual average (this winter, anyway) ~27 mpg

The lowest average came after sitting in traffic repeatedly back before Christmas, when we were attempting to visit various shops. Roughly half that tank was highway mileage.

The best mileage was heading home on interstates, with speeds between 70 and 75 mph (5 over the speed limit everywhere :D).

Our usual travel right now is roughly 40% 2 lane / town / city driving, with a speed of 45 mph or less, and 60% highway driving at 70 mph.

I'm fairly certain I can get 30 or better when I start using the 'bu as my daily driver to work (60 mile round trip, 90% interstate, 2% city, the rest rural), especially once I've had the next oil change (going to Mobil-1 Synthetic).

I think GM did a pretty good job of balancing refinement, cost, efficiency, and power in these cars, at least with the 3500.
  • Options
    Yes, the 3500, given its old design, seems to have been tweaked pretty well. Hopefully next time I get a maxx the 3500 or its successor will have variable valve timing, an aluminum block for less weight, and a few other efficiency enhancements.
  • Options
    agreed. Nonetheless, it is amazing how the mileage dramatically increases on the highway. I never do pure highway driving and get 21-22 mpgs in straight DC traffic. And when I do get on a highway after being stuck in traffic, I sailing at around 80 mph, enjoying every second of the Maxx's highway ride. I used to get 24 under the same city only conditions with my 2 liter 626.
  • Options
    billymaxxbillymaxx Member Posts: 12
    I went to the Home Depot today to pick up some 2x4's and other supplies. While preparing the car for the wood before going into the store (putting the seats down and plastic over them), I had a guy come over asking about the car. He loved the way the seats went down and how easy it would be to load supplies in. I gave him a quick tour of the car and he seemed impressed.

Later on, as I was loading the car up, 2 guys came over and asked about the car as well. They recognized it as the Malibu Maxx (maybe from the TV commercials?) and were excited to see one in person. They thought it looked great and loved the convenience of the fold down seats and lots of cargo room.

Do we possibly have a couple of future Maxx owners coming soon? :-)

Love my Maxx!

-Bill
  • Options
    maxx10maxx10 Member Posts: 16
    Possibly..

You know, the attention the Maxx (MY BU) gets its amazing. It got lots of attention even before I made some upgrades to it. (18inch chrome rims and dark tint.. the car is also black.) People stop me at gas stations and stores and ask me about it. When I went back to the dealership where I bought it, the owner came out and raved about how it looked. Whats more amazing is that people think that it is a new police car because of the dark tint, the license plate has the state trooper logo on it, and the number is 911 (LOL). I love my BU
  • Options
    madmadammadmadam Member Posts: 55
    me too.
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    any chance yuo can post some pics of your maxx..would love to see what it looks like with the chrome wheels
  • Options
    Has anyone else been getting flashed to lower their beams while driving at night when the lights are already in the low beam position? Got "flashed" 2 or 3 times Saturday night with no passengers and no weight in the back. Are the lights extra bright on the Maxx or do I need to have the headlights re-aimed on my 2 month old car?

Also,I have noticed that there is a definite shadow that extends 6-8 feet in front of the car and I attribute it to bumper and the headlight positioning.
  • Options
    ktcktc Member Posts: 30
    Yes, I have that experience also, my maxx is also only 3 months old, the low beam is much brighter than my 93 Buicl LeSabre.
  • Options
    Yes, I get it occasionally as well. The low beams in the Maxx are quite bright. I had considered Silverstar replacement lamps but will hold off until I better understand how the Maxx light aiming works.
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    less bright than what I had on my Elantra however. The Elantra had some very exotic lamps H1/h7's usually seen on higher end cars. Really put out the light, but were very expensive and a BEAR to replace--nasty metal spring-clips and no finger-manuevering room as you slid them in.

After blowing through a bunch of aftermarket lamps I found they were covered under warranty and that Hyundai used a long life bulb.

I was very happy to see that the Malibu used standard lamps that should (haven't checked) be a lot easier to replace and about a third as expensive. I think advances have been made in overall lamp reflector design over the last ten years or so that have resulted in most cars getting better in this regard.

I haven't noticed that many people giving me a dim-flash, so maybe there is some problem with the aim of your lamps.
  • Options
    hickorydhickoryd Member Posts: 57
    No. Have not had oncoming vehicles signalling me to dim, and 50% of my commuting is at night.

However, my sensor seems to thing it is dark outside in the middle of the day. Has anyone had that problem...headlights coming on (on automatic) on just a cloudy day?
  • Options
    firemanjackfiremanjack Member Posts: 123
    Hey schriber...my 4 month old 05 LS gets flashed all the time..I think it may be due to the low beams being aimed just a touch too high.
    On the other hand, that height of adjustment yields a nice long view to the front..I find the main difference between the high beam and low beam coverage to be the much increased side view with the high beams on. Never noticed any annoying shadow though..Overall I like the lights.
    As is posted in another post, my '02 Elantra had excellent lights. Traded it in on this Maxx I now have, and love...Be talking....Jack
  • Options
    yep, the lights are a bit too high. A simple allen wrench will do the trick under the hood. Just lower them a smidgin'
  • Options
    malibabemalibabe Member Posts: 12
    AAA has information on warranties it sells to its members at www.aaa.com. The most expensive was around $1250. There was an 11-12 page pdf file describing the extended warranty.

For those who have compared warranties do you find good value in the AAA warranty? Do the extended warranties overlap or have the same characteristics as the manufacturer warranties?
    Any comments will be appreciated.
  • Options
    Yes, I have had this happen. Twilight is the worst time. One day the sun was in my eyes, the driver wiper cast a small shadow over the sensor, and the headlights came on making it impossible to read the DIC until I readjusted the instrument brightness control.

Of course I can turn off the lights using the light control, but it's an additional hassle.
  • Options
    maxx10maxx10 Member Posts: 16
    I would if I could figure out how to post them on here..
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Can't post pics... yet. It's coming, stay tuned.

kcram
    Host - Wagons
  • Options
    beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    I have an 04 Maxx LS and I get an occasional dim-flash from other drivers. But I used to get that with some of my other cars, and they had lousy lights compared to this Malibu. Some people are just easily p.o.'d when it comes to headlight glare, I guess...
  • Options
    billymaxxbillymaxx Member Posts: 12
    I found some information about a new Malibu Maxx Cross Country at another car forum. Here is a link to the info and a few pics. Looks good to me!

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8115

-Bill
  • Options
    Front kinda reminds me of the AUDI A3, which may be the MAXX's next competition (assuming Audi keeps the FWD version price at $25K).

New engine sounds nice!

Low profile tires won't like our Ca. roads potholes, though - are wheels forged?
  • Options
    Saw the title "Cross Country" and thought Volvo XC 70/90. I'll admit I was disappointed with the pimped street car. Personally I'd like to see a new Maxx with a little more ground clearance, perhaps AWD, and a 5 speed manual.

Picture an Audi A3 Allroad.
  • Options
    cytcyt Member Posts: 2
    Just got my Maxx back from service (3rd time) was a growling noise coming from front when coasting or in reverse when turning wheels. 1st time replaced right front strut (they said it was leaking), 2nd time replaced left strut assembly and the steering column, this time they said the link was worn out and bushings noisy so they replaced both of the front stablizer links. Does anyone know what the front stablizer links are? I am a bit concerned and do not want to have any further problems. So far, no noise.
  • Options
    mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Please check out the 'extended warranties' discussion on this forum, we just had a lovely conversation on AAA service contracts the other day...