Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• madmadammadmadam Member Posts: 55
    Sounds like a great trip! Just was the MAXX is perfect for. Mine is also gold (aka Light Driftwood).
    Earlier in these pages we discussed the slightly high angle of the headlights--some people reported oncoming traffic flashing lights.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    high elevation = low octane
  • rjr1rjr1 Member Posts: 2
    FWIW -- this may have been mentioned before, but I've found that lowering at least one of the rear windows an inch or two makes a significant improvement in the buffeting with the sunroof open.

RJR
  • indisweindiswe Member Posts: 10
    First time posting (hope i didnt break any posting guidelines), long time reading :D

I had a similar trip cross country from LA to Chicago in my 04 Maxx LS to move here for school. It's 2000 miles and my car was packed to the gills - probably over the recommended load limit - and left only a small window for the rearview mirror. The ride was very smooth, we had plenty of power, and got 30 mpg almost the whole way (the rockies were a little tougher than the flat road, but in 3rd gear it was fine). And btw, in CO, I encountered 85 octane too and thought it was a little wierd....

My MPG around Chicago is pretty poor (~16mpg) but I know it's because of the stop and start street driving around here. As soon as I get on the freeway it picks up again. Around So. Cal. the MPG was prety close to 23mpg on surface streets. Where I'm from the stop lights are half a mile apart and speed limit is 45 ( = go 50). So I know my Maxx is capable of the rated mpg. And I'll bet many other Maxxes would get that too.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Welcome to the action! ALWAYS nice to get new faces involoved in the discussions.
  • indisweindiswe Member Posts: 10
    Just seeing that rear sunroof post reminded me of the "fix" that I put on my Maxx. I went to a hardware store and bought 4 gromets for each of the 2 pegs on each of the sunshades. Gromits are similar to washers, but thicker. I think I bought ones that were 3/16 of an inch diameter on the inside hole. They are pretty cheap (around a buck for 4 of the gromets) and work quite well (meaning, the shades still pop open, but around 95% less times). It's a little squeeze to get the shade locked in but not too hard.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I'll see if i can take some digtal pics this afternoon of the front deflector installed...and get them posted tonight on my website...for you to take a look at
  • southcarolinasouthcarolina Member Posts: 19
    Maxx? This car will probably end up in Milwaukee and I hear that it gets a little cool there. Be nice to be able to crank it from the kitchen door.
    did you say add remote start to your Maxx?..I assume you have the LS vs the LT model...uuuuummmm dont know if that could be a dealer installed function or not...vice OEM.....i would shop around..I know there are several after market systems for remote start functionality.....

E2Helper...any comment here on this one>??
    anyone using that toll booth transponders in their maxx for automatic toll fee deduction...like ezpass here on the east coast.....where did you mount it...the ezpass has the alternate position to the right of the rear view mirror...the primary is directly above it..but cant place it there in the LT model because of the mirror with onstar.and the cable...

was wondering if the black dot sensor pattern around the mirror would interferes with the transponder.....if so I have to mount it about 3 inches down from the top of the windshield...mounting instructions dont specific a max distance from the top of the windshield..but does specific a measurement from the roof line center for placement

just curious if anyone is using it in their Maxx now
  • balloo814balloo814 Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone had to have their maxx aligned yet? What type of shop did you have to take it to? I am a part-time mechanic for Sears and I know that we cannot do them because of the electronic steering? Something about the steering wheel will never be straight... Is the dealer the only place that I can have my maxx aligned??
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    pao: nah, I just throw my 35 cents out the passenger window as I fly through the Greenway EZ pass lanes. Sometimes I score, sometimes not :D
    We'll be lurking for those pictures. Standing by.
  • dans2dans2 Member Posts: 9
    We are driving Detroit - Chicago next week with 3 adults and 2 kids, and are looking at getting a cartop carrier to hold extra gear. Anyone have good experiences with a cartop carrier? We do not have a roof rack on the car.

Thanks!
    do an internet search for yakima..or thule...they both have car top carriers....and brackets...but can be pricey...
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    I don't believe that dealers are officially supported for modifying vehicle to add the OEM remote start for vehicles that didn't get the option. Although it would be a heck of a lot easier than adding an aftermarket system ;)

I believe those aftermarket remote start systems actually end up disabling the vehicle's anti-theft system :mad: but I will let someone with more experience with them confirm or correct that.

I also believe one of the changes for 2006 model year will be that all Malibu/Maxx are configured such that dealers WILL be able to enable remote start on a vehicle that didn't order the option but that doesn't help with southcarolina's vehicle :(
  • minn_maxxminn_maxx Member Posts: 51
    Pao,

I have an I-pass transponder for use in Illinois. It's mounted to the right of the rearview mirror just below the black dots. It works great. An additional benefit is that you can't really see it from the driver's seat (it's hidden by the rearview mirror).
  • cropekcropek Member Posts: 1
    A month ago I bought a leftover 2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx LS and I love the car so far. I was planning on buying a 2005 model however the dealer had four 2004 leftovers and was offering a GREAT deal...so I went for the 2004. The only troubling thing I have found so far is that when I hit a good bump or pothole I hear a rattle in the roof...its around the front sunroof area. I was wondering if anyone else experienced the same issue with their Maxx? I took the car back to the dealer last week and they said everything was fine and that the sunroof has a little give to it.

I am debating on taking the car to another dealer before excepting the rattle as a badly designed sunroof......I can learn to live with it.
  • davismaxxdavismaxx Member Posts: 33
    We have the Yakima system which includes special clips that are designed to grip the upper door frame, towers, and cross bars. We then have a Yakima cargo box and a bike rack that goes on the cross bars. It is not cheap, but I don't know of any alternatives. You see these items on e-Bay, but they generally sell for close to retail.

Sears sells cargo boxes too, but I don't know how they attach. Used to be a snap when cars had gutters, but those days are gone.

We just used our rack system on a long trip. I noted that over the course of a week and 2500 miles, the whole thing gradually moved back about 8 inches, despite my having it so tight that it actually dented the door frame a bit. I am going to check with Yakima to see if there is something wrong.
  • davismaxxdavismaxx Member Posts: 33
    I did note a slight drift to the left, and thanks to information on this site I asked the dealer to center the steering using the scan tool. They had never done this before, having sold only a handful of Maxxes. But they followed the service manual instructions, and it came out perfect. I have never driven a car that tracked straighter and truer than this one.

This should be covered under the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty, so I don't know why you'd consider going anywhere but the dealer.
  • townhometownhome Member Posts: 104
    I have just driven my friends '04 Accord again and I realize that three little things are missing from it, but are standard on the Malibu/Maxx:
    1) Auto on/off headlights
    2) Auto door lock/unlock
    3) Electric ignition (is that what it's called? -- where you don't have to keep the key in the start position until it catches, just turn it quickly and it will crank by itself until it starts.)
    These little things are not on the Accord and I find that I was quickly annoyed by their absence. I must note though, that the Accord has a better sounding stereo than the Malibu.
  • rferdrferd Member Posts: 28
    I have one installed on my MAXX in the position they recommend, or as close as possible and have not had any problems. If you have any problems, I can take a picture and post it. If you do want to see it, let me know ASAP since I will be leaving for Florida on Wednesday AM and, of course, I am taking my MAXX. :)
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Those dots are just baked on enamel so they shouldn't interfere at all with signals from EZpass and things like that.

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Mazda Mania Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
    thanks for the responses...wasnt sure if the enamel dots would interfere or not..but will mount mine where minn maxx did..just below the dots...and to the right of the mirror post...that is the alternate position for the ezpass...the rear view mirror hides that position from drivers view.......

rferd...do you have yours mounted over the enamel dots...would love to see a pic..if you can send it email to me.....
    some of us have had that rattle as well..most seem to be from the interior light behind the sunroof...I have a minor one that comes from that area.....I believe someone mentioned the assembly of the light fixture....and how it is attached might come lose...as my old memory serves me..someone took the fixture apart and noted magnets that were glued in had loosen.......if anyone else remember....comment pls!!!
  • skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    I have the Fastpath issued in Massachusettes. I mounted to the right of the mirror and just below the dots. I believe it saved me over an hour between RI and FL. Virginia recently joined the system and will soon be mounting the readers on The Chesapeake bay bridge.
    skyhawk...thanks...seems that the place most have been mounting them...you are the second to confirm the location...that is where mine will go this afternoon

cheers and thanks ;)
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    Yes, Pao, I did have problems with the dome light. It's held to the roof by a magnetic bracket that is not well attached to the light (clips and a tiny bit of glue). One can carefully pull the light off the roof, work it past the headliner, thoroughly reglue the magnet to the dome light body (any good plastic cement works fine), and put it all back together again.
    The dome light lens is also loose in the holder and may make a very minor rattle (will use some silicon rubber to create internal bumpers to get rid of that shortly).
    actually, your rattle, since it is coming from the front of your sunroof, is one of two things:

1. in mine, the assemblers left a hard piece of cardboard behind. It made a thunking noise just to the right of the map light housing.

2. but this is more likely: the metal bar that retracts up and down as the sun roof opens and closes has two springs (one on each side) to help the metal bar pivot. The driver's side spring rattles against the metal bar. If you are having a metalic sounding rattle, this is the cause. Not a big deal; I'll be glooping some grease or something in there once the weather gets warmer. It is much harder to hear when the moon roof cover is closed. To try my theory, open your moon roof cover all the way. Without opening your sun roof, stick your finders into the gap of the forward part of the sun roof and touch the metal bar. You can flex the metal bar up and down with your fingers. Simply touching the metal bar will silence the rattle. Let me know.
  • cjasencjasen Member Posts: 8
    I just got an '05 Maxx and it has a very slight drift to the left. What is the scan procedure you are referring to? Should it apply to an 05?

Thanks,
  • rferdrferd Member Posts: 28
    Pao, mine is about 3 inches under the "dots". Just behind the mirror a little off set to the right. It seems to work very well there. Good luck.

I am off to Florida tomorrow. :)
  • ericw55ericw55 Member Posts: 53
    It does apply to '05s. The TSB # is 04-03-06-001. The Scan tool, I think, is used to calibrate the steering. This is from the TSB:
    "After inspecting the suspension, tires and alignment, and if the vehicle still leads or/pulls, it may be necessary to recalibrate the steering position sensor and torque sensor."
  • michiganmaxxmichiganmaxx Member Posts: 72
    I have exactly the same condition as Maxx4me mentioned in item #2. My short-term fix through the cold months was to place a rolled-up paper napkin in that spot...no more rattle. However, I've had an occasion to use my sunroof once so far and the paper napkin popped out. Surprise, surprise. ;) However, I'm hoping the dealer has a fix for the rattle now that I will have more opportunities to open the sunroof. Anyone have a fix that they have tried? :confuse:
    I was thinking of puting a small strip of felt front tape on the bar at the hinge point. E2helper: any suggestions?
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    sorry, too far out of my area of knowledge :(
  • cjasencjasen Member Posts: 8
    thanks for the info. My drift to the left is very slight, but I will have the dealer look at it at some point.
  • marywilsonmarywilson Member Posts: 16
    I have just rented a Malibu for two week on my vacation, and I think it is a wonderful vehicle. Good gas mileage, about 28 for mix of city and highway in So. California. Good seats, my back is not tired after a day's driving. Good prices, with rebates, it is so much less than Accord and Camry and so on.
    My Honda Accord's lease is up, so I am very interested in purchasing a Maxx.
    I have spent some time reading through most of your posts; can anyone tell me about this steering wheel problem?
    Also, does this pulling to one side or another is common amongst Malibu or Malibu Maxx?
    My rental was fine; its steering wheel was center, and vehicle was going straight.
    Since this is a large purchase for me, any advice is welcome.
    Thanks in advance.
    The TSB applies to both the sedan, and the Maxx. I don't recall any sedan owners writing in about the lead to the left. Anyone? My Maxx pulls slightly to the left, and I am in the process of getting it fixed. My service dept. doesn't seem to like being told what is wrong, by the customer, so it won't get fixed until my next visit. In fairness to them, the TSB does say to check tire pressure, alignment, etc., before zeroing out the steering.
    I love the Maxx. Great ride, good mileage, comfortable. There are some bugs, but they are fixable.
    so how many current Maxx owners would or are considering trading their MAXX...LT/LS on the SS version when released......and if so....why?..just curious
    In my case I notice a little more play than some cars depending on the crown of the road, not just a constant pull to the left. I find my steering much better than I expected--given the Edmunds and C&D reviews. I think the Malibu underwent a series of first year corrections that may be rectified in the 05's.

There are a lot of complaints about the Bridgestone oem tires, it's an odd fitment since the uniform tire rating is much lower for this size than the rest of the line. Oddly enough, I like the tires too. Seem better than the Michelin Energies I got with my Hyundai. Increasing the psi from mid twenties on delivery to 36 has presented no problems and will hopefully increase treadwear and mileage a bit.

The base Maxx is plenty powerful enough for me, and I wouldn't trade power for worse gas mileage. I do like the new front clip a lot better though, hope it becomes standard on the 06's, should result in more sales.

I like this car better and better, very happy I purchased it. :)
    Depends on how much substance the new car has ..vs.. style. 18" wheels and razor thin tires won't last a week on the roads I drive on. And a loud, street smart exhaust will be tiring on long trips.

On other hand, the newer, variable valve timing engine sounds very worthwhile, and if the seats end up better fitting, that's a step up as well.

Any idea if there will be interior colors other than black? Desert sun is murder on black interiors, and the drivers.
    gets a lot of complaints for it's monochrome look. I have the neutral which probably does have a more interesting look, but I'm not that down on the grey either. As a rule give me aluminum over faux wood, although both are not dominant enough to ruin things. Remember when car interiors had many shades including red and blue? I guess that died with vinyl.
    No Deal:
    1. 18 inch tires
    2. gas mileage
    3. skirts prohibiting me from changing my own oil as easily as I do now
    I might have considered it out of the gate, but it wouldn't be worth it, on a trade. I too, am not thrilled with 18" wheels.
    Marywilson, my Maxx has been fine as far as alignment. It has a build date of 2/11/04. Actually, my Maxx has been great regarding pretty much everything. I'm always comparing it to my friends 2004 Accord EX-L, and considering the huge price difference, I would totally buy the Maxx again. Good luck in your decision!
    I'm torn about the SS. I really like the new steering wheel and instrument cluster, as well as the new front end. But I think I'm too old for the 18's and low pro's, as well as the exhaust. I'm not sure about the engine. More power is always fun, but gas mileage that is a lot worse than the 3.4 just wouldn't be worth it.
    Sounds like another toy car for the street cruisers. Sad. If Chevy sells a ton of them, more power to them - it won't be to me.

That upcomming Audi A3 is looking might good, by the way.
  • skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    No interest in a SS. As much as I like the MAXX, I want to go back to a pickup truck.
    .....I looked at the A4 Avanti...but most were in the low to mid 30s.....you are right however.....the A3 does look nice..seems the base model has a MSRP of around 25k and the options loaded model will run around 30-32K.....price wise...I like my Maxx...
  • madmadammadmadam Member Posts: 55
    Hi Marywilson. I purchased my 04 in July. As it is for you, it was a large purchase for me. My first new car in a very long long time (last one was a Cavalier). I've been extremely satisfied and enjoy my MAXX very much. I don't see many of them in my area (Queens, NY). It's a sold, smooth ride, I have no pulling problems, or any problems at all. I love having the roomy interior and there are lots of nice little comfort features for the driver and the passengers. Mine happens to be the basic model with no extras (except floor mats)--I got a great price on it. On this board it seems that people are also very pleased with the 05s.
    My sister recently spent quite a bit more for a 2005 Camry. I had encouraged her to consider a MAXX, but the Camry is her dream car.
    Good luck in deciding--I'm very comfortable recommending the MAXX. Let us know what you decide!
  • dcnutt123dcnutt123 Member Posts: 1
    I disagree - I saw the interior and it definately was an upgrade - they use a gunmetal trim accross the IP and on the switch plates. I also noticed that it was a new black colored interior, definately better and more sporty than the grey.