Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• shellane72shellane72 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my 05 Malibu Max and cannot find out what or how to use the sift up/down option....any clue? (I bought it as used from a dealership that does not sale Chevy's)
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    Well, $1740 is what the going rate is for the on-line GMPP. We can all help you find that company should you desire. It now comes down to whether you want to pay $600 more for the GMPP Major Guard. I researched 3 AM Best A, A- or A+ rated insurance firms before I bought the GMPP. Two of those companies are now out of business, with their policy holders left with no recourse. So it shows that even well rated insurance companies can go out of business. Remember, the GMPP policy starts from the moment you buy it, not at the time you bought the car. GM also allows you to buy the policy at the new car rate up until the first 12 months/12,000 miles. I'm not sure anyone else does that. First make sure you plan on keeping your 'Bu for as long as your warranty will cover. It makes no sense to buy a policy if you frequently switch cars. Good Luck.
  • bender2bender2 Member Posts: 5
    Hello,
    I'm interested in buying the '05 LS. My question is with the rear seats folded down (they do right?)can I fit a bike back there? Thanks.
  • ronbo10ronbo10 Member Posts: 45
    Thanks for the info, Maxx4me. Sounds like I've got a little time to think about it, so I'm not going to jump on anything straight away. I may be in contact with you in the future on this, so thanks for the offer.

Been reading my owner's manual, and I noticed that for those of you who have the DVD (RSE, or rear seat entertainment system), it gives you what amounts to an aux input. You can plug in your ipod or whatever, using a, what is it, a 16th inch pin to RCA, turn the rear unit off, and select with the source button on the radio "RSE enable". Nice feature, though I still wasn't able to convince myself to pay $995 for the unit.

First impressions of the car: very solid, excellent ride, nice torque, great mileage if you're easy on it (got 31 mpg on mix of highway/city). Certainly the finest car I've ever owned (all foreign up to now).
  • prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    I just bought my 05 Malibu Max and cannot find out what or how to use the sift up/down option....any clue? (I bought it as used from a dealership that does not sale Chevy's)

With shift lever in Low (L) position pressing the + and - sides of the switch will cycle through gears 4, 3, 2, and 1. Don't confuse it with manumatic though since this design is dictated by lack of space for 3, 2, 1 on the shift console.
  • meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    Hi e2helper was just curious on the 05 LT with climate control do the air discharge doors work on a vacuum motor as they did in the past or are they electric???
  • dans2dans2 Member Posts: 9
    Just found out the Center Rear Stop Lamp is not replaceable by the consumer. Has to be taken into the dealer who needs to "special order" the entire assembly. Warranty item? I don't know.

Ugh, I thought GM had gotten much better on making those lamps easy to change out.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    All of the actuators for both the manual and automatic climate control systems have electric motors.

BTW there are 3 actuators: 1 for temperature, 1 for "mode" and 1 for air inlet selection (outside air or recirc).
    The Center High Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL) on Malibu uses an LED array on a circuit board so there is not a servicable bulb in it. The life on an LED is supposed to be much longer than an incandescent bulb.

Why did the dealer decide to replace the CHMSL? Did it seem to be inoperative? If so, were you getting a Service Vehicle Soon indicator on instrument cluster? Because if you were.....well I'll stop there for now ;)
    Nice explanation prdm :)

BTW the 2004 Malibu only allows cycling between L3, L2, L1 which makes a whole lot more sense when you understand the reason for it.

shellane - did you get an owner manual with your vehicle? If not you could register your vehicle with www.mygmlink.com and download an electronic copy.
  • maxx10maxx10 Member Posts: 16
    One of the nice things about this car is that the seats do let down. I have put my bike in the back many times. It's a very versatile vehicle. I just wish I wasnt having so many problems with mine.
    -BTW the 2004 Malibu only allows cycling between L3, L2, L1 which makes a whole lot more sense when you understand the reason for it.-

I haven't actually tried any of this but was quoting from the Maxx's supplemental manual which mentions gear 4; maybe for the '05 model year?
  • dans2dans2 Member Posts: 9
    The CHMSL was not working. The Jiffy Lube guys noticed it when I brought my car in for an oil change. It didn't trigger any service lights.
  • medinamalibumedinamalibu Member Posts: 71
    Maxx's supplemental manual which mentions gear 4; maybe for the '05 model year?

I own a 2005, and I can shift through all 4 gears in L.
  • hgr3inokhgr3inok Member Posts: 28
    My wife and I drove her 2004 Maxx LS from Norman, OK to Raleigh, NC (and back) two weeks ago. The total trip was ~2200 miles. We averaged right at 30mpg (actual, not DIC) for the trip.

The right rear seat-back release handle had to be replaced after 8 months, and I'm not sure the replacement part will hold up any longer. Other than that, the car has been trouble free. However, at the rate we are putting on miles, we may need to modify our GM Major Guard plan (72 months/72,000 miles). We had been averaging >500 miles per month on my wife's previous car.

I got a close look at a 2006 Maxx recently. I think almost everyone will agree that the new grill is a definite improvement. I hope whoever decided to put the "truck" front fascia on the 2004s has been appropriately reprimanded. It appears that the headlights and hood for the 2004, 2005 and 2006 are identical, so one should be able to fit the new front fascia to the earlier models. I also noticed some minor decontenting on the cloth interior of the 2006. There was no pocket on the front edge of the driver's seat nor on the left side of the front passenger's seatback.

IMHO, the Maxx is one of the best designs GM has every produced and the most versatile sedan currently available in the U.S. Honda, Toyota and Nissan currently offer no direct competitors to the Maxx. Now if GM would just do a Buick version ... :)
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    oops...you are right..was looking at the 84/84 plan...and looking at the wrong number for the 200 ded.....which was 2025..but his discount price was 1585.....so my mistake..ugh
    you arent doing bad at all on mileage.....grin...had mine since March 04...and already have over 52K on my Maxx..still going strong!!
  • hgr3inokhgr3inok Member Posts: 28
    CORRECTION: We had been averaging less than 500 miles per month on my wife's previous car.
    I've seen a lot of Maxx's in our area lately pao. I really like the look of the car at night when driving behind one. I only wish GM had made all 4 rear lights brake lights like VW did on the Passat (say that 4 times fast). It is such a treat to drive this car. It will be even more so when I get some H rated tires on it next year. I won't consider abandoning the OEMs unless I have a really bad time with them this winter. My Maxx is about to turn 20k. I've seen lots of deer eyeing my car this month, but have avoided picking up any "hitchhikers" so far this year.
  • maxxlibertymaxxliberty Member Posts: 82
    From e2helper: "BTW the 2004 Malibu only allows cycling between L3, L2, L1 which makes a whole lot more sense when you understand the reason for it."

I'll have to disagree on this one. Being able to shift electornically through all the gears makes the process more like a manumatic and less confusing than having to go back and forth shifting the lever and/or pushing the side button. My Maxx is a 2004 and I don't like the convoluted manual shifting.
    i agree on the rear tail lights..got the opportunity to drive behind mine the other night..picked up a rental car for a business trip...and was amazed at how bright the rear deck LED and the standard lens tail lights were at night..braking...but like you wishing they all lit up......so no deer this year uh......

Ive got a few minor road warrior dinks now..but hey...52k cant complain...am dissappointed in the windshield though...as it seems easily pitted by your standard road debris.....and I didnt manage to scratch the window with the windshield wipers as well....but it is not in the line of sight......but still amazed at how "soft" the glass seems to be...otherwise...still ticking off the miles....back on my OEM tires, 17inch rims in garage for the winter......so 30K on them..now about 22K on the OEM tires..and they are wearing nicely.....
  • bhw77bhw77 Member Posts: 101
    Anyone is looking for good deal on MAXX?
    http://www.quirkcars.com/specials/chevy/ad.htm
    I bought my one there a year ago and I guess I am buying one for my kids godmother (she pays anyway)..
  • bhw77bhw77 Member Posts: 101
    pao:
    Who is offering 84/84 - I could not find this plan anythere. Could you give me a link?
    bhw77: there is no such thing as an 84/84.
    pao: sorry about your windshield. At 19k, I have not noticed the pitting issue. However, I have noticed it on my Vibe and the lense covers on the Vibe. After only 3 years, the paint and glass is so bad that I wish I could throw away the whole exterior. I sure hope the Maxx holds up better!
    bhw77...my mistake on the warranty...didnt look close enough on a perferred dealer who offers them..sorry

maxx4me...well over 52K on my maxx..so that almost 3 plus years of regular driving in less than 18 months..but am disappointed in the windshield....lens covers are doing fine...no pitting..no hazing...etc....have a 96 Bronco with 163K on it..and the windshield looks better than in my maxx.....only really noticeable during a sunny day driving directly into the sun..otherwise..tolerable...

paint holding up..event the repair portion...so cant complain....didnt get it the front end aligned when I place the OEM rims back on the maxx..but otherwise..no problems....and back to getting 32 plus on the highway andn around 27-28 in town....so still enjoying it
    Lessee...Really like the black dash with 2 tone interior. The radio looks better integrated this way, imho. The steering wheel is a big improvement as well. The cruise control works very well, with a few taps giving you a few mph, smoothly and accurately. My V-dub just about floors it and puts you back in your seat for a 1 mph increase (and you can't decrease it, only turn it off and reset- what genius thought of that one?). The radio sounds quite nice, though I find myself running the bass at less than center position, or it can be boomy (who listens with "rock" auto tone selected? The bass will drive you insane! 'Course, never understood how young folks can listen to 1000 watt sub woofers in their Suzuki Swifts either). Love the XM, though I'm disappointed that the song info (i.e. title, artist) doesn't scroll, but will only show what can fit on the screen. If the info takes more characters than the screen has, you're left to guessing.

No aux input, but I knew that...the fact that there is a source button on the radio (for selecting the audio portion of what's playing on the DVD player on those Maxxes equipped with the rear passenger entertainment system) has me wondering if you could do a simple hook up (with the proper connector) for an iPod type device. MP3 My Car makes a device called the Neo that uses the plug input of OEM car radios used for controlling an external CD changer (Malibus are not so equipped). So you'd be without control of your iPod via your steering wheel buttons (which is one of the pluses claimed by the maker of the Neo. This however means that each Neo unit must be designed for a specific application, and so this gadget isn't offered for that many models, and most of them are foreign at that). I emailed these folks, but no response from them yet...

Otherwise, typical likes...great ride, nice and quiet, no squeaks or rattles (well, it's got only about 400 miles on it). Incidentally, the 50 series tires don't seem unduly firm riding to me.

I think the engine sounds fine. Maybe not a sewing machine, but not 'coarse' as so many reviewers seem to like to describe it. And very torquey. Transmission a good match for the engine, and the shifts are for the most part seemless. Far better than my wife's CRV, which clunks as you add power from rolling a stop sign, and lurches slightly on each upshift. The Maxx has a nice, firm brake pedal feel. Haven't tried a maximum brake effort. Steering is very light, but yeah, maybe a bit lacking in feel. But the steering of my wife's CRV is kind of heavy, and a bit lacking in feel. I like mine better. Lights are fine (high beam and low). I like the auto turn-on/turn-off feature. Likewise auto dim of rear view mirror (only available on LTZ or if Comfort/Convenience group is ordered on other models).

With my mirrors properly adjusted (seems that maybe many people are not doing this correctly), I can see the tail end of a car in the adjacent lane with my rear view mirror while seeing the nose of him in my side mirror. So no blind spot. Rule of thumb is that if you can see the side of your car with your side mirror while centered in your seat, then you're going to have a blind spot. It needs to be adjusted outwardly. People like the warm and fuzzy feeling of seeing the side of their car, I guess figuring that if they can see that, then they can see what ever's beside them. But it doesn't work that way. I realize you all know this, but I just had to get that off my chest. So anyway, complaints of the Maxx having blind spots are only partially valid. Yes, it does have a somewhat thick C-pillar, but that I can work around.

I do wish that the rear parcel shelf lifted up with the lift gate. It seems to me that this could be designed in without loosing its versatility. As it is it makes access to the storage area difficult with the shelf in the top position. Can't imainge the middle position being that useful. So I just leave it flipped over in its lowest position.

The rear lift gate sounds solid when it's shut firmly, but a weak attempt will have it closing only partially, while making a little chirping sound. I'm not sure what's making the noise, but I'll look into it when it's not raining. Do the lift gates of any of your Maxxes make a similar sound?

My wife loves the open feeling of the car when the sun shades are retracted and the sunroof shade is pushed back. It is nice, if I do say so.

So overall, I'm very happy with my purchase, and am pleased with the fit, finish, materials and driving experience of the car. Good mileage too (so far 26.5, with many cold remote starts so baby can be warm). Makes me wonder how much better can the next generation Malibu can be?
  • redmaxxredmaxx Member Posts: 627
    I realize you all know this, but I just had to get that off my chest. So anyway, complaints of the Maxx having blind spots are only partially valid. Yes, it does have a somewhat thick C-pillar, but that I can work around.

Driving down the road there is no blind spot, but try backing out of a spot and it can be awful. If you turn around and look back, there is no way to see out the driver's side of the car. It is even worse if there is an SUV parked next to you. Its like backing out blind. I've nearly hit a few cars because of this blind spot.
    The radio sounds quite nice, though I find myself running the bass at less than center position, or it can be boomy (who listens with "rock" auto tone selected? The bass will drive you insane! 'Course, never understood how young folks can listen to 1000 watt sub woofers in their Suzuki Swifts either).

I completely agree. One of the nicer sounding stereos in cars IMO. Problem I have is my radio always resets itself to the Jazz preset which has lots of bass. :mad:
    It's just the latch strking the catch (kind of squeaks when moving the gate up and down lightly right as it's about to shut. Doubt there's anything that can be done about that...)

Now that you mention it redmaxx, I do feel a little uncertain as I back out of a space with cars on both sides.

BTW, can anyone explain to me exactly how that cargo net is supposed to be installed? There's a brief mention of it in the owner's manual, but no diagrams. Seems pretty useless so far.
    There are some molded-in nubins in the plastic just behind the rear seatbacks when they're upright and as you noted pretty useless.

When I first discovered proper mirror alignment I too was thrilled with how much better multi-lane highway driving became.
    my radio always resets itself to the Jazz preset
    Have you tried resaving your radio presets using whatever equalization setting your prefer?
    the fact that there is a source button on the radio (for selecting the audio portion of what's playing on the DVD player

The XM receiver, DVD player and OnStar all use aux audio inputs on the Malibu radio to play thru the speakers but all of those devices communicate over a serial data bus for "audio arbitration". The Malibu uses "GMLAN" serial data network which is somewhat new so likely not as much aftermarket stuff out there as with Class 2 but we are into the 3rd year of Malibus now and many more GM vehicles are using it (there is now even a second generation of it starting with new Impala and DTS - it isn't compatible with version in Malibu!)
    Resaving? We've probably gone over this before but can you refresh my memory?
    Press the preset you want. Press the Auto Tone button until you get to the equalization setting you want. The press and hold the preset button again until you hear a beep.

You would need to do this for each preset.
  • princess4princess4 Member Posts: 10
    the mesh net goes back behind the rear sets so nothing falls through this onto the floor....you can hook them up easily. Mine works great...
    I love my new 2005 red Malibu Maxx except that I can not stop the bad smells from coming into the car unless I have the fan in the off position. I had a Villager Mini van and could close this off without turning off the heat. Can anyone add to this?
    Use recirculation mode. Press left side of button to turn it on (default is outside air mode). You will not be allowed to select recirculation mode when you are in defrost or defog mode because recirculation of inside air can cause windows to fog up

From owner's manual
    "...This mode is helpful when you are trying to limit odors from entering your vehicle.."
    Thanks for the info e2helper. Interesting. And it correlates with what "MP3 Your Car" told me in an email:

"Thank you for your interest in the *Neo iOn *iPod car integration kit. Unfortunately, the Neo iOn is currently not compatible with your vehicle’s stereo. Compatibility with additional radios is presently in development and we look forward to having an iPod car integration kit
    for your radio very soon."

I haven't confirmed this, but it sounds as though these Neo units will be iPod specific (i.e. they won't work with other digital audio players). In which case that my make the decision for me as to which d.a.p. to buy.

I'll update once the Neo becomes available for the Malibu (they said they would notify me when it does). Perhaps the market for these type devices will close up as aux inputs become standard equipment on virtually every car.
    Hi all. Ever since I have had my 05 LT Maxx I noticed the trip odo both A & B would reset themselves, I use to think I was doing it by accident when resetting one of them. This week I finally found out that they are resetting themselves at 2000Kms after that they start over. Is this a glitch or a design feature, and if so why????

Thanks
    Hmm,

Not sure how much room is allowed for trip odometer calcualtion. I will see if I can find out.

I know with older vehicles using a mechanical trip odometer they were limited - although I forgot what was typical.
  • maddmaxxmaddmaxx Member Posts: 81
    After 15 months I now have 58000 miles on the Maxx and so far pretty good. I just replaced the factory tires as they were getting pretty bald. The rear hatch struts failed and my drivers visors is not holding in the up position. I am getting a clunk in the front end normally when making a turn, but sometimes starting from a stop light. It also seems my temp is holding closer to the red zone. Any similar experiences out there? I really enjoy the car.
    My recirculation putton can not be active unless fan is off, it won't work when the heat is on only when all is off, is mine broke?. When I do press this button the light blinks 3 times or the air conditioning goes on? Help!
    I don't think it it broke - Likely you have mode in the defog or defrost setting which is why recircultation is not allowed (and you get the 3 light blinks). Under that condition you wouldn't be able to select recirc so I guess fan off is your only choice.

Just to confirm this....

Do you have a Maxx LT with automatic climate control or a model with manual climate control?

What position do you have the knob on far right in?

On the manual system that knob has 5 major positions - the last 2 clockwise positions are defog and defrost postions which will blow air on the windshield which is when recirculation mode is not allowed.

Auto system is pretty similar from a mode standpoint it just has a 6th postion for Auto Mode.
    Ok I looked into it further and it is operating per design. When in metric mode the trip odometers will reset after 1999.9 KM is exceeded. Interestingly enough if you have it in english mode the trip odometers will reset after 999.9 miles is exceeded (a lesser value).

As to why - Likely it is trying to mimic old mechanical trip odometers which I think only went up to 999.9. The metric point chosen was probably just a convenient value to choose.

Nice observation :)
    I tried to operate the recirculation in all modes today and nothing worked except to turn the fan completely off. Is mine broken. I don't have climate control I have manual. Please help.
    Thanks e2helper. Kinda makes having 2 trip meters useless as you might want to have it set for between oil changes or tire rotations, or even for a long trip and one keeps track of miles per tank and the other for total miles, which is what I thought it was for. Oh well,, I don't imagine there is any way to change the max miles???
    If I hear more details on rationale next week and get something I can pass along, I will.

No, there is no way that you or dealer can modify the max miles the trip odometer will display.
    Hi - So you are saying that if you have fan in "1", the mode in VENT (full counter-clockwise) and you push on the left side of the Recirc/Outside Air switch for Recirc Mode that the indicator STILL flashes 3 times at you?

If that is the case then I would have to say that, Yes, your control head doesn't sound like it is working correctly and you should take to the dealer for evalation.
  • ericw55ericw55 Member Posts: 53
    On behalf of myself, and many others that he has helped:
    Thank you E2. (And all of the other extremely knowledgeable forum members).
    Thanks for all the help. I will call the dealer and ask them to look into this. I tried this in all modes and nothing unless its off. Thanks again