Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• Options
    maxxolivermaxxoliver Member Posts: 78
    Did you ever find out what "check dab" stands for? I used to get that on the first Maxx we owned and never found out.
  • Options
    nymaxxnymaxx Member Posts: 30
    FWIW my Maxx LS has given me 14 months of trouble free service. The only time it's been back was for a brake recall, and for oil changes. The car is rock solid, drives like a dream and is both comfortable and safe.

My other car is an '05 Accord which is inferior in almost every respect despite its much higher sticker.
  • Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    DAB = Digital Audio Band (i.e., XM). This message indicates that the radio thinks that it has lost communication with the XM receiver (which is a different electronic module). Dealers have a PI with recommendations if they see a vehicle with this complaint.
  • Options
    Thanks e2 for all your help
  • Options
    comaxxcomaxx Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I thought it had something to do with the XM radio. I was getting random error tones (you know, the beep-beep-beeps you hear when the tailgate is ajar) every few minutes, but there were no error messages on the display except for one brief "check DAB." The next time I started the car, I saw a message that said something like "Loading XM," so it must have self-corrected.
  • Options
    michiganmaxxmichiganmaxx Member Posts: 72
    Just an update on my great '04 Maxx. I just got back from a 1,700 mile round trip from Michigan via Ontario, Canada, to Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Great ride with driver and passenger and luggage and miscellaneous items. Averaged just over 30 MPG with average speed around 70- 75 MPH. I spent 7 - 9 hours per day behind the wheel with total comfort for the whole driving time. Still love this car!
  • Options
    princess4princess4 Member Posts: 10
    Would like to know if I should get the deflector installed. Have many questions, 1 being does this deflector have drainage holes when parked on a hill, does the water back up and in the winter freeze? Could someone comment on this fo me. I am scheduled to get this put on in a week and am changing my mind....
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    the deflector simply mounts on the leading edge of the roof line ahead of the sunroof...it is held down via two clamps on the rim of the opening of the sunroof.a rubber gasket makes the contact wtih the roofline..and the clamps simply screwdown with a slight pressure holding it in place...there is no need for drainage...as mine never collects water under the deflector..if you are parking on a hill facing down...Im sure there will be some collection of water under the deflector if it rains....but I would think it would be an issue..even if it freezes.....just my opinion.....mine has been through one winter already.....and I had no problem with it at all..If you want to see a pic of it installed...go here http://home.att.net/~p.oswald/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

and click thru the photos
  • Options
    jw1127jw1127 Member Posts: 6
    Just had the wind deflector installed on Monday. My main complaint about it is that it is too big! It seems to cover up about 1/3 of the opening. The wind noise is much less with it on though.

I'm still undecided if I will keep it on or not. I miss the "open" feeling that I feel I lost with the deflector. But I enjoy having the sunroof open much more with it on.
  • Options
    sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    I had the dealer install the deflector on my 04 Maxx LS. I noticed when I wash the car, the water does puddle up in one corner on side of car closest to the curb. However, the water drains into the car at the point where the small retaining clips are attached to opening. The window seals near the two retaining clips are not as tight as they would be without the deflector installed. The sunroof on the Malibu has a system of channels and hoses that catch and drain any water that gets past the seals to the outside of the car. Water does get past the seals even without the deflectors.

I'm having second thought's about the deflector also. It does decrease the wind noise. However, I agree with other posters, it's too wide and covers too much of the opening. The deflector also keeps the wind from blowing water off the glass. I can't open window all the way after a rain or when car is covered with dew in morning. If I do, the water drips into the car on me and the seats. Lately I have also noticed a wind whistling noise which appears to be coming from the sunroof near those retaining clips when the sunroof is closed all the way.

I will be removing the deflector during the winter to make it easier to clear snow from the roof. My car stays outside.
  • Options
    Thanks for the many responses to the wind deflector, as I am new to this site. I just purchased a new 2005 Malibu Maxx in red and I love this car. Its so nice to drive,( I had a 93 Villager Mini Van), and its so good on gas! I am cancelling the installation of the deflector mainly because I do live on a hill and am so afraid the water will freeze and crack something. The dealer will be upset I am sure as he special ordered this for me. But oh well we need to be happy. Thanks again....
  • Options
    I bought my wind deflector after market before the TSB was released...all are designed the same...some use the 3M tape to seal to the roof.....and those tend to be a little smaller....and the others with the clamp...tend to be larger..and do cover a larger portion of the front sunroof when open...guess the trade off is the increased wind noise of a little more open to the road feeling....For rain..I generally tilt the roof for a while to let it run forward...then after a few miles...open it fully sliding it back...of course..having owned several convertibles..I always care a small towel in the back floor board..I simply run it over the leading edge of the sunroof when it is open..to avoid the drips......just a habit of mine.....you might want to look around to see if a smaller one is available.....I honestly dont beleive you will have a problem with water freezing under the deflector and damaging anything....
  • Options
    oldster1oldster1 Member Posts: 9
    Have had my MAXX for ~1K mi. Have excessive popping and crinkling noises from exhaust region when idling at a light, under power demand (climbing a hill) or after shutting it down. Anyone else with this problem? Any fixes? Dealer says it is normal and just continue to drive it (I don't agree---it is not getting better with time).
  • Options
    have you got any power loss...might be undercoating or something burning off the system....have you looked under the car.....anything loose?..now you say exhaust region...is that the headers, the catalytic converter..muffler ...where are you referring too???
  • Options
    No power loss; nothing burning off; nothing loose. Noise is as far upstream as the headers and is thru converter and out to the tailpipe.
  • Options
    sounds like it is just reacting under heat.....and when cooling down...havent noticed it with my 04 Maxx through 46k....
  • Options
    starpop1starpop1 Member Posts: 10
    My 2005 MAXX LS has only 900 miles on it, and I am also hearing the same noises. I don't notice them once the car is fully warmed up. I concluded it must be caused by the exhaust system parts heating and cooling and decided not to worry about it. Didn't even mention it last night when someone from Chevrolet called to ask me how the car is doing and if there were any problems. I don't want to jinx myself, but I really like this car.

Peter
  • Options
    beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    I occasionally hear some of the noises you describe right after shutdown, especially inside my garage, but never while driving. And I wouldn't describe them as excessive, compared to other cars I've owned.

How about loose heat shields? Have you had that checked?

Good luck. :)
  • Options
    I also hear noises but fiquered it must me because the car is new (675) miles on mine, and my friend said it was nothing but the pipes heating up and cooling down?
  • Options
    My MAXX seems to run hot. Temp gauge needle is typically between half and 3/4 of the full reading value---engine smells hot. Cooling fan will come on when it gets very close to the 3/4 or red value. What is the typical gauge reading for other readers?
  • Options
    michiganmaxxmichiganmaxx Member Posts: 72
    Mine has never gone above the mid-point even on the 90 degrees days we had during the summer here in Michigan. I have also traveled east and west to other states with the same "mid-point" setting. Are you in one of the states in the southern part of the U.S.?
  • Options
    mine is normally on the halfway mark..however in rush hour traffic in northern va...is will edge up to the level you describe.....cooling fan kicks in and no problems yet....with 46.5K on my 04 Maxx
  • Options
    beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    What is the typical gauge reading for other readers?

The highest mine has ever gone was just a needle width -- barely -- above the midpoint, and that was on a 90+ degree day stuck in slow-moving traffic. Otherwise it has been remarkably consistent, pegged right on the midpoint mark.
  • Options
    occmaxxoccmaxx Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Malibu Maxx. I was just wondering if there is a way to get XM title or artist to scroll, so I can see everything. The Radio in FM mode scrolls the title and artist.
  • Options
    I don't believe so, you can get it to display artist or title by setting that as you default though. The reason the radio in FM mode shows different stuff is because the radio station equipment is varying the text it sends to your radio.
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    that indeed is normal for this car. I had to shut my eyes when it first started happening since I too am not used to it so close to the red zone. However, the drivers around me didn't appreciate this tactic, so I'm back to driving with my eyes open.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    :D - good decision - :P
  • Options
    occmaxxoccmaxx Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your help. It is just strange that in my parents car, with XM, theirs scroll. My portable scrolls, but i just can't figure out why the malibu maxx xm will not. If I ever find out who makes the radio in the car. I will contact them to ask why, thank you again for your feedback.
  • Options
    redmaxxredmaxx Member Posts: 627
    In the summer mine regularly goes a tiny bit over normal and about half-way between mid and 3/4 when stuck in traffic. Any time it goes over normal it starts to idle roughly.
  • Options
    I noticed that when I had XM radio, it scrolled a few times, but not often at all.
  • Options
    referencereference Member Posts: 2
    Just wondering if any other Maxx owners have noticed a slightly rough idle in drive when not using the air conditioning?Mine has done it from day one and the dealer says that is normal for this model.I've owned numerous GM cars with this engine family over the past fifteen years and all those purred like a kitten while in idle.
    Wondering, too, if anyone else has been recalled for a loose engine harmonic balancer attachment bolt in our Mexican made engines.Mine has.
    Other than these issues I love the car.Mine is a 05 LS.
  • Options
    Delphi makes the radio
  • Options
    blucheezblucheez Member Posts: 9
    Still haven't seen the new SS, but i saw a couple of 2006 Maxx LT's on the road this weekend and they look good. The front end looks slimmer somehow and makes the car not look quite so big.

No one in the area has the SS yet so I've been checking for reviews in all the car magazines. They all mention it but they obviously are writing from press releases and not actual road tests. Muscle Car magazine even went so far to say that they didn't understand why it exists, and that it's for "dads who want to prove they have a last shred of masculinity by getting a car with an SS badge." First, since when does being a father make you emaculated? Doesn't making a baby prove you're a man? And second, what's with all this fetishising the SS badge? Just cause the car doesn't have a 454 big block and wrap itself around trees when trying to take a curve doesn't mean it can't be designated Super Sport. I guess they think it should be refered to as a Z? Like the Z-24 of the 90's? Isn't SS just the equivalent of a GT. These are probably the same guys who think that the new Charger is bad because it has 4 doors.

Just when I started thinking that the Maxx SS would look really cool in white (I had originally dismissed it as lloking like a rental car), it looks like it's not offered in white. The Chevy web site has the option dimmed in the build section, and other sites don't have it listed. What's up? Is it only available in certain areas of the country? Weird.

Here's a photoshop rendering I made of the Maxx SS in white and black.

What does Chevy have against a basic red?

And remember that weird purple/burgundy color they used to make the 80's Monte Carlo SS in? We'll probably look at "Lazer Blue Metalic" with the same nostalgia in 20 years.

• Options
    I have an 04 Maxx LT..and have had the slight rough idle since day one...reflash of the PCM helped some..but didnt totally eliminate it.....Ive just gotten use to it now...and dont even notice it.....didnt have a recall for that yet....just checked mygmlink....and doesnt show it listed for the 04...at least yet....
  • Options
    minn_maxxminn_maxx Member Posts: 51
    I too have rough idle (2004 Maxx) even after a PCM reflash. Seems to be normal, but is annoying. I figure it is just the PCM making the mixture as lean as possible to reduce emissions. The engineers got the program a bit too close to the limit, IMHO.
  • Options
    minn_maxxminn_maxx Member Posts: 51
    Has anyone noticed small oil leaks from the back of their engines? It seems I have a little oil leaking past the rear main seal or back of the oil pan on my 2004 Maxx (between engine and transmission). It's not enough to drip on the ground, just enough to wet the end of the oil pan. Is this normal?
  • Options
    I've got the rough idle too. It happens with or without the A/C. Also, once or twice a week it will idle really roughly. Not sure of the conditions when it does this though.
  • Options
    We had this with our 04 Maxx it was the intake maniflod gasket, had it replaced at 6300 and the problem resurfaced again at 15000.
  • Options
    I'm going to have to take a look. My car has oil seeping out on the passenger side. The dealership cleaned it off but it is seeping again. I'm going to bring it up with the service manager again.
  • Options
    kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    my '04 Maxx also occasionally idles roughly, usually when it is warm. If the AC is on, it idles fine. It has supposedly had its PCM updated.

As for the SS Maxx, the better engine is nice, but the black-only interior is a deal breaker. Black interiors are murder in S. Calif as they get excessively hot to touch, and outgas like mad (fogging the windows in a matter of hours).
    When will USA car mfrs tune into the German vibe and ofter performance cars with something other than __black__ interiors??
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    The tech @ Wally World noted a leak on the first oil change. Nothing on floor and the oil isn't dropping at all after 6000 miles. Will ask the dealer when I take it in for a recall and oil change.

I'm also going to get the tires rotated, I was afraid to go to anyone but the dealer since I'd heard complaints of warping rotors if an impact wrench is used. I believe there was some mention of this a bit back on this forum but I haven't heard many comments on this board in months. Are others able to rotate tires without problems?
  • Options
    I have had tires rotated at NTB without problem.....your dealer will use an impact wrench as well to remove the lugs....as with any tire....a good installer should tighten the bolts with a crossing pattern...alternating the sides of the rim to ensure a constant even pressure...still knocking on wood..no problems with rotors, seals, pulling right, steering column..etc...and just passed through 47k this morning on the commute in!!!
  • Options
    meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    My 05 LT has had a periodic rough idle since new. Much less noticeable when the AC is on, probably because the ECM bumps up the idle a little for the AC
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    ".....afraid to go to anybody but the dealer..." Hey, that's funny!!!

That is why I rotate my own tires. It was some genius at GM who torqued them too tightly in the first place that has caused all our problems. I sure hope someone out there is working on an aftermarket rotor which won't warp at the first 90 degree day!
  • Options
    blucheezblucheez Member Posts: 9
    Finally, a review of the SS, although they don't say too much that's SS specific. Where's the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times? It sound like the steering is a little off, but I thought it didn't use the electronic assist. Yes, why no 5 speed?

Maxx SS Review from Washington Times
  • Options
    kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    since it seems most dealers are not very careful about it.
    I've noticed the bad brake shake my Maxx had has diminished since I retorqued my wheels, which I found were badly torqued (some lugs 50 psi, other lugs 120 psi...they should be 100 psi according to the manual).
  • Options
    juswheelsjuswheels Member Posts: 42
    This past weekend, took our new 2005 Maxx (Purchased in June) on a 5 day road trip into New Hampshire. On the way home we had to take the long way around because so many roads had been washed out by last Saturdays 10 plus inches of rain.

On the interstate, on the way home, I came up behind a double semi and was within a second or two of passing when all of the back tires on the semi "Lit-up" as the driver locked his brakes. I climbed on the Maxx's brakes (Hard - Very Hard) and kept it straight without any skid or difficulty. All this at about 65 or 70 , on roads that were still a little wet from all the rain. Turned out the problem was caused by a white van, directly in front of the semi, hitting the guard rails and spinning directly in front of the semi. Of course being right behind the semi, I couldn't see any of this until after it happened. Anyway - Thanks Chevy - GREAT BRAKES - GREAT HANDLING - After, I did have to open the windows to get the smell of burnt rubber, from the semi's tires, out of the car.

As an added bonus - Drove between 800 and 900 miles and got 32.8 MPG for the weekend :)
  • Options
    wtb1968wtb1968 Member Posts: 4
    Any suggestions regarding buying 2004 Malibu Maxx LT DEMO with over 10k miles from a dealer? Sounds from these threads that most are happy with their purchase. Just some of the postings re: overheating, rough idle and vibration, gasket and/or other leakage, cosemetic problems on sunroofs...Also, if there have been any recalls the dealer should have already corrected it, right?

Lastly, I thought it odd that the dealer has three of these 2004 Maxx LT Demos on hand...just hoping they are not from New Orleans or maybe I missed something.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.
  • Options
    kmaurerkmaurer Member Posts: 48
    My only suggestion is to find out the build date (it's on the driver's side door). Try to find a build date after February 2004 - that is when the electric power steering problem was fixed. (Or so my dealer says). I have a 2004 LS (April 2004 build date) that I have enjoyed thoroughly - I haven't had any problems with the car yet.
  • Options
    concur with a Feb 04 build date or later....the electric steer column as the big issue....you have hit the others...minor......for the most part I think the Maxx owners on this board are happy with their car...you always here about the problem cars more than the trouble free ones.........04 Maxx LT fully loaded here...47K and no problems at all with mine.....

If they offer the full remaining factory warranty....shouldnt be a problem with the cars....