Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• Options
    kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    This may sound utterly dumb but I am curious as to how hard it would be to change the Final Drive ration of a Malibu Maxx SS down to something more like the other Maxxes.

Reason is to moderate the Jack Rabbit starts and improve the fuel economy, while retaining most of the SS engines' advantages.

Is this fairly simple or are we talking ___major__ surgery here?
  • Options
    gradydixongradydixon Member Posts: 1
    It is a white 2005 LS V6 with XM Radio, remote start, power seats. It has never been owned, so it has only 70 miles on it (not 70k). I think I am getting a pretty good deal, but I would love some feedback.

I am trading in a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo that is worth $4500 due to high mileage and problems with AC, power locks, etc. After trade, I am paying $11,750 including TTL, etc. In my state, that should be ~$800.

So, I am essentially paying $15,500 for a new Maxx. According to KBB, that is equivalent to the private party value.

Anybody have any thoughts?
  • Options
    maxxolivermaxxoliver Member Posts: 78
    I think it sounds like you are getting a good deal. I personally would go for it. I have an 05 Maxx LT fully loaded and I would not trade it for anything. I really love this car. I had an 04 that was bought back due to a lot of problems with the first year build. however my 05 is fantastic. Best of luck.
  • Options
    kiltmankiltman Member Posts: 67
    Overall I think it is a good deal. Depending on the dealership you may be able to go a little lower. Keep in mind, the '07's start production either last week or next week, so they need to move the old inventory. I myself bought a new, '05 maxx LT last month, dvd, xm, onstar, sunroof..sticker of $28,300, paid around $18,300 for it (plus what I owed on my lease, and TTL) Hope this helps
  • Options
    beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    This is probably too late to help you with your decision, but I just wanted to say that it sounds like a good deal to me. But then, I've been away from the market for a while, having bought my 04 Maxx LS brand new in Aug. 04.

Anyway...I love mine, with over 22,200 miles on it now. There were a few glitches, but I have a great dealer service department to rely on. I love the power, fuel economy, space, quiet and smoothness. Good luck, hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    sounds like a decent deal to me....my was bought new in 04...LT fully loaded just like yours...about to roll 70K on mine..and love it still..no major problems.....just oil changes and tires....
  • Options
    madmaxx1madmaxx1 Member Posts: 4
    Just got my 06 Maxx SS on Sat. I'm lovin it. Just coming back to American cars after many years of import driving. I hope I wont be disappointed, I drive alot ( 20-30k per year) But the car is awsome and pretty fast.
  • Options
    So what kind of mileage, madmaxx1, are you getting from the SS? How's the ride? How's the turning circle? Will appreciate any info you have about it.

I'm considering an SS next time around ..vs.. the Audi A3 Quattro (latter has AWD and "IMAGE", but costs almost twice as much, no weekend service, and issues with DSG, dying dash modules, etc.). One reason is the traction control of the SS is heaps better than the other 'bu's (actually brakes the spinning wheel). May make the move in late '06/early '07.
  • Options
    madmaxx1madmaxx1 Member Posts: 4
    I get slightly better milage out of the Maxx then the Subaru Forester that I just had. But the Maxx is loads of fun to drive. The turning radius is alot bigger on the maxx.

I wouldnt go for an Audi, as much as I fear poor quality in a GM product I think Audi is worse.
    The SS is fully loaded and the on-star vehicle diagnosis is pretty cool. The engine is very spireted and just wants you to push harder. I expected sloppy handling in the Maxx after my Subaru but thats definately not the case. It loves turns and curves. The low profile tires grip tight and wont let go. Once again loads of fun.
  • Options
    skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    It looks like Buick will come out with an Enclave sometime in 07 and call it an 08. It looks like a hatchback and may have 3 rows of seats.
    Chevy spent more time advertising the number of new vehicles introduced than they did advertising them. I don't believe the advertising was there for the Maxx.
  • Options
    Some forums suggest the Elclave is another variant of the Outlook.
  • Options
    butthe price of that beast will be in the mid 30s from what I have seen..fully loaded it will push 40....not the same price range as the Maxx
  • Options
    maxxindmaxxind Member Posts: 22
    Had not seen Madmaxx's post when I typed mine.
  • Options
    joyrider147joyrider147 Member Posts: 69
    Yes. Close the two lower center dash vents by using the louvers on them, then open the thumbwheel. Then the rear vents will work.
  • Options
    meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    For the last couple of months, I have been hearing a louder engine drone (for lack of a better word) And I have narrowed it down to happening between 1900 and 2100 rpm. It doesn't sound bad it's just the same engine noise I get all the time, which ain't much, just about 25% louder. I am sure it's the engine as it doesn't matter what gear it is in when it gets to 1900 it starts and when it pases 2100 it quiets down again. Any Idea????
  • Options
    luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    Going to see the dealer today. Thought I could use info during negotiations. Thanks!
  • Options
    luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    The 2006 Maxx is rated 201 hp @ 5600 rpms. Torque 221 ft.-Lbs. @ 3200.

The Hyundai Sonata is rated 235 hp @ 6000 rpms. Torque 226 Ft-lbs. @ 3500.

The Ford 500 is rated 203 hp @ 5750 rpms. Torque 207 ft-lbs. @ 4500 rpms.

Seems horsepower is almost equal between the Maxx and 500 but 14 ft-lbs difference with torque. I've heard the 500 is very slow from off the line.

The Sonata has 34 more horsepower than Maxx but torque is only a 5 ft-lbs difference.

Rpms is lowest for Maxx for both Horsepower and Torque. This means it takes the Maxx a shorter time to get to maximum speed, right?

Consumer Reports tested all 0-60 Sonata 7.5 sec., Maxx 8.2 sec., 500 8.7 sec.
  • Options
    sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    E2 - can you please provide build date for 06 Maxx LTZ, VIN 140814? My 04 Maxx LS was totaled in a bad car head on accident. The Maxx did a great job of protecting all occupants. No one in either car was injured. I am now shopping for a new 06 Maxx LTZ and want to know how long above car has been on dealers lot. Thanks.
  • Options
    snowcatsnowcat Member Posts: 13
    So it's been about a year since I've been here. I've dropped Crow :sick: off to the dealership with an 8 bullet point letter of things to fix.
    1.) That d*mned CD player. Guess what. Radio #4 has totally dropped dead. This time the CD carousel isn't even grinding to try and spit out a CD. The only fix I will accept at this point in time is that they replace it with a 1 CD/1 Tape player. I have an iPod & a Y-cable to the DVD inputs.
    2.) that lovely steering wheel click. I printed out TSB 06-02-32-007 for my guy
    3.) 27k oil change. Guaranteed to get one thing free.
    4.) Passenger visor mirror door broke - the left plastic tab holding it in snapped .. while my hubby was using it.
    5.) rear passenger wheel wobble. tire out of balance? improper torque? I never have back seat passengers so I don't know how long it's been going on.
    6.) passenger outside mirror housing. the car wash ripped a huge chunk out of it a year ago. I'm finally getting that fixed.
    7.) Passenger headrest. the clip that holds the cover together popped apart, and I can't figure out how to get it back together. (possibly a strange metaphor of my life ;) )
    8.) the little cubby hole over the traction control button & power outlet - there's a 'roof' panel in there that popped out - another one that for the life of me I can't figure out.

A couple stupid little things, a couple major. :cry: This is discouraging. There are so many things I love about this car, but when my smart buy is up, I don't know if I am going to pay her off, or allow my hubby to find me a cute little BMW 325i convertible.

SnowCat
    '04 Malibu Maxx LT 'Crow'
    '69 Cutlass S Holiday Coupe 'Goldfinger'
    hubby - '00 BMW 528ia 'Sascha'
  • Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Oct 3, 2005 - Black exterior color, right?

Sorry to hear about accident but nice to hear no one injured
  • Options
    sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    Yes it was Black. I'm really looking for Dark Blue, like my 2004. My local dealer located 3 Dk Blue 06 LTZ at other dealers. VIN 143433 has Cashmere interior, VIN 219126 and 250923 have Titanium interior. Could you please give me the build dates for these three. I promise I won't ask you for any more.

Also, do you know if the interior of all 06 LTZ Maxx's have black upper dash, door panels and console. I could not tell from the 2006 order guide I found online. I'm hoping that VIN 143433 has the combination black/cashmere interior.

Thanks.
  • Options
    143433 = Oct 6, 2005
    219126 = Feb 8, 2006
    250923 = Mar 23, 2006

I don't know enough about available interior trim combinations.
  • Options
    maddmaxxmaddmaxx Member Posts: 81
    A couple of weeks ago my Maxx started hesitating when starting off from a stop. It did this a few times and has not done this recently. But since then, my MPG has dropped to 21-23. I have always consistently been getting 28-30 MPG. I have 81K on it now. Any ideas? Thanks.
  • Options
    I was on the Chevy website and noticed the '06 Maxx 3.5 is rated at 217hp v. '04 @ 200hp. What kind of changes did they make to get this?

I'd also be interested in the traction control upgrade.
  • Options
    mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    If you look again you'll see that it's for the 07 model. The increase is from an entirely different engine that just happens to be of similar displacement. They took the LX9 3.5L V6 from the 04-06 Malibus that was based off of the old 3.4L and replaced it with the new 3.5L V6 with VVT from the Impala/Monte Carlo that is based off of the 3.9L V6 with VVT. The old LX9 V6 that most of us have will be no more after 06. If you look closer you'll also notice that the new engine is slightly down on torque (217@4000rpm vs 221@3200rpm).
  • Options
    gabbylagabbyla Member Posts: 2
    I'm planning to buy a slvg title 2005 Malibu Maxx after I have a mechanic check it out (make sure it's road worthy, mechanically sound). It looks like it was rear ended but it drives fine, the brakes make a little noise (going to check that out) but it's in my price range! I'm hoping it will last me a few years with no major issues since it won't be covered by a warrenty.

Any suggestion for me? I really like the car, style, drive and price. But don't want a lemon or major issues.
  • Options
    They took the LX9 3.5L V6 from the 04-06 Malibus that was based off of the old 3.4L and replaced it with the new 3.5L V6 with VVT from the Impala/Monte Carlo that is based off of the 3.9L V6 with VVT. The old LX9 V6 that most of us have will be no more after 06.

So does that mean that the 07 Malibus can run on E85?
  • Options
    hgr3inokhgr3inok Member Posts: 28
    IMHO, a Maxx with a "salvage" title is more likely to have major issues than one with a clean title. While the initial cost the salvage vehicle may be less, the long-term cost may be substantially more. Keep in mind that when you sell the salvage-title vehicle in a few years, it will bring less (maybe a lot less) than a vehicle with a clean title. Remember, if it's not a good car, then it's probably not a good deal.
  • Options
    Correct the version that allows use of E85 is the LZE engine which is optional on Impala
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Although I may have been ham handed I think my OLM reset itself. Great, if this is true it will be the second occasionally reoccuring problem (along with the blast of heat every week or two from the HVAC head) as I drop off the end of my warranty. The OLM was at 62% and reset itself. Although the manual says to change oil immediately I think I can safely drive another thousand miles or so and see if I get any more anomolies before heading to the dealer for the end of warranty service.

Anyone else have any trouble with this or did I just push the wrong buttons and not know it?
  • Options
    would never touch a salvage title..probably major accident or flood....major repairs......limited warranty if any...sure the price may look good..but beleive you are asking for more headaches that its worth, better to by a used on that is certified from a dealer.....

what are they asking for the car...and what mileage is on it
  • Options
    e2helper, does the computer in the Maxx learn driving styles and adjust timing & mixture, etc. to that style? Or does it operate the same regardless of driving style? Thanks.
  • Options
    I don't think so - it does learn a few characteristics about component on engine or in vehicle but regarding driving styles I never heard of that.
  • Options
    madmadammadmadam Member Posts: 55
    Hi all. I'm still loving my 2004 MAXX after 23 months of ownership. Two questions for anyone to help me with: The hatch has a small dimple (from me backing into a bicycle handle in the garage). It appears to me that the hatch cover is not metal--I tried to attach a magnet to the spot but it does not stick as it does elsewhere on the vehicle. How best to fix this little dimple? If it's made of fiberglass or some sort of plastic I don't know if it can be pulled out as a metal dent can be.
    Also--I got an offer from GM for extended warranty plan--the offer expires at the end of September. My original 3-year warranty is in place until next summer. I do want to buy extended warranty, but should I wait? Why are they offering this now? Opinions?
    Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    madmaxxmadmaxx Member Posts: 44
    The hatch is made of aluminum.

As for extended warranties, whether to purchase one or not is pretty much a personal choice.

FWIW-I believe that you are better off putting $50/mth in a "car maintenance" savings account. If you ever need it, you've got the money, and if you don't, you've got a down payment on your next vehicle.
  • Options
    concur with Madmaxx on this one....alum..on the hatch..and extended warranties are a personal choice.....with less that two years and 24K on the car..most extended warranties are pricey at best....most should be purchased before it reaches 12 months or 12K miles.....the longer you wait the more it will cost you..depends on what GM is offering you now.....go to

http://www.gmoutlet.com/gmpp.htm

for some of the best pricing I have seen on GMPP extended warranty plans....compare to what GM is offering you and make a choice....I dont have one on my 04 Maxx LT..with 75K on it now...and do have one on our 06 Pontiac Solstice...
  • Options
    The hatch is made of aluminum.

FWIW-I believe that you are better off putting $50/mth in a "car maintenance" savings account. If you ever need it, you've got the money, and if you don't, you've got a down payment on your next vehicle.

And I agree with madmaxx on all counts. Especially with regard to the extended warranty. It's a gamble...and I'd just as soon hang on to the $$ instead of paying them out up front when the coverage might never be necessary.
  • Options
    skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    I have enjoyed this forum and hope I contributed positively. I traded my Maxx today with 28900 miles. I ebjoyed the car and was fortunate not to experience any of the maladies often mentioned. It gave me good gas mileage around town. I just needed a bigger vehicle to transport all the stuff we need to carry south for the winters.
  • Options
    ..what has gotten fixed from the '04 to the '07 Maxxs? I understand the engine in the '07 is a new design, but am not sure what else has been addressed over these 3 years.

Things I know about are:
    steering columm
    steering rack
    rear shade trim

Things I do not know for sure are:
    BCM redesign/recalibration
    brake rotor durability

comments, please? :confuse:

I like having a hatchback and the maxx is a good road car, despite all the first year glitches I have had in mine. Once the Maxx goes away, I'll have to look at brands outside GM.
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    he, he, ......don't forget about the brilliant engineering move to put a spoiler on the car, thus forcing more dirt onto the back window, thus requiring GM to put a wiper back there. We '04 owners are fortunate not to have to deal with even less visibility as a result of the wiper, moter unit, and extra dirt. Nonetheless, retiring the Maxx is a big mistake in my mind. I'd still buy a second one in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    Usual GM replace the perfectly fine engine with something else. Rumour has it that the 07s will be going back to hydraulic power steering.
  • Options
    All the '07 maxxes, and everything but the base Malibu, I believe, use Hydraulic power steering now. I wonder how that steering impacts fuel economy?

And yes, the GM engineers I met years ago commented on the stupidity of the Maxx spoiler, but marketing won on that.

The better traction control on the SS is intriquing, but their all black interiors are deal breakers for me (amazing how many people buy black interiors in Los Angeles - they must love to broil! :shades: )
  • Options
    marketing always trumps engineering....heard the same comment at the National Solstice meet last July when a question was ask....the GM engineer that was in attendance also stated that marketing always over rules engineering as long as its not a safety or production issue....
  • Options
    Amen to this...the one thing I don't like about my 04 LS Maxx is the lousy rear visibility (those incredibly fat C pillars). Oh, and the sunshades. ;)
  • Options
    All the '07 maxxes, and everything but the base Malibu, I believe, use Hydraulic power steering now. I wonder how that steering impacts fuel economy?

According to fueleconomy.gov, the 07 Maxx with 3.5 has dropped to 20 city/29 highway. Ouch!
  • Options
    Not good on the fuel economy. :(

Wonder why the fuel economy has dropped so much? Weren't the new engines supposed to be _more_ efficient?

Could it be hydraulic power steering is sapping __that__ much power?? I hope not!
  • Options
    Wonder why the fuel economy has dropped so much? Weren't the new engines supposed to be _more_ efficient?

I dunno. The funny thing is, the numbers for the sedan with the 3.5 are unchanged. Only the Maxx dropped.
  • Options
    Maxx is the one that got hydraulic power steering.
  • Options
    apparently so did all the Malibus except for the base and LT sedan (the LT has electric, but an option for Hydraulic).

Does hydraulic steering use __that__ much power to account for a 2 city mph decrease?
  • Options
    apparently so did all the Malibus except for the base and LT sedan (the LT has electric, but an option for Hydraulic).
    I was under the impression that all the 07 Malibus were going to have hydraulic, which is why I was surprised that only the Maxx had such a big drop.

I don't understand why they'd be making that switch...I kind of like the electric setup. But then I haven't had any problems with mine. :)