Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Auto collectibles and paraphernalia...

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    Its period correct, anyway. Notice something that many get wrong these days - on two tone MBs of the era, the hubcaps should always match the roof color.
  • Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    I just googled that tip and found something interesting:

1967 250SE Coupe
    Owner states:
    Hello, this is my 1967 250SE Coupe. I bought it in 1999 in San Jose California where it lived most of its life. I recently painted it to its current scheme (which is not orignal) and converted from the American style headlamps to European Style. Hope you like it!
    Eric

Actually I do kinda like it, Eric. The red and white combo is nice, but the tires on the other fintail really set it off. Eric got the hubcaps correct but I didn't see anything posted about the car's original colors.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    I think by 1967, few were ordering those cars in two tone. A lot of the coupes of that period were white, a two tone might have been beige over brown or similar.

MB had wide whites as an option through MY 1964, then moved to narrow band whitewalls (or just blackwalls).
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Let's see if anyone's still visiting this thread. You can get yourself a Hotwheels Gucci Seville, only $120:
    https://jalopnik.com/this-120-gucci-cadillac-seville-hot-wheels-is-the-stan-1847847022
  • Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    That's a crazy price, but I imagine it's rare. Some hot wheels fanatic will pay that.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options
    At least it looks like it has all the Gucci trim:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    If one wants a diecast bustleback, Hot Wheels had one as a normal/mainline release back when the cars were new. Even a mint example would be much cheaper:

Japanese maker Tomica also issued a bustleback during the period, this brand is highly collected too, but will cost a lot less than the new example. This is from my collection (usually seen in gold, which I also have):

• Options
    That's cool. I was never a fan of the bustle backs, but now I see it as something unique with its "quirks and features"

This is a small portion of some vintage and newer hot wheels, matchbox, yatmings, and majorettes I have. The rest are in rubbermaid bins in the closet.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    I liked the bustleback when I was a little kid and they were new, I saw them as a little exotic for their unusual looks. I won't call them beautiful, but I appreciate the effort.

Nice material there, I recognize several castings from my (and your) youth, especially on the top shelf.

Right now I have around 180 boxed Tomica, 260 boxed Matchbox, and a number of castings from other brands, along with loose Tomica and Matchbox. I have most of them in this little teak hutch, you can stack a big collection into a small space, something I like about these. I have bought just a couple models over the past couple years, but I've still held on to them:

boomchek said:

That's cool. I was never a fan of the bustle backs, but now I see it as something unique with its "quirks and features"

This is a small portion of some vintage and newer hot wheels, matchbox, yatmings, and majorettes I have. The rest are in rubbermaid bins in the closet.

• Options
    Nice, I like the original packaging you have for many of your models.

What do you do for dedusting the cars on the open shelves? I try to spray hem with a keyboard air in a can deduster , or one of those swifter hand held things, and once in a while clean them by hand, one by one. My issue is too that my whole collection is in my garage, so they get a bit more dustier than if they were in the house.

• Options
    Nearly all of the boxes have models in them, easy way to keep the dust off. The cases also have glass doors to keep the dust away. Before I had the cabinets, I also used the air duster method, and a couple times a year would wipe them with a slightly damp microfiber cloth.
    boomchek said:

Nice, I like the original packaging you have for many of your models.

What do you do for dedusting the cars on the open shelves? I try to spray hem with a keyboard air in a can deduster , or one of those swifter hand held things, and once in a while clean them by hand, one by one. My issue is too that my whole collection is in my garage, so they get a bit more dustier than if they were in the house.

• Options
    Right, I see the opened glass in your photos. I just have the simple Ikea Billy book cases with no glass on them. Actually all of my garage mancave furniture cost me maybe less than $100 in total by getting it cheap or free on Craigslist.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    I shudder to think of all the 'Models of Yesteryear' I and my brothers destroyed growing up. Dad would bring one back from trips, we'd play with it, then try to take it apart. :'(
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,305
    texases said:

I shudder to think of all the 'Models of Yesteryear' I and my brothers destroyed growing up. Dad would bring one back from trips, we'd play with it, then try to take it apart. :'(

I got one of those each year, at Christmas.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Interestingly, Yesteryears have appreciated much less than normal small scale castings. Everyone saved the Yesteryears as shelf displays etc, all but the earliest can be found for little money. I remember when they were always on sale when I was a kid, could be picked up for $3-4 apiece new in box in the 80s. I played with mine too. I can buy 80s ones for $4-5 apiece all day long today.
    texases said:

• Options
    The glass makes all the difference. I bought these cases on marketplace, decent quality mid century items for less money than low end new stuff - secondhand furniture is often the way to go.
    boomchek said:

Right, I see the opened glass in your photos. I just have the simple Ikea Billy book cases with no glass on them. Actually all of my garage mancave furniture cost me maybe less than $100 in total by getting it cheap or free on Craigslist.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    I have tons of yesteryears as well, many in boxes that I got here for cheap as well.

This Captain Morgan Yesteryear Ford was my first ever. I got it almost 40 years ago when I was a young lad and still have it. Funny how booze and tobacco signage was normal on children's toys back then.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,305
    Mine were from the 60's and 70's.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    My Matchbox and Hot Wheels collection pales in comparison. They were played with often and I was extremely persnickety to take care of them to prevent scratches. They are kept in a Matchbox carrying case. I was not smart enough to keep the boxes. Unfortunately while I was attending college my parents had friends over that had a small boy who needed to entertained so dad went to my closet and offered up my cars to be played with. Now many sport chips that were not there. I also had the fold up Matchbox cities, parking garage, Matchbox speedway and Hot wheels drag strip. Mom gave away some of what I had thinking I wouldn’t mind… I still have the Speedway and the carrying case with what remains of my collection.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    I had that same casting, but in Pepsi livery, just like this:

Long lost to time now. Probably paid $4 for it in 1985, could buy as many as I wanted for around that much now.
    boomchek said:

I have tons of yesteryears as well, many in boxes that I got here for cheap as well.

This Captain Morgan Yesteryear Ford was my first ever. I got it almost 40 years ago when I was a young lad and still have it. Funny how booze and tobacco signage was normal on children's toys back then.

• Options
    If I am guessing your age demographic correctly, those Hot Wheels could still be worth decent money even with chips. Matchbox from after 1965-70 decrease in value fast, but Hot Wheels from the same era can have real value.

I bought this Hot Wheels El Camino (with a ramp made for a glider playset) at a sale for $40 a couple years ago. Sounds crazy, right? Sold it on ebay for $240:

sda said:

My Matchbox and Hot Wheels collection pales in comparison. They were played with often and I was extremely persnickety to take care of them to prevent scratches. They are kept in a Matchbox carrying case. I was not smart enough to keep the boxes. Unfortunately while I was attending college my parents had friends over that had a small boy who needed to entertained so dad went to my closet and offered up my cars to be played with. Now many sport chips that were not there. I also had the fold up Matchbox cities, parking garage, Matchbox speedway and Hot wheels drag strip. Mom gave away some of what I had thinking I wouldn’t mind… I still have the Speedway and the carrying case with what remains of my collection.

• Options
    fintail said:

If I am guessing your age demographic correctly, those Hot Wheels could still be worth decent money even with chips. Matchbox from after 1965-70 decrease in value fast, but Hot Wheels from the same era can have real value.

I bought this Hot Wheels El Camino (with a ramp made for a glider playset) at a sale for $40 a couple years ago. Sounds crazy, right? Sold it on ebay for $240:

sda said:

Now that's a great investment, even with a bent wheel ;)

• Options
    Bent axles are a quirk of redline Hot Wheels - actually doesn't impact value. There's a tool that will straighten them.
    boomchek said:

fintail said:

sda said:

Now that's a great investment, even with a bent wheel ;)