Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

How expensive are Volvos to maintain?

hellocarpeoplehellocarpeople Member Posts: 6
edited February 2015 in Volvo
So I live in Michigan and everyone is supposed to buy Michigan auto maker cars... I would, except I want a wagon and I found this nice looking 2004 Volvo XC70. My question is this, how expensive is it to maintain a Volvo? Are parts and labor much more costly than say owning a Ford? Will an '04 Volvo at 129,000 miles be reliable?

Comments

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Volvos have a strong tendency to be both troublesome and expensive to fix.

Anyone buying ANY eleven year old European car with 129,000 miles is taking a HUGE risk.

At the very least, if you really are determined to buy this car, find a TRUSTED shop that specializes in European cars give it a thorough inspection!
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    They are fairly expensive, like a BMW, so on a higher mileage car like this, you should figure about $125/$150 a month for basic repairs and maintenance.
  • Options
    hellocarpeoplehellocarpeople Member Posts: 6
    Thank you. I probably will pass this up since I am worried about getting into something expensive in the long run.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    @biancar‌

How have you been? Nice to see you back in the forums!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    edited March 2015
    Hi, yes, it's been a while! No particular reason I haven't been around, just busy with "life happens" stuff. I still have my Nissan 350Z that is now 10 years old in car years, 9 years old to me (2005 model, bought new in April 2006), and the 2010 Volvo V70 that we and our dogs love. I haven't been car-shopping for several years now.