Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Titan

Comments

• Options
    armenarmen Member Posts: 4
    Tiltboy,
    If the best you've benn offered is 1000 over invoice - KEEP CALLING!!! I think you'll be able to find a much better price. I've read about many buying at invoice to 500 over. My truck is on order and I may be able to negotiate again (through a broker) once it gets here. I'm at about 300 over invoice in CA. Not to guide you beyond this excellent site, but you can read more about prices being paid on titantalk.com.
  • Options
    tiltboytiltboy Member Posts: 63
    I might have to wait a year or so to get what I want, but if the right deal came along.....I would be ready! That sounds like a good deal to me @ $300 over with ordering. I am curious to see what others are paying. I will check the other site also.

Thanks, Tilt.....
  • Options
    armenarmen Member Posts: 4
    I opted out of the DVD/Entertainment package when buying my Titan (which I'm still waiting for) but would still like to insert something else in its place - maybe a Playstation 2 for movies and games to keep the kids busy. Has anyone else given any thought to this or can anyone lead me to some better knowledge of what options are available? Thanks for your help!!
  • Options
    bearbrawnbearbrawn Member Posts: 19
    There's all kinds of portable entertainment options these days...

All the stereo/audio stores are well-stocked.
  • Options
    geminigemini Member Posts: 2
    I have '04 TITAN LS w/big tow. Everything good about this car except- I would like to have a climate control. Does anybody know if it is possible to replace regular a/c to climate control?
  • Options
    bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    yeah...get an armada.

;-P
  • Options
    geminigemini Member Posts: 2
    smart,easy, but expensive :)
  • Options
    houstonaj1houstonaj1 Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking into the Titan lately and think it is a great truck. My only concern is fuel mileage. I have read a few accounts in here and else where that mileage was as low as 12 to 14 MPG. I would like to know what owners are experiencing now that engine is fully "Worn In". Also, Nissan makes a MPG break for 4 wheel drive but not for the Big Tow package. I would imagine that the Big Tow would have an effect on MPG since rear differential is changed.
  • Options
    I'm averaging 16.2 mpg with big tow - 4WD SE CC

Mostly highway miles...
  • Options
    derykfderykf Member Posts: 9
    I have an LE 4x4 w/Big Tow averaging 16.8 mpg on the hwy, 15 has been the low, with a nasty headwind, and 18 has been the high so far. In the city it has been between 12 and 14 depending on the amount of stop and go. Until I get my tonneau cover I have been running with the tailgate down w/bed extender when driving on the highway.
  • Options
    pepeton11pepeton11 Member Posts: 1
    I have been researching Nissan Titan Crew Cab prices in the Houston, Tx. area for the past two months. This past weekend, Baker-Jackson dealership ran an an add in the Houston Chronicle that really surprised me. For example, the price for an XE (I am assuming-no options) was $ 21,924. I checked the invoice price on Edmunds and it quoted me $ 23,339, including a $650 destination charge. This is a bit over $1,400 under invoice price. For a King Cab XE, they had a price of $19,524. The add said they had several to choose. I am personally considering an SE crew cab model, but I am assuming the same type of reduction could carry across all three model lines.
  • Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Be very thorough when reading that sort of ad. Look for phrases like "After your $2000 trade", or "After $2500 deposit". Expect document fees of many hundred dollars.

For a dealer to be offering a starting point for negotiation of $1400 below invoice, on a new model in good demand, seems too good to be true.

I'm sure you can complete the line "If it seems to be too good to be true.............".

However, I'm sure there's many here who are waiting to purchase would love me to be proved wrong!

:--)
  • Options
    some dealers will run ads like that and i can almost promise you that the destination charge is in addition to the ad price.

however...

if you ask for that on another vehicle, you will either get a laugh or a swift boot out the door. some dealers will do it, but the idea of a price leader is to switch vehicles and hold more gross. thats the point in the first place.
  • Options
    Once they get you in the door - their ad has done its job...
  • Options
    usmc0802usmc0802 Member Posts: 9
    bowke28 - maybe you can use your powers at Nissan to suggest some changes for the Titan...I own a SE CC 4x4 w/ 3300 miles, & here are my ONLY complaints: 1) make a clip on the gas filler cover that holds the gas cap (my 2001 Maxima has one), vice the plastic cord that holds the cap, but lets the cap bang against the paint job; and 2) my Titan did not come with the Big Tow package; I purchased an aftermarket hitch & wiring adapter & installed both in less than 30 minutes; however, when I went to pick up my UHaul trailer for my move, not all of the lights on the trailer worked. The local dealer had to overnight 2 relays to install in my fuse box to make the tow wiring work ($80 total, that the local dealer said he would pay for). So, in effect, if you have a Titan (or Armada) w/out the Big Tow package, who have to spend $80 for 2 tiny fuses to get all of your trailer lights to function properly!
  • Options
    i had that kind of power. im a simple car salesman, and have no control over our own pricing, let alone product manufacturing.

as a matter of fact, you have more power to influence change with the titan than i do.
  • Options
    dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    North American Truck Sales - Jan-April 2004

MODEL____________________SOLD UNITS

F150.............................279,187
    Chevrolet Silverado & CK.....207,891
    Ram..............................136,129
    GMC Sierra........................62,523
    Ford Ranger.......................57,950
    Toyota Tacoma.....................50,117
    Chevrolet Colorado................27,736
    Dodge Dakota......................34,544
    Toyota Tundra.....................32,613
    Chevrolet Avalanche...............27,293
    Nissan Frontier...................20,072
    Nissan Titan......................19,475
    GMC Canyon.........................6,408
    Chevrolet S-10.....................6,273
    Chevrolet SSR......................4,035
    Cadillac Escalade EXT..............3,280
    Mazda Regular Cab..................3,707
    GMC Sonoma.........................2,003
  • Options
    tung579tung579 Member Posts: 14
    Hi usmc,

If you don't mind, could you tell us which fuses are missing for
    trailer wiring?

Thanks in advance,
    Tung Le
  • Options
    I got my Titan XE crew 4x4 with locking diff about
    2 weeks ago. I loved the truck except the "very poor" FM reception.

Anyway, I bought step rail, in-cab filter, and bug deflector from my Nissan dealer and installed them myself.

Step rail: really easy, about 40 minutes without sweat. The mounting was well designed to make installation a breeze.

in-cab filter: the XE doesn't have the filters installed but it does have the filter housing. Just remove the glove box (6-7 screws) and remove
    the filter cap, slide in the filters. 15 minutes job.

bug deflector: not hard but a bit tedious because I was afraid of scratching the hood. But when done, it looks nice and fits perfectly.

That's all.
  • Options
    I had one. I bought a reasonably priced 15inch laptop (about $650 after rebates) and velcro'ed it (really well) on the center armrest and my baby has a huge DVD player. :)

I will look into improving the "mounting" to make
    it really safe if accident occurs. Also, I need to look for some DC adapter to prolong the battery life during long trips.

Eventually, when GPS devices are available and cheap, I can connect one to the USB port and have a huge GPS system.

Regards.
  • Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    GPS devices are available and cheap!

:--)
  • Options
    khoakhoa Member Posts: 64
    Whatever you add, I hope you keep your eyes on the road.
  • Options
    keaneckeanec Member Posts: 349
    Titan sales for May looked pretty good...it is continuing the upward trend.
  • Options
    usmc0802usmc0802 Member Posts: 9
    if you pop the top off the fuse box under the hood, you will see a diagram that tells you which fuses (or relays, as Nissan refers to them) are which; the 2 that you need to have the trailer wiring work are brown, & they are labeled "trailer wiring" or something like that. They will look like they have had the top half missing (when compared to other fuses in the box)
  • Options
    stump21stump21 Member Posts: 41
    What is the bolt pattern on the Titan? I have some Goodyear MT/Rs that are mounted on GM 6-bolt rims.
  • Options
    cguillaucguillau Member Posts: 2
    I also bought my Titan SE King Cab a week ago and am getting horrible reception on my radio. (My old portable transistor radio gets better reception then the truck radio.) Did you ask the dealership or call Nissan direct to see if they will do anything about it? I am going to my dealer tomorrow to get my bed liner put in and I am going to ask them to see if they will replace it. I will let you know if I get any satisfaction.
  • Options
    berryjrberryjr Member Posts: 1
    I am also having a problem with the FM reception. as anyone found a solution to this problem. My Armada has the antenna on the rear windows and has excellent reception. My Titan has the mast antenna and needs better reception. Any ideas
  • Options
    akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Last night, great truck!! Bought a Crew Cab SE 4x4, sedona color (wasn't my first choice, but pickings were slim).

I live quite a ways from the radio stations and my Titan gets great reception on the FM stations. MUCH better than the 04 Explorer I traded in on it.

Unfortunatly the first problem cropped up 15 minutes after delivery. When taking my foot off the gas the 4WD indicator (the little 4 wheel picture) disappears and the 4LO light flashes. Took it back to the dealer, they said it was probably a sensor, so made an appt for Friday. They will give me a loaner and a gift certificate to a VERY awesome restaurant. Other than that the Titan is wonderful.

My Explorer had transmission problems (electrical) from about 1000 miles, so nothing surprises me anymore.

We took the Titan offroad today, 4WD worked flawlessly (even with the 4LO light flashing here and there). So far the gas mileage is 16.7 mpg on the first tank (have already put 350 miles on it). Better gas mileage than my V6 Explorer.

Almost puts my hubby's 99 Ram 3500 V10 to shame.......in my eyes it does......hehehe.
  • Options
    i thought they said to stay away from the dealers?!?!?!?!

im glad you saw the light, though...im a nissan fan since the titan came out...what a great truck!!!
  • Options
    Its my hubby's fault!! He wanted to look at the Titan before we spent $$$ getting the Explorer ready to tow.

One drive and we were sold. Course the GSM was stuck on his price, we butted heads and I stormed out. Went down the street, drove a Silverado, didn't like it, got back in the Explorer, looked at my husband and said "I'm going to have to swallow my pride and go back down to the Nissan dealer aren't I?"

So, back we went.......mind you, when I leave I NEVER come back. Ha, the Titan had us. Did the deal, came back at 5, signed the papers, and left with the Titan. I'm still smiling!! I don't miss the Explorer one bit, the Titan is an amazing truck. Only bad thing is I don't get to drive it when hubby's home, he claims it when he's around.
  • Options
    lionslions Member Posts: 20
    i too bought a chevy ext cab 2002 nothing but but problems. drive tran clunk,engine knock,truck wonders all over the road. I wish i had waited.
  • Options
    One of the things I noticed on the Nissan lot when we bought the Titan was the amazing amount of used Chevy and Ford trucks. The poor GSM groans at the thought of another one coming in, he's having to ship most of them to auction.

There was no comparison between the Chevy and the Titan. The Titan has it hands down, have almost 1500 miles on the Titan now, will have owned it a week tomorrow. NO REGRETS!! Its a great truck.
  • Options
    I started writing a reply and deleted it. I will not get into a chevy vs nissan debate. I've been there done that with chevy diesels and will never do it again. I'm glad you are happy with yours, I know too many people who hate theirs to even go there.

In Alaska a diesel makes zero sense. Unleaded is hanging at $2.09/gal, diesel is hanging around $2/gal. The fuel economy difference is so little that the extra money for a diesel is rather silly. Diesels go wanting up here, they don't hold any more value than their gas counter part.

I easily get 17-19 mpg on the hwy with my Titan, about the same as my dad's 2001 Ram 2500 Cummins and better than the Explorer I traded in.

Our other truck is a 99 Ram 3500 V10 4x4 dually, 13 mpg empty 10 towing 12k lbs. My dad's Cummins gets about 7-8 mpg towing that same load.

To each his own, but I will never buy another GM product and I will continue to enjoy my *different* Titan.
  • Options
    tiltboytiltboy Member Posts: 63
    Bowke28, do you know when the 05' models are due out, and if they are planning any changes? I know the current model came out at recently and I wasn't sure when the new ones are expected.

Thanks, Tilt...
  • Options
    will probably be october-ish. changes other than colors are doubtful.
  • Options
    boroarkeboroarke Member Posts: 5
    I purchased a Nissan Titan LX about 2 months ago and what an awesome turck! Bad news is the LX trim does not come with the pre-wire for the brake controller. I have been to Nissan 3 times in the last week and they are of no help! I need to install a brake controller by this Friday for our week long trip up to Yosemite. I do not want to let my family down. I am sure hoping there is someone out here that can help me out of this situation. Does anyone have or know where I can get a wiring diagram that will show which wires I need to tap into to install a brake controller? I already have the 7 pin harness on the back so I know the brake wire has to have been ran up under the dash. Does anyone have have a brake controller already installed that they could tell me which wires I need to splice into under the dash? Thank you in advance for any and all help that you can give.
    Bryan
  • Options
    First off, the Titan doesn't come in an LX trim level, so I'm assuming you got the XE.

If you don't have the plug under the dash for the brake controller then the easiest way to get it in there is to find a shop that installs brake controllers (an RV shop or somewhere like that) and have them hard wire the controller in. That's what we did with our 94 Chevy, worked fine. Will cost you a bit of money, but shouldn't be too bad. Cost us about $200 to have our Chevy wired for 7-pin wiring and a brake controller hard wired in.

I have a Titan SE and it does have the plug under the dash, came that way with the big tow package I think.
  • Options
    gch2gch2 Member Posts: 7
    I just got a Nissan tow hitch from the the dealer and it comes with the brake wiring information.
  • Options
    boroarkeboroarke Member Posts: 5
    If you have some free time, would you consider looking under your dash and write down which colored wires from the brake controller harness connects to which colored wires under the dash? I have to get this done by friday or we will miss our Yosemite trip. I have called all the uhauls in town and they can not do it until next week which will be to late. Thank you all for your help!
    Bryan
  • Options
    davebucyrusdavebucyrus Member Posts: 3
    Recently bought a Titan Crew Cab, does anyone have experience with aftermarket free flow intake box with cone style filter element? We have used these on chevy 5.3 with good results in mileage and low end acceleration.
  • Options
    saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    Over on Toyota discussions people are bashing their trucks b/c the seats are uncomfortable. And here, you folks can't stop bragging about the ride you just bought -- and had to get a rental the same day. SHOCKING.

Is "Nissan" Japanese for "warning lights don't really matter that much?"

I was starting to like these Titans, but I think I realize how they are able to price em so much lower than the competition. I've been reading truck discussions here for a few years and IMO these Titans are having more problems than most in their first year. That exhaust note sure sounds good though, I will give em that!
  • Options
    " Titans are having more problems than most in their first year."

and when was the last time you counted first year problems?

ford and chevy had their 1st year trucks back in the 1940s, dodge in the 50's, and toyota back in the late '90s.

now...if you are talking about 1st year RE-designs, then the '94 dodge had more recalls than any other vehicle in history, the '97 f150 wasnt much better, and the last time GM actually fully redesigned the trucks was like 1988 or something.
  • Options
    And expect it to be perfect you are setting yourself up. I think all things considered the Titan is an excellent truck. Yes it has some silly issues, but what new model doesn't? Last time I was at the Ford dealer with my 04 Explorer they had a TON of 04 F-150's waiting for service. Let's see, Ford has been making the F-150 for how long?? I rest my case. Its a car, not a rock, its gonna have problems no matter what it is.
  • Options
    mccdon1mccdon1 Member Posts: 32
    Has anyone used the push button locking diff yet? I have pushed the button, the light flashes but I am not sure if it is working. My truck playground has been closed, so I have not gone off-road ...yet. The owners manual is not much help.
  • Options
    gd0422gd0422 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my titan for about 6 months. I called the dealership the 2nd day i had it because of the brake dust. The dealer ship told me because i was using tire dressing on the wheels. I asked them why the back tires didn't have brake dust because i was using tire dressing on them too. The moral of this story is that i have had 1400 miles they have had the rotors turned twice and 2 sets of brake pads and numerouse of other problems with my windows they dont work from time to time, the front end of my truck shakes so bad i cant control my tires and my exhaust hits the frame the rear end leaks the doors leak air, my passenger doors aren't lined up very well they hit together numerously and knock the paint off of the doors, my steering wheel's paint is coming off my seat moves by itself, my windsheild leaks water,dealer says "Cant find no problems with this vehicle at the time" What a joke nissan titans are! Sorry to all of the Titan Lovers but this will probably happen to you soon so dont get too attached to your truck.
    Call 1-800-Nissan-1 If you having the same problems with your truck as i am and if they dont help which is most likely they wont you need to contact the Department Of Transportation of your state and file Lemon Law.
  • Options
    I've got 2400 miles on my Titan, have had it 17 days (bought new), will have 5000 miles on it by the end of the week (2 fishing trips and 1 camping trip).

I drive my truck hard, have taken it offroad and certainly don't baby it. I don't even have half the problems with it that you do with yours. I have the 4LO light flashing, the driver's side window can't go down all the way or it won't come back up, the tire pressure light comes on after 25 miles of driving, and there are a couple other minor things like the broken utility door handle. That's about it, I'm not complaining, I love my Titan. It will get all that stuff fixed on Friday and should be good for a while. My 2004 Explorer had more problems than my Titan does.

Sorry to hear yours is so bad, why don't you get rid of it if you hate it so much?
  • Options
    wow...6 months and a whopping 1400 miles! thats not enough miles to have the brake problem once, let alone twice.

next time you want to be a troll, go to a different board, man.

try the dodge ram board...they will fall for anything.
  • Options
    Somehow I was thinking the same thing considering the miles I have on mine. Mine has ZERO brake dust and NO brake problems.

My poor Titan gets its wittle wheels driven off. Will get 2000+ miles put on it this week. We love that truck!!
  • Options
    saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    You have all these problems after 17 days??!!??

Sure they aren't total engine failure, but these are PROBLEMS. I have never, EVER, heard of someone who has had problems of this magnitude after 2 weeks of ownership and still so high on their vehicle. This goes beyond brand loyalty -- I don't know what it is???

You talk about fishing -- do you own a boat?? In the boat world (20 ft and up) there is a huge thing known as "fit and finish." Ever heard of it? Its what sets one make of boat apart from another and can mean a difference of $10k or more. Its an issue in trucks, too. I mean no disrespect whatsoever, but as a consumer we must hold the mfg. to higher standards. You would make a great mopar owner.

mccdon1,
    As for your locker -- you might have to be in a situation that causes wheelspin for it to engage. My tacoma has an electric locker, too, and thats how they work. Might have to wait until your playground opens back up. Hehe, good luck
  • Options
    stump21stump21 Member Posts: 41
    Are you in 4LO when you are trying it? You must be in 4LO to get it to lock in.