Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Titan

Comments

• Options
    akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I agree that the truck should not have these many problems in 17 days, sadly enough the truck had these problems 15 minutes after delivery. Should I have demanded a different truck? Maybe, but I love the one I have. Its quirky, but loveable.

Right now we are at 2800 miles and will be at 5000 by the end of the week. Other than the problems the truck had initially its had no others and has been great.

I've had worse with a Ford and a Mazda, so I'm not complaining. As for brand loyalty, nope, don't have any, but I do love my Titan.
  • Options
    p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I seriously considered buying a new TITAN truck to replace my 95 SE V6 Nissan pickup. I tested two four wheel drive models - one a king cab and the other a crew cab. I found things wrong with both trucks immediately. First truck - Rockford Fosgate stereo system practically inoperative - only one speaker worked. Second truck: outside of tailgate peppered with nicks and dings down to the primer and bare metal, paint defect from the factory on truck's side, shallow dent in the roof, jammed A/C switch (could not turn A/C off with the switch). Although both trucks rode well, were tight and did not have any rattles or squeaks, I am disappointed with these glaring flaws which should not be present on a new vehicle. Ironically, both trucks have been "inspected" by dealers technicians before they were put on the lot for sale. The inspection checklist also included paint flaws and chips. My question is: if I find this many problems in five minutes, how many are there that I could not see and that wil come out later?
    I also test drove two Chevy Silverado trucks and could not find problems like these at first glance.
  • Options
    And I forgot to mention misaligned rear bumper on the second truck.
  • Options
    bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    sounds like trucks that were beaten up after the fact. simple explainations can account for most of it:

"Rockford Fosgate stereo system practically inoperative - only one speaker worked."

if the fade and balance controls were adjusted, this may explain it.

"outside of tailgate peppered with nicks and dings down to the primer and bare metal, paint defect from the factory on truck's side, shallow dent in the roof"

other than the defect on the side, someone screwed this truck up at the dealer.

"jammed A/C switch (could not turn A/C off with the switch)."

if the "max a/c" button is on, you cannot turn the a/c off. you have to turn the recirculate button off.

"if I find this many problems in five minutes, how many are there that I could not see and that wil come out later?"

i would go to another dealer. its obvious that this dealer was either negligent in the PDI duties, or someone vandalized it.
    also, it could have been on their showroon floor for a time. broken pieces are common on a popular vehicle when EVERYONE messes with them.
  • Options
    Thanks for your explanation but here is some more info:

1.Inoperative stereo: both myself and the salesman tried everything possible to make it work, we tried to adjust every setting, including fade and balance controls, and nothing worked.

2. Paint damage on the tailgate, misaligned or pushed in bumper: I believe you are right about damage after manufacture - the truck was probably damaged during transit. Their inspection process should have flagged this damage.

A/C switch: I do not remember if the A/C was in the recirculation mode, but it is possible. I tried A/C switch in another truck and it operated properly.
  • Options
    i would still go to another dealer...lol.
  • Options
    But the price was right: $5000 off the original (not add on) factory sticker. There was another truck close to what I wanted but it did not have buckets seats and had the offroad package, and bedliner with the bed extender, which I did not want to pay for.

Question: can you get a limited slip (or locking)differential on these trucks without the offroad package and/or big tow package? I wish they would offer a "regular tow package" for about $ 400 on these trucks with a frame hitch, wiring harness, and transmission oil cooler. This should be available on all TITAN trucks. Not everybody needs a $800 tow package good for 9500 lbs. I hope this will be coming for 2005.
  • Options
    bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    If you were configuring a Titan for the best price/value, peformance, and comfort, which model and options would you choose? Thanks
  • Options
    accumacaccumac Member Posts: 16
    15,500 miles, purchased mid December O3, LE, King cab
    Problems to date: Warped front brake rotors, turned against my wishes then replaced under a Nissan service advisory, along with pads, shims and caliper bolts. 4 lo light flashing, to be repaired as soon as the back ordered sensor comes in. Tailgate trim is loose, repaired once with new clips that immediately fell out. Dash squeak that has been repaired twice by the dealer.
    I couldn't be more pleased with the Titan, the problems encountered have been minimal,(I was a dealer mechanic with factory training from BMW, SAAB, and Nissan). I haven't read about any rods coming out of the blocks, transmissions spewing oil, wheels falling off, heated seats burning, wipers that don't work, lights that don't turn on, doors that don't shut, doors that don't open, and the list goes on and on. I traded in my 2002 Chevy 1500 pickup with 5.3, 4x4, auto, extended cab. I had been very happy with my Chevy and GMC before that, but the Nissan performs in every way superior to any of the 1/2 ton pickups that I had before.
    I can't believe the guy complaining about brake dust, brake dust has been around since disk brakes. He obviously doesn't have any BMW's.
  • Options
    depending on where you live...

i would have a 2WD SE KC, popular w/power buckets, and utility bed pkg.

if you have floor mats and mud guards, invoice is $23.9k, less the $1000 rebate.

this gives an OTD around $24.3k including taxes.

p100...

the "regular" tow package is available, but its a dealer-installed setup.
  • Options
    In my opinion, the following configuration it the best value for the money:

SE crew cab 4X4 with popular package with captains chairs with power driver's seat,floor mats, and splash guards(no other options):
    MSRP: about $ 32,000, can buy for about $ 27,000 plus tax. This an extremely versatile truck priced thousands below similar Tundra or Silverado trucks.

If you add the big tow package to this, you will have one awsome truck for a great price! The crew cab is huge, for five people to travel in comfort, and the bed at 5ft 6 inches is still useable.
  • Options
    mccdon1mccdon1 Member Posts: 32
    Thanks, 4LO was the ticket. I wonder why they don't put that in the owners manual...
  • Options
    drew911drew911 Member Posts: 8
    p100 wrote:

"I wish they would offer a "regular tow package" for about $ 400 on these trucks with a frame hitch, wiring harness, and transmission oil cooler. This should be available on all TITAN trucks."

Actually, ALL Titans do come with a transmission cooler and a wiring harness. The wiring harness for a 7 pin trailer connection is tucked into the bumper. So for $200 (less than the $400 you mentioned), you can buy an OEM factory hitch receiver, which is a bolt on job, and be good to go.
  • Options
    WOW is about all we can say about the Titan at this point......WOW again!!! What an AWESOME truck!!!!

We towed a 22 ft Nash travel trailer weighing approx 6500 lbs for 1000 miles round trip through the mountains and down to the coast. The Titan didn't so much as hiccup, it acted like there was NO trailer there. No problems with sway or bumps, the Titan handled it perfectly.

My husband drives a Ram 3500 V10 and he is BLOWN AWAY by the Titan, he said its by far one of the best trucks he's ever driven or towed with. In the campground we had about 20 people come over and ask about the Titan, all were impressed with it.

After dropping the trailer in the campground, we drove down to the beach through very deep sand, no trouble there either.

We were able to pass going uphill no problem, accelerating from 50 to 70 mph with little effort. The truck averaged a consistant 10 mpg which is respectable considering the mountains and city driving involved. The Titan had no trouble accelerating from stop lights with the trailer in tow. Very impressive truck, put any worries we had about buying a travel trailer and towing with the Titan to rest, no doubt there.

We have put 4000 miles on this truck in 3 weeks and other than the little things like the 4LO light flashing and a couple other small problems, the truck has been flawless.
  • Options
    bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    Thanks for the help with what is the best value in terms of Titan configuration. I am going to look today. I don't know if I will buy yet, but I am going to look!
  • Options
    tulegittulegit Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know if the tow hitch that the dealer sells is the same hitch that comes with the Big Tow Package?

The Hitch is rated at 7500lb but the big tow package is rated at 9500lbs.
  • Options
    the hitch with the big tow is a weight distributing hitch. the one without is not.
  • Options
    Does anyone know of a factory approved locking gas cap? the manual says not to use anything other than the factory gas cap, however, since it's not lockable, i'm afraid of vandalism.
  • Options
    I just call a dealer and the tow hitch IS that same as the one that comes with the Big Tow Package. It's a class iv reciever rated up to 9500lbs.

What your taking about is the Weight-distributing hitch ball mount that is to be use with the reciever to tow anything over 5000lbs.
  • Options
    Is it available as a separate option on any of the TITAN pickup models? I see it only offered as a part of the off-road pacakage.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Thursday Chats!

Thursdays are a double header chat night now. First up from 5-6pm PT/8-9pm ET we have the brand new Saab Enthusiast Chat. Stop in to meet and greet fellow Saab enthusiasts and your fellow Town Hall denizens and take your favorite automotive topics LIVE in our chat room.

Saab Chat Room

Then immediately following...

Welcome to the Subaru Crew's Weekly Chat!

Join the Subaru Crew every Thursday evening for a chat session from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. The chat room opens about 15 minutes before the scheduled start time, so stop on in, even if it's just to say Hello! All things Subaru is the general theme, but anything automotive is fair game too. Come on in and get to know some of your fellow Town Hallies better! See you there...

Subaru Crew Chat Room

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • Options
    zombozombo Member Posts: 89
    Anyone here with any experience buying from Carmax dealers?Are their advertised internet prices legit?When I told a local Nissan dealer the same Titan he was selling for 28k could be had for 22.8k down at the White Marsh dealership in Maryland,he laughed in my face!If those advertised prices are for real,with no hidden charges it would be well worth the trip from NJ.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Yes the prices are real. They make more money on their used and sell new ones for such low prices for two reasons. 1. Owning a new franchise gives them access to factory sales of used vehicles. 2. Generate traffic and obtain trade-ins.
    There is a Carmax (Kenosha) that sells new vehicles near me and none of the dealers will match their prices on new vehicles.
  • Options
    dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    moparbad,

I live in Southeastern Wisconsin and have successfully used the CarMax prices to get a very comparable deal (not exactly the same price) on the Nissan cars at local dealerships 3 times in the last 5 years.

If your shopping for a Titan, challenge Rosen Nissan on south 27th street in Milwaukee to match the CarMax price and I suspect you'll be pleasantly suprised.

Of course, it's always wise to "do the dance" with the sales people first and let them sell you on the vehicle. Once I'm "sold", I tell them I need to do some more research, get the sales persons schedule and business card.

I just bring in (on a second visit to the same sales person)the printout for the same vehicle from CarMax and tell them I'll buy it from them if they can match the CarMax price (including the $99 fee at CarMax).

They never match perfectly but I've never been more than $200 over carmax's price (one way airfare out to DC).
  • Options
    rhollandrholland Member Posts: 3
    I purchased my Titan crew cab May, 31. On June 15th I was rear-ended by a lady on a cell phone in a Ford Explorer. Totaled the explorer but only got my bumper, trailer hitch and tail gate.
    ($3,200) I am very pleased with the Titan.
  • Options
    dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Can anyone tell me if this rumor I heard is true.....that Nissan is majority owned by Renault, a French company?
    Thanks,
    -David
  • Options
    dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    True, since mid 1999.
  • Options
    bobbyboyjrbobbyboyjr Member Posts: 1
    THIS TRUCK IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF JUNK! THE TRANSMISSION CAME APART AT 3000 MILES AND I HAVE NEVER TOWED A THING. PRIOR TO THAT IT HAS FALLEN TO ABHORRENT BUILD QUALITY. JD POWER HAS PLUMMETED FOR NISSAN SINCE THE ARMADA AND TITAN HAVE HIT THE STREETS. MINE IS PURE LEMON AND HERE IS AZ THERE IS A GROWING NUMBER OF TITAN AND ARMADA (SAME PLATFORM) OWNERS BANDING TOGETHER AGAINST NISSAN... AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE.!!!
  • Options
    first of all, JUNIOR, cut the caps.

second, blanket statements will be ignored. they are usually from kids under 15 that have too much time on their hands. settle down and tell us, exactly, what happened, and how you are handling it with nissan.
  • Options
    Sounds like another troll to me. Gotta love it.

I'm at 5500 miles and the truck is great, its hauling firewood, towing travel trailers, no problems at all. Have had it a whole month.
  • Options
    Renault ownership of Nissan has had major negative impact on Nissan quality from what I have seen. Having owned a Renault before, I think I know what I am talking about. It is no accident that the Kenosha, WI plant that built Renault Encore shut down. The quality of these vehicles was so abysmal that nobody wanted them and resale value was practically nothing. Even French made Renaults like Fuego did not fare well in this country and they quit importing them in mid eighties.

From what I am reading, Renault and Peugeot produce a lot of French built different models that are very popular in Europe. Their lineup includes all kinds of minivans with efficient turbodiesel engines, etc. Their quality certainly must be better than that of Renaults produced in the US for a short time. None of these cars are imported into the US, however.

I own two Nissan vehicles: a 98 Nissan Maxima SE and 95 Nissan SE V6 4X4 pickup. Both have been very reliable and believe it or not, I am afraid to trade them in on new Nissans, because I have seen definite lack of quality. I walked away from a new 2003 Maxima SE because of vibration during the test drive, and two new Titan trucks because of fit and finish issues.

I hope that Nissan will realize that quality is very important to their customers. It is not enough to merely design a superb powertrain, win a few awards, and then slip the quality to save money. This attitude will eventually backfire.

In order to produce a well built reliable vehicle, a company must institute adequate quality control in all areas of production, and vehicle delivery and service: parts manufacturing, assembly of the vehicle, and predelivery inspection at dealerships. Also, dealership technicians must be more than "part changers" to be able to diagnose and repair problems within the warranty period to customer's complete satisfaction first time.
  • Options
    as much as i respect your opinions on here, i have to take issue with equating a car you had 25 years ago to new ones today. that would be akin to saying:

"i owned a new pinto, and it was the worst car ever. therefore, i wont buy a new f150."

i dont think renault has anything to do with quality issues. IMHO, it is mostly due to a brand new plant in an area that has never built cars before, with employees who have never built cars before (and some that probably never HAD one in the first place). not only are the plant, region, and employees new, but the 3 main vehicles built there are all-new models as well. quite frankly, im impressed with the level they have to begin with. it can only improve.

also, the maximas, most altimas, frontiers, xterras, and sentras are all built in the same place that your vehicles were...and probably by many of the same exact people.
  • Options
    Yes, I agree that building a new plant in the US has something to do with the problem. However, that does not explain slip in quality of the 2000-2003 Maxima that were still built in Japan. I believe in Nissan engineering, and I believe that they have designed some of the best powertrains in the world. If Nissan will do the same for the fit and finish of the vehicles they produce, they wil win a lot of customers for life, including myself.
  • Options
    atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    Hey I hate the French also (said with tongue firmly in cheek) but the fact is that Nissan was in sorry shape and was in danger of going under prior to the Renault takeover. Don't blame Renault because they saved Nissan. Turning that company around took a lot of cost cutting and new product, which unfortunately is a combination that can hurt quality in the short term. Now that the situation has stabilized and Nissan has been putting out some great new product, I hope that Nissan will make their next goal reaching quality parity with Toyota and Honda.
  • Options
    rocketrocket Member Posts: 2
    I am a new owner and a believer in synthetic oils.

Can anyone comment on Nissan's view on using Synthetic oil in a Titan especially based on the engine design?
    Has anyone used synthetic oil in their Titan? Please give feedback on experience.
    Several posting have talked to valve/engine noise so I think this is a good topic.
    Please refrain from citing brand names and just refer to "synthetic oil" or "conventional oil".
  • Options
    zombozombo Member Posts: 89
    Synthetic oil is not supposed to be used in any engine until it is broke in.How many miles that is probably varies by opinion.I'd ask a reputable mechanic at a Nissan dealership.
  • Options
    rocketrocket Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for a posting to my question.

Quite frankly I find the mechanics are in the dark on this, and just cite their opinion of synthetics with no real knowledge of the 5.6 liter engine in the Titan. Most don't know its an all alluminum engine nor do they know about the rings or valve seats.

I agree that a break-in with conventional makes good sense. I am monitoring my oil consumption to get an idea when the engine is truly broken in.

Thanks again
  • Options
    li_titanli_titan Member Posts: 7
    I just got my Titan about 1 week ago, So far so good. The only thing is I am looking for a toneau cover that will work with the utilitrac system. Anyone have any solutions.

Thanks
  • Options
    "Quite frankly I find the mechanics are in the dark on this...." Most don't know it's an all aluminum engine nor do they know about the rings or valve seals."

Imagine, these are the people who will be taking your engine apart if necessary, and putting it together again. Don't you feel confindent that the job will be done right?

I hope it is not quite as bad as you describe.
  • Options
    windyandpixiwindyandpixi Member Posts: 2
    Hello! Does anyone know if there is a gooseneck hitch available yet for the Titan? I have a KC SE with Utility Bed and Tow package. My horse trailer is a gooseneck (2 horse) and I am dying to hitch it up to the truck! I'm tired of not being able to get anywhere. The truck has been out for over half a year now, I would thing somebody would have designed a hitch by now! thanks!
  • Options
    derykfderykf Member Posts: 9
    If you are looking for a soft tonneau cover, I got a TruXedo Lo Profile tonneau cover that is manufactured by Shur-Co in SD.
    It is specifically designed for the utilitrac so you don't have to drill any holes in the truck box. The only issue is I can not flip over the bed extender while I have the tonneau system in place. I can however just remove the extender from the brackets and put it in the truck box so it is still usable with the tonneau.
  • Options
    I saw the Truxedo on line. They did say it does not work with the bed extender (which I do have). What do you have to do to use it? Do you just take it off, flip it and then put it back on? I was hoping nissan would have one by now. Thanks
  • Options
    chadchad Member Posts: 2
    First of all, you need to spell Titan correctly. Second, I live in Phoenix, AZ and I love my Titan. I purchased a Crew Cab SE Off-Road model and I think it is a much better truck than my 1999 1500 Silverado Extended Cab. Finally, I think you need to check with JD Powers. Your information is simply not true.
  • Options
    chadchad Member Posts: 2
    I absolutely love my new Titan. I got the SE Crew Cab 4x4 with the off-road package and Big Tow, and I think it is a wonderful truck. I just raised the front end with a DAYSTAR 2.5" kit and it looks awesome! I would highly recommend it to those who want the truck to sit even. My new wheels and tires are on order as well. Aside from an airbag sensor unit going bad, the truck has had no problems. Granted, I only have 2000 miles on it. I did put in Mobil 1 and a new filter as well as tinting the windows. I am getting about 11.6 mpg. How about other owners with similar models?
  • Options
    mccdon1mccdon1 Member Posts: 32
    I got the "Torza top" a couple weeks ago. I am very pleased with it's utility and simplicity. It is a soft folding tonneau cover that can be installed or removed in less than a minute. It works with the utilitrac system (mounts to it with adapters) I did have to move the bed extender forward a few inches because it was where the cover mounted. I will probably never use the extender and the cover at the same time. Hope this helps.

Don
  • Options
    I've got pretty much the same truck as you. SE CC 4x4 off road (although I have 18's on it since the 17's got swiped by someone at the dealership before I got the truck), big tow, utility pkg, popular pkg with captains chairs.

I love it, best truck I've ever had, bought it June 11, 2004 and currently have about 6000 miles on it. Its had a few things go wrong, but I'm not complaining, its fun to drive and a real nice versitle truck.

I'm averaging about 15 mpg in mixed driving with some offroad. If I'm easy on it and just drive hwy last time I checked it got 17 mpg. Better than the 04 Explorer I traded in on it.

So, what color is yours? Mine's Sedona.
  • Options
    Thanks for your help. I think I am going with the "Torza top". It seems to be the most flexable for now.
  • Options
    check with A.R.E. they make the hard locking lids, and we jus put one on 2 trucks here...they look great!
  • Options
    cheungcheung Member Posts: 4
    Anyone know the Titan time, 0-60 and 1/4 mile?

Thanks
  • Options
    vanackvanack Member Posts: 5
    The July 04 issue of Consumer Reports lists the following:
    0 to 60 mph: 7.3
    45 to 60 mph: 4.9
    Quater-mile: 16.0

All times were the fastest aginst their competitors(Tundra, F150, Silverado, Ram 1500 with Hemi)