Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda6 Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• Options
    mazdamarlamazdamarla Member Posts: 350
    I'm sure you can switch the tires - people are always putting bigger wheels on vehicles (especially younger people with their hot rods and such). It might affect the accuracy of mph readings, etc., but not by much probably.

I personally have only driven the 4-cyl Auto, with sport package. I like the look of the sport (especially with the Yellow, which I ordered), so have only driven it with the larger 17" wheels. Compared to my '91 MX-6, it is quiet as a tomb. That's all I was concerned about. On my way to the test drive I closed all my windows and turned the radio off in my car, to see how loud the road/wind noise was. So when I got in the 6 and started going down the highway, I had a good comparison. Very quiet compared to my current car. I'm sure the 16" non-sport wheels are probably a bit quieter, but not enuf of a concern to make me want to NOT get the sport package on my car.
  • Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    The suspension tuning is not different with the Sport Package. I plan on getting the 16s, then if I want to sharpen the handling I'll shop for some 17s. The factory 17s can be ordered from any Mazda dealer.
  • Options
    kenobelkenobel Member Posts: 6
    Thanks, all, for the information. I am sure a new 6i will be quieter than my current car as well -- a 1993 nissan sentra. I was wondering how it would compare to the others in its class.

As far as wheels, I was wanting to go from 17 to 16, not vice-versa, for a more quieter ride. But if the 17's are better in the snow, that's a consideration here in Chicago.

Also trying to figure out a way to get rid of spoiler on trunk -- getting the dealer to swap the trunk, of replacing with a lip spoiler (but not sure if that would mount in same place and cover the holes).
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Taller, skinnier tires are better. You concentrate the weight of your vehicle on a smaller contact patch and also have to compress a narrower width of snow, compacting it more. Wide tires are more like toboggans. If you get a set of snow tires, you usually go down in wheel size and tread width and up in sidewall height.
  • Options
    neonrazorneonrazor Member Posts: 2
    I'm right on the verge of buying a Steel Grey Metallic 6i w/Comfort Package & Appearance Package. I'm not getting the Bose upgrade, so I'm concerned about stock sound. I want to add aftermarket stereo and speakers, but I can't imagine how any in-dash stereo could possibly fit in that single-piece molded console!? Can anyone set me at ease?
  • Options
    stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    You'll have to check for all my previous posts to see all the work that I've done. In short:

- Scosche 4-ch LOC (however, splitting front amp twice)
    - Kenwood 4x40 watt amp power two front speakers and subwoofer
    - Cadence 5 1/4" components up front w/ dynomat
    - Kenwood 6x8" components in the rear powered by stock amp (front channels)
    - Custom cut front tweeter mounts, angled 60+ degrees towards cabin
    - Rear tweeters mounted on the side mounts of the front seats, facing up
    - Custom -6db attenuation circuit for front tweeters to balance them
    - 12" Infinity subwoofer installed in spare tire well using a custom baffel

The sound is absolutely great. It's taken a long, long time to finally tweak the sound into sounding this good. The clarity of my home stereo certainly isn't there, but I wouldn't expect that from a car. Frequency response is great, and very balanced. There's no more raspy sound- all music sounds good. Imaging is even ok- something I didn't think I'd be able to get from the stock head unit.

All-in-all, I'm so completely impressed, I may just stop. I really need to rebuild the subwoofer baffel to allow more travel, but already it's enough to shake the car. I'm only limiting its dynamic range, preventing more punch at higher volume. If anyone's in the area, you can have a listen. As for me, I couldn't be much happier.

Virtually everything was off of eBay. Total cost: about $300. Of course, I experimented with so much other stuff, I have a few hundred worth of inventory waiting to be resold on eBay.
  • Options
    ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Silver Spring, eh? This NoVA-n would appreciate the opportunity to check out your car's audio system and perhaps get your feebdack/ideas about the feasibility of custom (self-)installing satellite (XM of course!) radio to the 6i. I'm trying to decide whether to get a 2003 now, or wait for the 2004 updated Mazda6 and the 2004/5 Mazda3 to be released.
  • Options
    Not this weekend, but the next. Friday perhaps?

I'll give you an old spam mail account, but I'll actually check it: stretch@udel.edu
  • Options
    stew941stew941 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have any info on the MP3 player. I have the 6 disc in dash cd changer, will that affect anything. I can't find any real info on the MP3 player, so I thought this would be a good place to start. Thank You
  • Options
    I picked mine up 3 hours ago, and the explanation I was given (which forced me to pick the in-dash 6-CD changer) was
    - You can only have one or the other (MP3/6 CD)
    - No ETA on the MP3 yet. Of course, it could mean this dealer has none and tried to (successfully!) sell me what he had! Oh well :)
  • Options
    aprilnapriln Member Posts: 25
    I've ordered the MP3 player from mazdastuff.com, over $130 cheaper than my local dealer wanted for it. Mazdastuff.com didn't have it in stock (neither did my dealer), but it only took two days for them to get it from the distributor - and I should have it next Wednesday.

I only have the stock CD player right now, so I can't wait to replace it with the MP3 module. I had an MP3 stereo installed in my old car, so I've already got the discs ripped, and I definitely prefer it to a disc-changer - but everyone has their preferences.

I've got a PDF version of the manual for the MP3 module, which I can send to you via email if you'd like to see it. I'll have more to report once I get the unit installed.
  • Options
    I just sent the manual your way. It's about 800K, so I hope that's not a problem.

I was so excited when I found out that Mazda offered an MP3 player - I love the dash design in the 6, but there was no way I could have my current MP3 stereo installed. It's been hard going back to just a single CD player, that's for sure - but the rest of the car more than makes up for it! =) And in a week or so, my ride should be just about perfect - once I get past 600 miles and can really open 'er up!
  • Options
    blue101blue101 Member Posts: 1
    I ordered the wing spoiler for my Glacier gray MZ6 before changing my mind about installing it (Actually, I ordered it at my wife's suggestion before I changed her mind). Is anyone interested? I don't have the sport or appearance package and decided didn't like the looks of the spoiler. It's sitting in my garage in a bubble bag. I guess I could save it for resale but by then the paint might not match. Any other suggestions?

I've enjoyed reading the messages in this group. I had not heard about the MZ6 until I took a test drive and fell in love, but I have been happy to read since I drove it off the lot that the car has been so well reviewed and praised by its owners.
  • Options
    mazda6iguymazda6iguy Member Posts: 365
    I just got my Mazda 6i and am thinking of adding XM satellite radio. Wal-Mart sells a "Sky-Fi" Xm kit. Does anyone out there have one? How do you like it?
  • Options
    coakleysdcoakleysd Member Posts: 32
    Looking to install leather in my black 6s. Any links in MD/DC area ???
  • Options
    narenjinarenji Member Posts: 161
    I had a magnaflow muffler that i had used in my 01 protege es, and just for kicks i had that installed on the 6i today, from the catback. the protege was super quiet with a similar setup, but the 6 is pretty loud, and sounds like a civic. don't like that very much. maybe i'll use the stock resonator. the OEM exhaust doesn't look that bad, though i thought the dual exhausts were unnecessary, considering that it was one just for the "look." I probably saved a lot of weight though, the stock pieces were very heavy. the car looks good, but i don't know if I'll keep the magnaflow on in its current state. power seems better, but that could be psychological thing.
  • Options
    Could you elaborate a little narenji? Did you convert to a single exhaust? How much weight do you think was saved?

I've wondered how heavy the exhaust is, and whether it'd be worth it to replace it for weight savings.
  • Options
    yes i converted it to a single exhaust. the stock piping was 2 1/4 in crush bent to the Y-pipe in the back, and less than 2 in crush bent for the axle back muffler piping. i added the stock resonator onto the system to quiet it down a bit, and to make it sound a little less civic-y. it sounds good now, more like a larger displacement 4 cyl, esp on the autox track. the muffler is a straight through magnaflow, 2 1/4 inlet/outlet.

I couldn't say exactly how much weight i may have saved, but the remaining stock exhaust pieces weigh 60lbs (20 for each muffler section, and 20 for the piping from the resonator to the y-pipe). judging from the weight of my wrx exhaust, i'd say i saved about 20-25 lbs off the stock exhaust. i have the heavy resonator still. the aftermarket piping is much lighter... the performance gains are evident, with more pull everywhere.
  • Options
    thanks for the update... sounds like a nice upgrade.

What'd you do for a catylitic converter? High-flow, bypass, or neither?
  • Options
    the cat is stock. most muffler shops in so.cal are getting a little scared of taking out factory cats due to the stiff penalties. and this was at a shop known to most people as pretty much an aftermarket muffler shop. Some guy had come in with an older civic needing a new cat, and the owner of the muffler shop said he had to get a new cat from the dealer...

the exhaust is a nice upgrade, and i only did cause i had that muffler lying around.

i also got new wheels put on yesterday. i got 17x7 rally sparco tarmac wheels from america's tire co. (or discount tire direct on the internet), they're 48 offset, and only 15.4 lbs ea! I took the tires off my wrx (225/45/17 kumhos) because that size was rubbing with my eibach springs. so i have the new wheels with slightly used kumhos, but at least i didn't have to buy 4 new tires... the new wheels are significantly lighter than the stock 16" wheels. I'll post a pic on the other mazda6 gathering place online sometime.
  • Options
    gkandragkandra Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a Mazda 6 but the dealer didn't have any on the lot with a moonroof. So I had the dealer add into the purchase the addition of a moonroof being installed. What is everyone's thoughts on getting a moonroof installed outside of the factory? Is it worth it or should I back out? I can live without the moonroof but I can't live with one possibly leaking everytime it rains. What are everyone's thoughts? Thanks.
  • Options
    I've always heard that aftermarket moonroofs will start to leak at somepoint, a lot sooner than OEM moonroofs. there are some good companies making moonroofs, but it's a risk, IMHO.
  • Options
    Also ensure they repair broken seals, leaks, blown motors or what-not.

Someone here knows the name of the aftermarket company (yes!) that supplies Mazda's moonroofs. If its the same brand, and the job is done well, I don't see how it should be any worse than new.

I almost got an aftermarket moonroof and leather on mine, but then I found a place that had the car equipped better, and less wheeling/dealing on accessories was needed.
  • Options
    MP3, Cassette, Autodim/Homelink/Compass mirror, and all weather floor and cargot mat/tray with the popup cargo organizer.

The MP3 player is (of course) the highlight, though. Took a CD with some random MP3s on it, and it is awesome! 'Disc Change' skips from one folder to the next, and you can even intro scan MP3s, and also rewind and forward them in approximately 8-10 second blips. Oddly enough, the only way to really skip songs seems to be to use the steering wheel mounted buttons. Using the scan button does the 4-5 second intro scan thing. Using the lower part of the scan button, aptly labelled "Display", makes it cycle through the directory/folder name, ID3 Title, artist and one more field. Not all my songs have accurate ID3 (version 1) tagging, so I'll ave to rectify that. But having 10 hours of music on one disc is going to be so worth it! I might not miss XM Radio as badly as before any more.

The cargo organizer is cool - pops up, has bungee-cord and net compartments, reconfigurable to be small or large, has cup/bottle holder recesses (detailing stuff!) and a great non-slip surface, just like the cargo tray under it. And its easy to remove if you need/want the flat loading surface of the entire trunk (rare!)

The floor mats are nice as well - thick, non-slip, great grooves to catch mud/grass/dust/water (!) and everything looks like it'll be easy to clean with just a high pressure hose & possibly soapy water.

The cssette player has the unexpected and welcomed song skip feature (using steering wheel controls)! Although I understand this puts a lot of wear on the heads as they are in constant contact with the tape surface to detect silent spots (song breaks).
  • Options
    Ashu, I thought the same thing about the control for changing tracks, but I finally found the button on the dash - it's the round button to the left, below the CD slot, marked "track" in the middle. When in CD/MP3 mode, up/down will change tracks (the other functions work with other audio modes: cass, etc.). Of course, the steering wheel buttons are usually more convenient!

I was thinking about picking up the cargo net, but maybe I'll have to take another look at the organizer. Thanks for the review!
  • Options
    Thanks for the initial praise for the MP3 player, which prompted me to switch my order from 6CD to MP3. I love it.

I'll take some pics of everything (especially the cargo tray and the pop-up/removable organizer) soon and post them you-know-where.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Has anyone added side-mounted blinkers a'la the Euro-spec cars pictured here? The U.S. Tribute has them, but the 6 doesn't. Most European cars (BMW, Volvo, Volkswagen, etc.) sold in the U.S. have them. Is such an addition easily possible, and how would one obtain the parts to do so?
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Any bling-bling tuner shop will sell you clear sidemarkers and install them for under $200 CAD - Check around in your town.

Dinu
  • Options
    cop414cop414 Member Posts: 68
    Corvette,
    The link you have for the side "body blinkers" also lists as an accessory aluminum pedals. I assume from what I read this site is possibly British. I would love to have the aluminum pedals-has anyone else seen these or have any idea how one would go about ordering them? I would also like to know how hard/easy they would be to install. I'll check with Mazdastuff.com and see if they have any information. If anyone else knows please let me know. Thanks
  • Options
    cop414cop414 Member Posts: 68
    I just checked mazdastuff.com-nothing listed, although they have added items since I was last on and ordered my trunk liner. I was unable to access their email, I will call them this week and post any info.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Thanks for the suggestion. I had no idea they were considered bling-bling! I just think that the automotive lighting standards in this country are outdated and that we should get the same superior and safer goods sold in the Euro market.
  • Options
    Dinu, the blinkers corvette is speaking about actually require rewiring to BLINK when the turn signals are activated. The color is irrelevant.

What you are thinking about is the clear side marker lights that are, in your opinion, bling-bling!

In Europe, most cars have side blinkers that blink. Ours int he US light up when any of the three headlight beams (including park) are on - which is kinda inadequate. More decontenting for the US-spec Mazda6!
  • Options
    Standard side blinkers should be just that - standard equipment. I still don't see why we don't get the same features as in Europe - headlights washers, side blinkers, rear fog light, stability ctrl, etc...

I was just refering to shops that sell what I call "bling-bling" stuff, not saying the lights are bling-bling -> these guys can drill and wire a pair of side blinkers for your M6 so it can look and function just like the pic you showed.

Dinu
    Blinkers don't have to be bling-bling, but they sure must blink - or something like that :)
  • Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    I hate to rain on your picnic, but you should keep in mind that the color of side markers may be mandated by state law. I think most states require side marker lights to be yellow. Your state laws my vary.
  • Options
    The cover can be clear/blue/pink/whatever as long as the bulb is amber and amber/yellow light flashes when activated - same as in the 99-03 PRO sedan.

Dinu
  • Options
    ... getting a blue cover and getting it to flash amber. Blue is not a component of orange. With Pink, however, you could still get a kinda-amber color - if you used a reddish-yellow bulb (more yellow)
  • Options
    Just giving an example. I did take Grade 9 Visual Arts to know that :)

Dinu
  • Options
    ... just kidding around there, Dinu - not challenging your color mixing skills or knowledge ;)
  • Options
    johnclineii and others may be interested in knowing that I'll *probably* have XM installed professionally (unless someone local wants to help with a Saturday afternoon project - for agreed-upon real/friendly compensation) in my 6.

The Alpine FM-modulated XM unit is highly rated and some great deals are available.

When (if) I have it done (possibly a few weeks - no free time coming up!) - I'll post my review. In the interim - feel free to pipe in with suggestions/advice/whatever - I'm considering having them do a flush mount of the unit control panel in my ashtray location, with a surround panel to make it look even, and cutting out bits of plastic to make it site and look right. It'll use (and hence, eliminate) the cigarette lighter output there, though.
  • Options
    Whether I do it myself or have the same shop do it for me - anyone have any speaker suggestions?

The 6 takes 6x8 (and, possibly, 5x7) in all 4 doors. I'm looking for something matched, that (preferably) can still use the existing tweeters and the associated HPF (crossover) circuitry. Also, something that can do well without amplification, and won't require addition of a sub/amp in the future - so decent bass is a must.

Again, I'm only a wannabe-audiophile, so I'm not looking for a kick-^$$ system - just a substantial, inexpensive (kinda) improvement over the stock setup driven from the stock head unit (which I will NOT ever replace - I love the MP3/ID3 text and text/CD-TEXT display &integration as well as the steering wheel controls).

Reminder - I don't already have Bose. So what's the speaker impedance?

Stretch (when you get back from vacation, I guess!)? Anyone?
  • Options
    kylerckylerc Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone found a suitable mud flap for the front (with gfx pgk), Mazda offers rear custom fit but I drive a lot of gravel roads!
  • Options
    cubfan2cubfan2 Member Posts: 18
    I am car-installation challenged...any idea how much it would cost to upgrade my basic crappy car stereo in the 6? I'd like to get an amp, speakers and/or sub woofer? Could Tweeter or someone install this? Or do I give it up and just listen to FM as Stretchjse suggests...
  • Options
    I'm just learning about all this stuff myself :)

I'll paraphrase others (including Stretch) and guess that you'd be looking at
    $100-ish for the amp or amps
    $150-ish for two pairs of decent speakers
    $100-ish for an OK sub (and extra for another amp to power it!)

You COULD use a 2-channel amp for the front speakers, and reuse the front speaker output for the front speakers from the stock head unit to power the rear speakers instead (because the rear channel amps on the stock head unit are weaker). And then you need another 2-channel (or, actually, just 1-channel) subwoofer amp. What's the feasibility of getting a 4-channel amp with a Low Pass Filter crossover for the sub on one/two channels, and using the other two channels for the front speakers, Stretch - or anyone else?

Tweeter/Best Buy would charge you mondo big bucks for installation - in the 125+ through 200 price range for all that, I'd guess. For that kind of money I'd rather let professional installers at an audio shop work on mine, on those things I decide not to experiment with and install myself :)

Watch for special deals at Best Buy/Circuit Ciyt when one pair of speakers is half off with a second full price one. Or buy online. Or buy (barely) used off ebay :)
  • Options
    cubfan2cubfan2 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks Ashuto...oh well! Best listen to the engine then!
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    stay away from the rear channels on the base 6. I've heard that frequency response is inverse to that of the more normal front channels.

Your best bet is running a 5 channel fully crossed over amp off of the front channels and replacing the door speakers with 2/3-ways. A simple low dollar sub in the trunk should round it out.
  • Options
    tsservotsservo Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, I'm pretty confident I'll be acquiring a 6 in the next few weeks (I'm waiting to see what's kicking around at the end of year sales in a few weeks - I'd do it during this promo they have now but the sport package isn't eligible for it).

I do however have a few questions around the MP3 player for the 6. First, is this something I can order when I get the car? I haven't seen this as an option when I build the car on Mazda's site, and the dealers I call don't seem to know about it (not encouraging). I can however find it on mazdastuff.com

If I buy it separately from Mazdastuff.com, is this something that I can install myself with some patience? I've installed stereos and speakers (no amps though) before, but they were all DIN models that aren't as tightly integrated as this one appears to be.

Should I get the Bose package if I plan on getting the MP3 player? It includes the 6 disc changer which I assume will have to be removed to install the MP3 player. Seems like a bit of a waste to me.

If I don't get the Bose, what's the audio sound like? What are my upgrade options? I could probably do some nice things with the extra $360 kicking around (~$635 for the Bose - ~$270 for the MP3). Does the base come with tweeters and sub or will I have to put those in?

Lastly, does anyone have any comments on the MP3 player? What features does it have? Can you put files into folders and navigate that way, or do they have to go in root? Song shuffle?

I saw before that someone had a manual for it in PDF, can I still get a copy of it?

Thanks.

</tss>
  • Options
    Here's what I know about the MP3 player for the 6:

I don't think the MP3 player is available as an installed option, like the cassette deck or minidisc player. I asked my salesman about it when we were writing up the deal, and he knew basically nothing about the MP3 unit. After I bought and drove home my 6, I looked around and found that my options were to buy the MP3 unit through the dealer's parts department, or buy it from mazdastuff.com - for $131 cheaper.

I went with mazdastuff.com, and I was extremely happy with their customer service. My husband and I installed the unit ourselves, mainly because we had adequate directions, and we didn't want to wait until we could find the time to get back to the dealer (over 30 miles away). It is definitely possible - and it sounds like you have more experience then we did. Be prepared - you have to take A LOT of parts out of the car before the stereo unit can be removed. It was hard to see our beautiful car in pieces, but the end result is totally worth it.

I don't have the Bose package, so I can't comment on the difference in sound quality. I've been quite happy with the stock stereo. The 6-disc changer would have to be exchanged for the MP3 player; there is only room for one of the units in the stereo rack. Then again, since 12-13 discs of MP3s can fit on one CD, do you really need the 6-disc changer? I also don't know much about upgrading the stock stereo, but I know others around here have done it.

I think this MP3 player is great. You can definitely have separate folders (say one for each album), and the stereo moves through the folders as if they were discs in a multi-disc changer. I believe song shuffle is also an option, as well as song scan (10 sec. of each song). The display shows 10 characters at a time, but can be scrolled with a dial to show the rest of the information. The display can show 6 different pieces of information (switched by using a button): CD#/Song time - File name - Folder name - Song title (ID3) - Artist name (ID3) - Album name (ID3). It only accepts ID3 V.1, which is too bad, but good enough. Variable bit rate can also be used.

I've got a copy of the manual in PDF, which I'd be happy to email your way - hopefully it should answer most of your questions about features, at least. Post your email address and I'll send it off.
  • Options
    ... thanks for your detailed description of the MP3 player for me 5 weeks ago (which you've repeated here). That prompted me to switch my upgrade order from a 6-Disc to the MP3, and I'm loving it :)

Also, having looked at the instructions, I feel like I would've been able to install it, no problem, as well - I had already negotiated the *installed* price with the dealership though. Its a different story that they scratched and had to replace my console (my guess is they let the console sit/land on the gearshifter with the knob removed!
  • Options
    I figured I might as well share my knowledge about the MP3 player, as I actually have some experience with it - and I don't know much else about cars. =) Edmunds is helping me learn though.

They let the console land on the shifter?!? Eek! We were SOOOO careful with the console as we removed it, covering all the surfaces with towels just in case we dropped it. I'm glad to hear the dealer replaced it - I certainly wouldn't tolerate a scratch I didn't create myself!
  • Options
    buxfanbuxfan Member Posts: 2
    I was reading the latest MotorTrend and they mentioned in their one year test update on the '03 6 that a 2004 MazdaSpeed version was on the way. they hinted that this model would get more HP under the hood. has anyone heard or know of any links to check out data supporting that information?
This discussion has been closed.