Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Scion xB - Hip to be square

Comments

• Options
    tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I got my first ticket in the xB. I was traveling in the left lane (fewer bumps) and I have a 15 year old F150 that leaves it sitting still. We both pass the cop around the same time (a few car lengths). Cop pulls out and the F150 slams on their brakes. The truck is going around 50 (estimate) now. I just continue keeping the speed just 5 over. Cop sees the xB, pulls me over and gives me a ticket for 74 in a 55.

Their is one lucky truck owner tonight.

Don't worry, I will fight this one.
  • Options
    brazucabrazuca Member Posts: 95
    Hi everybody, I got my xB....I'm very happy, it's a great & fun car to drive.

I have a question, even though I applied the clear film protection the first day of ownership, I was driving to work and got a ding on the hood from a stone....bad luck. It's small, but I want to fix it. I already cleaned the area, applied a few coats of paint with a toothpick and will start a light waxing process tomorrow morning to smooth it out and try to make it almost disappear. Any suggestions ? I'm afraid that maybe I'll have to repaint the hood. :cry:

The square profile of the xB will cause more dings, but hey, I love the car anyway. ;)

Any suggestions ?
  • Options
    jimw0238jimw0238 Member Posts: 65
    buy the little black bra that goes on the front of the hood. it looks good and halps to protect. i have seen them on ebay.
  • Options
    jmac23jmac23 Member Posts: 1
    I pressed the back lid realease and pulled up on the trim piece (usual method of opening) and the whole thing broke off with the lights, wiring and realease button all still attached. Epoxy only works tempoarily.....what to do?

I love the car and have 53k on my 04 XB. No other complaints - wish I had an armrest - who makes the best one (aftermarket)?
  • Options
    scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Anyone see the Feb. edition of Car and Driver magazine?
    They compared
    Scion xB
    Honda Element
    Chrysler PT Cruiser
    and
    Chevy HHR

First place went to the xB!
  • Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I know the cost is about $10,000 different and therefore it may seem odd to cross shop the new RAV4 and the Scion xB but that is what I am doing.

For those that have sat in both, how does the interior size compare?

My wife and I have one child (18 mos) and another on the way and I am tall enough to need whatever seat I am in to be all the way back. The two children will be in car seats. One front facing for a while.

The interior space on the xB really appeals to me. My local dealers (central Ohio) do not have any RAVs yet so I am trying to get an impression of the size.
  • Options
    I saw a new RAV4 in the showroom. The xB rear seat is still bigger. However, that cargo area is much bigger in the RAV4 to carry the kids stuff
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I had to take down a post with some images in it that were too wide. Images wider than about 500 pixels will force the meassage area of the forum under the right side video bar, making it difficult to read the posts and do some things that the hosts need to do.

If you have an image to share, please check the image properties before inserting it into a post. If it's wider than 500 pixels, just type the URL of the image into your post. That way it will display as a link, and others can click on the link and open a new window with the image. That way, we get to see the image in all its full sized glory, and we avoid the margin issue.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Any idea when the 2006.5 models will appear in the midwest. These are the ones with steeringwheel Audio controls. Local dealers only seem to have 2006s.
  • Options
    Saw the new 3.0 on the website, Envy Green with TV's in it, Its definitely different.

My other observation is that Salsa Red Pearl takes the place of BCP (Black Cherry Pearl).

Personally, I would have liked to have that color.
  • Options
    Has anyone seen the Salsa Red Pearl at a dealer or any 2006.5 xBs for that matter? Local dealers seem to have only 2006 models (which lack audio controls on the steering wheel)
  • Options
    Interesting - but isn't North America getting a different version this time?
  • Options
    Probably take till March to see them.

I like the inside of the bb, but the outside looks PT Cruiser.
  • Options
    nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    lol, is that a cupholder in the door armrest?
  • Options
    Beleive it or not my dealer just got in some 2006.5s so they are starting to arrive in central Ohio.
  • Options
    I was glad to see an Onyx Blue xB 2006.5 with the audio controls at my dealer today.

I test drove a RAV 4 Sport 4 cylinder and it was very nice. Good pep for a 4 cylinder - about the same as my old 03 4 cy Accord. 160 hp 2.4 L 4 cy. 18" alloy wheels. Cruise, moon roof and all the goodies.

Believe it or not I am cross shopping with Scion xB and Honda Element for a family of 2 adults and 2 infants. I am also considering an Odyssey Minivan or Nissan Murano. I am frugal and will go for whatever meets the need. I am tall at 6' 4" with a 36 inch inseam and the RAV fits great thanks to the telescoping wheel and seat adjustments. This also leaves plenty of backseat even if I am comfy.

The RAV is a much more practical choice for me than the xB -- even more back seat and decent storage. I like the xB's unique looks and great interior space and it appeals to my frugal side. But it lacks cargo room and some amenities like cruise. In sum, the xB is a great every day around town car but the RAV4 would be a road trip car. I like the sport because you get a neat black interior. Inside is very functional and it goes for about $25k (about $10k more than xB). A better choice for my needs than an Element given the interior space and 5 door config.
  • Options
    I like my xB, but it has limited cargo space for trips. Its the downside of getting the huge back seat. For two people, the back seat can always be lowered, but I haven't taken it on a trip yet. I always end up taking my 95 Corolla instead.

Having said that, the xB is wonderful commuter, but the Corolla has a trunk for longer trips.

My wife asked me if I was buying a car this year, what would I get? I probably would make the same decison, but I do like the new Yaris and the new Camry.

If I ever have any children, the xB would be a wonderful car for a baby seat since its so huge.

By the way, Cruise is a $350 option.
  • Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Did you drive the new model RAV? There is a significantly better version out now, check out the toyota.com website.
  • Options
    Thanks - it was the new (2006) model that I test drove and I liked it a great deal.
  • Options
    birdi47birdi47 Member Posts: 1
    I can't believe it. I just bought a Toyota Matrix 4 MOnth ago, and today i was told that a rock hit the condenser and I'm going to have to pay 750$ plus tax. If I would have known that, I probably wouldn't have got the car :mad:
  • Options
    Anyone using an xB as a family car for 2 infants? I am intrigued by the car and the value but a little concerned about safety.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    2 infants has nothing to do with it. It isn't more dangerous for 2 infants strapped in car seats than it will be for you. Think about your own personal safety.
  • Options
    Okay well I see 3 and 4 stars on NHSTA for the xB. It's no Honda Odyssey in the safety department but other than Subaru Forester (unfortunately too small a back seat) small SUVs do not seem to do so well.
  • Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Don't forget it's covered by your car insurance, less your deductible. Of course it might affect your insurance rates...

BTW, you aren't the first person this has happened to. I have read several complaints on Edmunds about damaged condensors.
  • Options
    I saw a lady at the dealership last week with one baby seat in the middle and two (just out of the seat) on the two outer seats of the whole back seat.

In terms of saftey, Its very safe for its size. I know someone that saw a wrecked xB crunched on front and rear. The passenger compartment was unscathed. Have no idea the speed of the impact. The laws of physics prevails, like my xB hitting my Tundra. The Tundra will obivously win the battle.

The rear sear is huge. You can put baby seats in it, and have room for the parents. LOL
  • Options
    I'm 35, and February will be a year of ownership. Also own a Tundra, Corolla, and a Sunnybrook RV.

Basically, its a nice commuter car. I have the five speed and since its gear low, it has plenty of power. Its faster than the Celica I had before it. (91 GT) However, a Toyota Echo with the same engine will leave in the dust. The Echo is lighter.

Overall, the car is real comfortable, it gets at least 34 mpg, no matter what, and its fun to drive.

Any specific questions?

PS: It rides high, but its still much lower to the ground from the Tundra.
  • Options
    hondacivic2002hondacivic2002 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Tundradude! Hmmm, any specific questions? How does the Scion xB do on the highway? I've heard mixed reviews in terms of comfort. This would mostly be a commuter car for me (40 miles round trip per day, minimum) but I'm looking at the xB in terms of possibilities with space. Would it be a good car to do a cross country run with?

Has anyone else taken the xB for a cross country spin?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Looks like Jim covered it. It appears that we are the same age.

I drive 60 miles a day minimum and its a very comfortable commuter. You just have to hold on to it with it is extremely windy. Like Jim says, it handles nicely. The seats are very comfortable.

I haven't driven my further than 2 counties away. On a long trip, I rather take my 95 Corolla. I keep telling my wife that someday we will take it on a longer drive.

In terms of space, flip the button, and with the back seats down, it gives lots of room for carrying capacity. Thats cool if there is only 2 of you.
  • Options
    hondacivic2002hondacivic2002 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone on this forum know if the xB will make a comeback for 2007-2008? I've heard rumors that the xB will no longer be produced. Any merit to these rumors? Anyone?
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Scion will continue to have three models. xB as it currently exists will be offered in 2006 and is it expected that this is the final year. Will the new bB be the replacement for the xB? Scion/Toyota has not made public it's plans. Will just have to be patient and see in the Fall.
  • Options
    odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    Here is the xB if I was to decide to go this route.

Vehicle - 2006 Scion xB (automatic)
    Color - Thunder Cloud Metallic
    Exterior - Rear Taillights by TYC - $275*
    Fog Lights - $350
    Rear Spoiler - $385
    Interior - Scion Security - $469
    Color Steering Wheel - $279*
    Sound - Pioneer AM/FM/CD Std - $0
    Wheels - 15" EM 7-spk Alloy - $665
    Perform - TRD Sprt Muffler - $399*
    TRD Frnt Strut Tie Bar - $245
    TRD Rear Sway Bar - $250
    *install not included

Base - $14,830
    Del, Proc, Handl - $540
    Accessories - $3,396*
    Grand Total - $18,766*

I'm figuring I will get anywhere from $8,500 to $10,000 as a trade in for my '01 Escape which would put me in the $200 - $170 per month for 60 month range ($210 - $180 per month after the install charges for the accessories).
    I want an honest opinion from current xB owners does this sound about right?

Odie

P.S. - The xB already has been named Gray Ghost by my 3yr old daughter. All of my vehicles have had a name and my wife blames me for corrupting our daughter. :shades:
  • Options
    TTL, title, taxes and license plate

Its also customary to pay a dealer handling fee. This ranges from dealer to dealer. Mine was in the high 200's.

My xb was 15,173.30 in 2-05. This included 5 options. My out the door price was 15,933. Otherwise, its roughly a $760 dollar difference which was the TTL and dealer handling fee.
  • Options
    I'm keeping my plate (I have a Wildlife Rescue PA plate), so that won't cost anything, and taxes and tags wont be that bad.

Also forgot to mention they will install a tilt and slide sunroof (with sliding shade) for $850 installed if I want it. Debating dropping the 3 TRD accessories and just adding the Sunroof and Exhaust Tip ($64)

Odie
  • Options
    Make sure you get this.
  • Options
    If you haven't checked, you will save a lot of money in insurance premiums. The xB is only a 7. My 91 Celica was a 13.
  • Options
    does the Front Tie Bar and Rear Sway Bar make that much of a difference?

Talked to wife and she said we don't need the sunroof but it would be up to me if I want the Tie Rod / Sway Bar / Muffler or Sunroof (not all 4).

Also Delivery, Processing & Handling fee = $540 so that's already included into the price of the vehicle.

Odie
  • Options
    aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    The strut tie bar and rear sway bar are racing accessories. You can decide whether you need them.

The strut tie bar assumes that hard driving causes the upper fender wells to move. Since the upper fender wells are where the struts mount, movement there would affect the alignment of the struts and therefore affect the handling.

The rear sway bar ties the rear suspension together so that the body leans less. This makes the car corner flatter. However, it reduces suspension movement a little, which can cause the inside wheel unload and lift on a hard turn.

One suspension mod that everybody agrees on the need for is the replacement of the rear shocks. The OEM KYB rear shocks are stiff and bumpy. While the stiffness helps cornering, it gives an uncomfortable ride. People replace the KYBs with SensaTracs for the Echo. SensaTracs are made for Tenneco in various countries and sold under the Monroe and NAPA brand names. The shocks cost about $75/pair and take 20 minutes to change with a couple of wrenches. Jacking or wheel removal are not part of the process.
  • Options
    Since its a box. I personally like the safety of having my front bar and it also handles very well. The rear sway bar is a new 06 option.

Be wary of aftermarket sunroofs. I have one on my 95 Corolla and it whistles and it also needs periodic adjustment. Their is no substitute for a factory one.

Here again, a xB is all personal preference. No two xB's are alike unless they did not get any options.

Mine was 585 for that same fee.

One more heads up if you haven't read about this earlier, but the Good Year Eagle LS tires that come on the xB are scary to drive in the heavy rains. Putting it this way, its a good thing the xB comes with traction control and ABS.
  • Options
    jimw0238jimw0238 Member Posts: 65
    my 2006 xb is thunder cloud too. i have 15" empi (color matched right out of the box)p/n# f-10 alloys(9 spoke)- they were $105 each from americas tire co. also, you can find the factory fog lights on ebay for $195
    there is also a large selection of altezza (aftermarket) taillights on ebay starting at $@40 a pair. mine were only $92 with shipping to my door!
    food for thought... ;)
  • Options
    "... I personally like the safety of having my front bar..."

How is the strut bar related to safety?
  • Options
    The sunroof place has been doing sunroofs and interiors about 30 years. They are very highly recomended (had my '98 Stratus done there) and alot of Dealers send there vehicles there from PA, NY, DE, MD, and NJ. This place has done so many of each vehicle it's almost like getting it from the factory.

As for the Tie rod and Sway bar, the reason I ask, there are alot of twisty roads around the Central PA area and you don't have to drive very far to hit mountainous type roads. I wasn't sure if they helped because of the top heavy nature of the vehicle. Now I know this thing is not meant to be driven like a sports car. But sometimes it's not the cars fault but the twistyness of the roads during a corner that can cause it.

Odie
  • Options
    "... I know this thing is not meant to be driven like a sports car."

It can be, and many people do. The Scion xB compares closely to a Minicooper:
    Both weigh about 2,400 lbs and have 16-valve VVT engines. The Mini just has 100 more cc and 8 more HP.
  • Options
    My wife shot down the idea of getting a vehicle that would save us money on gas and the final price.
    She has a bad case of "Silver-H-itis", She said "She refuses to buy a vehicle that looks like a box." But insists that we go look at a Pilot, Commander, and Grand Cherokee (all of which we could buy 2 xB's for the price of 1, when equiped). So it looks like I'm not going to be getting the xB.

On another note, I had my vehicle appraised on Sat and the dealer said they could only give me $4500 as a trade-in value. I laughed and walked right out. Got called today and he asked me what they did wrong that caused me to leave, and I told him "The Kelley BB trade value is $9,000 on the normally equiped vehicle. If they can't even get close to that, then don't bother", and I hung up. Now with the added extra's that I had put on I would expect at least $10,000, but would take $9,000 because of some surface scratches from a minor scuff at work (local Ford Body shop quoted me today to repair at $603.00 for Hood, Fender and Driver Door).

It has been nice talking to you all, if my wife would come to her senses, I'll let you know if I go the xB route.

Odie
  • Options
    I like the saftey of having it because of the tall-box design. It handles very well. I like it for the emergency handling.

Interesting tidbit: My wife liked the xB the best when we test drove serveral cars. I also let her pick the color.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who purchased a Lexus, Toyota or Scion vehicle and what led you to purchase that vehicle. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, April 5, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • Options
    knockhellknockhell Member Posts: 2
    My wife also shot down the xB the first time i showed it to her. then i cajoled her to test drive- as soon as she was inside it, she changed her mind.
    now she even loves the shape and says "hello boxy" everytime she walks to it.
    ;)
  • Options
    gorgegorge Member Posts: 2
    Odie, it is too bad your wife refuses to own a box. I'm 73 and drove race cars when I was young. Our sweetheart xB tackles high winds like it wasn't there-no sway or anything. The configuration of the seats inside is darn convenient with the lay down seats. Any young mother with kids is missing a bet with this car. We get 32 MPG on highway. Takes hills better than the Honda Accord we owned. I had tough hide (black) sprayed around the lower part of my xB-it's slick, shiny and easy to care for and there are no spots from road tar. (Tough hide is what they spray pickup beds with). The black lower section sets our silver xB off to a "T". Scion makes a mistake marketing this car to the young set. It is a senior citizen's dream. I've owned over 250 cars in my lifetime and the only other car that I felt so much affection for was our 1971 Volksawgen bus that went 250,000 miles with out touching the motor except for tune ups. The Scion is to my estimation the best road handling car on the road-no exceptions-and I've driven new Cads, Mercedes, BMW's and the like on demonstration-they don't compare. Maybe my xB is a rarity, but I can take a 30 mile curve at 65 without any sway even when there is no super in the curve. Tell you wife that when we bought our xB, all we got was praise from people in parking lots, and there were plenty of people that come over to look at it. We were driving against 60 mile winds along the Columbia River at 70 and no sway. Three cars followed us off the freeway to a rest stop to ask us how come our xB didn't sway on the road. We all know the answer to that.
  • Options
    Private email. Any way I can see the bedliner spray on your xB?
  • Options
    waycoolmomwaycoolmom Member Posts: 1
    Odie, i'm a female, 48 and i have a brand new silver BMW 325i, and i'm begging my hubby for a Boxy XB!!!

We have boxer dogs, SPOILED ROTTEN might I add, and my husband is a two car NASCAR race team crew chief and manager, and driving to Irwindale Speedway every saturday with all our food loaded and two doggies is NOT PRACTICAL!!!
    I see all kinds of tricked out Scion Xb's at the track when i get there,, and I want one for me and our doggies. I'm also a real estate agent, so that would be fun to 'tour' people around in.

keep showing your wife pictures of the tricked out XB's Maybe she'll come around.

Show her my letter. I'm 100% female, and I believe that if a car doesn't make 'a statement' about who you are, why bother driving it? Have her test drive one. That usually 'seals the deal' ha ha. ;)