Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda3

Comments

• Options
    groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    The next car that Mazda is giving the MazdaSpeed treatment to in North America is the Mazda6, followed - I think - by the Mazda3. Probably at least 15-18 months from seeing that version.

They will want to introduce the Speed about halfway through the Mazda3 life cycle to re-generate interest.
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    why do you think the next speed will be a 6 and not the rx-8? just wondering.

I have confirmed it will be one of them but thats all I can get from mazda.
  • Options
    gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    Another forum that shall remain unnamed here claims that a MazdaSpeed 3 with 240 hp and AWD will be available around 2006.

As is always the case, this particular rumor does a poor job of citing a reliable source.
  • Options
    maxxmaxx Member Posts: 4
    Was thinking about mileage when gas hit .99 per litre in Canada. Looks like the the 2.0l with Auto has a lower numeric final drive compared with the 2.3. From the C&D review the 2.3 is spinning up around 2700 at 60mph. The 2.0 must be a bit lower and this could be why its mileage spec is better. Too bad Mazda hadn't put a more fuel efficient final drive in the 2.3. Maybe now that gas prices are going up in the US they will re-think this approach. I may go with a Corolla because of its better mileage.
  • Options
    tonytouchtonytouch Member Posts: 13
    Wall Street Journal had an article today about this huge study in germany about auto breakdowns. Mazda finished #1- broke down the least of any car. Porsche's breakdown rate was 100% higher!
  • Options
    cdnp5cdnp5 Member Posts: 163
    As you already know, you can get what car you want but you still might want to consider the Mz3. The cost difference for fuel would be around $200/year which I consider a small price for a more fun to drive car. If fuel economy is your first concern, why not the TDI? It get much better mileage than both of these cars. You could still get the 2.0 in the Mazda which does return good mileage and is still fun to drive. The Mazda has more hp and torque then the Toyota also. I also think the Mz3 has a much newer and fresh look to it where the Corolla is already looking dated, but looks are subjective.
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Another happy Protege owner takes the next logical step! You're about 11 months ahead of me ...

Meade
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Thanks!

We're still keeping the PRO - I just drove it yesterday - it has 79565kms on it and drives sooooo well :) Couldn't be happier with it. What a GLC!

Dinu
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    How do they determine what a breakdown is?

According to Mazda my AC is not broken - even though it does not cool the car when temperature hits 85 degrees, my (rear) brakes are not broken even though they make a grinding sound when I stop and leave large amounts of brake dust on the wheels. Ever since Mazda fixed my check engine light (it took 3 trips to the dealer) I have been averaging only 19 MPG - I was getting a less that great 22 - so the repair only reduced it by 3 MPG - I have not ask Mazda - but I doubt they consider this a problem.

I would rather have a car that breaks down - and can be fixed - rather that one that does not have "any recognized problem" and therefore can not be fixed.
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    how long has it been that Dinu was talking about getting a new car? I'm trying to remember if I have my people straight, but wasn't thing a long planned thing?

Either way, have fun with the new car.

I'm sure Dale will check her crib notes and let me know if I'm thinking right or not.
  • Options
    I've been contemplating this for a while (see roughly 2 years?), got a 91 Maxima last June which I still have (until the 3 arrives), then wanted the 3 since Nov 2003 but didn't think I could get it before Sept or so this year. But I managed to get it - well order it to be precise :)

I'll snap a pic or two of the 3 and the PRO together when the 3 arrives here by late June to mid-July :)

BTW, does Dale have any new car stories for us? Missed the chat last nite.
  • Options
    jmanwayjmanway Member Posts: 2
    So I just purchased a brand new strato blue 3S w/ AT, moonroof, spoiler, andsport package. I paid 18,125 for the car and I feel like I got a great deal as this is more than 600 below the TMV on edmunds. I can't say I've experienced any of the problems w/ the air conditioner or the breaks as you guys have stated...and I literally drove the car off the lot and onto the highway for a 1200 mile road trip. The car was a dream. Not a single out of place noise or shudder. My only complaint was that while driving in the state of Indiana (the definition of the word flat) the wind blew the car around like it was made out of tin foil. And for all of you who'll jump all over me for taking a brand new car out on such a trip, I consulted the manual and the dealer before doing so and they said that as long as I didn't use the cruise control, there were no other break-in recommendations for the first 600 miles.
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I think that taking a 1,200 miles trip would be the best way to break in a new engine.
  • Options
    jmanwayjmanway Member Posts: 2
    That's what I thought!!! And my bad, by the way... according to Edmunds I only paid 6$ above invoice. I just can't stop feeling excited about this car.
  • Options
    Let's just say that's what I have heard and leave it at that. I consider it to be very reliable information.
  • Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Yes, Dinu has been talking about getting a 3 for a little while now...congrats, dude!!! (A graduation present for yourself, perhaps? ;) )

And if you guys would get your butts to chat on Tuesday nights, you would know how my car is doing. :P
  • Options
    birdman579birdman579 Member Posts: 151
    I took my 93 Saturn to the dealer today and found out I need $1700 worth of repairs. They're not pulling a fast one, but I said no thanks and went directly to the closest Mazda dealer.

I wanted to take a 2.3 with the 5-speed for a test drive and they don't have any! Only the base model and only automatics. Quite frustrating. I want one with everything except navigation in Lava Orange. The salesman checked all the cars in the area and there aren't any that meet my description. He said I can order one and receive one in about 12 weeks. I hope my car lasts that long.

I also looked at the Acura TSX, there's an 8 week wait for one of those. Crazy. I live in Maryland, is it this bad elsewhere? I thought we were still in a recession?! How can everyone afford to buy these nice cars :)
  • Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    I can't tell by looking at those crash test results - are they good? That must be a Japanese test, right?
  • Options
    I didn't bother looking too much at them now - I also have to work at work :)

Will have a look on the weekend, but they are for the HB and I got the sedan, so they might not be 100% accurate...

Dale: More or less - I wanted it and now I can actually have it - plus the Maxi while good, is not fun to drive at all.
  • Options
    creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/openpic.php?name=../picture_library/- - - dir_30/car_portal_pic_15159.jpg
    It'll even have LED headlights
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/*tag*_news_story.php?id=47433

Hey if I get relocate to a foreign country, make sure I'll get one just to show America can't get it at any price.

Lately I saw a Mondeo w/ Mexican plate just south of the border. I wonder how cool it is to bring one over here to show it off, & I can always cross the border for factory services/repairs.

I wonder what's the matter w/ my mentality? As if those who kept flashing their Beemer/Benz badges around are just bunch of boring people to me.
  • Options
    As the original article pointed out, only China gets to see it 1st.

Well, lucky me. I saved one picture link of the taillight-design yesterday & able to add/subtract #s & still able to link to rest of the pictures:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/openpic.php?name=../picture_library/- - - - - - - - - - - dir_30/car_portal_pic_15160.jpg
    The rear-glass width seems wider than Mazda3/S40's. I might just pick this one as my future car!
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/openpic.php?name=../picture_library/- dir_30/car_portal_pic_15157.jpg
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/openpic.php?name=../picture_library/- dir_30/car_portal_pic_15158.jpg
    Hurry! Check them out or even save the pictures before Ford also removes them.
  • Options
    ok...here is what everyone has been waiting for.

There are some big changes for the 2005 MZ3

- new wheel cover design for 'i' model
    - sirius compatible radio
    - titanium gray available on 'i' model
    - solar yellow deleted
    - lava orange available on 5 door only

November delivery.
  • Options
    for us "2nd-class citizens"?

Make sure the new S40's reliable & get one.

0-60(thru 2nd gear):
    8.0 3S
    6.5 S40 T5

0-100(thru 4th for Mazda's 5-sp, 3rd for Volvo's 6-sp!):
    23.3 3S
    16.0 S40 T5

What does this mean if you down shift to pass from 60 to 100?

15.3 3S
      9.5 S40 T5

Per R&T
  • Options
    Personally, I would have wished for at least the pollen filter or a stereo upgrade option. However, with this car selling so well, they don't really need to do anything except maybe address the AC and brake problems. The Sirius is nice, though.
  • Options
    w/ communicative steering, lack of heavy understeer w/ available oversteer & a European suspension that doesn't ride shallow like typical Japanese cars.

Best of all, despite some heavy feeling(per CAR, C&D, R&T), "the 3s does feel good while cornering."(R&T)
  • Options
    Wow! I'm really impressed that the Volvo with like 58 more horsepower under the hood and a whopping $7000 more dollars CDN on the price sticker is faster than a Mazda3.

I am also deeply impressed with the fact that for a mere $7000 extra one gets a pollen filter.

Look the S40 looks like a tremendous new car. I like it a lot, but the comparison is a little more apple/orange than apple/apple.
  • Options
    "I am also deeply impressed with the fact that for a mere $7000 extra one gets a pollen filter."

The Mazda3 sold else where got pollen filter & DSC stability since the beginning.

An '05 S40 T5 6-sp w/ optional DSTC stability costs around $27k, most likely w/ $3k rebate on lease program, isn't that bad.
  • Options
    My comments are based on Canadian prices. I used to be Canadian on this site until Edmunds decided it was its manifest destiny to turn everyone here into an American.
  • Options
    Ha, you saw what happened in Iraq. Canada is next!
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    LOL, first dinu and now you -- we got ya!!

Hey, I don't know what this deal is - I just put up a question to someone who might know and I'll get back to you.
  • Options
    Have the changes been officially announced by Mazda? The lack of VSC is disappointing and so is discontinuing Lava Orange on the sedan. I might have to buy a 2004. Stupid Mazda, screwing up what they did right and not changing what they did wrong. :(
  • Options
    zzz350zzz350 Member Posts: 44
    My wife will be ecstatic to hear that. she has a new Lava 3s and didn't want to see a bunch of matching ones. I hope this is correct info.
  • Options
    Thats OK. You'll win the war, spend a whole bunch of money on us and then leave. Not such a bad deal.
  • Options
    Yeah, still American :)

You guys (USA) didn't have Titanium on the i model this year???

Any ideas about Canadian changes Rich?

And finally: if a dealer has a VIN is he able to tell where the car is precisely? Not just "at sea" but rather "at sea, X days away from port"...

Thanks!
  • Options
    I don't have any canadian stuff, so I can't give you the exact details....but I assume they will be somewhat similar.

titanium was only avail on the 's' model in the US for 2004. also, at sea is the best info we have...I'm sure the factory guys at the port have a better idea but we don't have info that specific.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    So I'm helping another friend look for a new car. Last night we visited two dealerships - Acura and Mazda.

My friend's not totally sure what she wants. Beyond the ability to hold her dog comfortably.

So we looked at the Base RSX. Nice enough little car. Then the RSX S-type. She liked that more - the tighter suspension and 6 speed made her happy.

The TSX was discussed but she didn't drive it. Confidently, she said, "I'd probably love it, so lets look at things I'm not sure about yet."

On to Mazda. The 6 wagon was quickly dismissed - "I feel like a soccer mom." The 6 hatchback got a nod of approval but some worry about the back not fitting the dog. The 05 Tribute got the once over and quick "they really haven't changed this thing, ever."

Finally, on to the Mazda3. I was familiar with all the cars up to this point. I'd seen Mazda3 5 doors and found them strangely attractive. So did my friend.

She slid into the car, looked up and said, "This feels right."

We took it for a spin and I was impressed by many things.

1. Nice pick up from that engine with the manual. It feels gobs more torquey than my 03 Pro ES. No replacement for displacement.

2. Smoth, sharp handling little devil too. She was having a blast darting around with it. Gotta say I didn't drive it but man did I like what I felt. Seemed more buttoned down than my Pro. More european - not like my Bimmer but still solid.

3. Fit and finish were way beyond what this class offers. I'd say the interior even bests the VW kids.

4. Tons of room for such a small car. I sat in the back and found it great. I'm small but have limited flexibility and I had no problems back there.

5. Xenon lights! I so wish my Pro had these. I hate driving that car at night with its weak headlights.

6. Great mileage. Again, better than my pro and with all this other great stuff.

Couple of sour notes:

1. The 5 doors on the lot didn't have leather. We found a 4 door with it. Yuck! I've never been a leather snob before but man that was definitely plastic. The salesguy said he'd go with aftermarket for $900 from them so it's a higher grade of leather and in a better color. Must agree.

2. Black interiors. Why not some gray? Not big on beige but come on mix it up.

3. Lots and lots of road noise in the backseats.

She's still going to check out Subaru, Scion and Toyota products but the 3 is really getting her eye.

After the drive she kept calling it, "My M3". I tried to tell her it's not a good idea to call the car an M3...sorta misleading. ;)

Even without driving it, I must say I made a grave mistake in November. I should have just plunked down a few grand more and gotten the "M3".
  • Options
    Nice report. I don't think there's any doubt why this car has been such a smash hit and in most people's eyes is the clear leader in this class, despite the problems with the AC and brakes.
  • Options
    neomonkeyneomonkey Member Posts: 32
    Those are pretty minor changes. They are pretty much all cosmetic. Any news on whether isssues such as chipped side sills will be answered with a mudguard, rear brakes, etc.?
  • Options
    You need to go to the "Preferences" link on the left side of the page and pick Canada from the drop down list. I have just figured out that location text entered into your profile is not picked up for flag purposes.

Yes, this is different and yes, this is just as confusing to me as it is to you. :)

I just went to my own preferences and changed the country to Canada and sure enough, I had moved north!
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Heck the AC on my Pro takes a good 25 minutes to cool down the car on a day that's maybe 85 degrees.

If it's that bad with the Mazda 3, i should tell her.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Us Canadians "thank" a lot :)
  • Options
    Well, I finally decided to put a deposit down on a Mazda3. I'm getting an s, 4-door, 5-speed with ABS/SAB/SAC, 6-CD changer, sunroof, sport package, leather, and xenons in lava. The dealer expects about a week or two until the car comes in. I'm very excited :) There's no deals here in MD so I paid MSRP -$500 loyalty cash and 3.9% financing for 60 months. I called all the dealers in the area including Internet quotes and MSRP is the best I could get. Its the car I want.
  • Options
    glad to see you've been repatriated ... :-)
  • Options
    Well, I finally decided to put a deposit down on a Mazda3. I'm getting an s, 4-door, 5-speed with ABS/SAB/SAC, 6-CD changer, sunroof, sport package, leather, and xenons in lava. The dealer expects about a week or two until the car comes in. I'm very excited :) There's no deals here in MD so I paid MSRP -$500 loyalty cash and 3.9% financing for 60 months. I called all the dealers in the area including Internet quotes and MSRP is the best I could get. Its the car I want.
  • Options
    harddrivetharddrivet Member Posts: 90
    Hello all,
    First I wanted to say that this forum is great. I am interested in the Mazda3 and have millions of questions, so I will begin with a short list for today.
    1. Does anyone over 30 own a Mazda3?
    2. Does the 3i have enough power?
    3. These seem well constructed, but will they last 200K Miles?
    4. I have never owned a Mazda, how is the reliability and service?
    5. How does the Mazda3 handle in snow?

Thanks.
  • Options
    harddrivetharddrivet Member Posts: 90
    Have you considered tinting your windows to help with the cooling and AC? That might help. I also spoke to my local Mazda dealer and he has assured me that the AC cools the car very well. I will test drive on a very hot day and find out.
  • Options
    Well, if your dealer told you the AC cools the car very well then I guess it must be true!