Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda3

Comments

• Options
    buchtabuchta Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone found a Mazda3 dealership in the DC-Baltimore-Northern Virginia area that makes a better than usual deal on a Mazda3? We live near DC and are in the market for a 3i, manual with safety, air and power options.
  • Options
    vjoe_udovjoe_udo Member Posts: 30
    How does the leather seat hold up after a year or so?

How about the sunroof? Does it rattle a lot?

I'm thinking the sunroof is not worthed.

what do you think? I want to buy the hatchback in a few months.
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    IMO the sunroof is not worth $.50. The amount of wind noise when open - even at 30 MPH - means it almost never gets used. Try one before you buy and see for yourself. Mine never rattles.

I skipped the leather - changed my mind after I saw it - it is Mazda must have used the hides off of some tuff cows.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,369
    Yeah.. but only $590 for leather... they'd have to be cheap cows, anyway....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I have found that mazda leather is more durable than the leather found in many of the other products we sell. But of course its not Fine Corinthian leather.
  • Options
    vjoe_udovjoe_udo Member Posts: 30
    the saddle brown leather looks pretty good in the picture.
  • Options
    The leather seems thick & hard. I would expect after a few thousand miles it would break in and become softer. You could look at this as an advantage - it should last for years.

I saw the SP23 at the Houston auto show - it was softer than the black - but I just did not think that the dark gray exterior / brown leather seats looked good together. I have never liked brown leather seats in any car - but gray and brown just don't match. The gray is very nice and would be my first choice.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I much prefer thick hard leather that breaks in nicely and lasts forever to that soft tufted stuff.
  • Options
    orpheusorpheus Member Posts: 4
    I totally agree with you z71bill. The dealership I went to today had a SP hb and sedan and the brown leather did not look good to me either. The gray with the brown just didn't seem to go to well together.
  • Options
    mresoxmresox Member Posts: 5
    I concur with you, I live in Ontario Canada and the car is not reassuring driving in the snow. I searched for winter tires last month but most places are sold out for the season. I will definetly have snow tires next winter.
  • Options
    I rotated my tires for the 2nd time - 10,500 miles. The Goodyears don't seem to be holding up all that well. I am hoping to make it to 20K - but tires are something thing I never mess with - if they start to look worn out they will get replaced.

I am thinking about going up one size to 215 50 17 - they are .5 inch wider - but only .1 - .4 inch greater diameter (depending on the brand). It seems like they would fit just fine on the stock wheels - and from what I can see the 215 50 17 size gives you more choices. It is strange that this larger tire has a lower load rating - not sure why that is - maybe a softer sidewall?
  • Options
    larrybenlarryben Member Posts: 4
    I just went to a rather large dealership here in Albuquerque NM looking for a Mazda 3 with a few requirements. These included 5-speed manual transmission (appropriate in a small sporty car), one of the three lighter colors (to stay cooler in the Southwestern sun), and a few other options. All but three of about 30 models on the lot were automatics, and most were dark colors. The very helpful salesman then had one of the managers do a computer search to see if any other dealers in the western region had a Mazda 3 that met my criteria. Believe it or not, the only light-colored 5 speeds were three sunlight silvers and one shimmering sand (but no rally whites) 1,000 miles away in Idaho and Oregon. And none had side air bags or ABS. I didn't even ask what the extra delivery costs would be, but did learn that I'd have to wait 5 or 6 months to special order a car from the factory in Japan.

My advice: Unless (like so many other Americans) you're addicted to automatic transmissions, don't expect to find many choices at your local Mazda dealer.

My question: Why do Mazda's brochure and web site list options that they do not really try to offer?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    This is a localized problem. When I drove a Mazda3i last week at my local dealer in the Twin Cities, they had several 3i 5-speeds to choose from in stock, including some with the safety package. I didn't ask about stock on the 3s because I wasn't interested. So depending on where you live, you may have better luck finding what you want.

FWIW, I drove the new Cobalt, the 3i, and the Elantra GLS 5-door back-to-back-to-back over almost the same course. I put my review in the Low End Sedans discussion, since it was a multi-way comparison.
  • Options
    barry42barry42 Member Posts: 64
    My dealer offered me an 06 sedan but couldn't tell what the changes will be !!

Can anybody tell me what the changes will be ??

Thanks in advance ! Barry.
  • Options
    My dealer offered me an 06 sedan but couldn't tell what the changes will be !!

Can anybody tell me what the changes will be ??

Thanks in advance ! Barry.
  • Options
    How could your dealer offer you a '06 Mazda3 sedan when the '05s have just come out? Something is strange there. Are you sure it wasn't a '05?
  • Options
    Nothing strange here !! We must consider two things -- one: I'm in Guatemala and the 05's have been available here for at least a year now !!The salesman is actually the manager and a personal friend of mine -- no kidding !! I was just about to order a Mazda3 sedan for my wife [ I have an 05 Mazda3 Hb that i bought in 04] In order to get the color I wanted I must order now and take delivery in May !! My friend cautioned that the 06's will be out then and that I might want to wait -- I am !! The only thing he can't tell me is what small [ or large ] changes there will be in the car !! WE get Euro Spec cars here , but , based on all the info I found here the cars are the same as those available in The Ol' USA and Canada except color choice and motor size !!

I'm hoping that someone can tell me anything they know about the 06's --- Please !!

Barry.
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Barry42: It's kind of early for the '06 colors to be posted, but you could try EU Mazda websites, such as

http://www.mazda.co.uk or http://www.mazda.co.de

A new color in Canada is the Charcoal Grey, in the USA it's used on the Special Edition sp23.

fowler3
  • Options
    dave27dave27 Member Posts: 4
    use a good leather cream conditioner every couple of months....the leather will love ya for it.

The sunroof is well worth it...don't get the wind deflector though...with the roof fully open, you can play the CD at about 19 and hear all the music (no after market subwoofer) at 90 mph. almost as good as having a convertible without the wind blowing you all over. oh...and don't forget the sunroof comes with the 6CD changer. pricey, but i think a good option.
  • Options
    after test driving the manual, i was sold...i built the car on mazdausa.com then did a search using my zip code. then rebuilt it using a different zip. covered everything from Cleveland to Minneapolis, northern Wisconsin to K.C. Found 4 cars! called the dealerships directly. asked if they had THE car (vin # specified) and what their best price was...gonna buy that day. ok so i bought the next day! don't let the dealers search...they'll all find the same car, then have to transport it to their lot....no way you'll get the best price.

bty...1 year & 15,000 miles....can't say enough good about the car
  • Options
    Thanks fowler3-- I'll try those sites !! I have the color in mind it will be the same as mine 24E!! I normally wouldn't have any patients with a salesman but this fellow is an old friend and easily to negotiate with !!

Thanks Again !! Barry.
  • Options
    waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    I refilled the gas tank today on my MZ3S. After 447 miles, I could not quite squeeze 12 gallons into the gas tank; that is 37.4 mpg. The mileage included one ski trip (125 miles each way), one trip to Denver (50 miles each way), and local trips (about 20 miles each way). Unfortunately it also included one speeding ticket ($60).
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Don't forget to factor in the increase you'll see the next time your insurance policy renews.

:(
  • Options
    mtlsatmtlsat Member Posts: 3
    I live in Montreal and I swapped my 17 inch tires for the recomended 16 inch rims with Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip winters. I didn't think with our winters the RSAs would be of any good. The car isn't bad with the winters installed, but my wife has a 00 MPV with Yoko Guardex600s and the MPV is much more stable, accelerates quicker, brakes better(even without ABS). Wouldn't consider going without, but my '90 civic with 4seasons tires was much better then the MZ3 in the snow.
  • Options
    just one thing to add....change the oil after 500 - 1000 miles...all those metal particles you mentioned.
  • Options
    gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    Dave, be careful changing the oil with so few miles on the car. From what I hear many new cars come with special break-in oils which help with the break-in of the engine. Changing out those oils earlier than recommended may not be the best thing. Also, the manufacturing process has gotten to the point where the metal particals that you mentioned are a thing of the past. Your best bet is to read and follow the manual that came with the car.
  • Options
    combustible1combustible1 Member Posts: 264
    so what did you do, have someone drive you to another state to retrieve your car? I'm not understanding the logistics of such a scenario.
  • Options
    combustible1combustible1 Member Posts: 264
    Have a heart, man! Is there anyone anywhere posting better, or even as good as, MPG numbers as you? I don't think so.

I would imagine that your continual boasts about your incredible MPG figures are giving owners with more typical (or less than typical) numbers a severe complex. I know I would be insanely jealous if I was a 3 owner. I'd want to ring your neck or steal your car...

err, so where do you live again?.. EXACTLY?? just curious. :P
  • Options
    Break in oil? Call the parts department of your Mazda dealership and ask what the part number is for Mazda break in oil. These guys need a good laugh once in a while.
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Anyone know if Mazda is doing another Rev it up program this summer??
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Why would they laugh? Honda specifically lists a break in additive in the initial factory oil and recommends not changing the oil until the first listed interval.
  • Options
    beta23beta23 Member Posts: 15
    What is the real 0-60 time of a mazda 3 s automatic??

How does this stack up against Pontiac G6, Mazda 6s, Jetta 1.8T (or 2.5L 2006), and Scion Tc??? (ALL AUTOMATIC)
  • Options
    Why not give your local MAZDA parts department a call - and then post the part number for MAZDA break-in oil.

In case you don't know Mazda and Honda are not the same company. Not sure what Honda break in oil has to do with anything - (I though it was Acura - not Honda - that use to put some extra additives in the oil at the factory) BTW I know Honda and Acura are the same company.

If it makes you happy you can also call the Honda parts department and ask them what the part number is for MAZDA break in oil. Please post what they tell you - I could always us a good laugh.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I think the sarcasm is getting way too deep in here. There really isn't any need for all of these snippy posts.

This is not the place to be discussing Honda/Acura break-in issues, nor is there any need to ridicule folks who have questions about a break-in process for a Mazda3.

Let's just lighten up and see if we can help each other. If we have nothing to helpful to add, we need to just keep quiet instead of biting each other's, um, you know ...
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Yes I know that Honda and Mazda are not the same company. I don't know if Mazda uses a break in additive but I was just pointing out that some companies do so that it isn't a silly question to ask about it.
  • Options
    thecrowthecrow Member Posts: 2
    Hi all! I've found this place to be very helpful, so here is my first post! I just purchased a NEW 2004 Mazda3S 5-door that had 133 miles on it. I paid 16,855 and I have both the Moonroof/6-CD and Side airbag/ABS options. I love it! However, my check engine light came on today when speeding up between 2nd and 3rd gear (I have an automatic). Of course, I did a search for that here before asking, and learned about the Software problem mentioned long ago. So, here is my question: Can someone please help me interpret post # 6483 ???? I have scheduled an appoint. to have the dealer check the car out (now has about 850 miles) b/c of the light and that post relates to the software...and has specific VIN numbers involved.

THANKS!!!!
    TheCrow
    Minnesota
  • Options
    everfebeverfeb Member Posts: 115
    the crow...welcome...congratulations. Don't think it's necessary to interpret that post.
    It was related to very early built 3's. CEL's can come on for any # of reasons. Your dealer should be able to diagnose and hopefully fix whatever caused you CEL to come on. Sometimes it's as simple as a loose gas cap. In the post you were referring to the dealer had to download some updated information into my 3 to fix that problem. Let us know what happens. Enjoy your 3. Where in Minnesota are you? I'm in Fort Frances, Ontario just across the border from Int'l Falls MN.
    everfeb
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    On Saturday, I test drove a Strato Blue MZ3 S automatic with 6CD/Moonroof and SAB/SAC/ABS pkg. What a phenomenal vehicle. If I were in the market today, you can bet this is where I'd put my 20 grand.

Excellent throttle response, tight handling, great sound from a 4 cylinder, extremely comfortable drivers seat, well designed and attractive interior, good room in the back, and I like the thoughtful touches- the trunk struts as opposed to the space-sapping hinges, for example.

This is the class standard, even if it is priced slightly higher than competitors, it seems to be worth every penny.

I definitely need to lease cars from now on, as I just cannot rationalize purchasing so shortly after my last- a Sentra 2.5LE in Jan 03.

~alpha
  • Options
    I saw a BRIGHT yellow Mazda3 sedan yesterday - is this a new color? I don't see any yellow listed on any web sites (including Mazda's)

I am 100% sure it was a Mazda3 2.3 - because I sat next to it at a red light.
  • Options
    eklektikeklektik Member Posts: 12
    You can probably expect it to be approx. 1.5 to 2.0 seconds slower than the manual.

C/D had a very heavy hatch, 2900 lbs, manual, do 7.4 sec.

MSN shows the manual sedan at 7.77 and the hatch at 7.85; the true number probably lies between the two.

Other sources have listed from 8.0 on up, this includes R@T, it depends on how they launch and track conditions.
  • Options
    eklektikeklektik Member Posts: 12
    Here's more info

G6 GT| M3 hatch| TC
    -----------------------
    0-60 7.9s 7.6-.9 7.4MT
    roadholding .81 .87 .81
    braking 70-0 185ft 169 179
    MPG cty 21 25 22
    MSRP 28K 17K 17K

There's little info on the VW Jetta, C/D says it is an average handling sedan, it has 180 HP, but it weights in at 3100lbs, so acceleration is probably within this group. Note that the MZ3 sdn with auto weighs 100 lbs less than the hatch and so its numbers should be slightly better.
    Which would you buy?
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    yellow was a 2004 color..they dropped it for 2005.
  • Options
    nifty6nifty6 Member Posts: 21
    Just curious as to when the 2006 are coming out?
    Can't get the optional side impact air bags and side air bags with the 2005 in Canada
    Maybe they will be equipped with the 2006 to Canada?
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Time for another chat session with your fellow forum residents! Should be another fun hour as we discuss the automotive (and some not-so-automotive) issues of the day.

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA MANIA Chat is on tonight. Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • Options
    I probably can't be of much help to you because I'm down here in Guatemala ,but, I just talked to my friendly dealer and he is accepting orders for 06 Mazda3's now for delivery of the first vehicles in May !! As soon as I sell my Yaris [Echo] [ which may be tomorrow ] I will order an 06 sedan for my wife !!
    Happy Hunting !! Barry.
  • Options
    thecrowthecrow Member Posts: 2
    Hey all!

I took my car into the dealer with the CEL on (at only 200 miles) and they fixed the airbag sensor recall AND said that I was right - the computer glitch did exist on my system. I'll be darn!

I've had no problems since.

TheCrow!
  • Options
    In CR's April issue, they show that the Focus has overtaken the 3i as their highest-rated small car (automatic). But the 3i is still rated the top small car with a manual transmission (Focus not included in those rankings). That's good for Ford, though, to have the top two cars in the rankings.
  • Options
    Did CR say why the Mazda dropped?

I would guess it is all the defects combined with very poor service after the sale.

Once the word gets out about the weak AC system -grinding rear brakes - CEL problems - harsh shifting tranny - clunky suspension - poor fuel economy & faulty air bag sensors it would make most buyers think twice before buying a Mazda.

Combine all these problems with NO support after the sale and it should not be a surprise that Mazda is starting to slip.

Hard to understand why I still like this car - I sure hope Honda or Toyota comes out with a car that is as fun to drive - I would gladly pay the extra $1,500. But if I had to choose I would still take the Mazda3 over a 2004 Civic or Corolla.
  • Options
    Nothing like that. They recently tested the Focus ZX4 SES along with some other cars and it slightly outscored the Mazda3i automatic. They still recommend the Mazda3--the only Mazda they recommend--and note that it has much better than average predicted reliability and much higher than average owner satisfaction. In fact, the Mazda3 was the fourth most satisfying small car for CR subscribers, behind only the Prius, xB, and Civic Hybrid.