Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda3

Comments

• Options
    ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    As an ex-diesel owner, we also have to consider that the price of diesel fuel has steadfastly been rising with times being more expensive, a lot more expensive than regular gasoline. The vehicles use more expensive and often synthetic oil (as in my TDI). Supposedly, one would not have to do an oil change as frequently, but it was recommended because diesel engines get dirtier quicker with the soot build-up.

The extra cost of getting the diesel can vary depending on how much you drive. The more you drive, the less time it will take to recoup the difference between a comparable gasser and diesel.

Here is a forumula on how to calculate how long it takes to get your break-even point. Pay no attention to the inital values, just plug in your own: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/58581.html

There are other factors to consider too: the crappy diesel we have in North America (this was too change with a better quality diesel but has stalled). Also, there is additives that one needs to use that tend to be more costly than regular fuel additives. The diesel fuel in Europe is of a better grade also called ultra low sulfur diesel.

The noxious and hazardous fumes of the diesel exhaust and let's not forget the premature goop, gunk, or coking of the intake that plagues most VW diesel owners (nobody has been sending diesel cars to North America). For some reason, this is not an issue in North American trucks or pickups from Dodge, GM or Ford.

If you like to tinker with your car and are willing to put up with all these nuances for a more expensive car, better gas mileage and longer engine life (although your [own] life will likely be shortened) then go for the diesel.

Also, the torque of the diesel is typically measured in first gear. Not many of us will ever climb a mountain in 1st gear.

On the other hand, if you plan to convert your diesel car to biodiesel, then a lot of the above issues are irrelevant.
  • Options
    davesbrewdavesbrew Member Posts: 45
    A quick note re: the nonsmokers ashtray replacement accessory:

I just got this in the mail, looking for a storage solution to replace the ashtray. I was a little disappointed, because it grants no more capacity than the original ashtray. The only difference is the interior texture. Where the ashtray is hard plastic, the nonsmoker's version is a soft felt-like material. This may be helpful to keep change from rattling around, but an fyi to any one looking for more storage-- you won't find it here. Shame on me, I guess, for not looking closer at the shape of the hole before ordering the part
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Is there a typical time frame for when Dealers can begin to order the 2007's? At this point I'm going to wait till they are available but would like to get in on the first batch.
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The first allocation of 2007 MZ3 was last month and this month was the second. (mazda only processes orders one day a month)...so the May allocation will be the third month of 2007 orders.....so your a little late But, your dealer should be able to spec change one of his initial orders for you...they havent started building the 2007's yet.
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Cool, thanks. No big deal that I'm not really in the first order, as I didn't expect it to be this soon anyway. I'll get in touch this week and see what's up, maybe he ordered one just like I want anyway! :)
  • Options
    kanashiikanashii Member Posts: 1
    How are we supposed to make orders with the dealership when they 'apparently' aren't even sure (when asked) what the final colour choices are going to be? (and have an example for new colours) If anyone here happens to have the info handy could you please let me know. I have been waiting for the information before I order but nothing for Canada seems to be concrete. (Are all the trims even the same? as the 06's) It seems odd the NA websites don't even offer the 07's yet to see trim selections and colors. How is the consumer supposed to know what they are buying?

I was supposed to purchase a 06 model but no dealership could offer me the right trim/colour combo I was looking for. Mind you it was late in the year so it was understood. Now I am upon the 07 ordering and it doesn't seem to matter because I am not going to order blindly and no one seems to have any helpful information.

I was hoping someone here on the forums could help me out before I am stuck in the same situation. (which is pretty close to happening already)

Thank you!
  • Options
    qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    Yes its a little frustrating, but if they showed all of their cards, the dealer could not get any of the remaining 06's sold. Its the same as keeping a new model (as in re-designed) tight lipped. If you knew everything about the next 3, there's a chance you may wait and buy then. Auto manufacturers want to eliminate those chances and get you to buy now.

Dave
  • Options
    ctzoomdudectzoomdude Member Posts: 1
    from a source at Mazda

Phantom Purple
    True Red
    Galaxy Grey
    Ice Blue
    Aurora Blue
    Phantom Blue
    Crystal White
  • Options
    lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    Wow, no silver. I thought every company had silver ;) 3 blue colors...thats different. Galaxy Grey sounds like a nice color to replace the titanium gray... I always wished the titanium was a little darker.
  • Options
    slate1slate1 Member Posts: 84
    wow - hope they look better than they sound... sounds like the paint scheme for a Scooby-Doo episode...
  • Options
    samtheman1samtheman1 Member Posts: 10
    You can view all the colors above except the phantom purple by Googling "2006 Import Color Book". PDF file of Sherwin Williams color chips and Mazda section includes colors above.
  • Options
    slate1slate1 Member Posts: 84
    WOW! Very cool find samtheman1!!!

Here's a link if anyone's interested:

Import Color Book

Do you happen to know what the difference is between the listings of "B/C" and "3-Stage" paint?
  • Options
    protosporkprotospork Member Posts: 2
    That is so cool --I wish the color book had the Phantom Purple.
    Any idea if that is a pop color or a pastel? I'm guessing a Marvel comic color.

Does this mean my chances of getting a Blazing Copper Orange Mazda 3 are rapidly shrinking?

Will the Mazda Speed3 have the same palette?

Whatever happened to basic brown as a color choice for cars? or a healthy vegan green?
  • Options
    qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    I assume B/C stands for Basecoat/Clearcoat and 3 Stage means that there's actually 3 stages of the painting process. Whitewater Pearl and Velocity Red have a lot going on in the colors when you look at them in the sun. Kind of like metal flake in them.

Dave
  • Options
    carpet321carpet321 Member Posts: 8
    phantom blue is there, just try looking harder.....rofl !

Brown is not very popular, but you can still get it on some cars, like the lexus coupe $$$$$$

vegan green ??? you need help
  • Options
    ajg7ajg7 Member Posts: 2
    Hi.

Just new to your forum. I know the Mazda 3's have different model names around the world but in Australia (where I am!) I just ordered a Phantom Purple Mazda 3 SP23 (sadly wont get it till August, maybe July). Dealer had to physically go to their head office to get some small colour samples as they didn't have them. It is a very dark purple bordering on brown, the closest color I could find was the Radiant Ebony in the Mazda 6 but that was a fraction darker. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    fugufishfugufish Member Posts: 4
    Yes! I just bought an 06 3 GT MTX last week and have about 800 miles on it. It's been about 50 deg. F every morning . I start the car, drive about .5 miles at 15-20 MPH in second gear then pull out onto our main road and the car stumbles during acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear. Usually, just twice and by the time I am up to 55MPH in 5th everything is fine. My '99 Accord 2.3 MTX did the exact same thing. I haven't taken it back to the dealer yet.
  • Options
    Just an update on my new 06 Mazda3 S GT.
    I got it loaded-- Bose, moonroof, nav, cassette, etc. No serious complaints-- I love the way it drives, and feel like I am driving a beemer in all but the nameplate. But, for those considering a mazda3 purchase, here's the issues I have found in the first 2k miles that have been mentioned on this and the problems forum. None of these make me regret the purchase at all, but they are present.

A/C. On the 1st 95 degree day we've had so far, the automatic AC took at least 20 minutes to cool the car down. I had the thermostat set at 70, rolled down the windows and opened the sunroof for about 3-4 minutes to let the boiling hot air out, closed it all up, left it on fresh air for about another 5 min then switched to recirculated. After about 20 min it was comfortable, but the fan was still blowing pretty hard. Summary: The AC's not great, and come summer and frequent 100degree days, this may become more of an issue.

Clock: Sure enough, it didnt keep accurate time for the first week or so of purchase. We've had about 4 weeks of working fine since then with no repairs, so who knows what the problem is-- I didnt have the TSB warranty work done on it.

Seats: I wish they had a little more side bolstering, but aside from that, they are comfy as all getout. Leather may not be supple enough for some, but I (with a carseat in back) appreciate the sturdy feel of the leather.

Bose: as the reviews state, it could use some more midrange, or at least some type of midrange eq. That said, it sounds awesome to me (using an eclectic collection of music, from classical to acid rock to bluegrass)

Gas Mileage: I'm finding it as reported. This is my first experience driving with a trip computer, and I'm finding that I'm not the most fuel friendly driver, but I'd guess that most who pick the Mazda3 are more into the zoom-zooming (which it does wonderfully) than fuel sipping.

Overall, I love the car.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A national news magazine is looking to interview college students who has “pimped” out his/her ride Have you tricked out your car with big rims, outrageous stereos, wild paint jobs, spoilers, ground effects, neon lights, nitrous, the works . Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, June 9, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the make and model of the car you’ve “pimped” out.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I assume you have the auto climate control?

20 minutes to cool the car when the temp is only 95 is not very good - sounds like you used the right process (roll down windows - outside air at first bla bla bla)

Its the same situation as my 2004 - except on some days - when traffic was heavy - stop and go - my car would never cool off.

I wonder how many posts about problem 2006 Mazda3 AC's (with climate control) we will need to read before we all accept the fact that Mazda still has not fixed this obvious defect?

Then we can look forward to - its the 2007 model - Mazda solved the AC defect by installing a _____________ - but they did not need to increase the capacity of the system - its magic!
  • Options
    Yup. Auto climate control. To be fair, it was humid that day, which may have compounded the discomfort. Since then, it's still not great, but maybe I'm getting used to being hot in the car, because it doesnt bother me as much anymore. Maybe this is normal and I was spoiled before. In my 94 altima to this day, 5 min with the AC on fullblast and I'm freezing. That car has the best AC of any car I've ever been in. Wish I knew who made that component part. (on the flip side, hit the AC button and the engine makes a jerk as the monster kicks in, but I think it's worth the tradeoff.) Wish the 06 mazda3 was like that...
  • Options
    I am not as forgiving as you - sure high humidity makes it harder (to cool the car).

So does having a black interior - larger glass area -

But if anyone with 1 ounce of brain was designing an AC system they should have made it strong enough to handle a bright sunny 110 degree - high humidity day.

Mazda must have been a sleep when they designed this system. Where did they test this thing the north pole?

It's bad enough that they designed the car with a weak AC system in the first place - worse to not fix the problem - but to just keep making and selling cars - for 2-3 additional model years with no change is just about criminal.
  • Options
    lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    It should be operated in re-circ mode for the initial cool-down, then switched to outside air.
  • Options
    "It should be operated in re-circ mode for the initial cool-down, then switched to outside air"

This is true in most cases - but when you get in a car that has been sitting in the sun for a while and the inside is boiling hot - it is better to start the system with outside air (not recirc).

The reason is - in this case the temperature of the OUTSIDE air is actually cooler that the air INSIDE your car. This is even true if you have rolled down your windows to let the super heated air escape. The dash and seats will still be hotter than the outside air temp.

This allows your system to produce cooler air at start up. Since the air you are circulating through the evaperator is slightly cooler to start with.
  • Options
    yeah, z71bill, I agree. Fresh air first, then recirc on a hot car, then back to fresh after it cools is what I've always heard and had the best results with. In fact, I think that's what the owner's manual states for an 01 Honda CRV. It's been a while since I read it, but think I'm remembering that as the source. I don't remember seeing a similar provision in the mazda3 manual however.
  • Options
    dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    Debating on whether or not to sell my 05 Mazda Tribute S (paid off) and get either a Mazda3 S, or an 06 Honda Civic LX/EX.. We recently purchased a Honda Odyssey EX-L and love it..

Honestly, I really like both the exteriors very much and think that both the Civic and 3 are sporty, good handling cars that get great gas mileage..

That said, I have been a little worried about the A/C issues I have read on these forums by some of you and two co workers own 06 Mazda 3 S sedans. I spoke to both and neither had any problems with the A/C (it was in the mid 90's here a few weeks ago which is very hot for this region). Both said that this is not an issue and their cars do not take 20+ minutes to cool down..

For me, it will come down to the drive and the price if I decide to sell the Tribute (love the vehicle but it seems ridiculous to own it and an Odyssey when gas prices keep creeping up)...

I have to say, the Mazda3 appears to be the better value compared to the Honda, but I have a great local Honda dealer who I may be able to convince to sell me an Civic at invoice...
  • Options
    samtheman1samtheman1 Member Posts: 10
    The A/C on my Mazda3 is weak compared to my Passat, but it does the job. As others mentioned, open windows for first minute of so, then crank A/c on high for 3-4 minutes and you can set at 1 or 2 and be fine.

Test drive each. I found 3 to have a much sportier handling and stronger acceleration (especially with the manual tranny). You can get the 3 below invoice with a little effort. Also might want to wait for the 07's as the 3 is getting a facelift.
  • Options
    mpg60mpg60 Member Posts: 71
    Hi,

Don't let the naysayers sway you. I have had 3 Mazdas in a row. Two prior generation Proteges and now a 05S Sedan. Go test drive a 3. The first time I saw the replacement for the Protege I was totally moved. The 3 is the best looking economy sedan. and, my ac works fine.
  • Options
    I would expect the Passat to have a better A/C system (it is also much more expensive), and while it gets hot here, it is not like I am living in central Florida or the Arizona desert :)

I definitely plan on test driving them (Civic and 3) back to back, but am already leaning towards the 3 based on the overall value and the fact that the Civic SI is not available in a sedan (yet) and I am not certain I want a coupe..

I have also have had a great experience with my Mazda Tribute (reliability/service) which is a factor considering the Honda Civic is such a new design and appears to have its own faults..
  • Options
    mryummryum Member Posts: 12
    You'll definitely enjoy driving the 3S if you really like to drive. I was actually looking for a 3i Touring when the dealer offered me a 3S instead. Turned out to be an excellent choice since it gets the bigger engine and the 5 speed auto.

So far, my fiance' loves commuting in the car and it's getting close to 32 mpg. At 80 mph, a quick stab on the go pedal, it downshifts instantly and accelerates with authority. A very impressive car for under $19k otd :)

On the A/C, as mentioned in another thread...I drove 2 I's and the S that I bought. A/C in all 3 of the cars was fine here in hot steamy Florida.
  • Options
    heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    Over the past few weeks, I've test driven several Mazda3's. We've gotten daytime highs around 100 here in Dallas during that stretch, The A/C was fine in all of them.
  • Options
    Good to hear that...thanks for posting :)

Given a couple naysayers on these forums, it sure can't hurt to let those interested in this amazing little machine know that not ALL 3's have A/C problems.

I've had a LOT of new cars over the past 30 years and this Mazda 3S is hands down my favorite purchase of them all. Bang for the buck wise...in a word...SWEET!
  • Options
    heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    One of those naysayers has been posting about his bad A/C and his interactions with Mazda about it for nearly two years. He definitely has my sympathy, but I think most folks nowadays think its adequate.

The car is selling very well in Texas during the summer, so the A/C can't be *that* bad...

:)
  • Options
    First of all, I appreciate the folks who post on these forums, and share their knowledge, opinions, issues, questions, and time.

Okay, I am about 99% convinced to buy the Mazda3 over the 06 Civic LX/EX sedan. Now I have a new problem.. I was all set to spring for the touring Mazda3 S, but then read several reviews on the net and Googled the Mazda 3i 0-60 times and have consistently found that the 3i sedan (manual tranny) posts 0-60 times of 8.5 while the 3S times are just slightly lower (8.2 range)...

I will definitely drive both vehicles, but the improvements to the 2.0L engine on the 06 seem to have made a difference in overall performance and I am trying to decide if I am better off saving money (as well as getting a few extra MPG) by getting the 3i Touring (with side airbags and moonroof/6 disc) vs the 3S with the sunroof/6disc and side airbags.

Seems like a tough call.. Again, I will drive them but on paper the 3i looks like the better deal to me. I would love to get the thoughts of those who drove both and which direction they went (I believe the 3S has some additional differences over the 3i in appearance)..

Thanks!
  • Options
    mpg60mpg60 Member Posts: 71
    Come to Atl GA, I'll take you for a spin( :P ) in my 3S, now that it is worn in. You wouldn't think the small difference in engine size would make that much of a difference, but I think it does.

I wasn't as practical as you are being when I made my choice, in fact I went as far as having my car special ordered.

Whatever decision you make you will be happy
  • Options
    mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    The body skirts and 17" wheels make a real big difference in looks, IMO. That was a big reason why I didn't go for the i, but looks are subjective. I could have sworn I saw 2.3 MT times in the mid 7's...I don't recall the difference being that small
  • Options
    I was looking at the 3i Touring myself. Then, the dealer made me an offer I couldn't refuse on the base 3S. The S model includes all the same options as the 3i Touring...and gets the bigger engine, fog lights, cooler tail lights, dash lights and a few other goodies. Also, since I needed an automatic...the S gets the 5 speed auto...which combined with the 2.3 motor sealed the decision for me.

I drove both, and found the S to definitely be punchier with the auto. So far, the 5th gear in the tranny seems to be helping with mileage as well. Got 31.5 mpg on the first full tank and the 2nd tank looks like it's on pace to equal those numbers.

I read somewhere (don't recall where though...have read a LOT about these cars), but did see in one review they had achieved a 7.4 0-60 with the 5spd MTX 2.3.

As mentioned, drive both...either way, it's an awesome little car :)
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. Since this will be more of a commuter car, the i Touring seems a little more practical, but my gut tells me I will probably fall in love with the s..

If I sell my Tribute privately, I should get more $$ and be able to spring for the loaded 3, vs. trading the Tribute in. Just not sure how long it is going to take to sell privately right now with gas prices high in my area and the demand for SUV's slightly decreasing.

I am also going to wait until the end of the month to see if I can get an even better deal (seeing offers at invoice).
  • Options
    bolbobolbo Member Posts: 16
    Does the binnacle display show red on blue in all models? I see some pictures that just show red with no blue background so I'd appreciate clarification on that. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    cticti Member Posts: 131
    When I had my 2005 3s in for warranty work last summer, I was given a 3i a a rental from the rental agency.

What a difference in the interior. The tan upholstery was boring and the gauge cluster didn't light up all cool-like. I wouldn't have thought the difference would be so dramatic, but the 3i was just dull on the inside. I don't think anything has changed.

What I love about the Mazda 3 is that the parts you spend most of your time interfacing with are well done. I love the steering wheel, gauge cluster, center stack, and center console. Very well done and I use them every time I am in my car.

After going to the Atlanta Auto show, I think the 3 has the largest center console storage of any car I checked out.
  • Options
    chrisboltchrisbolt Member Posts: 10
    The blue backlight is on the s model when the headlights are on (you can only really see it at night).
  • Options
    bolbobolbo Member Posts: 16
    detest the fabric covering on the arm rest for the storage bin on the m6. I see that the m3 has a vinyl top which is what I prefer and am used to. I have not even test driven these cars yet, but plan to soon. It looks as if the tops of these units (for both cars) may be identical in size. Can someone speak to this and suggest if the top from the 3 would fit on a 6. Otherwise, I assume the options are to have a leather (or vinyl) top put on after the fact...which I guess anyone will do for a price. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    afwejiafweji Member Posts: 8
    Hello all,

I'm looking into buying my first car and have decided between the 2006 Mazda3 or 2006 Honda Civic. More specifically, I'm looking into the 4-door s trim. After doing lots of looking around, I've noticed that the Mazda3 tends to have an AC issue attached to it. Does anyone know if this problem has been resolved? How does the Mazda3 compare to the Civic in terms of reliability and looks?

I'll probably test drive both within the next few weeks. Are there any other huge problems I should ask the dealer about? Thanks for your help!

- Future Mazda3 Owner
  • Options
    " I've noticed that the Mazda3 tends to have an AC issue attached to it. Does anyone know if this problem has been resolved? How does the Mazda3 compare to the Civic in terms of reliability and looks? "

I haver an 06 and the AC is not an issue. AC complaints have been coming from 04 and 05 owners, not 06. It takes a little while to cool down on real hot days, just like every other car I've ever had. I haven't had any issues besides oil changes & tire rotations in 8 months(beside some idiot slamming into me 2 weeks ago while I was stopped)Car did it's job protecting me in that accident. Reliability has been very good according to Consumer Reports. Looks are subjective, but I personally think the 3 is the best looking car in it's segment. By a lot
  • Options
    What to pick depends on what you want, performance or fuel economy. I testdrove both (along with a slew of other cars) and decided on the Mazda3 because of it's strong performance and against the civic because it's lack of performance(EX version). I am one of those who has experienced the AC issue which amounts to a lack of AC strength which seems to be overcome through letting it run for awhile. This problem as I experience it may be exacerbated by the leather interior in the GT. If you go with the cooler cloth, it may not be as noticible. Even if the civic had an incredibly powerful AC (which I don't know if it does), I would still make the Mazda3 choice.
    That said, if fuel economy is a stronger motivator than fun-to-drive, you may be better off with the civic.-- I get about 26-27mpg in a mix of city/highway, averaging about 40mph over the course of the tank.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national personal finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who have recently purchased (within the past year) a new Mazda 3 and would like to talk about your new car. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    I'm interested in the 3 but haven't been able to locate a dealership near me (the 2 that were around me are no longer). So my question is how is the height of the driver seat compared to say the current Corolla? I'm looking for a more SUV-like seating which is more upright. Other cars like the Ford 500 and new Chrysler Sebring are incorporating more upright seating but they're too large for my needs.
  • Options
    I'm interested in the 3 but haven't been able to locate a dealership near me (the 2 that were around me are no longer). So my question is how is the height of the driver seat compared to say the current Corolla? I'm looking for a more SUV-like seating which is more upright. Other cars like the Ford 500 and new Chrysler Sebring are incorporating more upright seating but they're too large for my needs. "

Not sure of the exact specs, but the 3 has a seat hight adjustment that you can crank up pretty high....I keep it as low as it goes, personally
  • Options
    I am coming out of an SUV (Tribute) to the 3, and am very comfortable with the seat height (you can adjust). But, at the end of the day it is still a compact car, not an SUV. Are there some used car lots in your area that might have a 3 so you can sit in it? Otherwise, you may be better off in a compact SUV..
  • Options
    I would be more concerned about not having any dealerships around your home - (VS the seat height) - I bought a Nissan (while living in Minnesota) - the nearest dealership was 90 miles away - did not seem that far - its only an hour and a half I though big deal - but it turned into a 360 mile 6 hour drive (90 to drop off - 90 home in rental car - 90 back to dealership - 90 home) what a pain - never again.