Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda3

Comments

• Options
    dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    Excellent point z71bill..

I too, would be very leery about not having dealer support nearby. That just sounds like an accident waiting to happen if you have issues....
  • Options
    ecm56ecm56 Member Posts: 16
    I have to agree with this - even if the car turns out to be absolutely reliable, I always look for a good, nearby dealer. Not always easy to find. That's one of the reasons we've been driving Hondas and Mazdas - the local dealers are pretty good and fairly convenient.

Eric
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    You guys make a valid point about dealer support. The only used Mazda I was able to find was the Mazda6. How is that seating compared to the Mazda3? At this point I'm just trying to get some basic info before deciding if I want to pursue it further. Thanks for all the input!
  • Options
    Just looking at sales numbers for June 06 period:
    Mazda3 sales were approx 9K for June 06 up 19% from June 05
    Toyota Corolla sales were 37K for June 06 up 38% from June 05
    Honda Civic sales were 28K for June 06 up 14% from June 05

So, it looks like I was not the only one looking for a more economical car at the gas pump. Factor in the Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris and compact sales are way up over last year.

While I am glad the Mazda3 is selling well, I am also glad there are not as many on the road as the Corolla and Civic :)

From the article:
    "MAZDA3 celebrated its best-ever June with sales of 9,452 units, up 19-percent, despite a continuing lack of inventory resulting in only a 39-day supply (approximately 60 days is considered optimal)."

Sounds like Mazda may be ramping up soon for the 07's (hence the supply and demand issues).

BTW - these numbers are for North America only.
  • Options
    nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    Who cares about the number, I don't
    Whats your point???
    Only proves you are associated with Mazda in some way..
    I have owned many cars and never had the urge to know the sale numbers for any of them, why would you? but you are entitled to your opinions
  • Options
    My point was that it looks like sales of compact cars are up across the board. I think it is an interesting trend due to the fact that Americans (like myself) are waking up about gas prices. Personally I think it is a good thing. Coming from an SUV, I wonder how many other 3 owners are in the same boat as me.

Not sure what personal problem you have with me, but this is a Mazda 3 forum, and that is what I posted about. And the above numbers are not my opinion they are the actual sales totals. And my line of business is not even closely related to the automotive industry. I just like cars.....
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I have owned many cars and never had the urge to know the sale numbers for any of them, why would you?

did the thought ever cross your mind that your not the only person on here?...we enjoy the contributions of all. Not just your consistently negative comments.
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    The Corolla - 37K - up 38%- this would be the last car I would buy -

Higher gas prices have not really done much to change peoples driving habits - just a fact - if you don't agree then explain why was June the second highest month ever for gas usage (not dollars - gallons) in the USA. Usage was up 105,000 BARRELS PER DAY over May. Must be all of those HIGH MPG Corollas.

People must be towing them (Corollas) behind there Suvs - how else can we explain the increase in gas usage?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Or maybe it's because June is the start of the busy summer vacation driving season, when gas usage typically increases.
  • Options
    There is a simple explanation why June usage was up over May. School is out and many people (myself included) loaded up their vehicles and went on road trips (for me, it was the beach). Historically summer months are the busiest times at the gas pumps.

All I know is that if you look on the roads here in DC there are more and more hybrids and smaller cars on the road. The fact that Honda and Toyota dealers cannot keep the Civic, Fit, and Yaris on the lot means something.

That said, I have a neighbor who just bough a Hummer H2. He got a heck of a deal on it because the dealer is having a hard time selling them right now due to gas prices. (Hummer H2 sales are down 53% in June 06 vs, June 05). I guess you won't see driving habits change over night, but if gas hits $5 a gallon in the next couple years as many analysts are predicting I may be dropping my neighbor off at the bus stop every morning....
  • Options
    allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    Actually there are two settings for the instrument panel at night. One is bright red markings on the blue background and the other is a much dimmer red and the blue is almost invisible. It's adjusted by the button on the hood of the instruments (looks identical to the trip odo reset but on the other side). I have found I prefer the dimmer setting MUCH more because the blue background was driving me insane. In my peripheral vision I'd see the blue and think I had my hi-beams on.
  • Options
    I know there were some A/C issues with the first year model ('04) and those have been resolved by all accounts I've seen/read. Complaints that the A/C isn't powerful enough to cool in extreme heat are still somewhat common, at least on most automotive sites I go to.

I have a theory about the A/C not being powerful enough. The vast majority of 3's have black interior. For the s, it's the only choice. Black interior is going to be hotter than a light color after it has sat in the heat for a while. Logically, it's going to take longer for the A/C to cool it down if it's several degrees hotter.

It takes at least 5-7 minutes for my car to get comfortable on the 95+ degree days we've been having in Atlanta lately. Cracking the windows for a few minutes helps because of the airflow. After the aforementioned 5-7 minutes, it cools perfectly well (and I'm very hot natured). I drove it to Houston last month in sweltering heat and not once during the trip did I even turn the fan above the '2' setting.
  • Options
    My best friend has a Mazda6 s. He bought it a few months before I got my 3. The seating position in his actually feels lower than in mine, but that could just be my perception. I'm 6'2", so I don't touch the height adjustment. I just leave it all the way down. But it's a great feature for someone who can use it. I actually wish the seat would go a little lower.
  • Options
    I'm the kind of person who likes to know everything I possibly can about things I enjoy. Cars are a hobby of mine, so I read all the major car mags, visit numerous automotive websites including this one and talk with other car savvy folks online.

I find sales figures interesting, particularly in relation to competitors. Then again, I'm an accountant.

I seriously doubt someone affiliated with Mazda would want to include sales figures for Toyota and Honda when they're selling three or four times as many cars in the same class!
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Gas usage is seasonal - but the USA is using more now than we did in 2005 - I would think people went to the beach and took vacations last year too.

I think gas will need to be over $4.00 (more like $5.00) before most people change - My neighbor thinks that the oil companies are paying off the car companies so they will not produce cars that get better MPG / or produce electric cars. But then he also thinks the government should pass a law that caps the price of gas at $1.00 a gallon - just what we need more laws - or some new government program. He also would like to see a tax on oil companies so we could all get $100 rebate checks from Uncle Sam.

I just wish my Mazda3 had a larger gas tank - so I could go more than 250 miles between fill ups.
  • Options
    dc driver- good point. Small car sales definitely are up and SUV sales (particularly full size are plummeting). I think SUV sales will continue to decrease as people realize the high gas prices are here to stay. I know a few SUV drivers who are still in denial at this point. My parents are two of them...Grand Cherokee and Explorer V8s.

Car-based crossovers are where the future market will be for SUVs. Ford Freestyle, Mazda CX-7, Honda CRV, etc. are the future.

Small cars are also an exploding market. The introduction of the Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, Toyota Yaris as well as the redesigned Kia Rio and Hyundai Accent couldn't have come at a better time.

I've also heard Mazda is joining the party with the Mazda2 at some point in 2007. Anyone else heard anything about that? Ford will probably bring the Fiesta here, too.
  • Options
    homerj31homerj31 Member Posts: 13
    When are the 2007 Mazda3 expected to hit the dealers?

Also, does anyone know what kind of clutch system is in the Mazda3? Cable or hydraulic? I have a 99 Mustang GT with a cable clutch and the peddle is to stiff. I will never own another cable clutch again.
  • Options
    sir_timbitsir_timbit Member Posts: 39
    Well from what I've seen, Mazda new year introductions tend to show up fairly late in the year. Even Sept-Oct might be pushing it...

I hope I'm wrong, because I found a page that details the changes for the 2007 model, and I want that one!

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2060419.004/country/jcf/Mazda/2007-m- azda3

For me the nice thing is the new aux input for the stereo, especially since the head units in newer Mazdas would be a royal pain to replace.
  • Options
    waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    I stopped by a Mazda dealer Saturday to look at the 3 and inquired about the 2007's... the salesman said Sept/Oct, but when I told him I was waiting for an 07 instead of buying an 06 (the color choices are horrible, there so little inventory left).... he went to talk to the manager that orders the cars and he came back and said that they were going to be here by end of August/early Sept at latest. Said they were already on the ship!
    Alas, I decided to go with the other car I was looking at -the Scion tC. I love Mazdas (I've owned 2 P5's) but decided to go with something different this time... and I'm a single guy, don't "need" 4 doors. Pick up my new tC tonight :) If the Scion wouldn't have been around it would have been M3 all the way.
  • Options
    mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    Who cares about the number, I don't
    Whats your point???
    Only proves you are associated with Mazda in some way..
    I have owned many cars and never had the urge to know the sale numbers for any of them, why would you? but you are entitled to your opinions "

There are sales figures all across these message boards. They are a part of the whole picture, just like CD sales and box office are to those indutries. Why are you convinced this would mean someone is associated with Mazda? Very strange....

Mods - is there any way to ignore posters you find utterly useless?
  • Options
    ajg7ajg7 Member Posts: 2
    In Australia the 2007 Mazda 3 models are arriving now with my local dealer (in Western Australia) taking delivery of some next week. Got confirmation today that my Phantom Purple Mazda 3 with leather seats etc arrives in August. Mega excited as it is my first new car after four second hand cars. Can't wait.
  • Options
    For me the nice thing is the new aux input for the stereo, especially since the head units in newer Mazdas would be a royal pain to replace. "

I agree that this is nice to have included, but FYI, there are at least 4-5 aftermarket solutions for Aux inputs for the 3 that go into either the disc changer or cassette ports in the back. Mine cost $50 and was easy to hook up...

Don't like those new wheels at all though. Big step down from the classic looking 5 spokes. And will be much harder to clean...
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Yep! Just skip on by the post! ;)

That said, we all need to drop the personal comments, please.
  • Options
    jrcartjrcart Member Posts: 1
    Anyone driven or heard of how the Mazda 3 performs in the snow?
    Thinking of buying one but also moving to CO.
    Thanks
  • Options
    waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    I've driven my Mazda3S for 30,000+ miles here in CO. It's performance in snow is typical of front-wheel-drive autos. The M3 is a excellent handling vehicle, but performance in snow is mainly dependent on what tires you use. My daughter lives near Vail and uses Brigestone Blizzaks in the winter; I get by with just all-season tires.
  • Options
    Folks who are MZ3 shopping in the northeast are in for a surprise concerning availability...the selection in the past couple weeks has dropped to almost nothing.

I have a stack of orders that probably won't get filled...
  • Options
    "Folks who are MZ3 shopping in the northeast are in for a surprise concerning availability... the selection in the past couple weeks has dropped to almost nothing."

Wow, I am glad I bought in June :) I checked on several different local dealer sites, and dealers that usually have 50-60 3's in stock only have 30-40 (these are dealers that have muliple Mazda dealerships and combine stock on their website). Other dealers have less than 10...

Still looks like you can pick one up in Maryland/Virginia for invoice or lower though...
  • Options
    dairyshickdairyshick Member Posts: 129
    I'm finally getting the Mazda-specific Sirius tuner kit for my MZ3 GT this weekend, but my big dilemma is to install it myself and risk dinging up the trim or damaging the radio; or do I just pay the extra $120 and have the dealer install it? I'm also concerned that if anything happens with the radio, even if it's not related to the sirius being installed by me, they'll try to say I caused the problem with the self-install and not cover any future stereo problems. Therefore, is it worth the extra $120 to have the dealer do this, or is it pretty safe to do on my own??

Any insight or experiences with this would be much appreciated!
  • Options
    davesbrewdavesbrew Member Posts: 45
    (summary below if you want to skip the rambling)

Well, I can't speak to the sirius kit itself, but when doing the install myself of the rear console ashtray (dont get me started-- a poor solution for extra storage) I had to take out the inbetween-the-seats console, area around the gear shift, on up to and including the lower part of the dash. It was scary, as I had only had my GT about a month, but went fairly easily using the supplied Mazda instructions (which BTW, arent as good as the ones supplied for Honda). The only problem I had was with the point near the driver's knee on the bottom console where it hits the dash. I would strongly recommend using a chamois or terrycloth right there to keep it from getting scratched. I didn't do so, and it scratched the point a little making it sharp and not line up as exactly as it was. It's not noticeable though unless you're looking for it, but still a mistake. As is the case in most cars, the Mazda 3 uses those things (-can't remember the name--friction bolts?) that pop in and out with force, so it makes you think you're about to break something by pulling. I for one wished for more screws.

So to sum up, if the 120 is worth not having to worry about breaking something, or being able to blame someone and have them fix it if something goes wrong, then pay it. But overall, aside from the worryfactor, opening up the dash isnt too bad.
  • Options
    I'm finally getting the Mazda-specific Sirius tuner kit for my MZ3 GT this weekend, but my big dilemma is to install it myself and risk dinging up the trim or damaging the radio; or do I just pay the extra $120 and have the dealer install it? I'm also concerned that if anything happens with the radio, even if it's not related to the sirius being installed by me, they'll try to say I caused the problem with the self-install and not cover any future stereo problems. Therefore, is it worth the extra $120 to have the dealer do this, or is it pretty safe to do on my own??

Any insight or experiences with this would be much appreciated! "

If you are experienced in putting in a head unit, the install will be a breeze. It's much easier than that - pull out the head unit, connect the cable, route some wires, and your done. I did it myself and it took maybe 1.5 hours - and that was in the dark with the battery disconnected and a flashlight. If you aren't experienced in car stereo at all, I'd pay the $120.

I thought they were installing them at the port now? None are on the lot with it already installed?
  • Options
    jamison1jamison1 Member Posts: 4
    dealership did it for me for $90. It was the first one they ever did though and took the tech like 4 hours! When i went back to look at how he was doing the car was pretty torn apart.

My free time is worth money too that is why i decided to have the dealer do it. I'm not real interested in ripping my new car apart and running wire all over and hoping for the best.

definitely enjoying commercial free music!
  • Options
    Well, I decided to take the challenge on myself, and installed last night. It took about 2.5 hours, but only because the DIN cable connecting the tuner to the HU needed to be adjusted to get a bit more slack...that thing doesn't have much excess at all!! Anyway, the process is extremely easy, as most trim pieces are just clipped on, and the ones with screws only have 1 or 2. To make things even better, when I went to activate it on Sirius.com, it gave me an offer for 6 months free, which I wasn't expecting at all!! Plus, I didn't get the $10 installation kit, but that didn't affect the installation one bit.
    Anyway, just thought I'd let anyone else thinking of installing themselves know that it's definitely an easy enough task as long as you have the slightest bit of confidence in pulling a couple trip pieces of your car apart. Just follow the MZ3-specific instructions (online for free!), and you'll be all set.
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    They'll be in short supply real soon!

http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/200607/0727a.html

Meade
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    4700 Mazda's lost at sea

There may be a Mazda 3 shortage.
  • Options
  • Options
    Funny my Mazda dealer just called me today and told me he has a great deal on a Mazda 3 with "slight water damage" and it should be available over the next month or two...

Hmmm..

Just joking :)
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    With a 90 degree list they will be lucky to salvage 1 of the 4700 vehicles.
  • Options
    meade....

As if we need a supply hiccup...

I normally stock 40-45 Mazda3....and we have 4.

We actually had some nut come in today who is going to wait until there are "left-over rebates" and he was serious.
  • Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I normally stock 40-45 Mazda3....and we have 4.

audi...I am the same way. I stock 40-45, and I have 3 left. 1 Grand Touring stick, Touring auto and 5-door Touring auto.

Is August going to be as tough for you as it is me?
  • Options
    Here's the best photo I've found so far, right off the U.S. Coast Guard's home page. It'll give you some idea of the scale of this little oopsy (yeah, I realize the C.G. cutter is in the background, but still -- wow! Big ship):

http://www.uscg.mil/photos/COUGARACE.jpg

Note that it's a big photo, in case your computer tries to rescale it for you. Bring it back to full size and -- wowzers. Poor Mazdas.

According to the Coast Guard, the ship is still listing but shows no signs of sinking.

"Mitsui O.S.K. Lines officials have contracted the salvage company Crowley Marine. Titan Maritime LLC, a unit of Crowley, will assist in towing the vessel to an appropriate port. Titan's tug, the Sea Victory, departed Seattle on Tuesday at 9:40 p.m. and is projected to arrive at the Cougar Ace's location on August 2."

This does make you wonder -- if the cars are damaged, what will Mazda do with them? Scrap them and recycle them into new cars would be the appropriate thing to do. Mazda doesn't need to be known as the Chrysler of the 21st Century.

Meade
  • Options
    This does make you wonder -- if the cars are damaged, what will Mazda do with them? Scrap them and recycle them into new cars would be the appropriate thing to do. Mazda doesn't need to be known as the Chrysler of the 21st Century. "

Wouldn't they have insurance for things like this?
  • Options
    But that still doesn't address what would be done with the 4,700 damaged cars. It's like when I had a $3,000 homeowner's claim for lightning damage to a bunch of electronics in my house in 1991: the insurance company wrote me a check and then told me to do whatever I wanted to with the damaged equipment.

Writing a big ol' check won't make all those damaged cars just disappear into thin air!

Meade
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Of spare parts for for a while to come. Good thing there was no fire.

But then again, if there isn't that much water involved, I bet the cars are locked down. There may be a bunch of undamaged vehicles on there. I wonder how much can a car be inverted before the tow hooks let go.
  • Options
    murphydogmurphydog Member Posts: 735
    I have no idea how they could secure each car such that they would not be damaged with that kind of list. You have to balance a quick load/unload vs. shifting during transport. Somehow is this day and age of just in time inventory I suspect each car is quickly secured against normal ship movements, not bolted to the deck.

I guess on the plus side there should be plenty of low mile engines, transmissions and other parts. Perhaps Mazda will help those of us who have dinged a wheel on a curb and offer a "shipping special" on a replacement rim or two? ;)
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    ..that if no water damage is involved, a lot of those will be sold as used... Just like Subaru did with the hail-damaged vehicles..

Of course, out of 4700 vehicles, 3000 or more might be totaled... I have no idea how violently they were thrown around...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Can get rather pitchy couldn't it? I know when a car is placed on a regular transport they ratchet them down pretty tightly. Especially if they are going any distance. Haven't you ever seen cars on trucks looking like they have a 3 inch drop. Tires tucked nicely into the fenders.
  • Options
    sir_timbitsir_timbit Member Posts: 39
    I was at one of the dealers in town today, and he just received four 2007 hatchbacks...I wish Mazda kept the older wheel design!

Said he had a couple of '07 sedans arriving next week. So despite the bad news at least some 2007 models are already out there.
  • Options
    qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    The new wheels and grille were the main reasons I bought an 06. That and the model I wanted just happen to be coming in on the truck.

Dave
  • Options
    Now that the 2007's will supposedly have aux jacks standard, does this mean there's hope for a mazda genuine auxiliary jack add-on to become available for the 2006's?? If not, are there any out there that actually plug into the back of the HU where the MD or tape deck would go??
  • Options
    davesbrewdavesbrew Member Posts: 45
    here's hoping.
    I do think there are some aftermarket ones out there.. I seem to remember reading a thread on the big protege (also MZ3) messageboard on the www. (not listing because can't remember if I'm allowed to give competing messageboards). If i'm remembering right, the aftermarket system plugs into the same jack the sirius and cassette jack plugs into on the head unit. It was a few months ago that i read this, so I may be wrong, but if I'm right, that nixes you from having the option. Read a bit on those boards and you'll find your answer though. It may be if sirius and cassette/md are separate inputs, that only the cassette input is used up, and you'll be fine.