Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda3

Comments

• Options
    mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    Yes. Google auxmod.

I have it, works well
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Line in options.

PIE- Line in only. Provides RCA or 3.5mm inputs (depending on which connector you buy) through the sirius/CD changer jack on the back of the HU. You also need the connector ALP/M-RCA for RCA, ALP/M-3.5M for 3.5mm. ~$95

Aux Mod Basic- Line in only. Provides 3.5mm input through the Tape/MD jack. ~$55

Audio Link/NASmusic- Full Integration with steering wheel controls. Provides a line in plus either an ipod dock connector or a USB plug, and charges the ipod. Connects through the sirius/CD changer jack on the back of the HU. ~$140 (Audio Link [AL2005U] for USB instead of ipod)

Denison Icelink (DICE) / icarkits I-MAZDA-R- Full ipod integration with steering wheel controls. Connects to ipod with dock connector, to the sirius/CD changer jack on the back of the HU. Charges the ipod. ~$159
  • Options
    I've got a deal to buy an 06 sGT sedan with sunroof, but now they can't get a dealer to trade with them. No one within 100 miles of me even has one so it's no wonder. I might have to make 6 hour road trip and try to get one on my own.

It's tough waiting when you know it's out there and you just can't get your hands on it!
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    What color did you decide to go with??
  • Options
    smallcar1smallcar1 Member Posts: 76
    Be sure to test drive before you buy. I test drove 2 cars in the heat yesterday and the AC was so bad in both that I won't buy a 3.

Never have a found a car in which the A/C was working that the A/C was so bad that it would keep me from buying a car.
  • Options
    lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    I'm surprised to hear that. My 2006 Mazda 3i A/C performs just fine in the Tucson, AZ area.
  • Options
    luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    Not sure if I want more power or better gas mileage. Which one is the better engine? Would I be saving that much more with the 2l?
  • Options
    dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    "Not sure if I want more power or better gas mileage. Which one is the better engine? Would I be saving that much more with the 2l?"

If you prefer a manual, I think the 3i (2l) is more than adequate. In 2006 Mazda included variable valve timing in the 2.0 engine and, to me, there was only a slight difference in acceleration. If you want an automatic, I would probably go with the 2.3L since it has a five speed auto and feels much more responsive than the four speed auto in the 2.0 liter...

My .02 cents...
  • Options
    smallcar1smallcar1 Member Posts: 76
    Are your windows tinted? Does it make that much difference?
  • Options
    Automatic would be my trany. What are real world gas mileage for either? Does it matter if it's the four or five door because it might weigh more?

I'm looking for good gas mileage and as much interior room as I can get. I also want a car that I won't look fruity in. The 3 has a sporty look to it. I also like the versatility of a hatch. I wish the 3 had better crash test scores but since IIHS only tested it without side airbags... :confuse: Not many economical sedans have great crash test scores except the 2006 Civic only I've heard it's having mechanical problems. :sick:
  • Options
    lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    My 3i windows are not tinted.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    What have you heard about Civics? As a current owner of an older Civic, and looking forward to the supply catching up with the "off the hook" demand, I read that forum often. Haven't seen anything to be concerned about.
  • Options
    d_hyperd_hyper Member Posts: 130
    There's a separate thread on Civic AC issues, mostly focusing on a design feature which disable AC during "hard" accelerations.
  • Options
    davesbrewdavesbrew Member Posts: 45
    my 2.3L 3-s auto GT with rear wing factory spoiler (increasing drag) averages 26.5 mpg in a mix of hwy and city driving, averaging 42mph between the two.

And my AC in Kansas City stinks. the black leather interior is probably partially the culprit. Thinking of tinting the windows in the hopes that will help. If anyone has any experience with tint and the effect on the interior temp, please respond.
  • Options
    amartin56amartin56 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 I Touring Automatic. Silver with black cloth interior. 100 plus in Texas most days. Would use a Mazda 3 'official' sun visor when car was parked (with usually no shade available).

AC on max would make me comfortable for the most part, put it never froze me out which is a bit of a concern. I'm usually home in 20 minutes though so not sure if it would if I drove it longer.

Recently had Solargard Premium 28 (near the legal limit here) added all around and it made a BIG difference IMO. Car still doesn't freeze, but it's much more confortable.
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Tint helps the AC keep the car cool - plus I think it makes it look much better. The stock windows in the Mazda3 are almost clear.

I went with Solargard HP charcoal 32 - which means it lets 32% of the light through (transmittance) - absorbs 58% and reflects 10%.

The law in Texas is the combined film for the side windows (what came on the car plus what is added) can net be less than 35% transmittance, so I am not really legal.

This is a good site.

http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/

The guy that did my cars has been tinting windows in Texas for 15 years - he told me that he has used this dark of film on thousands of cars and never had a problem. But said he would not go any darker - it could cause a problem when you get the car inspected.
  • Options
    Texas Law is 25% for aftermarket as of 2003:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/tint.htm
  • Options
    Good site - glad I am legal with my 32% tint. 25% would be pretty dark - I know even the 32% on my windows makes it hard to see through at night on a dark road.
  • Options
    Yeah...haven't tried it at night yet. :) But I pretty much stay in the city (Austin) so I'm not really worried.
  • Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Hey everyone. Last night, we received our first shipment of Mazda3's. We have 2 Mazda3 i Touring's, and 1 Mazda3 5-door Touring. Colors are Sunlight Silver, Galaxy Gray, and Aurora Blue. The 2007 face lift is beautiful! The i model looks much more classy with the new front bumper and upgraded interior. The s model looks great as well. The interior metallic accents look very elegant. as well as the new fabric.
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    What is the estimated cost for tinting all the side and rear windows on the Mazda3 5 door? I'm looking for medium quality tinting. Also, how long does a typical tint job take?

I'm looking more to protect myself from the UV rays and heat rather than for aesthetic reasons. Yesterday I took my 3 for the first time for an hour drive in sunny weather and wow was my arms and legs burning after only 10 minutes or so.
  • Options
    I'm sure you can find different/better pricing depending on what you want /want to pay for. I paid $225 for the installation of Solargard Premium 28 on my 3i. Dealer arranged it and gave me something to drive that day so while I'm sure I probably paid a bit of a premium I think the lack of effort it required on my part was worth it.
  • Options
    I paid $210 for premium tint with a lifetime warranty from a reputable shop.. Prices ranged from $99 to close to $400..

I would stay away from the "bargain" tint shops, ask them how long they have been in the business, and make sure it comes with a lifetime warranty that covers fading.

I'll bet if you ask around you can find a reputable shop in your area.
  • Options
    monkey7312monkey7312 Member Posts: 26
    More details, please!! I have only seen 1 exterior picture and I like it. I just don't know if I like the new rims as much as the other ones.
  • Options
    3i /3i Touring
    15" steel wheels/16" alloy wheels
    air cond.-Opt. /air cond.-std.
    No power windows/power windows
    no power locks /power locks
    no keyless entry/keyless entry
    N/A /moonroof 6-CD package-opt.
    remote dual /power dual
    outside mirrors /outside mirrors
    N/A /Driver's seat lever type
    /height adj. with adj. lumbar support
    N/A /2 tweeters
    N/A /cruise control w/mounted
    /ill. mounted controls on steering
    MSRP: $13,710 /$15,990 a difference of $2,280
    Invoice:$12,848 /$14,975 a difference of $2,127

Did I miss anything?
  • Options
    I paid around $200 (plus tax) through the dealership - but most dealers hire an independent to come in and do the work.

I called around to a few tint shops and the prices ran from $99 to $450 - which is a crazy range.

They all claim to have a LIFETIME warranty - but how many of these guys will even be around in 12 months?

That is why I went with the dealer - they have a better chance to still be around if there is a problem.

When I got my Acura TL tinted I called the guy who had done my Mazda3 2 1/2 years ago - in Texas the company doing the tint must (by law) put a sticker on the drivers side window indicating who did the work. Since I new he had done a great job with the Mazda3 I felt good about him doing my TL.

He charged $175 (no tax) - came to my house - did the work in my garage - it took him about an hour.
  • Options
    modockmodock Member Posts: 55
    Has anyone had a good experiance in the denver metro. Looking to get it done but want to use someone who has been recomended. Thanks
    PS I'm on the north side of town
  • Options
    I was hoping to get Copper Red but was willing to take White or Winning Blue. In the end they just couldn't get one. They just weren't within 150 miles of here and no dealer would do the trade. So then I saw the cash being offered on 6's. I got a 6s Sport model in Redfire Metallic for $250 more than what I was going to pay for the 3s Grand Touring. So far I'm really happy I did it. As much as I love the 3, the 6 with a V6 is a fun car. I'll miss the leather but everything else I wanted is on the car so basically I traded leather for a bigger car and a bigger engine.
  • Options
    sir_timbitsir_timbit Member Posts: 39
    Aux/MP3 jack is supposedly standard on the 2007s as well, with Ipod support coming soon.
  • Options
    The Mazda3 5-door has a different grill, looks more like the one that will be on the speed3. I hear ya on the 17" alloys...I liked previous model better. The interior trim in the center console is really nice. They added a "titanim-like" tim in the dash, and center console.

On the i model, the gauge faces are white and there is a wood-like dash trim that looks rather nice. Also, the HVAC controls have a "titanium like" finish. looks very nice. A/C was the coldest I have ever felt in a Mazda3. The i model fabric is great, nice and soft, yet feels durable. Another nice change to the i model is the s model tail lights. No more solid red. The 16" alloy's are quite nice.
  • Options
    monkey7312monkey7312 Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for the info! Sounds like everything is nice...
  • Options
    I heard stability control was supposed to be optional on the 5-door for 2007 models. Is it also offered on the sedans?
  • Options
    ...Sonata GLS 4 cyl

3i invoice-$14,975 + 4 speed auto trany-$810 + ABS/SAB/SAC Package- $340 + Destination- $560 = $16,685

Sonata GLS 4 cyl invoice- $17,896 + Destination-$600 - 1,500 current rebate = $16,996

So this means one could buy a considerably larger sedan (3i=94 cu ft interior, 11 cu ft trunk/ Sonata 105 cu ft interior, 16 cu ft trunk) and 12 more horse power (3i 150 Hp/Sonata 162 Hp) for only $311 more!

If you want more power,try a Sonata GLS V6 for invoice- $19,231 + Destination $600 - $2,500 current rebate = $17,331 (235 Hp). Only $335 more than GLS 4 cyl and $646 more than 3i!

Don't forget the Hyundai has longer warranty! ;)
  • Options
    Hmm. I am not sure this is the right comparison for the Sonata. I think the Mazda6 would be a better comparison and local Mazda dealers are selling the 4cyl model for about 3K under invoice making it cheaper than the 3 (Fitzmall.com is selling a 6 (4cyl) with a 5 speed auto for $16195 (this includes destination

While the 3 is smaller than the Sonata, it also handles completely different (much more sporty feel than the Sonata) and is much lighter, thus negating the Sonata's horsepower advantage. The 3 will also get better gas mileage overall as well. I have driven the Sonata and think it is a solid value, but IMHO it is a more boring car than the 3. If I were in the market for a larger sedan, I would definitely consider the Sonata.
  • Options
    I agree with luvmbooty that this is an apples/oranges comparison and also that the sonata is a fine auto.
    However, 3 important factors need to additionally be weighed if you're comparing cost.

Fuel: The 3 is more fuel efficient.

Warranty: though the sonata has an incredible warranty, it is not fully transferrable, and extended warranties are available for Mazdas at a pretty reasonable cost.

and
    Depreciation: Hyundai autos have horrible depreciation,(Mazda 5 yr depreciation =$10267 v. Hyundai $12558) which can be partially avoided if you plan on hanging on to the sonata for a long while and taking advantage of the long warranty. But if you finance the car, as most folks do, gap insurance is a must, and should be factored into the overall cost (but only if you're financing substantially the full cost of the car).
    Incidentally the 5 year TCO on the 2 cars is $0.42/mile for the mazda3 v. 0.49/mi for the sonata.

So, on the mazda3 v. the Hyundai Sonata apples/oranges price matchup, the 3 will be cheaper long run unless you plan on driving the vehicle into the ground and equalizing the hyundai warranty benefit with the depreciation problem while not consuming much fuel.
    That said, the sonata's not a bad choice at all. It's a good car and is a better choice than many small cars out there. That 3 just comes out a little ahead on a cost comparison (and on a performance comparison, though that's not analyzed here)
  • Options
    ...because I like both cars.

I like the 3i's MPGs and definitely an out-the-door price under $20k.

I like Sonata's interior, warranty, and also, either GLS, has an out-the-door price under $20k.

I have a family of 5. Wife, 12, 9, 3 year old kids and I to fit in a car. Over the next 5 years the kids are growing. I'm wondering if the 3 will be big enough.
  • Options
    family of 5 in the 3-- noway. I've got a wife and carseat kid and the 3 is a little cramped. sonata may even be a little cramped. if possible have everyone sit in there at the same time and imagine everyone's accessories (diaper bags, school bags, etc.) Then imagine if you were carting around luggage too. I recently recommended to a friend who's looking for a family car under 20, a 2 yr old grand marquis or crown vic for the space, decent reliability, comfort, and cheap parts. If you're determined to buy new, there's always the accord and new camry that you can also get into under 20. The sonata redesign is getting a little better reviews than the previous model, but in general, either sonata is a good choice.
    While you're considering the koreans, the amanti may be worth a look if you like the styling, as it's been advertised here in the Kansas City area at 18.9k.
    I was in a Hyundai Azera a couple days ago, and was very impressed with the styling, comfort, and space. If you look hard enough, you may be able to break the 20k barrier with that too.
    Good luck with the fun car buying/looking process. IMHO though, the mazda3 is too small.
  • Options
    sir_timbitsir_timbit Member Posts: 39
    Excellent! I hated the plain red tailights. :-)
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. It's quite surprising to find such a big difference in quoted prices. At least now I'll know if I'm getting the short end of the stick. Now the next step is finding a reputable shop. I'm not too fond of the dealership where I bought my 3.
  • Options
    austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    I don't know if this is old information on this thread or not, but I did come across two news items about the '07 Mazda3. The first one has some very nice photos and mentions more insulation against road noise.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/03/07/20062007-mazda3-facelift-in-depth

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/release_display.cfm?release=23151
  • Options
    Thanks for the pics. From looking at the pictures, it looks like headlight washers may also have been added too. I didnt see them listed on any press releases, but that's the only reason I know for those rectangular-shaped openings underneath the headlights.
    The new stability control and mp3 input makes me almost wish I had waited till 07 instead of getting my 06 a few months ago.
  • Options
    mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    What's with the one red lamp only on the left side of the back? I assume it's for rear fogs, but it throws the whole look off. And where's the other reverse light?

• Options
    sigt1sigt1 Member Posts: 66
    does the moonroof package with the 6 disc CD play MP3s? There is a 500 dollar option for a 6 disc CD/MP3 player. Is this the same player as the one included in the $895 moonroof package? I'm confused as to what package/options are neccessary to play MP3s in this car. The way I see it (from configuring online), it seems impossible to have the MP3 player and the moonroof togethor. Can someone shed some light on this situation? Also, does anyone have an aftermarket shark fin antennae? How is the quality on this?

- Mike K.
  • Options
    The front grill on the Mazda3 5-door does not look like that. It looks more like the one found on the Mazdaspeed3. I knowe this because there is one on my lot!
  • Options
    spsnackspsnack Member Posts: 2
    The CD changer with the moonroof package does not play MP3s. You can, however, get the the 6 CD changer that plays MP3s as an option. I have orderd an 07 due in the next two weeks, and I specified the CD changer that played MP3s (and no moonroof, which I did not want anyway). I don't know why they don't just make the changer that comes with the moonroof be the one that plays MP3s (though this is less of a concern on the 07's since the auxiliary line in is standard). Very few cars come with the 6 CD changer with MP3 unless they are special ordered, but the dealership should be able to install one (I had quotes ranging from $460 to $1,100 to do this). I should also mention that I spoke to several Mazda sales folks who were unaware of the difference between the 2 6 CD changers.

Scott
  • Options
    jgibson146jgibson146 Member Posts: 3
    I think the headlight washers you are talking about are for delivery in another country. I saw an 07 GT 5door aurora Blue and looked at the front and no headlight washers. Other than that it looked great, I would have bought it except it was a standard and I need an auto.
  • Options
    v_dv_d Member Posts: 89
    do you have a pic with it?
    GUYS CAN YOU TRY TO PUT SOME PICS ON THE FORUM!
    THANKS.

maybe the washers are optional or in a luxury package (my money is on the pack)... i do think someone talked about packages and options in the posting before you.
  • Options
    pianoman3pianoman3 Member Posts: 1
    I have some stains on the driver's seat from sweating during the summer; and the shirt I was wearing bled into the seat. Took it to a clean/detail place, admittedly quite a while after this first happened. It's only slightly better, and they said this fabric is quite hard to clean. Anyone have any ideas? (other than wearing light-colored shirts!!)
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    After you get the seat clean (hope hope), apply Scotchgard on the fabric to help prevent this from happening again.
  • Options
    lahirilahiri Member Posts: 394
    This extra red light is "European". My friend's 1999 Audi A6 also has this extra red light. Are you sure that this photo is of the American version of 3?