Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Murano Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    easym1easym1 Member Posts: 218
    Guess what, this window rolling down just happened to me this evening. I read quite a few problem about this and did not expect it to happen to me. I went to see a friend and on the way out, I noticed that my both my front windows are one third down. The worse part is it was raining this evening and my car was soaken wet inside. I placed my keys on the side pocket of my jacket and I don't see any reason that my keys can get depressed since my pocket is loose. I dont know what could have triggered it. I hope it's not sensitive to other type of remote control devices around that neighborhood.
  • Options
    terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    I haven't had the window problem, but have set off the alarm, if whatever pocket the deal is in gets pressed by my leg, the side of a chair, etc. ;)
  • Options
    whitallwhitall Member Posts: 190
    Are you going to get it checked? I wish someone would solve this. My dealer said that if it did it by itself (not operator error) there would be a code in the computer. Since there was none, he sent me on my way. It makes me nervous...Luckily it didn't rain, and I TRY to use the garage at night, but can't always.

A few weeks ago there was a rash of burglaries in PA where the thieves entered unlocked cars and used the garage openers to enter houses which were occupied. Having my car entered and being robbed (car or house) scares me more than the water.

Can we get the window down feature disabled?? When would anybody really NEED that?
  • Options
    It is useful for me during the summer mostly when it's too hot. I rather let it down remotely and, let some some air in and allow the warm air to get out before getting inside my car.

But winter is gonna be here and I won't be needing it. Just like what our friend was whitall was asking, "can we get the window down disabled?". I' would also like to know how it can be done.
  • Options
    jbayjbay Member Posts: 1
    Strange....I have a new Murano with 1,500 on the clock and I have had leak problems!! After some heavy rain it started leaking around the driver/passenger overhead light, then on the driver side front column. They checked it out and said it was the seal on the drain plug in the sunroof. My question - does a sunroof leak THAT much??

I haven't had it in the rain since it was fixed this week, but we'll see. I'm also concerned with any lasting water damage that may have occured but is not yet seen!!
  • Options
    My sunroof drain leak caused a wet spot from just above the a-pillar seam where it meets the headliner to down about 5 inchesd on the window side of the a-pillar. They claimed to have fixed that.

My second leak wet the entire a-pillar on the part where it meets the window, not the edge along the windshield and also along the edge of the headliner above the front door window. They never isolated that source, but claim to have replaced all the seals and weatherstrips. Don't know if they did the sunroof drain plug along with that. I never saw any leakage around my lights.

I haven't had it out in any heavy rain since the repair since every time a storm threatens, it has high winds or hail possibility, so I put it in the garage.

Make sure your headliner is not stained and make them clean it or replace it if is.
  • Options
    zoocosmozoocosmo Member Posts: 13
    Hello all,

Anyone know how I can fix my HID cheaply? I was told by the local dealership that I had the Headlight Amplifier out. He advised that it would be $460 for the part and $200 for labor. Now I am prepared to mount a flashlight where the bulb goes and use that for now. Any ideas?
  • Options
    What year is your Murano :confuse:

I checked with a buddy of mine who is the service manager with the local Infinity outfit, and he says he has never replaced that unit before...
  • Options
    zoocosmozoocosmo Member Posts: 13
    I wish that were true for me. It is a 2003. I have been checking online and think that it may be called a HID ballast. Before I purchase it off of Ebay I need to make sure that there is no other alternative.
  • Options
    I would call Nissan tomorrow, and ask them if perhaps it is a defective part. Please don't go by what some service writer at your dealership says..... ;)

I have never heard of one going bad. Has anyone else heard of that?
  • Options
    njmedicnjmedic Member Posts: 18
    Do check with Nissan about this - I have a 2003 Murano and was shocked when while I had it in for another repair and asked them to replace a burned out headlight, only to be told the entire unit had to be replaced. Supposedly, when this goes, it "shorts out" the bulb, making for a huge bill! I told the service manager that if this happened again, I was NOT paying for anything but the bulb. Halogen bulbs are expensive enough.

Sandi in NJ
  • Options
    ravinpatravinpat Member Posts: 8
    Hi our AC stopped working on our 2004 Murano we only have 20K miles on it. Supposidly a rock hit the grill and has let the ac leak out. Now the dealer wants to charge us 750 to repair it. I contacted consumer affairs and they said they will look into it for me. Has this happened to anyone else? It sounds more like a manufactor flaw in the design that would leave the AC so vulnerable? Any thoughts or suggestions?
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's a road hazard issue and your insurance might cover it.

It's like when a rock hits your windshield or a nail goes through your tire. It's not a warranty claim because the cause is external.
  • Options
    even though the design of the car is flawed IMO? I mean why make the grill so big if rocks can get thru it?
  • Options
    Well unfortunately AC condensers need air flow and short of armor plating, a little rock at high speed can get through just about any car's grillwork. Besides, it's an external object hitting the car. You can't blame the car for that any more than one could argue that cars with long doors get more chips in parking lots when they open and are thus defective doors.

I don't mean to discourage you or to be unsympathetic (I wouldn't like this either) , but in my opinion you haven't a prayer legally with this argument and you should take the options much more likely to bring you some satisfaction--that is, an insurance claim. If say, a rock rolled down a hill and you hit it WHILE it was still rolling, insurance would pay for that damage.
  • Options
    Thanks Mr Shift for being so blunt with me, if I don't get a statifactory answer from Nissan affairs, I will proceed with the insurance and claim a rock hit me. Thanks for your frank assesment.
  • Options
    hey worth a shot...they might make a goodwill adjustment who knows? It's like complaining to the phone company--you pretty much know the answer but once in a while they surprise you.
  • Options
    Haven't people posted about putting some kind of screening behind the grill area? I'd like more info on that. Also, is the problem the upper area with the chrome grill, or below that where it is also wide open??

I would really like to have screening put back there, but I am not capable of removing grills or anything. Is there anyway to stick something protective? WOuld the service dept do this?
  • Options
    That's a thought, although the condenser is generally down low, so the puncture may have occured with an unlikely bounce off the road rather than a straight bullet through your grille. As you can see, proving any kind of design defect would require ballistics testing and statistical evidence than Muranos suffer this more than any other car.

It would be interesting to see the old condenser, where it was damaged (high or low) and the angle of attack. If it's a long wound, up and down vertically or a long diagonal, it's most assuredly a bounce.

I suppose if there is access, you could add some mesh behind the grille---if you can get it here at all. You could use a very light plastic mesh and some stick-um and see how that works.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Some owners have played with mesh stuff and aftermarket screens on their grills over in the Honda Odyssey Grille Insert discussion.
  • Options
    Also keep in mind, depending upon your personal situation, it might be wisest to do as our Host suggested, and try for a "goodwill" adjustment in the repair price, and pay for it yourself.

This might be better than submitting such a small claim to your insurance, and having the rate for it go up on renewal. ;)
  • Options
    baldwin3baldwin3 Member Posts: 121
    Some many posts back we discussed this item and how to fix it...AC grids are up front, in all cars, need air flow and are vulnerable to road rocks, nails and debris hitting them...then they leak. When I saw that post, I went to ACE hardware and got a three foot x 8 inch aluminum screen...which is made to put over gutters to block leaves and pine needles...it cost $6.00 and I cut the piece, into a long two segment section to fit in there...about 4 inches tall and 5 feet wide...I cut it with scissors and slipped it in through the grille slots, in front of the AC grid. A protective screen in front of the AC grid... No stickum, nothing...it sits there. No rattle. Not enough to deter airflow, but enough to stop a rock; probably a rock that will never, ever come. But who knows.
    As with the famous recall for the shooter nails from the front tires to the plastic fuel tank, it is a thousand to one chance, but can be blocked.
    And, check ANY other car...the AC grid is up front, exposed and wide open to a hit...as it has to be to work.
    Agree with HOST....not a defect, not a warranty item. Like a rock in the window...back luck, timing and Kharma....
    Try insurance...if you want to save money up front but be ready for a pop in premiums.
    Not defending Nissan, but hey, it's a road hazard thing. Good luck...JB
  • Options
    Yes.

Sometimes S--t Happens. :sick:
  • Options
    Just had a new post today in the Scion tC topic on a condenser puncture.
  • Options
    homeounerhomeouner Member Posts: 145
    From Homeouner. Re Stones hitting A C condenser. I installed 1/4" sq. hardware cloth (metal) behind the grill openings. See plate #71 post # 1409 for my details. Very easy.
  • Options
    sud_ksud_k Member Posts: 1
    Got 06 murano two months back, and had 2200 miles on it now. After initial 300 miles, getting strange problem. When driving below 40 speed, when pressing accelerator makes like vibrating, feels like there are lot of chains running underneath car. It feels like complete acceleator is vibrating, but I do not see steering wheel vibrating. And this happens only some times not always. If I increase speed above 40, it drives smooth. Whenever I drive on highway wiht 60-80 speed I feel car is smooth, for a while I do not see the problem after highway driving. If I do more local roads with 40 speed, I feel thhis problem. Unbale to explain this situation in techinical/mechanical terms. Took to dealer he drove few mins, and said everything is normal and he could not reproduce this problem.
    Its very irritating to drive with this problem, I had camry before and I know nissan is not that smooth but murano is stiff/firm ride thats ok, but this kind of rough drive is vert irritating after spending thousands for car. Can anyone explain me, is this problem that I have live with it. Can anyone suggest how to explain this to dealer or a solution. Thanks.
  • Options
    rjgcparjgcpa Member Posts: 11
    Have a similar problem. Both Master Tech and Service Manager test drove the car. They wrote on work order that at times there is a difference noted in the engine RPM and transmission revolution. They said they could not fix it because there is no Technical Service Bulletin on such a problem. They also said they would send the matter to Nissan Tech support. Reply from Nissan was that there was nothing wrong with this. :mad: Of course not, otherwise, since the car is still under warranty, it would cost them $$$.
  • Options
    Well, Homeouner, your experience disappoints me. They had/have a stainless steel right and left tank shield, and I had one put on my 05 Murano on July 28, 2006 at Central Valley Nissan in Modesto, CA. I know you have seen my posts on this hang-down plastic junk shield before, but for others in the same situation, check out my two posts:
    #1425 and especially #1427 in which I give the Nissan part number that was on the WARRANTY replacement service billing.
    It's a shame...in their haste to negotiate a deal with failing General Motors (which fell through), they have let some valued clients like us go unattended. In closing, the "reps" on the phone have almost ZERO knowledge of problems and solutions...this according to senior service people at my dealership...they come and go as fast as service writers. Yes, Nissan may have exhausted the nice metal protectors my parts guy found for me, but a big stink might make them ramp up and turn out some new ones. The plastic hang-down is a bad compromise. Look under any new Murano, and see how they have solved the problem...metal, form-fitting, and that is what we should demand. John B
  • Options
    silvermuranosilvermurano Member Posts: 15
    Ugly hang-down shield is in the garage beside the items for next trash pickup. New shiny metal shield is installed. Did it myself. Picked the parts up this morning at my local Nissan parts counter, arrived home at 8:50am, finished installation and all tools stored away by 9:25am. Easy as pie. I want to thank you for steering me to C.K at Central Valley Nissan. He sent a fax of the special order form to my Nissan parts man and it arrive in less than a week. The part is on restricted order. You can't order it without a special form. That's the big problem. My parts man could not order from Nissan with just a part number, the order was rejected. Once he had the special form there was no problem.

Thanks Again John

Please give Charles a big hand shake for me when you see him.

Larry (silvermurano)
  • Options
    That is a GREAT story..it shows persistence pays off, there are plain dealers and really good dealers with people who want to help, and yes, a metal shield does exist. Good going Larry. JOHN B
  • Options
    timbo4timbo4 Member Posts: 30
    After being locked out of my 2003 Murano more times than I can remember I did some research & found that Nissan has a service bulletin for this repair. Part cost is $135.00 & requires the removal of the inside door panel, enclosure panel, window & door handle assy. No special tools were required to do the repair & it took about 2 hours. Pretty straight forward fix with all connections being quick release type. Just thought I would pass the info along.
  • Options
    murano_ownermurano_owner Member Posts: 64
    Did you have to pay for this part? How much?
  • Options
    I had the ugly tank shield plow put in a few months ago due to the recall. Just this past weekend while driving down the wonderfully cluttered I-5 I ran over something, not sure what it was but then I started to hear a flapping noise that came from my undercarriage. Yep, the damn plow broke off.
    I went to Nissan yesterday and asked them to replace it with the new contoured shield. They told me they had no idea what I was talking about. I told them the part number that I got off of this site, A7285-CC25A or A7285-CC25B and they told me it was the same part as I had on. Then they got caught in the lie. They then told me they have to put the part number that Nissan told them to as part of the recall which was A7285-CC27A. I told them that this was a hazardous item to have on my car. They told me that I would have to call Nissan. I got furious. I yelled at them that YOU ARE NISSAN. They then said we are just a franchise. Then I yelled back. I BOUGHT MY CAR FROM YOU WHICH IS A NISSAN AND YOU ARE A NISSAN DEALER. This banter went back and forth on and on, and they kept saying that they have to use the ugly part the Nissan Corp told them to unless I contact Nissan Corp myself and have them say they will use the new part. Now my car has the same awfull plow on it. I love my Murano, I hate Nissan. Their customer service has been horrible. :mad:
  • Options
    silvermuranosilvermurano Member Posts: 15
    Yes, I had already gotten my recall taken care of with ugly hang-down shield, I had to pay. But the good thing is, it was only $19.75 and tax so $20.94. It was worth every penny. I installed it in able 30 minutes. The part is two pieces and 2 push pins. There are 3 holes in each piece, 1 for the push pin and 2 holes for screws. One of the screws holds the old plastic recall shield and the other is on a small plastic strip that hangs down behind the rear tires. Good luck, and don't give up. I understand that the inventory is 12,000, I can't understand why it is restricted and requires a special form to order. Part No. A7285-CC25A Protector.

silvermurano
  • Options
    Tidester I cant seem to find a way to E mail you a message. Can you give me instructions. Thanks
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Click on my name in the by-line of this message (or the hosts link at the top of this page). That will show my user profile containing my email address.

tidester, host
  • Options
    Well after a week of Nissan Consumer group blowing me off, I finally got an answer that they would not give me a good will credit. So I am stuck trying to get this AC radiator repaired. Apart from going to the dealer for a 750 repair do you know of any other way to repair this? Can they put a patch in the radiator? I know this sounds dumb, but I am not to car sauvey, so any advice would be great that could save me some dollars.

My lease expires in 08, this will be the last time I buy a Nissan, the whole company has been a rotten experience for me.
  • Options
    AC condensors could be repaired but you have to take them out and the repair may or may not hold, so it's a tough call. Why not go to an independent AC specialty shop and see what they say and let us all know back here?
  • Options
    nmurano04nmurano04 Member Posts: 1
    I do experience this surging issue too with my Nissan Murano . I called Nissan but they are not aware of this problem. May you kindly share me any solutions to if any if you find one. This issue is scary and dangerous. My wife almost came close an accident because of this and I myself witness this issue happening a couple of times.
  • Options
    Did the new contoured tank shield fit in the same holes as the plow shield? Was it easy to take the plow off?
  • Options
    I made an inquiry to Nissan Canada regarding the wrap around tank shield. I sent them an email along with the part number and was advised to call their toll free number which I did. After 45 minutes wait, I finally spoke to a lady and was told that those wrap around shields are only available in USA and the reason it's not available in Canada is due to winter climate here ( don't they think USA got winter too???) and the wrap around ones can corrode???? I was also advised to call Nissan USA to order that part if I want to.

To our Canadian friends, have you got any experience regarding this issue?

I sent another email to Nissan Canada if they can order in our behalf and I'm still awaiting for the response.
  • Options
    I looked at the shield at Victory Nissan and its the "Mud flap" kind, also Hall Nissan has only the Mud Flap. Neither dealer from the service manager to the parts counter has ever heard of the wrap around type.??? MO posters from California talk about the wraparound type. The serv. mngr. wont install any but the campaign type because of the liability involved. Any feed back?? Homeouner
  • Options
    Back up the thread a ways, one user posted all the necessary part numbers for it, and a dealer with contact there. ;)
  • Options
    Look at posts 1425, 1427 and 1584 for contour metal tank shields and their part numbers. At least two of us have pressed until we got them. And, our dealer says plenty still exist out there.Obviously, there is resistance from dealers who would rather you go away. Metal shields EXIST and fit snugly, look great and my dealer not only ordered it but put it on.
    Homeouner, you are getting the run-around and you should be upset. John B California
  • Options
    baldwin, are the ones you got made of aluminum, iron or some kind of alloy that won't corrode?
  • Options
    John's was aluminum, I believe he posted.
  • Options
    If that's the case, this people at Nissan Canada are full of SSSH...when they say that the reason we don't have it in Canada is due to our winter's colder temperature which can corrode the shield. That's their justification of having only the plastic hang down shield here ( if that is true at all ). WHO ARE WE GONNA TRUST????
  • Options
    Go back in this forum, and dig up the part number! They can't say it doesn't exist if there is a Nissan part number, can they :confuse:
  • Options
    Went out and hit it with hammer, tried to bend it with pliers, and came to conclusion that it is steel. Shiny, bright and steel..not galvanized. Almost like stainless... JB
  • Options
    ROFL!! :P

John, I just have the mental picture of you doing that, and the neighbors shaking their heads about the "Old Doc" finally loosing it! ;)