Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Well, the Base (invoice) on a ED is $25,600.00 And 1k to 1500 over is considered a good deal. US MSRP would be $34,220.00.

DL
  • Options
    bozo2bozo2 Member Posts: 1
    Im just wondering if BMW will take all the criticism on the E90 rear end design to heart and change something next year (2007)..My E90 arrives on the lot next week, and Im already panicking :confuse: ...Whatdduya think?!
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    No matter what by 2009 they will change the front and rear. shrug, that's life.
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    What criticism? The shape is great and very well liked. No matter what you do there will be some that like it, don't like and don't have an opinion. The saying "You can't please all of the people, all of the time" is appropriate. :shades:
  • Options
    adamwodadamwod Member Posts: 2
    Webby,
    What about Standard and Optional equipment, and Packages, are they the same as in US?

Thanks,
    Adam
  • Options
    webby1webby1 Member Posts: 209
    Adam,
    It appears that this brochure maybe a preliminary one ( approx 6 x 12 inches 15 pages ) since it does not list any of the packages. It provides Interior and Exterior colors, Equipment std features, technical data and Dimensions for 325i and 330i models only.
    Historically the Canadian version vs US is slightly different and the packages are also different.

Regards,
    Webby
  • Options
    planbplanb Member Posts: 16
    Thanks to all on this site for the great information. I just ordered my new 330i in NY, which has a build date in mid-May. I've driven bimmers before, but this is the first one that I'm getting on my own. Can't wait!

Spking Graphite w/ blk leather and burl trim
    Auto (owning stick in NYC too much hassle)
    Premium pkg
    Nav
    Sirius radio
    Fold down rear seats (and never liked heated seats enuf to get full cold pkg).

Don't believe the posts that say you can't negotiate on a new model. Armed with the US invoice price from this site, I was about to negotiate a $1,200 mark-up, though it wasn't easy.

Thoughts about the performance of an auto '06 330i vs. 325i? Thought hard about the 325i (same 3 ltr engine with healthy 215 hp), which seems to be the better value to lease due to 64% residual vs. 61% for 330i, but couldn't resist the 330i's higher 255 hp. Also prefer the 17" wheels ... didn't see the value in 325i sports pkg, which would have closed the gap on the price difference to 330i but gotten no more hp (I also wanted the better logic 7 sound system, which was a pricey option on 325i).

Thoughts about lease vs. buy?

To me, the leasing program on this car is not very good because of the 250 money factor, which brings monthly payment to $585. At that high factor (equivalent to 6% interest), I figure I should just buy the car with a competitively rated home equity loan (avg 5.5% which has the advantage of tax deductability). I figure that this new model 3 series should retain its value at or above the BMW ascribed 61% residual after three years. I can also get a good deal if I own a year or two longer (another reason to go with the blk leather to wear better).

Using the 61% residual offered by BMW in my own calculations (making the car worth a little less than $25,500K in three years), you could buy the car with a loan and pay back the interest and proportionate share of the principal on the app $16,250 depreciation cost at about $600 per mo. So why not buy? (I understand that a traditional car loan would adjust these numbers upward). I don't plan on putting much mileage on the car, but that will only keep the resale value up (whereas the leasing program presently offered by BMW really isn't that attractive even with only 10,000 miles per year).

Curious if others hold the same low opinion of the current lease program. Dealer says program may change in May or June, but I don't expect a big change.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,432
    Is your lease 3yr/30K?

I show the base rate as .00265

I agree... no over-riding financial reason to lease this car.. The residuals are good, but nothing over-the-top for a brand new model.... and the money factors are market-rate.

Get a good quote on financing from your local bank or credit union, and then let the dealer try to beat it.. I'm thinking you can get under 5% on a new car loan..

The payment is higher than a lease, but that is the way I would go..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    jayellesevenjayelleseven Member Posts: 150
    I see everyone here already talking about what they've ordered, colors, packages, etc. But I KNOW most of you HAVE NOT seen the car in person. It looks fabulous on the BMW website and in print. You all know things aren't always what they seem. So why not wait till the car is actually infront of you to buy and get all hyped about it. You see, I've been looking forward to this car since LAst summer, when I first knew the redesign was coming. I worked and worked ONLY for this car, nothing else (I am a full time and a half student in College) I know I'm young and do not have much money but this is affordable. I just DONT understand it, the car DOESN'T look so great in pictures where its actually being shown on the streets. (Where they don't showcase its glamour) I love BMW's and have never owned one but have always dreamed of it. It can be a reality but why are you all estatic, spending money so quickly? I guess its because some ppl have money to burn_
  • Options
    bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    planb: What do you mean you were ABOUT to negotiate a deal $1,200 over invoice on your '06 order? Did you or didn't you?
  • Options
    Bartalk, I did negotiate the deal last week. That's when I ordered the car. Just haven't made the final decision to lease or buy ... the dealer agreed to cap the price in either event. Have others been able to negotiate at that level? I see a lot of talk about ED but not much on domestic prices.

And yes, I was comparing a purchase to the 36 mo 10K miles, for which I believe the money factor is 260 (the 250 was a typo). Seems like a bad lease deal to me. (I agree that a car loan could meet 5%, but it still wouldn't be tax deductible like a home equity loan, which effectively lowers the rate into the 3% range, and also gives me much more flexibility to come up with my own payment schedule, though you do need the discipline to pay off the principle.) Thanks for the input.

Do you think that the 61% residual rate from BMW is the true market residual on the car? Or could the car be worth more than that after 3 years? I would probably keep the car long, since it is a new model, but I am curious. Obviously, the car would depreciate at a much lower rate after the first few years.
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Maybe some people have all of the information they need to order the vehicle. I would have no problem ordering the car sight unseen. Part of it IMO is the press this vehicle has received. Not one negative word about it. Read Edmunds review.

GIMME, GIMME, GIMME. :shades:
  • Options
    (jay ... I saw the car in graphite at the NYC car show ... so not sight unseen, though I haven't driven the car)
  • Options
    branco327branco327 Member Posts: 24
    are there any pictures out yet of the '07 coupes?

the 2004 E46 coupe with the redisigned front 'eyes' is for me one of BMW's nicest looking cars ever made (especially with the M package and 18 inch wheels)-the lines on this car will be hard to improve on .
  • Options
    bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    Finance Rates:

My credit union is offering a 4.25% on 60 month new vehicle loans. So i have to imagine there are others out there that are as or more competitive than this.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    oceanblue1oceanblue1 Member Posts: 3
    Any thoughts on the all wheel drive system offered by BMW? I am not sure, but I thought there will be a newly designed system for the early Winter release with the new 325/330xi. I do not know much about the sytem, how does it compare to the "quattro" system on Audi's?
  • Options
    Well after getting a few passes for the Dallas Auto show I drove the 30 miles over this afternoon.Unfortunatlly the only E90 was a red(cough) 330i. At least I got some nice pic's of a Quattroporte , Austin Martin, Murcielago ect...

I have to say I was appalled at the folks that let their little monsters climb and thrash all over 80k-90k vehicles. Talk about disrespect. This is the 1st show Ive attended that Porsche even unlocked doors, now I know why. Maybe I can get 20k off one of those "slightly" used Carrera' s.

DL
  • Options
    I would never bet on a car selling for it's residual amount after three years.. And you certainly wouldn't be able to get that much in ACV on a trade-in. I'm sure it happens on occasion, but it isn't likely.

Captive finance companies have an incentive to keep the residual as high as possible, to facilitate sales.. Yes, they also have an incentive to keep the residuals close to actual value also, but it is a guessing game, and guessing too low could kill current sales.

If you feel certain you'll want to trade in three years, then there is nothing wrong with leasing, but this isn't a case where it makes more financial sense to lease, than buy.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thanks kyfdx. I am not certain that I'd trade in the car after 3yrs, and, in fact, if I buy the car, I likely will keep it longer. I agree that the lease on this car doesn't really make sense.
  • Options
    merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
  • Options
    kkimkkim Member Posts: 2
    I just checked the prices on run flat tire on 2006 bmw 325i performance package
    and they are ridiculous!!! cost over 300 per tire on rear and over 200 per tire on front...
  • Options
    giovanni1giovanni1 Member Posts: 106
    Not sure if anyone has noticed or not but CarsDirect.com now has pricing on the new 3er that is about 1k under msrp and this is carsdircet pricing not a target price. I loaded a 3er up with

SMG
    Sport
    Premium
    Sirius
    Nav
    Keyless access
    PDC

MSRP 45220
    CD prce: 44087
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    There is no generic "Carsdirect price."
    It varies by city.
  • Options
    Of course, but here in the east bay, CA that is the pricing. The point being, without even going to a dealer to negotiate a price, the car (at least here in the east bay) is being discounted and those that think you can only get the new 3er at msrp are mislead.
  • Options
    planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    Most of us knew about the redesign a few years ago, due to the timeline. I saw the first pics around August, & ordered in February. My basis for ordering the car without driving it, was that I have had a really good 10-year ownership experience. I saw the car in person last week, & am very glad about my decision. All the research indicates that this will be yet another great BMW. I was just as attracted to the E90, as I was to the light blue 1973 2002 on display. They are all beautiful cars in their own right. I think it's great that you are working towards buying this. For the money, this is the best deal. The car will be out at the dealers around May 7th. Go take a look, & you will see why we're so excited.
  • Options
    paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    I work for a company that displays its vehicles at auto shows and you really need to be on top of your game to make sure there's something left by the end of the show!

People will steal anything that isn't bolted down. Common items are any climate control knobs, small plastic interior panels, gas caps, gear shift knobs, etc.

Why the heck they want those things is beyond me but it's really kind of crazy what they'll take.

And yes, the cars are sold after the show once the parts are replaced.
  • Options
    gman330gman330 Member Posts: 5
    Hello Fellas,
    I have always been interested in the comments and advice given on the forum. I am writing for the first time.I previously owned a 323i and loved the car. I ordered my new "baby" in early April '05 and anxiously await the delivery in late May-earlyJune. Can anyone agree with my delivery time? I read that some guys ordered March and ED is in late June/July ---.

330i, SP, PP, CW, Auto, T/Silver, Black leather, PDC was my order. :) Dealer gave me $42600 total with options, MSRP $43895.
  • Options
    grahammangrahamman Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone know the exact release date of the new 330i?
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I don't remember the actual date, however, it's in the first week of May.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    It is either May 6th or 7th.. I'm pretty sure it is the 6th, since that is a Friday..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Here are some picture of the e90 touring.

I love the styling!!!

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050418.007/bmw/1.html
  • Options
    The touring is nice to see.

Does anyone know if the US version e90 330i will have the clear lens in front? Some pictures show clear some shows amber. I like the clear lens more.

Thanks,
    gman
  • Options
    I meant to tell you I thought of you at the Dallas Auto show looking at the Silver Grey 530XiT . It had loads of room, and the styling to me is close enough to E90 to get an idea. Staying on topic, Im still irked theres no Silver Grey or Titanium Grey in the E90, I really like both on the 5er.

DL
  • Options
    buulubuulu Member Posts: 13
    I keep going back and forth on these E90 configs and would like to know others take on this.

1) 325i ZPP+ZSP
    2) 330i no options

If your budget cap limited you these configs. which would you get?
  • Options
    jayellesevenjayelleseven Member Posts: 150
    Yeah I knew a re-design was coming and I too saw the first pics in Aug. I was absolutely ecstatic about this car because it looked so great. I jus wanna see it in person! I know I'll like it but enough to spend 35K on it?? Not sure but I do want it, I love BMW's. I dunno, maybe all the work and school work are getting to me, I've overloaded myself with both jus 2 get the car ASAP when it comes out! I will one of the first 2 check it out at dealerships, and yeah I think it is the BEST deal for the money, plus Im a young buck, Imma be crusin real smooth with a Beemer. Thanks for your reply fellas, and thanks planoml_
  • Options
    bigpapalukebigpapaluke Member Posts: 108
    My dealer in Charlotte told me the retail date is May 2nd, with launch cars coming near the end of April to test drive. It may vary by state or dealer, but that's the info I have.

Luke
  • Options
    I agree with other posts regarding the first cars being available around the 7th of May. So, your delivery time of late May/early June is very realistic.
  • Options
    At the end of the day, you are the only one that can say if this is a sound decision. That being said, have you looked at the European delivery program. It is a great program through which you can save some money & get a trip to Europe. I would suggest that you read up about it on the other post. Best of luck.
  • Options
    I also saw the 530xit at the Canadian Auto Show in Toronto! It looked practical in terms of interior space.

My hope is that there will be a 330 version of the touring!
  • Options
    I would go with the 330i @ $38,920, not the 325i @ $35,970.
    The standard equipment on the 330 exceeds the 325 and ohhh the 255 horses...
    vroom.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249

1) 325i ZPP+ZSP
    2) 330i no options

If your budget cap limited you these configs. which would you get?

330i. The 330i has the better engine, more features and is just more fun than a 325i. Of course, if you can make it to 32k for a 330i, why not just spend the extra 1600 for the sp on it? Do an ED and get the car you really want.
  • Options
    I agree 330i and the extra 1600 won't affect your payments much.
  • Options
    0audilicious00audilicious0 Member Posts: 47
    Does anyone know when the Touring will be available in the US? Actually, I'd love to be able to do ED in late September... will that make it easier to get a car?
  • Options
    Production starts in Sept ,So Oct-Nov being the ealiest delivery i would assume.

DL
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    The 325 has a higher residual percentage, so it would be cheaper to lease even if the MSRP was the same as a 330 will far fewer options.
    You should drive both instead of making a decision before even driving either.
  • Options
    "Production starts in Sept ,So Oct-Nov being the ealiest delivery i would assume. "

DL,

do you know if Sept production would include the x drive versions?

Thanks
    dewey
  • Options
    bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    I know a hand full of people on this board have ordered there 330i's. I am curious to find out if someone has negotiated a fair deal.

What is a fair deal? Well my 330i outfitted with Step/ Premium / Sport / and CWP comes out to 43,545 msrp and 39,915 invoice. Fair to me would be to split the difference with the dealership and pay 1,800 over invoice plus fees and taxes.

Has anyone negotiated 1,800 off msrp or roughly the same % discount with there specific options?

Thanks

p.s. we are getting very close
  • Options
    wildcatjonwildcatjon Member Posts: 13
    For any RWD bimmer owners, I'm struggling with getting the 330i with all seasons or waiting until the fall for the 330xi. I really don't want the sport pkg or to swap out for winter tires, so want to know from those who have to drive their RWD cars non-snow tires 10-15 days a year how a bimmer so equipped will handle. Thx.
  • Options
    From everything Ive heard,thats the only choice, The non X supposed to be Spring 2006. Unfortunatly , every word is no 330 only, 325. That is for US, unknown if ull get something different. Since Ive not driven the 215hp model only word of mouth and on paper the 325 is a major bump over the 184model. Hopefully enough for you.

DL
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I drove my E46 with standard all-season rubber through the better part of four winters, and when it starts getting slippery out there, the car was, ummmm, nervous to say the least. Having said that, I lived and worked in an area where it was quite hilly, and that was where it was at its worst. Case in point, one day during a heavy snow storm, I was tooling along down my street, and when I say 'down', I mean down hill. My street was fairly straight for the first half of a mile, and then became very windy for the last half of a mile as the road traversed a small palisade. I habitually used a lower gear on that hill so that I wouldn't be riding the brakes all of the way down. On this particular day, I was rounding a left hand bend at no more than 25 mph when the back end came around, and if it hadn't been for the curb, which my car bounced off of, I would have sideswiped a large ugly looking mailbox.

What did I learn from that experience? 1) Don't use a low gear to slow down or control your speed while descending on a curve in slippery conditions. 2) All-Season tires stink even worse that I thought. 3) Order the SP for my next BMW so that I won't have any excuse not to also get a set of snow tires (among other more enjoyable reasons).

I am happy to report that I have been able to execute items number 1 & 3, and I still think item number 2 is correct.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
This discussion has been closed.