Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• Options
    branco327branco327 Member Posts: 24
    Thanks. Yes, it's silver grey which I understand is not available on these E90s but may be back for the new M3 and M5 only.
  • Options
    planbplanb Member Posts: 16
    Just picked up my new 330 yesterday. Fantastic car. And the spling graphite with black interior is a sharp combo.

There have been enough posts on the test drives, so I won't bore you all with my thoughts, other than to say that the 6 speed makes a big difference. It's much quicker and gives you a ton more control.

For those with an ipod, no need to customize the car. You can't get a special ipod port if you get satellite radio or nav (and I got both) but no worries because the aux input is cleverly put in the center arm rest, which tucks the ipod away with its own cig lighter power jack. Very nifty.

Here's my other revalation ... I love the idrive. Once you learn to use it, it is a handy way to navigate through the customized presets for the radio, nav, etc. The idrive knob takes a little time to figure out, but if you have any facility with computers and mouses, you should pick it up fairly quickly. I actually like having the control comfortable by your side instead of reaching to the dash to change things up.

The navigation system is also very good. Not sure what the complaints were by others, but I found it user friendly and graphically clear.
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Yeah im still irked about that. If it was never offered fine. But take away one of the most popular colors. I head someone on another thread ordered Steel blue as individual ,$2200.00 extra OUCH!
  • Options
    jeffhoujeffhou Member Posts: 23
    I have been on three test drives in different 330i's, both Sport and non-Sport models - both having Premium Package and am really finding anything good about the handling, when comparing it to my 2003 330i (non-sport). I was hoping that the new 330 would really jump out and grab me, but I've never felt so far from having a good road feel in any car I've ever driven. I owned a 1982 320i and it was by far the best car I've ever owned. My current 2003 model is good, but these new ones are really sad. The saleman asked me if I could tell that they "heavied" up the steering at higher speeds so you'd feel more of the road. Well, it's heavier than 2003, but still no road feel - just heavy. Does anyone agree with me or am I missing something. I believe BMW should go back to pure manual steering and do away with all of this fancy, unreponsive steering!!!

Look forward to any comments. Have I just been getting lemons for my test drives? Three of them from two different dealers? I doubt it!!

For now, I'm keeping the 2003 for a long long time!
  • Options
    jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    "Here's my other revelation ... I love the idrive"

Welcome to the club. Users know better! :D
    Congratulations for your car. It looks like wonderful.

Regards,
    José
  • Options
    peakpropeakpro Member Posts: 65
    During my test drive i felt the same. There is less connection with the road and driver.

I have read other posts and reviews were there were complaints about too many gadgats taking some of the fun out of the drive.
  • Options
    bimmer4me3bimmer4me3 Member Posts: 19
    I agree there is less connection with the road. IMO, the steering is less direct and the engine noise is much quieter from the e46. I like having lots of gadgets on the car, but in terms of one-with-the-road-feel, the e90 is a little less than the e46, IMO. Disappointing, but the e90 is still a very good car.
  • Options
    skiloverskilover Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2002 330 w. sport pkg, and have driven both the new 325 and 330 without sport pkg, and find that while you may get a bit less "road feel", the car in fact handles BETTER. It is remarkably quick at lower speeds around potholes and such (very desireable feature in Chicago). Very poised, little roll, beautifuly handling, and good feel in this situation. On the freeway, I admit it has a little less feel to it, but the new engine/tranny combination makes up for it, with higher revs, more responsive shifting (with smaller gaps, of course). Ride was a bit softer than my 2002, but it didn't have the sport package, I haven't found one like that to drive yet. The 325 engine is much quieter than the old 325, logical, since it really is the same base engine now as the 330.

Has anyone tried the new e90 with manual 6-speed? I am trying to decide if it will be too hard to deal with in a city like Chicago, but really would prefer this car with a manual. Is the clutch heavy, or relatively light? I hear the shifter is more responsive than on the e46, but I haven't found an e90 manual to try. Anyone think the car will be harder to re-sell with a manual, located in or near a majour city?
  • Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I feel the same. Test drove one a week ago. 330i with automatic, premium package, no sport.. Didn't like the way it shifted. Not smooth at all. Very grabby brakes. Quite un-BMW-like. Expected to be wowed but came away disappointed. Drove an X5 4.4 right after that. Night and day. Truck handled great and had a fabuolus interior.
  • Options
    skiloverskilover Member Posts: 2
    Regarding the sport package seats, I now lease a 2002 330 w. sport package, and absolutely LOVE the seats, but have not yet located a e90 w. sport package to try, as my lease is about up. Unless they have significantly changed the seats, they are extremely comfortable and supportive, I think the extended thigh support is terrific. I'm a bit bigger than you, 5'10", 210, though most of that is muscle, I fit into those seats very nicely. I think the back support is a very strong feature, and as you get older, you will find that the support on your lower back is crucial for extended driving comfort. I've driven mine for hours on end, and am prone to back problems, with no issues at all. Plus, as you fly around curves, as the car is prone to do (all by itself with no help or encouragement from me, lol), the sport seats keep you in place, which reduces the stress on your back as well.

Where are the seats really bothering you?
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Anyone think the car will be harder to re-sell with a manual, located in or near a majour city?"

Interesting question. I live in Southern New Hampshire, which is just outside of Boston (about the same distance from Chicago as say Naperville (where I used to live)). I just turned in my Sapphire Black/Black leather 2002 530i 5-Speed, PP, SP, Premium Audio and Xenons at lease end. When the leasing manager saw my car his first comment was, "Oh yeah! We're keeping that one."

"Why?" I asked, surprised that he would want a manual 5-Series on his used car lot.

"Mr. Shipo, do you have any idea how hard it is to find a used 5-Series with a manual transmission that has the Sport Package and your other options?"

"No."

"Well, not only are they very rare, but they are in high demand, especially this time of year."

I didn't ask what the time of year had to do with it, but sure enough, two days later my car showed up on the BMW-USA web site as a CPO, listed at a whopping $36,995! To put that into perspective, that's almost $3,000 more that the TMV calculator here at Edmunds says a CPO car should go for. "Yeah, but what did they get for it?" You might ask. Well, it sold within two weeks from when it was posted, so they must have gotten pretty close to their asking price. So much for used cars with manual transmissions being difficult to sell.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    jeffhoujeffhou Member Posts: 23
    The seats in the sports package now have "side bolster supports" that are adjustable. I did not know they were adjustable when I drove it the first and second times and my salesman didn't know about them or didn't remember to tell me about them. With the adjustment, you can really tighten the seat up around you (snugger than the older sports seats - like in 2002) or relax them to almost the feel of a premium package.

Anyhow - all is okay with the seats. But the handling of the care is still awful..so the seats aren't worth worrying about IMO.
  • Options
    jb65jb65 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have insight into when the convertible version will be available?
  • Options
    waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    Shipo - have read your posts in various forums throughout the past year or so... curious as to what replaced your 2002 530i??
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    No--that was my main issue with the test drive. Objectively, the car is fantastic and a good deal, but the road feel really seemed to be dialed out.

Silkover--perillo BMW has a demo 2006 manual 330i sport. That's the one i drove.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    My current 2003 model is good, but these new ones are really sad. The saleman asked me if I could tell that they "heavied" up the steering at higher speeds so you'd feel more of the road. Well, it's heavier than 2003, but still no road feel - just heavy. Does anyone agree with me or am I missing something. I believe BMW should go back to pure manual steering and do away with all of this fancy, unreponsive steering!!!

Look forward to any comments. Have I just been getting lemons for my test drives? Three of them from two different dealers? I doubt it!!

FWIW, I loved the handling and ride, road feel and power of the e90's compared to my 330i Performance Package. I felt the e90 was far more agile, held the road better and had exceptional engine response that flat out obliterates my car.
  • Options
    I haven't..., yet.

Mrs. Shipo and I are planning on taking the kids to Germany next April, and while there, the plan is to pick up a new ED 330i, 6-Speed Manual, PP, SP, Satellite Radio, Comfort Access, and probably NAV.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    grahammangrahamman Member Posts: 10
    With the regular ipod port, can you control your ipod (songs etc.) through your hand controls on your steering wheel? I just ordered a 330i with nav and satellite radio as well and I am a little bummed that you can't get that ipod port. I imagine that with the regular aux input only allow you to plug in the device, but it doesn't show your ipod info on your radio. Am I correct on this matter? If so, I guess I will have to make do with that feature. Boohoo, I can cry myself a river. Yeah right, I don't think I will shed a tear if I am right, but I was looking forward to that feature. -BG-
  • Options
    The whole "bmw your ipod" hookup puts the ipod in your glove box and allows you to control playlists and track lists from the steering wheel. (I don't know if it actually shows your songs on the car rdio screen). But yes, you can't do it with the nav or the sattelite, though, as it conflicts.

Still, the new 330 has an arm rest up front has an audio input and a lighter jack for power. You can then go to the apple store and get a remote control for the ipod that uses radio (not infrared signals). Look for a brand called Griffin ... it has a tiny remote that can talk to the ipod through the center console and has a velcro strap that you can put on the wheel. So at the end of the day, you get the same result as the glove box option (assuming that you can't get the names on the screen that way)
  • Options
    I have not spent the $ for an ipod as i undersand it wil not be controlled or tracks displayed on the radio. Whats the point of the jack then? other then going though the speakers.

DL
  • Options
    bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    take your air sickness bag with you while viewing the new 3.

Please dont be too offended, just one mans opinion but the last body style was so attractive that the new one has big big shoes to fill. The whole body style seems to lake cohesiveness to me. It looks like different cars from different angles.

And I am a early adopter. Most of my cars have been leading edge cars when they were released. Most of the competition is more attractive with the exterior of the Audi, Mercedes, Infiniti, Acura TL, the upcoming new Lexus for 2006, and others are far more attractive.

But you have the BMW driving dynamics and the great full service warranty. The only problem is you have to look at it in your garage.
  • Options
    webby1webby1 Member Posts: 209
    Shipo...did a quick search on the Auto Tader in Toronto area....26...2002...530i for sale.
    Six with manual ( 5 with sport package ).
    According to my BMW contact ( at least in Ontario ) Automatic outselling Manual
    10 to 1....new cars.
    However when selling used they are almost 50/50
    Regards,
    Webby
  • Options
    It's just to save the inconvenience of lugging a ton of cds around ... not great to move around track to track but good to put albums and playlists on ,etc. (I already have an ipod so I didn't spend the cash just for the car)
  • Options
    gatorlawgatorlaw Member Posts: 1
    i recently purchased a 2002 bmw 330i. It is being repaired but i have noticed that the car has a phone option. i wanted to know if the car has bluetooth or a different type of feature. There is no car phoen in the car and it appears that bluetooth was installed by bmw. Is that possible or does the car have something else which is unlike bluetooth???
  • Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Yup. On seeing the new 3 series an air sickness bag would have helped. What have they done to my car? :cry:
  • Options
    treepushertreepusher Member Posts: 16
    So...does that mean people don't like the manual, and are more likely to get rid of it?
  • Options
    You can interpret it that way....I am not sure.....just an observation.
    It appears that majority ( according to numbers in Ontario ) are driving auto and there is a lot of manual resale's in all models.

Regards,
    Webby
  • Options
    Hmmm, I kind of look at it the other way around. When I got my 1999 328i, I thought the design looked fresh and exciting. Now I think that the E46 looks a bit long in the tooth, and the E90 looks fresh and exciting. Go figure. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    shnershner Member Posts: 21
    I have been doing a lot of reading on these boards over the last week, I have learnt a lot from you all thanks,

I am a young guy I have my own business & I am looking to purchase/lease my first car a 2006 325i, The problem is however that my credit is not good enough to get a lease, (around 670 i believe)

So I considered buying one outright, but there are 2 problems with that,

1: I prefer not to take such a large chunk of cash out of my business as it would affect my turnover, buying power etc.

2: I would like to upgrade after 2 years and i believe that buying is more expensive then leasing if i just wanted the car for 2 years before moving up into a nicer car,

So I am now back to leasing, What can I do to make it happen?

1: Get someone with good credit to co-sign the lease with me? or

2: Get someone else to lease and insure the car on their name and add me as a named driver on the insurance? (If that is legal / possible?)

3: Just buy the car & sell it after 2 years?

If these questions have been addressed previously in other threads please forgive me for presenting them to you once again for assistance.

2006 325i
    Titan Silver
    Aluminium Trim
    Auto
    Cold Weather
    Xenon
    Park Distance Control
    Debating Nav - Currently No Nav
  • Options
    Hmmm, I just checked my local dealer and found that for the 3-Series, seven of their fifteen CPOs are manual equipped, which shouldn't be too surprising. On the other hand, only one out of ten 5-Series cars are listed with a manual transmission. Hmmm, only ten percent, maybe that's why 530i 5-Speed fetched such a high price.

To take it further, I just checked the four different BMW dealerships within ten miles of my old house in NJ (I got my 328i from one and my 530i from a second of the four), and found twelve out of sixty-six (18%) 3-Series cars and three out of thirty-one (9.7%) 5-Series cars equipped with a third pedal.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    I agree, E90 definitely breathes a breath of fresh air in the 3-series lineup. E46 has been around for far too long, I was beginning to get tired of it ...
    E46 when it came in new was good-looking from the front, but it's rear was far from impressive and in fact, I prefer the E90's rear to the E46's. IMO E36 was the best looking 3-series, all the more when considering that it was introduced in 91-92 - it looked great from every angle. Oh well, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder ...
  • Options
    treepushertreepusher Member Posts: 16
    Not to put you off a shiny new E90, but perhaps you might consider leasing something a little less expensive, at least until you're more established? Better to have lower payments to help the credit score for your next upgrade, rather than over-extend yourself this time around, right?

Regards,
    Treepusher
  • Options
    shnershner Member Posts: 21
    I do not have a problem affording the lease, My only problem is the credit score and the diffeculty getting the lease, & i preffer lease over purchase because of overall cost & i would preffer to keep the cash in my business for turnover
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    I checked out what a dealership had as far as E90s go after work on Saturday. I love the way the SP looks on the 330i (but I've loved the way EVERY SP equipped 3er has looked since they began offering it on the E36 325i back in '95). The Monaco Blue color seemed pretty dull to me (in a very recently renovated dealership with lots of natural light). Somebody was test driving a Saphire Black E90 that I though looked fabulous. There was an Electric Red 330i on the showroom floor that was an absolute knockout. WOW, it was striking. I might consider Red over Saphire Black when I (hopefully) do ED next summer.

For those of you who have never owned a red car, it never really looks bad unless there is tons of salt and dirt on the car, but when it is clean, Red shines brilliantly.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    hrchrc Member Posts: 11
    on my 330i. Question is did I make a mistake in color? I originally wanted Sparking Graphite Metallic but when we saw the color in person, it was a great deal darker than the brochure pictures(which made the car look more gray). I don't mind it at all, but Mrs. HRC was put off by it and wanted the Artic Metallic, which I ordered. I want a metallic color, no white or red. I think the silver is a little boring. Mistake? (I'm just talking about color, I know I did the right thing by listening to the wife!)

My new 330i is as follows; 6 speed manual, Artic Metallic, Black Leather, Power Rear Sunshade, Titanium Trim and Sport Package. Should be here sometime at the end of July or first week of August. I'm excited!

Danny
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi shner - you should take a look at the list of discussions on our Smart Shopper board. There are leasing and shopping discussions that I think you'll find very helpful. Also take a look at this page: http://www.edmunds.com/advice/?tid=edmunds.g.home.header..4.*. There are links to lots of good information.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Okay gang, based upon a thread over in the E46 discussion, I've just read the "Automatic climate control" sections of the 2004 and 2005 E46 manuals as well as the 2006 E90 manual. The specific thread is questioning the effect of the "Snowflake" button, which based upon the aforementioned manuals, can possibly have two different functions, depending upon the model year of the car.

- In the 2004 version there seems to be no doubt, if you want the A/C compressor to engage, the "Snowflake" button must be lit. Plain and simple, and IMHO, as GOD intended it to be. ;-)

- In the 2005 manual, it seems to indicate that if you want the compressor to engage, you can either force it on by depressing the "Snowflake" button so that it is lit, OR rely on the "Auto" mode to use the compressor as necessary.

- In the 2006 manual, depending upon how you read it, the functionality could go either way.

So, my question to you lucky individuals who already have the keys to your E90 in hand (and live where the A/C is already necessary, unlike here in New England where we are have a very March-like May, as in a high of 49 degrees today, and rain, lots of it), is as follows:

On a hot day, with the "Auto" program enabled (button lit), and the "Snowflake" button disabled (button unlit), will the climate control system in your car keep you cool?

My guess and hope is that it won't.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    wstevecwstevec Member Posts: 126
    SAME HERE: I had originally ordered the Sparking Graphite Metallic, but was floored when I saw how dark it was in person. The brochure almost make it look like the 2005 Silver Gray. As a result, I changed my order to Arctic Metallic which appears more like a light gray in person. I guess I learned to always check the colors out in person and not by the brochures. Good Luck.
  • Options
    "...unlike here in New England where we are have a very March-like May, as in a high of 49 degrees today, and rain, lots of it..."

I just checked, and the national weather service is now saying that our high for today is going to be 47, we'll have to wait until tomorrow for that balmy 49 degree high. :-/

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Well I am among the minority in Ontario who drives a manual 99 323. After almost 7 years of driving it I have no intention upon selling it soon. Well at least not until the diesel Bimmers are available here. :D

No offense to the majority, but I honestly cannot understand how anyone can drive a BMW without a third pedal.( unless a person has leg/back problems)

Drove several automatic BMWs and it was like I was on snooze mode. In other words why waste your money on a BMW if you are not willing to do some leg work!

Get a Toyota/Lexus with a slushbox instead.
  • Options
    "No offense to the majority, but I honestly cannot understand how anyone can drive a BMW without a third pedal.( unless a person has leg/back problems)"

Interesting timing, check out these two messages posted just a half of an hour before your last post: ;-)

davem2001, "The Future Of The Manual Transmission" #183, 24 May 2005 9:32 am
    shipo, "The Future Of The Manual Transmission" #184, 24 May 2005 9:42 am

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    beamingbeaming Member Posts: 40
    This may be getting to you too late, but maybe not. I just ordered a black sapphire metallic 5 series with "auburn" (probably the same as "terra") dakota leather and I think it's an awesome combo. I like the two tone affect which is only found with this color leather. The dash console and back of the front seats are black while only the seats and a part of the door are the auburn color. It's really sharp!
  • Options
    The only time I regretted that my car is manual was when I fractured my spine toboganning with my kids.

Fortunately both my spine and my anti-slushbox views have recuperated. I knew I was healthy again when I began hissing at the sight of automatic Porsches.
  • Options
    "Fortunately both my spine and my anti-slushbox views have recuperated. I knew I was healthy again when I began hissing at the sight of automatic Porsches."

I'm afraid that even in my post surgical drug induced haze, I would still have been scandalized by the thought of a Porsche or a Ferrari with a slushbox. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    I wish it was so easy for me ... living in NYC would be a nightmare with manual. If I didn't live amongst so many lights and stop and go traffic, I surely would have opted for the car in manual.
  • Options
    "Drove several automatic BMWs and it was like I was on snooze mode. In other words why waste your money on a BMW if you are not willing to do some leg work! "

Dewey....not sure how old you are but I am sure you are much younger then me.....I have been driving a stick for over 30 yrs which included 6 motorcycles.
    Have not own a car with manual in 15yrs and do not miss it.
    It comes a time when you get tired of 3rd pedal for number of reasons....safety, auto is almost as fast, smother, less effort in traffic to name a few....we all look for different features and the 3rd pedal is definitely not for me anymore and obviously not for the majority.
    Occasionally I will drive my friends Porsche Boxster std and get it out of my system very quick.

Best Regards,
    Webby
  • Options
    wish it was so easy for me ... living in NYC

I know I almost missed my flight due to NYC traffic!

Dewey....not sure how old you are but I am sure you are much younger then me

I am no spring chicken, I am 42 and have driven solely manuals for two decades and hope to drive manuals for a few more decades(if they do exist in the future)
  • Options
    So, my question to you lucky individuals who already have the keys to your E90 in hand (and live where the A/C is already necessary, unlike here in New England where we are have a very March-like May, as in a high of 49 degrees today, and rain, lots of it), is as follows:

Well... having chosen a Black interior for the 1st time, we had 2 record days of 99F :sick: , But back to your question , All Ive done so far is push the round max button in, which gets you full fan and 60f...

Im guessing your wanting auto fan but no cool air? Im not sure its possible. Get with me in say umm October and ill check that out. If it were 49 here id open the moonroof and turn on the hot seats.

Regards,
    DL
  • Options
    Hmmm, well I'm 48, and even though I'm gimping around on two legs that have been previously broken, I'm a card carrying "Stick Shift for Life" member.

I've lived in nothing but major metropolitan areas my whole stick-shifting life (San Diego, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Detroit, San Francisco, Chicago, Dallas (ever so briefly), New York, and now Boston), and the only car/city combination that I never want to do again is a 1970 Dodge Challenger with a 3,500 pound Borg & Beck Clutch as my "daily driver" while living in Los Angeles. I remember my left toes turning different colors from that combination. :-/

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Well, it looks like the weather service was wrong again, so far at least, our "High" today has been a balmy 44 degrees, and coupled with a 17 mph wind and a steady rain, it is positively raw outside. I ain't openin' the moonroof fer love ner money ta day. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
This discussion has been closed.