Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Message sent this afternoon.
  • Options
    Jeff, you're NOT by any chance agreeing with me that Lexus is wrong on the 3.478:1 final drive ratio?

That would be just TOO much, and 'way too soon.
  • Options
    jpiatchekjpiatchek Member Posts: 177
    Scotty to Kirk-Captain, I'm giving the Murano all the power we got and she's breakin up. No way to catch the dark side of the FX!
  • Options
    eegeeeegee Member Posts: 1
    Just got delivery of an RX330 and have same headlight problem - complete darkness over a very "low horizon" that others have described.

However, I can't find posts saying how any of these previous complaints were resolved. Or weren't they ?

Does anyone have any information?

Thanks
  • Options
    dalawdalaw Member Posts: 37
    It is common for HID projector headlights to have a sharp upper cutoff line, I think thats is due to the shape of the convex lens. My friend has a Mitsubishi Evo with HID projector that makes the area in front of the car really bright but really dark further down the road. Try turning on your RX330's factory foglights, it might reduce your headlights problem.
  • Options
    Useless, worthless or worse.
  • Options
    cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    Once again Kirk is asking the impossible. Just proves my theory that engineers are smarter than management! :-)
  • Options
    Does anybody else have the same moonroof problem described in the latest Edmunds Test Drive Review of the RX330?

Ours works great. With one touch, it closes shut with no additional effort required. I can't imagine Lexus customers putting up with the problem described in that test car!
  • Options
    jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    True, there's two moonroof control buttons/toggles vs. one toggle on the older RX300. Tech overkill perhaps, but hardly confusing.

I don't get the review's criticism either but perhaps it's a case of finding something, anything, to complain about.

The other knock - nearly a $50k vehicle if one orders all the goodies - while factual, it certainly wasn't the case in our procurement where we got a better vehicle, with 10-12 new features beyond the '01 RX300 it replaced - at the same price 3 years later.

One needs to lower expectations - while our canines were at first disappointed at the lack of the Rear DVD Entertainment System for Lassie & Rin Tin Tin movie festivals, they'll just have to learn to deal with it.

Also enjoyed the review's brief comparison to the FXs - I didn't realize there is 23% less cargo capacity in the FX! Already knew about the FX's lower-quality interior materials, fit & finish, etc.

For our needs (5/10ths - 7/10ths driving), the RX330 has the perfect suspension and handling luxury approach along with plenty of power for the vehicle's intended role. So far, we're getting good mpg considering it's not fully broken in - averaging 19 mpg in 50% mixed driving with about 1000 miles on the odometer. Look forward to better mileage with Mobil One syn.

Unlike the great stylin' on the G35 sedan & coupe, the FX looks like a giant squashed roach on those 20" rims. My non-soccer-mom wife took one look at the FX's lack of cargo space, need to buy the jarring "sport" suspension package to get Nav, and the exterior styling and said "not on my approved list!"

Too bad because I understand it's a lot of fun to race it up and down freeway ramps at 3am - about the only time where we live there's no traffic surrounding you.

But I digress.
  • Options
    avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Just curious what you do with the car the other 3/10ths to 5/10ths if you aren't driving it?
  • Options
    Assuming that's a real question (although a funny comment as well!)...

That's a term used by car magazine writers to describe one's driving skill.

10/10ths is reserved for pure out & out, aggressive, pedal-to-the-floor, cuttin apexs for turns, etc. driving. Like the FX owners pretend to do to justify their selection.

1/10th is stuck in a traffic jam hardly moving.

5/10ths is middle of the pack. If you have animals or kids in the vehicle, hard to understand why one would want to drive more aggressively than this level.
  • Options
    avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Thanks. It was a real question. I don't read driving magazines so I was unaware of this terminology.
  • Options
    It's sometimes difficult to see/imagine Jeff's tongue-in-cheek facial (or is it farcial?) expressions.
  • Options
    katherine6katherine6 Member Posts: 61
    jeffmust2-- I read the same edmunds review re: poor operation of the moon roof. When I took delivery of my RX today I looked at the controls and they weren't identical as in the article. Sure enough they have been redesigned. One toggle tilts the roof and the other slides it fore and aft. For those yet to buy, maybe check to make sure you get the redesigned controls.
    Katherine
  • Options
    grover6grover6 Member Posts: 16
    Glad to hear you got your RX330 today....
    congratulations! Hope you are enjoying it.
  • Options
    I don't think the controls have been redesigned. The article mentioned two buttons, one for tilt and one for sliding. I am guessing the test car has an electrical problem involving the "one-touch" closing operation. Just my $.02
  • Options
    Dudes! Can you please take a break from those MTV Video Awards sites and call up your Test Drive buddies at Edmunds "Central" to see if they can write a Change Order against that RX330 Test Drive review? It's obvious they tested a "lemon"! Have them come over to my house. I'll let them take our RX330 for a half-mile test drive. They will see how righteous the moonroof controls work -- just as Lexus advertised. Your Test Drive report must be corrected. Please help make everything right, once again, in Lexus Land. Many thanks!!
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Man, have you got your nerve - tearing the hosts away from REALLY important endeavors! ;-)

Seriously, please use the feedback form. Real people do read them - really!

tidester, host
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure they have been redesigned. My saleswoman said they were and described how the older ones operated.
  • Options
    Sorry - I guess I was feeling unusually bold last night. I'll have to check out that feedback thing-a-ma-jig and see if real people really do read it, after we return from our vacation trip. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Options
    Wow! Sorry if I was speaking out of ignorance, but it sure seems strange for Lexus to redesign moonroof controls only 3-4 months into production, or less.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "There's more of just about everything — more power, more cargo space and more safety features."

Full Test: 2004 Lexus RX 330

Steve, Host
  • Options
    No ignorance implied. Just wanted to pass on what I was told yesterday so other buyers ask. I'm really enjoying my RX.
    Katherine
  • Options
    ... and MORE interior lighting... everywhere! It almost creeps me out, especially those little blue LEDs deep inside the cup holders.
  • Options
    Hope you are enjoying your RX as much as I am. My son loves it too and he's so wary of putting the first ding in it that he is driving really carefully. Wish I'd thought of that sooner.
    Katherine
  • Options
    tsheertsheer Member Posts: 23
    I read the Edmunds report on moonroof controls not working right, and a few posts here that said they are ok. It looks to me like both are correct: it must work ok on some cars, and not others.

I got one today, and the controls are goofy just like the Edmunds report describes. It does not move automatically at all, it only moves while I'm pushing on the switch. I have to let go of the switch at just the right time after it closes, or it will begin tilting. Really annoying, and obviously malfunctioning.

I've read the owner's manual, and it works nothing like described there.
  • Options
    ...can you report back on the manufactured date of your RX330? It's listed on a plate inside the driver's door frame, to the right side as you stand outside the vehicle.

Thanks.
  • Options
    rx4merx4me Member Posts: 58
    My moonroof works perfectly. No problems!
  • Options
    jeffmust2: My manufacture date is 07/03.
  • Options
    I got a new RX330 today (with the malfunctioning moonroof controls.)

I parked it in the garage and played with it for awhile, then put it into reverse for the first time and prepared to back up with my cool new backup camera.

It was after sundown. When I looked at the backup camera image, I saw bright white spots moving rapidly around the driveway. I leaned in for a closer look, and AAAGGGHH!! Giant Spider!!

A spider had started building a web around the lens at the back of the car, and moved into the field of view just as I leaned in close to the screen. The moving white spots were light reflecting off the strands as they vibrated, I think. The spider was in clear focus despite being almost on the lens, and took up about 1/2 of the screen. Kinda freaked me out there for a bit.
  • Options
    We share the same manufacturing date. I'll double check the moonroof controls today for ease of operation; haven't noticed a problem before.
  • Options
    96accord96accord Member Posts: 20
    I live in Nebraska and I am planning to buy a GX 470 from Los Angeles due to unavaliability of my choice from the local dealers in Ne. I wanted to enquire about the procedure to register if I buy from California. Do I have to pay Ca sales tax and pay registration in Nebraska. Or do I have to drive it to Nebraska and pay the applicable sales tax there along with the registration. I will have to drive it through Neveda, Utah and Wyoming before getting to Nebraska. Will I have to stop at the Ports of entry at each state and inform them i am driving unregistered from California to Nebraska. I spoke to a dealer in LA and he mentioned that I would be liable for california sales tax as the sale was made here unless they ship it out to a certain address where I take delivery but in that case if it were neveda i would be liable to pay sales tax there. They would not register the vehicle in Ca and they would issue me a one way permit to drive out of the state back to Nebraska. Am I liable for Nebraska sales tax at the time of registration there after paying Ca sales tax and will the local dealer there honor any warranty problems there. Does anyone know how this works because I do believe people do buy from other states all the time but how does one manage the the sales tax and registration.

Thanks in Advance
    Pat
  • Options
    Post 1272-- 02whttrib said: "The passenger seat belt buckle is driving me crazy hitting the side of the pillar". Mine developed the same problem today so I buckeled it up. End of problem. If your service department comes up with a better solution please let us know.
    Katherine
  • Options
    I live in Boston and considered purchasing in California too. I was told I could pay sales tax, buy insurance and register the RX in MA before going to pick it up in CA. It would then be a Massachusetts vehicle, just the same as if I bought in MA and then drove to CA. The only thing the DMV and the insurance company needed (you can't register a car in MA without insurance) was the sales contract (receipt?). In the end I bought in MA but it sounded pretty simple.
    Good luck,
    Katherine
  • Options
    wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    CA has more stringent smog requirements or used to, resulting in cars sold in CA getting slightly worse fuel efficiency than the same models sold elsewhere.

Is that still the case?
  • Options
    ...I believe that all cars, with rare exceptions, are "50-state" - the same exact powertrain configuration and mileage for all states.
  • Options
    seabiskitseabiskit Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone have experience with a 330 with the air suspension option?
  • Options
    grover6grover6 Member Posts: 16
    Just noticed a 2004 RX 330 on EBay (from BMW dealer in Austin, TX). No bids yet, looks like reserve is at $35,000. It has around 2,300 miles on it and Premium Plus Pkg w/heated seats-rain sensing wipers. Black w/ivory.
    It sounds like a decent deal, but I'm a skeptical person....there's usually something wrong when I see a "good deal". Does Lexus still honor the warranty, etc.

Opinions?
  • Options
    JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    We have the air suspension option, which comes as part of the "Performance Package." According to several reviews, including the one on Edmunds right here, the handling is definitely improved when you select the "low" setting. My test drive experience confirmed this. Many others, including probably my wife who is the primary driver of this vehicle, would not notice any appreciable difference. It depends how you like to drive, and which types of roads you have in your area. If you do primarily straight freeway driving, it would probably be hard to justify the extra cost.
  • Options
    I would be skeptical too - they very well could be a catch, or a good reason why it's for sale after such few miles. Could have been involved in an accident, or it could be a loaner or test vehicle car with nothing wrong with it, other than possibly some hard miles. Lexus will honor the warranty, just as any new or used vehicle within the warranty period. With just 2300 miles, there is no chance that they would not honor it because of poor maintenance. Lexus calls for a vehicle check at 1,000 miles, but this service does not even include an oil change, the first of which is due at 5,000 miles. Tread carefully, and demand a very good used car price. Some people have reported getting as much as $3,000 off on a brand new one, so I would think a minimum of $5,000 - $6,000 off MSRP would be in order.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply JBaumgart. We live in a very hilly area with most roads having significant curves which is why I am interested in this option. I am told I will have to order it from the factory since there are so few produced but I haven't really explored the truth of this. Any concern with mechanic ability to deal with problems since this is so rare? As an aside, a close friend just purchased the FX45 and loves it but it's too small for a family car. Sure is hot though.
  • Options
    chrisjoochrisjoo Member Posts: 27
    After finally deciding on RX 330 with navigation, I called 5 different dealers. 4 of them are willing to give $1000 off MSRP, and 1 dealer offered $1400 off MSRP, is this best I can do in D.C area? It seems like good deals on Navigation equipped models are hard to come by.
  • Options
    clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    I wonder if the (updated)DVD that drives the NAV system in the 04 RX330/NAV would also work in an 01 RX300/NAV. Anybody out there with both and have you tried this?

BTW, I like the NAV system. You learn that you do not always blindly go where others lead. No matter how many times it tells you to make a legal U-turn.
  • Options
    dogmikedogmike Member Posts: 4
    The RX330 AWD with Navigation models only make up 30%-35% of the total being built. I was told I would have to wait 2-3 weeks for one. I put my order in last week.
  • Options
    johnnieliujohnnieliu Member Posts: 34
    To put things in perspective, I visited 2 Lexus dealerships in the Seattle area, and they had several AWD, Prem Plus, Nav on their lots. Most of them were Black/Black and Flint Mica/Black, but they had some in Breakwater Blue/Ivory, Gray; Savannah/Ivory; and Bamboo Pearl/Ivory.
  • Options
    I think your dealer is exaggerating - when our dealer got their very first shipment of RX330's, I recall at least half of them had the Performance Pkg. I don't know what the overall percentage of VP-equipped cars is, but it should not require a special order if you check around and are a little flexible on colors and other options. In our case we also wanted the Nav, and this combination (at least in our area) did require a special order.

Incidentally I also have an FX45 and you are correct about it being "hot." You would enjoy driving on your hilly and curvy roads if you were to get one of these. I do agree, though, with your assessment that the RX330 is a better family vehicle, but believe it or not the FX is actually a little longer and wider than the RX. The Lexus, however, makes better use of its slightly smaller outside dimensions as it is definitely superior when it comes to rear space, both for cargo and passengers. It is a little taller so this helps the cabin seem even roomier than the numbers would suggest.
  • Options
    JPhamJPham Member Posts: 148
    Try this with your moonroof one-touch problem:
    Hold down the "open" button (not the "tilt" button) until the moonroof has completed one full open-and-close cycle. Then try to see if the one-touch operation works.
  • Options
    clburtonclburton Member Posts: 14
    In 1997, I bought a GS300 in California and drove it with a one way permit to Texas. I paid state tax in California. In Texas, I was required to pay the difference of the Texas tax minus the California tax. I think this is to catch people who buy in a state to avoid paying the tax. Since California's tax was higher, I paid nothing extra in Texas. Don't know if the laws have changed since then or if different states have different ways of handling this.
  • Options
    asuncionasuncion Member Posts: 6
    $1400.00 for a AWD navigation and Premium Plus is an excellent deal for the DC Metro area.
  • Options
    I got the impression that the interior of the 330 was designed by someone who owned or designed boats as every available space seemed to be so well used, even with multi-purpose components (the locking storage covers in the back which do away with the need for cargo nets comes to mind). I hope you're right about being able to get the Perf Pkg w/o too much difficulty - I don't really want/need NAV, except the reverse activated camera is a truly useful toy.