Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• Options
    jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Yes.
  • Options
    clburtonclburton Member Posts: 14
    I was hit from behind last week and we were standing around accessing the damage. Someone asked where did this tire come from (the car that hit me was parked on top of a tire)? Turns out it was my spare.
  • Options
    mvd1mvd1 Member Posts: 30
    Do you have a steel garage door? I've installed a number of garage door openers and found that steel doors attenuate the signal from automobile Homelink transmitters. An indication of this is that the opener responds better with the garage door open. Be sure the antenna on your opener's receiver is fully extended and preferably oriented vertically. I've never seen this problem with a wooden or fiberglass door.
  • Options
    dallas_mmicdallas_mmic Member Posts: 13
    Yes... the door is steel and it does work better when closing (ie the door is open) than when the door is closed and I'm trying to open it. I will check out the antenna this evening. Thanks for your insight.
  • Options
    jhk_dbjhk_db Member Posts: 25
    In my opinion, the RX330 is a BIG improvement over the RX300. The RX300 was my wife's car and, while it was nice, quiet, luxurious, etc., I didn't really enjoy driving it. I like driving the RX330.

Actually, both my wife and I like the RX330 much more than the RX300 but for different reasons. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    laterldflaterldf Member Posts: 37
    Jeeez. . . being from Kansas, I've noticed my attention span being attenuated more and more often as I've gotten older and more remote from the Shakin' Quakers. . . later, ldf
  • Options
    damorminodamormino Member Posts: 82
    Has anyone else noticed that the RX330 doesn't retain power to accessories well. In my Acura MDX, I can adjust the power seat and eject the CD and DVD disks without putting the key in the ignition and turning it to the Accessories setting. I can also open and close windows for several seconds after I have removed the key. My RX330 doesn't afford these luxuries.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Don't open the door and the power will remain on....
  • Options
    cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    Mr. West is correct. Until you open the door and cause the dome light to turn on, you have retained power for the accessories, including removing CDs and opening/closing the windows and moonroof.

The DVD system doesn't sound so great, but we didn't get that option. We force our son to "rough it out" without one. We do have an old video tape player with a screen that can be mounted on the headrest posts -- for any long vacation trips.
  • Options
    rwong1998rwong1998 Member Posts: 38
    I am in the Vancouver area and was wondering how much off MSRP buyers are getting in Canada and in the Vancouver area?
  • Options
    rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    Two individuals suggesting trading up. Thank you, but could you be specific as to why it might be worth it other than the smaller turning radious.
  • Options
    reklawcreklawc Member Posts: 27
    I understand the '03 engine turns approximately 2700 rpm in 4th gear(high) at 70 mph and the '04 turns approximately 2100 rpm in 5th gear(high) at the same speed. Can anyone tell me the engine rpms of the '04 in 4th gear at 70 mph. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    5th is likely overdrive and the 01 AWD RX's overdrive ratio is 0.7:1.

3000RPM in "4th" at 70MPH, assuming you are correct about 2100RPM in 5th(overdrive) and the new overdrive ratio is the same.
  • Options
    in the RX330 is about 2800-2850 rpm.

I was curious as well.

As for why the RX330 is more desirable than the RX300:

a. Smaller turning radius (couldn't resist)
    b. Higher quality interior materials
    c. Better handling & more power
    d. Lower rpm at cruise; better mpg after break-in
    e. More legroom for driver
    f. Power tilt/telescope on steering wheel (like LS)
    g. New useful features - power hatch, rear camera, HID (didn't have HID on '01 RX300), in-dash CD changer w/o magazines, much better console, much better standard audio with better reception in our area,etc.

Same deal (lease price per month) as the RX300 - so it was a no-brainer. Depreciation on RX300 turned out to be lower than expected over first 33 months - so I purchased it off lease and sold it to a private party at a profit. Lexus Financial had projected it's residual value at 55-56%; got 73% instead. Remarkable - and I probably could have gotten a bit more but I get ansy with Extra Cars sitting in the drive.
  • Options
    the smaller turning radius! (I just couldn't resist, either.)

Other possible improvements of the RX330 over the RX300 (Forgive me if I incorrectly mention a feature that was included on the RX300):

i) 5-speed transmission should provide more responsive drivetrain for city driving. (More likely to remain within power band when taking corners, braking and accelerating, etc.)

ii) Cool-looking interior ambient and entry/exit lighting

iii) More safety features that are standard in all 330 models; such as knee protection airbag for driver, larger side airbags on front seats, and tire inflation warning indicator. Older RX300 models do not contain the stability control and head-protection side airbag curtains of the 330.

iv) The 330's rear seat doesn't seem to sit as low as the RX300's rear seat, which allows our child to see out of his back seat. Also, the rear seat legroom seems quite larger.

v) 18" wheels versus 16" wheels, improving the car's performance and looks (imo).

vi) Other cool features such as auto-retracting cargo cover, power lumbar adjustment, 40-20-40 split folding rear seat, audio controls on steering wheel, and life-like aluminum interior trim.
  • Options
    Has anyone else ever heard a tapping sound from under the floor when driving at high speeds?

From what I can see underneath the driver's side of the car, I believe the extended unfastened corner of a plastic shield is able to make contact with the floor when there is strong enough wind turbulence. We can hear this "tapping" noise occasionally when traveling at 75mph or greater. The tapping becomes more pronounced above 80mph.

I will be going into the dealer tomorrow for the first oil change. I really hope they can address this issue!
  • Options
    finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    I consider the shorter turning radius of the 330 a huge improvement. A gripe I have with our 300 is the wind deflector; the metal strip that goes up when you open the hole in the roof. It makes so much noise that I hold it down with my hand. Has this been corrected on the 330?
  • Options
    JPhamJPham Member Posts: 148
    You really should go sit and drive in an RX330 ... and then sit in an RX300 afterwards.
    They're worlds apart.
  • Options
    Not opening the door isn't much of an option if I am going in the car to get a CD or DVD out of the drive. Having to get the key is just a minor annoyance though. Having said that, there are just so many minor annoyances with the electrical system and control on the RX that they become quite noticeable as a whole. It's like the doors that are always locked when I go to get my kid out of the back seat. I realize this one can be reprogrammed, but many things, like the retained power and DVD system can not be. It's a great vehicle and I have few regrets, but I think these things detract from the experience greatly. I understand that much of Toyota's electronics is designed by a company called "Denso". Translated into English, this obviously means "Dense".
  • Options
    I whole-heartedly agree.

I rewired my 92 LS so the power dies as I close the driver's door.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Translated into English, this obviously means "Dense"

Actually, "denso" is the Japanese word for "condensor" - of the electrical variety.

tidester, host
  • Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    do you want whomever in the car play with the windows, seats or steal your CD when you already took out the key?
  • Options
    I presently drive the 300 and like the magazine style cd changer as I can easily change 6 cds at once. I preload an extra magazine and in one quick move all the cds are changed.

I also work out of my "trunk" and frequenly will lock the vehicle with the exception of the 5th door, which is something I do not believe one can do on the 330. This saves me from "fumbling" for the keys.
  • Options
    Actually, it is nice being able to move the power seats while vacuuming the MDX, without having to get the key and put it in the ignition.

I agree if I was leaving my child to play in the car (which I don't often do) it would be nice to have a way to turn off all the equipment. But I would rather set some child-safety lock for those rare occasions, than have to be inconvenienced all the time. And if I don't want anything stolen, I lock the doors (if my kid steals my CD while my cars is in the garage, I've got bigger problems).

So where is the condenser on the RX330 anyway? I thought these new cars didn't use them any more. Hey maybe that explains it. Rather than hiring new engineers to design their electronics and controls, Lexus just move the old condesor engineers who weren't needed any more into the audio and electronics department to see what they could do. The RX330's electronics aren't half bad - especially when you consider they're designed by a bunch of guys who used to only know how to design condensers.
  • Options
    ...if you like the Acura Nav approach so you or your passenger can change settings while the vehicle's in motion...and the Acura-engine-off-but-power-stays-on-feature...and these nitpicky items seem to drive you to the point of distraction...

Why didn't you just buy another MDX? At last report, they're still available. You can even choose the color I'll betcha.

And when my wife and I test drove the RX330 before buying it, the Nav system didn't take input data while the vehicle was in motion - just like the Nav system in our RX300 for the past 3 years. And the power accessories didn't work much past 30 seconds after the key was turned off and the door stayed closed; the RX330 extends that feature to 43 seconds according to the manual but that's the only difference.

In other words...if these two Major Problems are so upsetting to you that you go on endlessly about them on this board and other boards...why did you not notice them during your exhaustive test drive? Seems to me you should have been testing that Nav and testing that power-off feature till the cows come home...or the MDX does.

Sheesh.
  • Options
    jrdowneyjrdowney Member Posts: 96
    I'm interested in all the comments above. I took a good look at the 330 but didn't find the improvements all that compelling. In addition, I like the more subtle interior of the 300. The 330 just seems too overdone and I don't care for the AL trim. And please don't forget, the 300 was about the highest rated vehicle on the market. Reading above one might have the impression the 300 was quite inferior!
  • Options
    ...did you drive the RX330?
  • Options
    You stated the RX300 "was about the highest rated vehicle on the market". Yeah, that was true back in 1999 and 2000, but there have been several reviews and premium SUV comparos since 2001 in which the RX300 was no longer rated among the best. Newer models had surpassed the RX300, according to the automotive critics.

Just look at recent reviews here in Edmunds if you don't believe me. As an example, Edmunds performed a 2002 Luxury Crossover Comparison Test in which the RX300 came in last place among the four entries. Consumer Reports had rated the MDX, Highlander, X5 4.4, Pilot, and Audi Allroad above the RX300.

Obviously, Lexus didn't waste too much time correcting this matter. (Unlike Mercedes with their M-Class, but that's a different topic.) The RX330 went into production early in 2003. According to most reviews I have seen, Lexus is once again among the very top of the luxury SUV field with the new RX330. Consumer Reports now places the RX330 as their top-rated recommended SUV. Edmunds recently performed a full Road Test and stated the following: "The RX 330 is such a huge improvement over the RX 300 it replaces that there's almost no comparison."

Apparently, Jeff and I aren't the only ones who feel the 300 is inferior to the 330.
  • Options
    I prefer to point out both positives and negatives of vehicles. There are many things about the RX330 that are nicer than the MDX: automatic rear hatch, better upholstery, DVD screen does not block rear view nearly as much, navigation system alerts you just before a turn with a subtle reminder tone, entry and exit is better, auto-up and down on all windows and that cool cup holder below the driver's air vent.
    I would like to see both of these vehicles improved, so I tend to point out more negative, than positive. That's usually what people want to know. They want to make sure that these isn't something they will regret and read these boards for that information.
    I have already giving a Honda engineer all my notes and comparisons, so I tend to be harsher about the Lexus on these boards since I don't have a direct contact to Toyota/Lexus Engineering like I do for Honda/Acura.
    Many people have talked with me prior to purchasing the MDX and RX330 and later thanked me for pointing out the pluses and minuses of both vehicles. I hope some of those reading these boards will deem my posts useful as well.
  • Options
    That the RX330 is a vast improvement over the RX300. I would not have chosen to gussy up the interior in the style of the SC430, but one can always paint the aluminum trim to match the interior color.

The AWD RX330's low engine RPM "at speed" seems to imply it's now a rear driver. The front final drive ratio was raised from 3.2 to 3.478 while the rear final drive ratio was left at 2.92. Would elimination of the VC have this effect?

Anyone know the answer?
  • Options
    scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    Here is a link to a review of the RX330. I believe the article was just posted.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/04rx330.htm

Scott
  • Options
    bangorangbangorang Member Posts: 7
    Good review. Thanks for posting it.
  • Options
    Guess the RX330s in Canada come with the properly dealer prepped "working" moonroof, unlike the ill-prepared one that Edmund.com critized in their shoddy review.
  • Options
    dogmikedogmike Member Posts: 4
    Has the production of RX330s began in Canada? If so, what is the current production rate per week?

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I think they are just about to begin the production in Canada. Did I read someone said they already made 10,000 RX330s? I still want to know if they are continue sending the RX from Japan.
  • Options
    maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    lok888,

RX330 production, even once the Canadian factory is up to speed, will still be split between Japan and Canada. I believe the Canadian factory does not have enough capacity to produce all RX330's for the North American market. This is because they also manufacture Corolla's and Matrix's at that facility.
  • Options
    46494649 Member Posts: 24
    Has anyone purchased the Service Manual for the RX330? How much are they and do you think they are worth the expense?
  • Options
    scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I had a frontal collision in my RX330 in July. I have the Flint Mica paint. My detail person noticed that the painted parts (hood, front bumper and fenders) did not match the original. In the sun, it is quite noticeable that the original has a lot more metal flake and vibrancy.

When I took the car back to the shop, which is of high repute, he stated that Lexus had not released the paint formula until after my car was repaired. Does this sound like B.S. to you? The shop is planning on re-painting the car in the next week.
  • Options
    sounds like he's lying to you! If the paint isn't out yet, how did he paint it "flint mica" in the first place? If the paint wasn't out, he should have waited until the paint was on the market before painting it.
  • Options
    Mica paints are hard to color match because it depends on how the metallic flakes are positioned as the paint dries. Chances are he just screwed up painting and doesn't want to admit it.
  • Options
    r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    Love our new RX330. We've got about 5000 miles and I checked with dealer who wants about $150 for oil change and tire rotation. Seems a little high. Local independent service says they can do the same for about $60. Will I risk much by using the independent? Do I need synthetic oil? All our driving is city/freeway- no off road.
  • Options
    vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    aren't the first TWO services totally free with any new Lexus, at 1000 and 5000 miles?

If the dealership insists you on charging, acall direct to Lexus Customer Service might be in order. Good Luck.
  • Options
    1k-inspection and first 5k-service (oil change) are free.
  • Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    I guess the dealer is charging $150 for tire rotation...I would call up another dealer. My wife's RX is due to have the 5000 services in about a month.
  • Options
    Now that the 330 has been out for a bit, does anyone know when any minor modifications/improvements will be made for 2004-2005 or will there be no changes until fall 2004?
  • Options
    wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    So the Lexus doesn't have free scheduled maintenance beyond the 1k and 5k free oil changes?

Or is it free oil changes for something like 4 years/50k miles like BMW?

I hope it's not the dealership which sold you the car which is asking $150 for tire rotation. What does that take, maybe 10 min?
  • Options
    It's not the time it takes.

It's coordinating the 8 guys required to lift the car, rotate it 180 degrees, and put it back down on top of the jack stands so the tires can be reinstalled.

I thought everyone knew that.
  • Options
    the 4 guys needed to hold up each tire.
  • Options
    The first service is actually recommended at 7500 miles unless you have a "taxi" sign on top.
  • Options
    JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    How about those with a "Baby Onboard" bumper sticker?