Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• Options
    tedcruisertedcruiser Member Posts: 50
    I am 6'4" tall and was wanting some input on how others of this height fit into the Rx330 and if they have plenty of head room.

thanks,
  • Options
    rx4merx4me Member Posts: 58
    Have/will you put Costco brand gas in your rx330? With the high cost of fuel here in the Bay Area (CA), I've seen many people put Costco brand gas in luxury (and high performance) vehicles. Wondering what brand of fuel others are putting in their rx330, and if brand really makes a difference.
  • Options
    jbgrahamjbgraham Member Posts: 34
    I'm 6'3" and have plenty of room. When I was in the testing phase, I was more comfortable in the T-Reg. However, they had just come out and they were not allowing drives - and they were fairly obnoxious. They're discounting now, so you might want to try one if they appeal to you in other ways.
  • Options
    rycaryca Member Posts: 17
    I used Costco gas in my Ford Windstar before I traded it for the luxurious 330 and the check engine light came on after about 4 tanks of gas. The gas cap was on tightly so it may have been a bad tank of gas but I have never used their gas again and the check engine light never came back on. I will not use it in my 330 but here on the East coast the price difference is only about 4 cents.
  • Options
    cfgrosscfgross Member Posts: 54
    "- I wonder why I have to select “I Agree” every time before the navigation can be activated. I‘d rather sign something and mail it to Lexus to save the trouble."

This annoys me, too. You can thank the Trial Lawyers of America for that. . . and for the ugly airbag warning on your visor, and for the fact that your manual is the size of an encyclopedia because of all of the warnings and disclaimers, etc., etc. etc.

"- The map database is not up to date. A 4-lane major road in my area has been in existence for at least 2 years but when I drove the RX330 on it, the Nav system showed the car was like “swimming in ocean” and kept asking me to “make a legal U turn.”

While this may be true, it's not HALF as bad as the data on my '03 Jaguar's nav system (which is the same Denso system as in the Lexus and Toyota). My development is about 6-7 years old. We ARE on the map on the Lexus (and my neighbor's Toyota) nav system, but NOT on the map on the Jag. They recently released an "new" disk -- and our neighborhood isn't on that one either!

Craig
  • Options
    r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    We've used Costco gas in our RX330 and E-320 with no adverse effects.
  • Options
    finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    I'm surprised that the door could hit the ceiling of a garage. On my RX300, it's not near the garage ceiling when raised. Don't you open it in the garage to load it for trips etc?
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    You can (re-)train your rear poer door to to only open as high as you like. Don't know how it works but I'm sure it's in that 600 page manual somewhere.
  • Options
    jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    ...but I tried milk and dog biscuits anyway; didn't work.

The manual's pages 34-42 cover the rear hatch operation but I found no text about changing its range-of-motion.

When fully open, it clears our sectional garage door by about 2" - and I seem to recall that the RX300's hatch did not go up that close.
  • Options
    tsheertsheer Member Posts: 23
    Costco doesn't own any refineries; so they don't make their own gasoline. They buy it from from independent refiners and major oil companies. Shell bought Equilon's refineries a couple years ago, for instance, and those refineries still ship to multiple customers.

The gas you buy at Costco is no different than the products they sell inside the warehouse: It's a product they have purchased and are re-selling to you, it's not something they manufacture.
  • Options
    All of these "pinch protection" windows, doors, etc, seem to have the same servo logic. For instance, if the battery on my 911/996 goes dead the windows and sunroof "forget" where the fully closed position is and must be retrained.

My guess is that if you disconnect the battery briefly then reStrain the rear door so it can only open as far as you wish and then cycle it several times against the false "stop" it will then "remember" the new fully open position.

Worth a try??

You can't do any damage since it's designed to auto-stop on encountering any unusual resistance.
  • Options
    cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    Back in August we experienced a severe gas shortage in the Phoenix area due to a gas pipeline rupture. Costco was one of the first stations to run out of gas. Now that the supply of gasoline is back to normal, Costco seems to be the first station to lower their prices back to a "normal" level. I recently paid $1.76/gallon for 91 octane gas at the Costco station, while other gas stations in the area are still charging between $2.05 and $2.15 per gallon!
  • Options
    ctk1ctk1 Member Posts: 79
    Does anyone try the 255/55/R18 on the new rx330? Does it fit?
    Mine is Michelin 235/55/R18. I check the gap between the size wall of the tire and the sock spring, they are less than 1 inch gap. Not sure it will fit the 255/55/R18 tire size!!!
  • Options
    erik_herik_h Member Posts: 77
    I've been using the premium in my rx300 w/out any problems. Its the same cost at costco as the 89 octane at most other stations and I do notice a slight difference during the hot months between running 87 and 93.
  • Options
    1) In order to keep the overall diameter of the wheel/tire package the same, so that your speedometer/odometer and gearing are not affected, you should probably consider a 255/50R18 instead of a 255/55R18.

2) Theoretically, increasing to a 255mm tire width should cause both the inside and outside edge of the tread (relative to the center of the wheel) to grow by 10mm, which is about 0.4" both directions. This may still provide the required clearance. Another issue is whether the wider tire will properly mate with the stock Lexus 18" rim. Obviously, there is a limited range of tire widths that will properly mate with a specific wheel width, and a 255mm tire width might be considered too wide for that wheel. One reason I warn about this possibility is that some auto manufacturers use as narrow of a rim as recommended for the advertised tire width, in order to reduce a few dollars cost on the rims. One option is to check with a tire and wheel expert, such as at tirerack.com. Another option is to check a tire manufacturer's website. Some of these websites are very informative, including tables that list minimum and maximum wheel widths for a specific tire size. (BTW, I don't know the width of the Lexus rims, but that info should be readily available.)

I hope some of this info is helpful and not duplication of what you already understood.
  • Options
    While I have test drove the new RX twice, I didn't really test the performance of the engine from a "quick" start perspective or in passing situations. Can you please comment on your impressions of how the engine handles in passing and quick acceleration situations? Is the torque/horsepower satisfying and is there enough of it?

I currently have a GS300 that is as smooth as butter. How does this RX engine compare to other Lexus models? I've noticed the increase in engine noise. What other comments can you make?

Thanks,
    Tedcruiser
  • Options
  • Options
    awjenniawjenni Member Posts: 6
    I received an email from a Lexus address the other day containing among other items, the following paragraph:

"[4] Tires fitted with 17- or 18-in wheels are expected to experience greater wear than conventional tires. Tire life may be substantially less than 20,000 miles, depending on driving conditions."

Is this what I can expect?? If it is true, less than 20K miles, that is disappointing. I realize that "depending on driving conditions" covers a lot of ground, but less than 20K?

Al Jennings
  • Options
    The RX330 is driven by my wife the majority of the time, and so please don't take my feedback as authoritative.

Keeping in mind the RX is an SUV, I think the engine has good pickup. I think it provides a little better passing acceleration than our previous '01 240hp MDX. If you give a good push to the accelerator, the RX330 will definitely get up and go.

On the other hand, I am not very fond of the transmission. Compared to other cars I have driven, including my current BMW 5-series 5sp automatic, it seems that the RX330 transmission is a little hesitant to downshift when applying a small, light tap on the accelerator. So when I apply a stronger push, the transmission sometimes decides to over compensate and shift down a full 2 gears. I believe there is a TSB out for an ECM program update to the transmission, but it seems that not all the dealers are aware of it yet. As it is, I am not overly concerned. It certainly isn't a significant problem causing me any concern. I still give the transmission a passing grade, but I just don't think it is as intelligent and/or responsive as it could be. The new TSB may improve matters.

Personally, I like the un-Lexus-like engine sound that some owners of the previous RX300 model have complained about. I don't consider the engine loud. I only seem to notice any engine noise if I am paying attention to it. Keep in mind that I am not a typical Lexus driver. My last two automobiles were BMW and Audi. I like the little bit of sporty flavor Lexus added to the RX330 when compared to the RX300.
  • Options
    rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    I own an RX 300 and only use octane 87 gas with no problems at all.
  • Options
    The size of the tires, whether 15" or 18", should not be a significant factor affecting tread life. The most significant factor is the softness/hardness of the tread compound, which seems to be affected primarily by the rated speed grade and the tire type (touring, performance, all-season, etc.)

A low-profile high-speed grade tire (such as "Z" or "W") will have a shorter life span than a typical "S", "T", or "H" rated tire, regardless of the tire size. I believe the 18" tires on the RX330 have a "V" speed rating, which is between "H" and "Z". I believe the 17" tires for the RX330 have a lower speed rating. The RX330 is equipped with all-season tires, and so I wouldn't expect the tread compound to be too soft.

Even a low-profile "W" rated performance tire can often achieve more than 20K miles of tread life. I would be shocked if most of us are not getting at least 30K miles off of the 18" tires equipped on the RX330.
  • Options
    For a given tire "type", all other tire and suspension parameters being equal, the larger the wheel in relation to sidewall height the faster the tread will wear.

Narrow sidewalls have less "flex" and so the tread must take the brunt of the impact from irregular roadbed surfaces.
  • Options
    I'm a new Lexus owner and do not find the engine noisy at all. However, I have never driven or owned a Lexus previously, so I can't really compare. The only time I really notice any engine noise is upon acceleration (I'm talking about REALLY gunning it). I actually like the sounds of the engine noise that others are complaining about, as it kind of gives it a more sportier 'feel' to go along with the new sportier look. Just my opinion...
  • Options
    Yep, I overlooked this issue, but I think it's a very small factor in the context of the message received by awjenni.

I'm not so sure that a tire with 5" (for example) of sidewall height on an 18" rim is going to wear much faster than a similar tire with 5" sidewall height on a 15" rim. Sure, the ratio of tire sidewall to wheel diameter changes, but I am not easily convinced that the ratio is as important as the length of the sidewall.

Surely you don't believe the Lexus 235/55R18 all-season tires are destined for a tire graveyard when they reach 20K miles of age, do you?

(Correct answer: "No, I do not..., and DON'T call me Shirley.")
  • Options
    As luck would have it, I drove the RX330 to work today. I paid close attention to the transmission on the drive home tonight. No complaints, whatsoever! When cruising down the road and giving the throttle a little more push, the RX330 downshifted one gear fairly responsively and accelerated at a good clip. Maybe my memory is a bit too critical, based on situations that rarely occur? Maybe the "learning" transmission was experiencing some confusion with me after it had been attempting to adapt to my wife's driving style?

As I implied in my previous message, don't allow my feedback to carry much weight.
  • Options
    buffnboubuffnbou Member Posts: 12
    Hi! Took delivery of a Crystal White, AWD w/Premium Plus Pkg and 18" wheels, and few other extras, last night! Tried the FX35 and chose the RX330. What a remarkeable vehicle! Comfort and reliability won out. My prior car was a '96 GMC Yukon, which has been a very good vehicle (we kept it). Looking forward to many good miles and weeks of light reading at bedtime with the owner's manual! Lots of good info here-Thanks!
  • Options
    borg1of2borg1of2 Member Posts: 90
    I own an RX 300 and have used Amoco Ultimate for the last 5 years. This gas is NOT the same as the others and I feel its worth the extra money. I am averaging 21.5 MPG over the 5 years, with mostly local driving to and from work with trips on the highway. Would I purchase Costco gas, no, but that is just my opinion.
  • Options
    My Michellin cross terrains on the 01 AWD RX have over 30k miles and still lots of tread left.

Are tires rated for wear at maximum load??
  • Options
    46494649 Member Posts: 24
    I don't mean to broadcast my ignorance, but how can you tell if the transmission is downshifting one, two or more gears when press down on the excelerator???

Dennis
  • Options
    Seat of the pants can be misleading since subsequent up-shifting back into highest gear, overdrive, occurs in two quick stages, first the torque converter is locked and then the shift is made from 3rd (or 4th) to overdrive.

Two definite tach movements also.
  • Options
    Actually, it was an educated guess, mostly based on the tach changing from around 1800rpm to something well above 4000rpm. I also thought I felt two very quick stages of downshifts.
  • Options
  • Options
    lovemylexus1lovemylexus1 Member Posts: 101
    Allow me to begin with a word of thanks. I have found this discussion group to be very helpful in answering questions I have about my new RX330. It’s good to know there are others out there with similar questions/concerns.

I sold my 2001 Honda Accord for an AWD Bamboo Pearl (with Ivory Leather). I opted only to get the Performance package…primarily because the Bamboo Pearl color was more important than nearly all of the added features I didn’t get. But, I agree with others on this site that the options packages are unusually restrictive and not very flexible.

Queen Lexi had her 1000 mile check-up today. Top on my priority list was the updated transmission software. The dealer installed it and I can tell a huge difference. The vehicle shifts MUCH faster in lower gears. But at times it feels as if the transmission is literally kicking and screaming itself into third gear. It’s as if Lexus overcompensated for the sluggishness of the original transmission installation. I will have to drive her for a few more days to see if I will raise this as an issue at the next regular service check.

Based on previous posts on this site, I had my dealer check the exhaust system. I was told Queenie didn’t have the problem identified by other owners on this site. I still, however, think the engine is louder than it should be on acceleration. The dealer gave me a new ES330 as a loaner and it was much quieter than the RX330. Are the engines in the new ES330 the same as the one in my RX?

I have had the RX330 for just over a month. The rear power door failed to open once from the front and with the remote key. I reset the switch in the glove box a few times and that seemed to take care of the problem. The backlight of the center console also failed to come on once very late at night until I put the car into gear. The dealership couldn’t find an explanation upon examination today.

I haven’t had any of the sunroof problems described by others on this site. My RX has two separate switches to control the roof…one for tilt and the other to fully open the panel. I noticed the ES330 I drove today had only one switch to operate the sunroof and I can easily see how it could cause confusion.

After my experience today I am SO glad I didn’t buy an ES. It was quieter but it didn’t ride as well and I felt like an old lady in it (no offense intended, I am just not ready to be old, yet!). The interior is bland and the dark cherry wood almost looked fake (maybe it is…I don’t know).

The rest of my complaints about Queenie are minor. I wish there was a place to put change (this is the only thing I truly miss about the Accord). I wish Lexus offered a non-wood interior package. I know the performance package has less wood but I would love to have an RX with NO wood. My husband bought a Mercedes C230 sport sedan because the interior trim is aluminum and not wood. Finally, I wish the Lexus medallion on the front grill was solid metal. I think a $40,000 plus luxury vehicle should not have a cheap, plastic front grill medallion.

The RX330 is, by far, the best SUV in its class. I drove every other luxury competitor and this is the clear winner when it comes to comfort, styling and standard options.
  • Options
    What can you tell me about the transmission software update? Is it widely know across dealers. How did you find out about it and how did you get it updated on your RX?

Was your dealer familiar with it and have it readily available?

Thanks,
    Tedcruiser
  • Options
    Kristin: Thanks for the feedback on the transmission S/W update. Maybe some of that eager shifting trend will calm down after the transmission "learns" your driving patterns better?

I know exactly what you mean about the ES. I don't want to offend anyone either, but the word "bland" came to mind when I was driving the ES loaner after I had taken my wife's RX for its 5K service. I would have preferred an IS300 for a loaner. I also think some of the trim in the RX looks richer than the ES. The RX seems to have a nicer-looking instrument gauge cluster and audio/climate cluster, imo.

If the power rear hatch fails to open from the front or with the remote, you might try manually opening the hatch door. Once it is open, try hitting the power button on the hatch door to see if it will automatically close. I've seen a couple reports where the power hatch worked again after being manually opened, without having to go into the glove box. That was also my experience a few weeks ago. (We've experienced this problem only once.)

By the way, I hate to get off-topic (ok, not really, but I'll just pretend that I hate it)... If you could casually sneak a line or two into this discussion regarding your impressions of your husband's C230 sport sedan, I would be most grateful. I currently drive a 528i sport, but my next car will likely be a little smaller (both in size and price). PS, I also don't care for wood. I really wanted to buy the RX330 with just the Premium Package instead of the Premium Plus Package. The cheapskate in me didn't want to spend the extra $$ for the Performance Pkg. Unfortunately, the basic Premium Package was not available in our region. I like the power rear hatch and HID lamps within the Plus Pkg, but I didn't want the wood steering wheel! Sorry, but wooden steering wheels are too "Cadillac" for me!
  • Options
    I'm afraid I am going to show some ignorance... or maybe laziness, because I could probably quickly research an answer, if I wasn't feeling lazy right now.

I always thought the tire wear rating number was a relative rating(?). It's useful when comparing similar types of tires, but it doesn't provide an accurate estimate of your total mileage, regardless of load. Seem reasoanble? (Note: I should probably fix that spelling error, but I'm still feeling too lazy.)

Someone once told me that if you multiply the wear rating by 200, the resulting number equates to how many miles you should achieve with that tire. However, I know that isn't realistic with most of the lower-profile performance tires. I bought a set of 225/45ZR17s, with a "200" rating, for a sport sedan I drove a few years ago. Most of the tread was gone in less than 22K miles. That was under fairly casual driving. I rarely carried additional passengers or baggage. Well, maybe some emotional baggage, but no additional load on the tires. I've read a few other accounts that echo the same findings.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Actually, the treadwear number is useful only for comparing tires by the same manufacturer. You can't compare treadwear numbers between, say, Bridgestone and Michelin. The US regulators are trying to change this I understand. I'd look it up, but laziness is catching :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I was reading that the new Touareg has the AC system go to recirc when backing up. Does the 330 do that? I have a 300 and have noticed more than a few times the smell of exhaust when I back up first thing in the morning. Seems like a great idea to me.
  • Options
    beachlexusbeachlexus Member Posts: 2
    The plastic cover over the gas tank is bent upward in the front but not secured to anything. At speeds around 65MPH the wind forces the tip of this plastic cover to tap on the bottom of the under frame.
    I had to drill a hole in the plastic cover and used wire ties to secure it to a cable that passes directly under this upward turned part of the cover. Climb under the RX just behind the front seat and you will see what I mean.
  • Options
    beachlexusbeachlexus Member Posts: 2
    I traded an ES300 for my new RX330.
    I find the transmission a lot noisier than the ES. In fact there is a different whine starting at 27 MPH to around 40 MPH that is very annoying. The dealer said they have received other complaints and are working on a solution. May be a vibration or motor mount problem. Anyone else having this problem and what is the solution?

ii
  • Options
    grover6grover6 Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know the "invoice price" of the cargo mat and wheel locks for the RX330? The retail is $92 and $66, but can't find the real invoice amounts. Thanks!
  • Options
    bmwbob27bmwbob27 Member Posts: 35
    Grover6:: Look on www.carsdirect.com. I found the prices there. Bob
  • Options
    Our RX330 also had a minor tapping noise under the floor when traveling above 70mph. We could tell it was based on wind/turbulence; not based on the road surface. I came to the same conclusion as beachlexus. An extension of the plastic cover, underneath the frame near the driver-side B pillar, was tapping against the frame due to wind turbulence.

I had trouble reproducing these symptoms for the Lexus technician during a test drive at our 5K service, but he took my word on it. He glued a couple thin strips of foam along the inside edge of that cover. For the past 2 weeks we haven't heard any more tapping sounds.

Because the end of the plastic cover is not firmly secured, I'm surprised this problem hasn't been observed on more RX330s.
  • Options
    scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I suspect mine has this problem too. I am going to mention it to the tech when I take my car in for its 5,000 mile service.
  • Options
    lovemylexus1lovemylexus1 Member Posts: 101
    I will try to respond to both Ted and Rob in this message.

Ted...I found out about the transmission software update from previous messages posted on this site. Someone actually posted the TSB number (big thanks to the person who posted it). It's TSB#TC005-03. My dealer knew about it but I have a feeling they don't do the update unless there are specific complaints about the shifting. I had the update done at the 1000 mile service. They must have the software handy since the car was only at the dealer for one day.
    Hope this helps.

Rob...thanks for the tip on the power door. Hopefully I won't have to use it. As for the C230...we purchased this after driving the IS300, BMW325 and the two larger Volvo sedans. We almost bought the IS300 but in the end, we felt the IS was a bit "too young" for us. The new design seems to fit a teenage boy better than a middle age man. The IS300 also felt smaller inside and we weren't thrilled with the color choices. And my engineer husband loves the set-up of the Benz dash computer. I drive it when I feel the need for speed. And, the C230 is the turbo...it has more punch than the C240.
    I would recommend you test drive both the IS300 and the C230 back-to-back if possible...it is much easier to compare the similarities and differences.

Finally for all...I put about 80 miles on the RX today. The engine is still louder than I wish it was but the transmission seems to have calmed down with the added driving. And, my gas mileage is MUCH better (21 versus barely 18 before).
  • Options
    chrisjoochrisjoo Member Posts: 27
    invoice price for cargo mat and wheel locks is $95.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback! Since I am also an engineer (electrical), I, too, always enjoy a good trip computer. The upgraded trip computer in our '98 323is was the best I've ever seen, thus far. Regarding the IS300, it think it may be too small, unless I consider the SportCross version. I would mostly consider the European cars, and also give worthy consideration to the new Acura TSX. I would never consider the slower C240. I was mainly curious about the new C230 sedan because this version was first introduced for 2003, and it seems to offer a nice array of sporty equipment at a reasonable price. Anyway, that's at least a year away (hopefully), and so I'll get back onto the proper topic.

Glad to hear the tranny is behaving better!
  • Options
    lamkenlamken Member Posts: 19
    I'm usiing 92 octane from day one and I still have pinging on hard acceleration especially in hot weather, uphill with a/c compresssor on.
    The Pinging happens around 3000rpm to 4000rpm. Any similar experience. No code shows up on obdii.
  • Options
    I drive the rx330/AWD today and feel the "clunk" during the highway traffic, stop and go. This only happen with down shifting.Does anyone has similar problem? Any advice.
    Thanks
  • Options
    46494649 Member Posts: 24
    Yes, I have noticed the same thing. It heavy stop and go beltway traffic I notice a clunking sound when down shifting but not when it up shifts once you get up to speed.

I would really like to know if someone has had this looked at by Lexus and what they did.

Thanks

Dennis