Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Best Luxury SUV for off-road handling?

emilywdemilywd Member Posts: 2
edited April 2015 in Lexus
Hello All!

I am trying to help my mother, a real estate broker, find a new car for her business. She is looking for a luxury SUV with these top priorities:
1. Comfort (smooth-riding and roomy)
2. Safety
3. Looks (she loves the Lexus look)

She emphasizes looks, since "the nicer the car, the better for her reputation". Her car is like her office on wheels! Also, she needs an AWD that offers off-road capabilities since most of her showings are on undeveloped land.
Any suggestions, comments, and advice is truly appreciated!

Comments

  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,896
    emilywd said:

    Hello All!

    I am trying to help my mother, a real estate broker, find a new car for her business. She is looking for a luxury SUV with these top priorities:
    1. Comfort (smooth-riding and roomy)
    2. Safety
    3. Looks (she loves the Lexus look)

    She emphasizes looks, since "the nicer the car, the better for her reputation". Her car is like her office on wheels! Also, she needs an AWD that offers off-road capabilities since most of her showings are on undeveloped land.
    Any suggestions, comments, and advice is truly appreciated!

    When you say "undeveloped land" do you mean dirt trails? Or no roads at all? I think the level of off-road capability might differ based on the answer to that question.

    But, off the top of my head, I'd say Lexus GX460.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    You're probably right, but I think the Jeep Grand Cherokee looks so much better, and all tricked out is a pretty lux vehicle in its own right.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    emilywd said:

    Hello All!

    I am trying to help my mother, a real estate broker, find a new car for her business. She is looking for a luxury SUV with these top priorities:
    1. Comfort (smooth-riding and roomy)
    2. Safety
    3. Looks (she loves the Lexus look)

    She emphasizes looks, since "the nicer the car, the better for her reputation". Her car is like her office on wheels! Also, she needs an AWD that offers off-road capabilities since most of her showings are on undeveloped land.
    Any suggestions, comments, and advice is truly appreciated!

    Just an opinion but I think the Jeep Grand Cherokee is more of an off road vehicle, whereas the Lexus has AWD capability, but isn't really made to go over rugged terraine.

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,924
    edited April 2015
    emilywd said:


    3. Looks (she loves the Lexus look)

    Not sure why/how there is any discussion after that.

    A good set of tires and, as long as she's not rock crawling, I'm sure the Lexus will get her where she needs to go.

    '11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,896
    qbrozen said:

    emilywd said:


    3. Looks (she loves the Lexus look)

    Not sure why/how there is any discussion after that.

    A good set of tires and, as long as she's not rock crawling, I'm sure the Lexus will get her where she needs to go.
    The GX is much more off-road capable than the RX .. I believe the GX is related to the 4Runner under the skin.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    Unless she is an experienced off-road driver, she probably shouldn't be driving anywhere an RX350 can't go..

    But, if she likes the GX460 and can afford it and pay the fuel bills, have at it!

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • I'm with you on this one, Michaell. The Lexus will handle difficult terrain and look decent. Either that or a Range Rover or Discovery Sport. Most SUVs these days are designed for little more than snowy roads and graded dirt roads.
  • emilywdemilywd Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2015
    Michaell said:

    When you say "undeveloped land" do you mean dirt trails? Or no roads at all? I think the level of off-road capability might differ based on the answer to that question.

    But, off the top of my head, I'd say Lexus GX460.

    I mean dirt trails--thank you for pointing that out! And thank you for the suggestion.
    I have also been looking into the Acura MDX and the Mercedes GL series. Thoughts on those?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,896
    emilywd said:

    Michaell said:

    When you say "undeveloped land" do you mean dirt trails? Or no roads at all? I think the level of off-road capability might differ based on the answer to that question.

    But, off the top of my head, I'd say Lexus GX460.

    I mean dirt trails--thank you for pointing that out! And thank you for the suggestion.
    I have also been looking into the Acura MDX and the Mercedes GL series. Thoughts on those?
    If you are talking graded dirt trails, I think most any luxury SUV will be able to handle them.

    I think the Acura is much less expensive than the MB, but not sure if price is an issue here.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • skyisthelimitskyisthelimit Member Posts: 46
    Either a Land Rover or a Ranger Rover
Sign In or Register to comment.