Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Toyota Sienna 2004+

Comments

• broncoguybroncoguy Posts: 39
    tlewis4 states: "The other way to go would be to special order it. However, if you do that, dealers will probably be less willing to negotiate. "

From what I understand, at a time like this, the best way to get a better price is to special order and have a willingness to wait for the vehicle. A vehicle on a lot is a potential new buyer. It is a car that can be test-driven and walked around and have its tires kicked. In a lot of ways it is worth more to the dealership on their lot than it would make for them to sell it. So, if they are going to sell it...they're going to get top dollar.

When a vehicle is overstocked, however, the opposite is true. The dealership has too many in stock and don't want to order a special one. They need to move the inventory they have. The best deals in that situation are buying off-the-lot.

Just my 2 cents, I guess.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    The 2004 Sienna was shown on the Today Show today NBC for being a leader in safety in the minivan market. Its key feature was the three row airbag system.
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    will be the next safety thing in at least most minivans. Ford, which claims theirselfs for a leader in safety, will add to the new Freestar/Monterey a canopy system, which will detect a roll-over.
  • mwaddomwaddo Posts: 30
    After almost buying an Ody for the past 2 years (and I'm a big Honda fan), we've decided the 2004 Sienna is the van for us. The split third row is a huge advantage with 3 kids, and the Sienna has many more safety features.

We are interested in the XLE with Pkg 16, which includes everything except for Nav and 17" Wheels. The list price differnce between this XLE and the Limited with DVD is about $1,400.

Do you think it's worth the xtra ~$1,400 for 17" wheels, HID, Wood steering wheel, laser cruise control, intuitive parking assist, and more chrome all around?

I realize this is a somewhat subjective question, just wondering if people who are looking at a pretty much loaded XLE think it's worth moving up to the Limited.

Thanks in advance.
  • I think Navigation is definitely worth more than Laser Cruise control, Parking Assist, HID. For the price difference, why not up the package to include both DVD RES and NAV? Don't you think the rearview camera in the NAV is worth more than Laser Cruise control and parking assist, which you will most likey not use?
  • montobahnmontobahn Posts: 11
    The Limited also has 4 wheel disk brakes.

The laser cruise is better than I thought it would be. It is not a must have, but if it is there you will use it on city to city trips.
  • kgnw1kgnw1 Posts: 94
    It was worth it to me. I was looking at getting the XLE with GJ package 16. Got a price of $32,000, but really wanted the 17" wheels and the cost to add those after the fact would be outrageous. Also HID lights are nicer and those cost at least $500 to install aftermarket without the lenses or brightness control. Woodgrain steering wheel I could live without, but it's there. Sonar and the Laser Cruise Control are nice to haves and don't really care either way.

You also get the auto-dimming electrochromic driver's side mirror and inside rear view mirror. We got our LTD for $34K with DVD and running boards.
  • danjaecksdanjaecks Posts: 54
    Does anyone know if the side/curtain air bags can be turned off?
    I want to get traction control, but Toyota only sells it with side air bags and curtain air bags. On long trips passengers in our van will sometimes sleep with pillows against the door or side, which sounds dangerous according to this quote from Toyota's web site:
    "... To decrease the risk of injury from a deploying air bag, always wear seatbelts, sit upright in the middle of the seat as far back as possible from the air bag modules and do not lean against the door. ... The force of a deploying air bag may cause serious injury or death. ..."

So, can you turn them off when you want to sleep??
    Thanks.
  • canuck13canuck13 Posts: 73
    I've got the AWD Limited. I drove to the cottage on the weekend in a big snow/ice storm. The laser cruise didn't work very well because the sensors were covered in ice/sand/salt etc on the way there. The cruise still worked but it couldn't detect if someone was in front. On the way home it worked great. It worked much better than I expected. You can set how far back you want to be from the guy ahead. It was not affected by someone passing you in the other lane. It has a little display that shows a picture of a car when it detects someone in front.
    When you approach someone very quickly it reacts very quickly and slows you down very fast..it even sets off an audible alarm and some lights flash. After setting your speed, you can toggle up or down in 5km/hr increments. I was very impressed. The HID lights are also much better that I expected.
  • newcar35newcar35 Posts: 48
    I don't know if you can shut them off or not, but the problem is easily solved by putting a couple of those "c" shapped, inflatable travel pillows in the car. Pop one of those around your neck, recline the seat, and you don't have to lean against the window and get a krick in your neck. Plus, you still get the protection of the side air bags. Win win!
  • zorax2zorax2 Posts: 12
    I (am) and would go with the XLE Limited. My reasoning is that you may find it difficult to find the XLE with the package you want. On the other hand, in the Chicago region, it appears that all XLE FWD Limited models are being built only with package #5 (DVD & Spoiler). Toyota's build schedule may be the real driver behind your decision.

From a pure dollar perspective, the extra "goodies" probably aren't worth the extra money in terms of functionality. However, I enjoy gadgets, my wife thinks they are also neat and therefore, we will be ordering an XLE Limited.

Good luck with your decision!
  • xc90loverxc90lover Posts: 11
    I am expecting my third child and I am torn between the Volvo XC90 and the Toyota Sienna 2004. I really love the XC90, but my husband does not think it is practical for fitting 3+ people, especially in the third row. He believes that the seats are very small and does not fit three kids comfortably. Plus, it is not as easy to get into; you pretty much have to climb up in the third row. He says the Sienna is much easier to get in and out of with very little hassles. Do you agree? When comparing the van vs. the SUV, which one is more practical for kids?
  • acraftonacrafton Posts: 99
    Buddy of mine is buying a XLE Limited and was told by the dealer that no Siena's (and Toyota's in general) have leather installed at the factory but are installed at the 'port'. Since they are built in IL what port are they referring to . . .I have also seen a few postings here that imply leather is added later. Is he being told a line or what? Pls explain . . .

Thanks
    Adam
  • mwaddomwaddo Posts: 30
    I have to agree with your husband, While I am not a fan of trucks, my wife wanted to get an SUV as our next vehicle (we currently have a van). I was concerned about the safety and utility of SUV's. I finally agreed to look at the Pilot, as it's built on a car platform, get's good safty marks, and is reasonably roomy inside.

As soon as my wife saw the third row she knew we were going to buy another van. Not only are the 3rd rows not as roomy, they are very difficult to gain access to, especially if (like us) you have 3 car seats. If you have 2 car seats in the 2nd row, they only way to the 3rd row is climbing or taking 1 of the car seats out. Then you have to figure out how to buckle the kid in who is in the 3rd row. I've seen neighbors open the back of their SUV and buckle in from behind. Just seems like a big pain to me.

We've decided the Sienna (either XLE or Limited, whichever comes in first) is the best solution for a family with 3 kids.

Good luck.
  • bakelly11bakelly11 Posts: 64
    Could someone please tell me what type of gas is recommended for this van?

Thanks!
    Bev
  • jm38jm38 Posts: 27
    I am waitning for the response to Bev because I read on the MSN Carpoint website that the 2004 Sienna needs premium gas. Is this correct?

Thanks Jim
  • dplachtadplachta Posts: 109
    According to the owners manual, 91 octane is the "select" gas. It is not, however, required. I asked the dealer, and she said that this reads the same as all of Toyota's 3.0 L V6's. I never verified that (even though I have a Camry V6).

We've been using 87 octane and had no problems.
  • bakelly11bakelly11 Posts: 64
    I did a comparison on specs between the 03 and the 04 Siennas. According to Edmunds, 03 requires "regular unleaded" and 04 requires "premium unleaded".

I didn't know this. With today's gas prices, this could cost a lot of money.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    It is reccomended. but not required.
  • socal4socal4 Posts: 8
    I am ordering my XLE in a few days. Has anyone seen a Sienna with the spoiler ? How does it look? Does anyone know of a website that shows a picture of the vehicle with the spoiler. I tried the Toyota site but didn't see one.
  • socal4socal4 Posts: 8
    Can anyone tell me the advantages of going with rear disc brakes ? I am in Southern California so weather is not as much of a factor. Is it worth the money to upgrade the package to include this feature.
  • sbell4sbell4 Posts: 446
    for the southeast the port is either in Commerce,Ga. or Jacksonville (West Lake),Fl. Gulf States region also has a port but I do not know where it is located. Either way the port leather is nothing to be concerned about.
  • We have three children and have had both Suv and minivan. While the Suv is great for the sitting up high feeling that most of us have grown to like, and has for driver features, the minivan is the best choice with the children that are still too young to get in and buckle up on their own.
       The minivan for one has sliding doors, so you don't have to worry about the risk of door dings on other cars. Also, I don't know about the rest of you, but this weather has been a big pain lately, with the rain and snow. It sure is nice to be able to get in the vehicle while you are helping the kids with buckling up and putting on their coats.
       kngw1(post 102) where did you get your Limited for 34k?
  • danjaecksdanjaecks Posts: 54
    One advantage is increased fade resistance due to better heat disapation. This might be an issue if you drive in the mountains due to the long downhills. However, one can put the car in a lower gear when going down long slopes to get some engine braking and save the brakes.
    Another advantage may be that drum brakes are more susceptible to water, at least the old ones used to be. Don't know if this is still true anymore.
    Of course, the front brakes which do most of the braking are always disks on modern cars.
    Uhlmann Motors Toyota in Chehalis, WA which is south of Seattle. See my post in "What did you pay?" It is possible to get the new Sienna for under MSRP.
  • jh316jh316 Posts: 3
    I'm ordering XLE/AWD which basically has only two options in my region - 17 (safety) and 18 (entertainment).

Since I have decided to go with the safety option, I would like to find out any available aftermarket DVD entertainment system which is comparable to the one from Toyota.

Thanks!
  • dmmakoskidmmakoski Posts: 72
    The Sienna we have now was special ordered an XLE with cloth seats.

I would like another XLE with: cloth seats, all wheel drive and the clincher, a moon roof.

Possible? it seems the linited is the only model with a moon roof.
    You are looking at the AWD XLE (MSRP $31,465) with XLE option package #5 (CZ) which includes CP and CU for MSRP $2575.

CP includes VSC with traction control/brake assist, rr disc brakes, w/s wiper de-icer, daytime running lamps, and alloy wheels.

CU includes Power moonroof w/sunshade.

CZ includes Driver, front passenger, and side curtain airbags.

This might not be possible to order in the AWD version though.
  • george66george66 Posts: 7
    When Toyotas were built in Japan, Jacksonville, FL was a "Port of Entry" for the southeast. Most a/c was "port installed" to save on customs duties. I just bought a 2004 Sienna LE with leather installed at Southeast Toyota's JAX facility (the "Port"). The leather is very nice and comfortable. The factory shiny black plastic dash/door inserts are cheap though. The Sienna drives well on 87 octane so far- no knocking. It is a delight to drive. Needs a woodgrain dash kit. I would say much better than Honda. My experience with Volvo: keep sitting on your wallet!
  • momstruck1momstruck1 Posts: 206
    Go with the mini van .I had a 2000 Chevy Venture and traded it in for a 2002 Chevy trailblazer now we are in a lease we hate and with three kids a nightmare of a seating arrangement. I am looking in swapping my lease and going with the Toyota or the honda mini-vans . If all goes well this should be soon. If not the hubby will take the truck and i will just get the new van but if you need to seat three kids go with he mini-van . believe me it will make your life a lot easier.
This discussion has been closed.