Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy TrailBlazer Transmission Problems

Comments

• kymommawkymommaw Member Posts: 5
    Mine is a 2002. Wow, what happened? Thank God you and your child wasn't hurt! I don't know how you get on that list but I'd like to get on it too! I'm still not able to drive mine, I've been looking around tryin to find a reliable person to work on it, but for sure it's going to cost an arm an a leg. I wish it were just a sensor or something simple but I don't believe that it is. My husband thinks it will cost around 2500.00 to have it fixed! Errrrrrr, not good but I love the trailblazer and I haven't even driven it that much! Can you update me on what is wrong with yours? I haven't been on here since I posted the first time. I'm new to this site and I'm learning alot of all the problems that people are having with there trailblazers? We bought it used ofcourse, but it's in mint condition, well except for the problem with the transmission but mine won't go out of first gear, and it roars up too! I'm pretty upset about it cause I can't travel to see my grandbabies'!
  • kymommawkymommaw Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2002 also, my husband says that it's the tranny. It won't go out of first gear, roars really load and I had to creep home when this happened. What are planetary gears. We have all highway miles on ours too. It's in mint condition but this. I really need some advice here. I know it's probably cost some money to have it fixed but you know the labor is the worst expense so is there anything I can do that can help me maybe get around the diagnostic exspense? Help me please...Thanks! :sick:
  • mstarr13mstarr13 Member Posts: 15
    If you want to get a run down on the gears take a look at the site HowStuffWorks and look up automatic trransmission. I gives a great summary for normal folks, which is what I used when i was told by my dealerhsip that the sun gear had all its teeth sheared off at 35,000 miles.
    They tried everything they could to get out of paying their portion of the bill too. Played on the whole towing thing, I had the sales manager I bough ti from come in and tell their services guy how he used the built in towing package as a sales point and had docs to show my trailed WELL below the towing specs.
    When it went, i was driving along and at about 50 mph when it went to shift into the next gear, there was a bang and it felt like I hit something. Then most gears were gone (including reverse). Then It did a lot of whining, accelerated like crap, would not shift at all, I had to manually shift it. I drove it home, then to the dealership (about 5 miles total). I If this is what happened to you, it will not be cheap to fix. I like the TB model but I can say, I will not be buying any more Chevy's. The suport Chevy has given me (or lack thereof), and the obvious lack of quality in their vehicles as evident on this board has turned me off from them and they are all I have EVER owned.
  • ldavis120702ldavis120702 Member Posts: 3
    Where do I start- at 27,700 miles my vehicle stalled out when I was pulling out onto a major hwy here on the east on of South Carolina (accident #1). A/C nor heat have never worked. 30,755 again the engine became sluggish and the engine light came on again. Less than two hundred miles lost steering while driving! 41,205 the speedomoter began to go backwards- start at 110 miles per hour. The last straw was at 44,000 miles once again the vehicle stalled and lost power while I was turning off the same hwy causing the car coming straight had to swerve to keep from hitting me on the side where my two year old was seating in his car seat. In tears I called my husband to come and drive the car home. The next day I was told I need a new transmission. I have been with out a vehicle since Aug. 30th. GM has left me on choice but to contact my lawer. Hope you get to see your grandkids soon!
  • pdewittpdewitt Member Posts: 3
    I have a question for someone, my TB is a 2002 used it has about 103,000 miles on it so we are really lucky, but today when I was backing out of my driveway and I put it in drive to go forward and heard a clunk! and it wouldn't go anywhere, forward or reverse. After awhile I could pull it back in the driveway (where I left it) and was wondering I know its the transmission (at least I think) I even seen a little red fluid in the road where I had stopped. Anyone know what it is? We also bought ours used it had 46,000 on it when we purchased it in 04' and we still have 1 1/2 year to pay on it, we also have a problem woth the map lights (they don't work) I asked the gm dealer and they said it woudl cost $80 to just look at it. $$$$$$$$$$$$ that is all that GM is about. The past few months we have had something going on with it, we just thought it needed a new fuel filter cause when you get around 45mpd it was like it was starving for gas, but I realize now DUHHHH! that it was probably the transmission. If anyone has any suggestion it would be greatly appreciated. Is it possible to take they to congress for a recall? ;o) :mad:
  • ldavis120702ldavis120702 Member Posts: 3
    Sounds like transmission to me. My problems started at 26,000 miles. If it was me I would look on the driver side door and see were your TB was made and the date. Then search the internet for problems at that plant during that same time. Then I would check the number on the transmission to see if anyone else has had problems with that same one. Let me know if I can help in any other way. Between my husband and I we've had 8 chevy's in the past 13 years and this is the first to ever give us a problem. I've request GM take the vehicle back and I would buy another chevy that was in Aug. My two year old roded in this car everyday and on the 30th of Aug. an oncoming car almost hit us when my car lost power turning. Good Luck!
    A good thing to invest in for your TB, if you are going to keep it is a Haynes manual. For smaller stuff like maplights, O2 sensors, and stuff you can fix with tools you usually find in any home, it can save you some serious cash and allow you to fix stuff yourself. At least one of the auto part stores out there also will check your diagnostic codes (when the service engine soon light comes on) for free. The dealership here charges $70 just to check the code.
    All that being said, it certainly sound like your transmission. I feel for you. It is sickening. Mine has already been fixed and feels like it is going again. I will never understand GMs approach to these fixes. This is their golden opp to nake customers for life. What they have done instead is turn lifelong GM customers to other manufacturers. I have a Dodge Minivan, and their service is awesome. I will be likely replacing my TB with a Toyota in a year or so.
    Find yourself a good transmission shop (not one with a commercial, they always cost too much), and have it looked at. It will NOT be a cheap fix. I just refuse to go to a dealership anymore. Costs way to much and they generally will do nothing to help you out.
    Yep, we took the TB in and it is the tranny, I guess the anti-trans (coolant) line (?) rusted away and the trans itself burned up inside. Cost is going to be between $1100 to $1300, (for a soft rebuild) It is the L460E Trans. it is a lighter one the guy said. I guess we are kinda lucky, I mean we have over 100,000 miles on it and it really endanger us like it did some of you guys, but I thought these cars now a days were made to last, NO? I want to Thank you for your help. This is really helpful, and I will keep in contact with this site. Thanks again. Happy New Year ;)
  • 04ltguyandgirl04ltguyandgirl Member Posts: 15
    hi all. im new here.

well i have a 2004 tb LT not the extended, meduim red

never had any transmission problems(knock on wood)

i had the transmission services and flushed(with new filter, gaskets) every 15,000 miles for about $125

i have towed my neon up and down hills for over 500 miles, i have had the fluid checked periodically, and never any problems and i have 65,000 miles now

i bought this tb from a dealership that isnt gm certified but dealership certified

i did not choose to buy an extended warranty (i thought it was bs) since they go bankrupt anyway

the only problem i had was the speedo and had the ipc relaced at 34,000 since i only had the remaining fact warrany

also....i have the same name on chevyforum and discuss the same trailblazer topics
    I am curious, can you check your manufacture date and location? My grandfather bought his 1 month after mine and he has had awesome luck with it. He is at 120,000 and never had anything serious except the climate computer. He has even crashed his like 3 times so you wouldn't be surprised if he started having issues. I have friends how have had the TB with the same problem as me too. So I am wondering if it is a specific plant or something weird.
    One thing you probably want to do though...unless they fixed it with the 04, you will want to go out and buy about half a dozen brake light bulbs and keep them in your vehicle. I replace the left one every 2-3 months. Everyone i know with a 02 has the same problem. I have even had the entire fixture replaced under warranty 3 times.
    PRODUCTION DATE JAN 2004

MORAINE OHIO

I DO PLAN ON HAVING THE TRANSMISSION TORN DOWN AND INSPECTED

AT 80,000 MILES. EVEN THOUGH THERES NOTHING WRON WITH IT, THAT

WAY I CAN SEE WHAT IS WORN INSIDE THE TRANSMISSION AND HAVE

THOSE PARTS REPLACED IF NECESSARY.

ALSO I WILL GET A LIFETIME WARRANTY ON THE TRANNY FROM AAMCO

NO PROBLEMS WITH THE LIGHT BULBS OR ANY OTHER ELECTRICAL
  • islandgirltwoislandgirltwo Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 trailblazer, bought used with 40k, did not purchase the extended warranty of course. Was backing out of the driveway, heard an awful "banging" noise, it did not hardly want to go in reverse, when it finally did and I shifted into drive, it felt like the rear wheel was locking up...Had it towed to the transmission place and I am now looking at $2000.00!!! Is there not a recall on these tranny's, or can we do something about it??
  • mcconemccone Member Posts: 2
    A weird thing happened to me today and I am hoping someone will be able to help me out. I went to start up my truck tonight and the headlights will not turn on. My parking lights and high beams will work but not the headlights. I dont think it is a fuse because both the driver and passenger are out. Any suggestions??
  • momx2girlsmomx2girls Member Posts: 1
    :lemon: I have a 2005 TB tranny went out 3 days b4 Christmas for 2nd time this year 70,000 miles ( I bought it brnad new 2 years ago). GM gave me a goodwill warranty in March 07 and I paid only $250 when the dealer wanted $1,700. Now the exact same thing is wrong (Sunshell gear) and the dealer will not make good on the part and I am waiting to hear back from GM. GM knows this is a problem with the 2002 seems to be with the 2005 as well but they won't admit it I have read this all over the internet. Good luck!
  • trailradertrailrader Member Posts: 1
    Since there are so many issues with these trans, I want to replace my trans with a 2007. Does anyone know if a 2007 will be a direct swap out or is there some differences. The reason I ask is I need to rebuild my trans now because of the sun shell issues and I dont want to have to keep on fixing. Any info would be great thanks
    THE BEST THING TO DO IS TO JUST REBULD THE EXISTING TRANNY. NO NEED TO GET A 2007 BECAUSE THEIR COULD BE MORE COSTS INVOLVED

IF YOU LOOK INTO UPGRADING TO A BETTER REBUILD KIT ($250) GO TO A TRANNY SHOP AND ASK IF THEY HAVE A LIFETIME WARRANTY WITH NATIONWIDE COVERAGE
    HOW MANY MILES DID THE TRANNY GO OUT THE 1ST TIME? WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM? WAS IT DUE TO OVERHEATING? DID YOU FLUSH THE FLUID EVERY 20K MILES?
    WELL, I HAVE BEEN READING ALL THEESE POSTS AND I AM ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH MY TRANNY.

I FEEL FOR ALL OF YOU WHO ARE HIT WITH $2000 REPAIR BILLS?

IF YOU DO HAVE YOUR TRANNY REBUILT, PLEASE MAINTAIN IT BY HAVING THE FLUID FLUSHED AND REPLACE THE FILTER EVERY 20K MILES

THAT WAY THE MECHANIC CAN SEE INTO THE BOTTOM OF YOUR PAN AND SEE IF THERE IS METAL SHAVINGS, WHICH IS A WARNING SIGN

EVEN IF YOUR TRANNY RUNS FINE NOW, IF YOU CAN SPEND THE 700-1000 TO HAVE IT COMPLETELY TORN DOWN AND INSPECTED FOR DAMAGE.

UNLESS YOU PLAN ON TRADING IT IN OR PARKING IT IN A RIVER
  • newchevhtrnewchevhtr Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2004 tb ext when i go to get on the highway and i yield before i actually get on the tranny feels like it drops out of gear and really quick it drops hard into gear. i have 45216 miles on mine i bought it new other then that i love my tb rides excellent eats tires up like crazy surprisingly i just put new brakes for the 1st time all the way around back ones were shot and front ones had half the pad left . at about 10K my instrument cluster had to be replaced gauges were going crazy.maybe i should just dump it before i have major problems i can guarantee it will be the last gm product i ever buy i own 1996 toyota and have 198,000 miles and i probably put between 700.00 - 900.00 in repairs in the last 6 monthes and the car runs excellent . i do have 1 more gripe about my TB sticker said i would get 16/20 MPG im lucky if i get 13MPG is this normal for a TB EXT
    Man, this sounds just like me. I was doing the same thing, mine is also an 02, and mine is blue, but we have 100,00 miles on ours. It cost us $1895.00 to get ours fixed, we just got it back on Sat. the 5th. So far so good. You would think GM would do a recall, there are so many with the same problem. And they wonder why Toyota is the #1 car here in the US.
    Any problem with your dash lights, or map lights?
    Good Luck
  • carsinvtcarsinvt Member Posts: 6
    I realize that the entry you made is now old, but I just encountered it. How did GM do on their part in your module replacement issue? I was told, (in writing)that my 02 Envoy also needed a module also. It's been over 1 yr. The cars been sitting for much of the time.
  • cgmarkocgmarko Member Posts: 1
    my tb has only 62,000 miles onit and the transmission broke. also, before the vehicle was even 5 yrs old my drivers side heated seat quit working, the thermometer always says it 50 degrees if its over 50, it works somewhat when temps are under. also our towing lights dont work any more. after paying over 30k for this vehicle, it really angers me. i will never ever again buy a gm product. in fact, i am considering a nissan. :sick:
  • sparkling12sparkling12 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a used trailblazer 3 months ago. I noticed my services engine came on. I took it back to the dealer and they told me nothing was wrong. They reset the computer. Well, it came on again. AGAIN, I took it back and thy told me the computer was not picking up any codes. Well, they reset it!
    PROBLEM: I noticed a loud noise coming from my truck, then it began shifting unusally. Brought it back, they cold not help me!
    THIS IS THE CASE: When I purchase it, they (salesman & supervisor) made it clear that I had a warranty for 60,000 miles. If it gives me trouble, bring it back and they will fix it! Now, its making a noise. Brought it back, they told me they could not help me because I did not have a warranty! Looked in computer for warranty, it did not show a yes/no! I know what was explained to me by both of them! I know what the lady explained as I signed the paperwork! HOW? I ASKED ALL OF THEM SEVERAL TIMES FOR CLARIFICATION! I WOULD NOT HAVE PURCHASED THE TRUCK WITHOUT IT!
    I took it to a friend to put on the computer. It read transmission compound slipping! Could it have read this when I first took it there? Can someone help me? Please give me some advice? I've had my trucks for 3 months! It has 46, 000 miles!
  • sparkling12sparkling12 Member Posts: 2
    I'm somewhat having the same problem. I have a 2004 Traliblazer and I noticed my transmission dropped out of gear! NOW, its making a noise! PLEASE READ MY REVIEW (sparkling12)! I bought it used and hadit for 3 months! ANY ADVICE?
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Did you read the contract before signing, and if so, did it have any reference to a 60,000 mile warranty? Also, is it possible that the previous owner had an extended warranty on it that should have been transferred to you?
  • nanny706nanny706 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Trailblazer LS. I bought it used from a dealer. Lucky for me my husband also bought the extended warranty, because my transmission dropped this weekend on the way to my brothers. You WOULD think that if there have been so many Tranny problems with this model GM WOULD and SHOULD DO a recall. I owned a 88 blazer through out high school and college and never had a problem. But I doubt I'll ever buy another Chevy if this is the quality of the cars. :(
  • skirshen68105skirshen68105 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Trailblazer I have been getting around 17 to 18mpg on highway. I'm running Castrol Full Synthetic 5W-30 oil. Your fuel mileage can also be affected by your gear ratio. I have a 3.73 gear ratio and live in Douglas,WY. Look in your glove compartment GT4 is 3.73 gear ration and GU6 is 3.42 gear ratio. I also run 87 octane fuel and buy my fuel at Conoco. Go to toptiergas.com and find gas stations to stay with. Another thing you can try is get a cold air intake, go to autoanything.com and take a look at the Volant cold air intake.
  • kamnebkamneb Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I am new here and looking for your kind support, I have 4x4 2003 LS Trailblazer 4x4, since long time about two years till now I am facing problem with my blazer, the problem in the 4x4 transmission when I turn on the switch to mode 4x4 H or L I hear the transmission engage sound that means there is no problem but the front while doesn’t work, and at the same time when I turn the switch to Auto Mode the front while are working as normal.

Any one have the same problem and what hi did to solve the problem.
    :sick:
  • motomamotoma Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 chev. trailblazer transmission just blew out on road in wyoming at 20 below zero my 17 yr. old son was driving. Thank goodness someone helped him, people have been known to freeze to death here. Loud noise then grinding noise and no reverse, second or 4th gears. kaput it was broke. My Chevy only had 51,000 miles on it. Researched this problem seems GM knows about the problem but refuses to initiate a Recall so the consumers buying their vehicles will have to pay the repairs which cost me 3,420.00! I did call GM and they gave me a $1,000.00 which I appreciated but felt they could have met me half way since the part they use in these transmission is called Sunshell and its made of very thin metal which the V6 engine in these cars have way too much tork for that part in the transmission and it cracks it and eventually just blows out. They replaced the transmission but I will be darned if I cant find out what part they used in the rebuilt transmission? they just dont know- hmmmmm Well I have had 9 general motors vehicles and this will be my last one. Going to Toyota- and they wonder why were not buying american any more. For those of you out there that have the chevy trailblazer get educated on the transmission problems and get rid of it.
  • jazzmojazzmo Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 trailblazer. After about 4 months I noticed that the transmission was slower to kick in. I'd step on the gas, after a second the transmission would kick in and sometimes with a loud "clank" sound.

I took it in, they said there was nothing wrong BUt durinhg the test drive with the shop manager, it was gone. They must have done something to fix it.

Anyway the same thing happened again a few months later and to this day still does this. Any ideas?
  • dluckendlucken Member Posts: 3
    I just had to rebuild the front differential on my 2004 Trailblazer at a cost of $2,098! Miller Chev said the cause was different brands of tires between the front and back (not different size). I had to replace the rear tires recently and bought the same tires as originally installed. I then had to replace the front tires shortly after that but couldn’t buy the same tires because they had been discontinued. I had a mixed set of tires on the vehicle that were very new. A few months later some terrible noise was heard when I shifted in A4WD. The road conditions were slippery – snowy. It seems to me that if the 4WD system on the Trailblazer is so sensitive to different tires GM should say so. People (like me) could avoid the possibility of that kind of problem.

Also, Miller Chev has a sign prominently posted above their service area that says they are not satisfied unless the customer is satisfied. I'm certainly not satisfied. While my complaint has more to do with Chevrolet than them, they could do more to get GM to be truthful about the tire requirements for the Trailblazer. There isn't anything in my Trailblazer manual to suggest the potential problem.

How about other 4WD vehicles?
    In my opinion they fed you a load of crap. What was the actual problem with the differential? I mean, did they give you any idea what actually failed in it?
    The repair bill states: Found side bearings pitted excessive, causing noise pinion bearing starting to pit. replaced side bearings and pinion bearing and resealed case. Total part bill: $542.

I tend to agree with you. Probably the easiest excuse to deflect my irrititation. I will follow up with the BBB but am not too hopeful.
    Did they mention anything about water being in the differential? Or the lubricant was low?
    First, I would call the dealer rep at GM. They are flat out lying to you. I went through my owners manual (I have an 02) no where in there does it say anything about the tire issue and making sure they all are the same brand. Since every other car I have ever owned worked fine a reasonable person would assume this one would too. The dealer rep can jump on the dealership for their dishonesty. If neither can help you, go to the BBB and file a formal complaint with your state attorney general's office against GM AND the dealership. Also, shoot some emails out to your local news stations, you might get lucky and get one of them to take up your cause for a story. When both the BBB and the AG call them, they will give you want you want just to shut you up.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's what the Tire Rack says about mixing tires.

Subaru doesn't recommend mixing tires on their AWD systems, because of the powertrain. They put that info in the owner's manual I think.
  • m1lkmanm1lkman Member Posts: 1
    Not all car manufacturers put it in their service manuals as subaru does, but the general rule on 4WD vehicles, especially AWD vehicles is to replace ALL four tires at the same time using the same brand of tire. Even with new tires, sizes vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer, even if the size on the tires say they are the same, there can be a quarter inch or more in diameter difference which will cause havoc with your drive train. Same thing when buying two tires now and the other two 5000 miles later. the diameter of the tires needs to be the same for the drive train to operate correctly. This is also necessary for your ABS and Stabilitrac systems to work safely. Each wheel on the vehicle has a sensor which tells the vehicle how fast they are rotating. The vehicles computer needs to "see" that all four wheels are rotating at the same time for the two aforementioned systems to work properly and safley. Hope this info helps.
    Thanks for responding. There wasn't any mention of water or low oil but in discussions the service mgr said low oil was a possibility.
  • powella1powella1 Member Posts: 5
    How did you confirm they know of this? I am having the same problem - my 04 has completely shut down on me while driving twice and then twice has just dropped out of gear while driving. When towed in they tell me they can't find any problem - can't get it to repeat it and give it back to me. Its fine for a few months and then it happens again. I have a feeling they know exactly what it is but are told by GM that unless they can actually observe the problem - not to do anything about it. I would love to find out how often this is happening and confronting them with that information.
  • robiedrobied Member Posts: 4
    Hi..I am new to this forun but looking for help. I tried to back out of a parking space last night only to find I had no reverse. I was able to drive over the parking lot blocks to get out. I checked fluid (it was low) - replaced it and started to drive again. No reverse still....Now it is taking a long time to shift gears. This is an automatic transmission on a 4 wheel drive trailblazer with approx 91000 miles. Never had any problems or warnings before. Does anyone know what is up with this? Mechanic is unavailable this weekend. :cry:
    The same think happened to me recently. I didn't have the option to drive over the blocks - so had it towed to the dealer. When the dealer called me they asked me what was wrong as they could not find anything the matter with it. They kept it for two days - drove it alot - no repeat. This is same pattern I have had with this transmission. A guy in service told me that the transmission was starting to go bad on it, that this kind of thing could happen intermittently then be fine for several months only to repeat. If you let the car sit for a while, move the transmission through the gears slowly a few times - it will eventually just go away on its own.
  • shawnee1shawnee1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Trailblazer with 91,000 miles. I just replaced the transmission. I travel dirt roads and cross a creek every work day. I was told the water had done the damage. Anyway, I had the transmission and the catalytic converter replaced. Now, however, it shifts from first to second very hard and one second later shifts again. I have taken it back to AAMCO twice and they tell me there isn't a problem. They reprogram it and the hard shifting seems to get worse before it gets a little better. Freeway driving is fine, but when I drive around town with frequent stops the shifting gets worse. Does anyone know what the problem can be. Reprogramming doesn't help and now my check engine light comes on about a week after it has been reprogrammed...something about an 02 sensor???? What is my next step? Buy a new car??????
  • robiedrobied Member Posts: 4
    I replaced my CO2 sensor about 90,000 miles. At 91,000 miles, the transmission failed. I have the actual part that failed...it is the sun gear? or sun shield. Not sure what it is called. But it is a manufacturing defect that GM is evidently aware of but hasn't issued a recall on.
  • toddmaraleetoddmaralee Member Posts: 1
    I just started to have the same problem with my 03. Did you replace all 4 tires and have it work?
    Yes they are VERY aware of it. I went to a dealership recently just looking at what they had, I had an interesting chat with the sales guy in which he actually talked to the newer TBs and used a newer transmission design as a sales point, cause those old one's "were always breaking". Makes you wonder what they will say about the ones being sold now in 5 years.

You know they wonder why they are having trouble and losing customers to Toyota and the others...
    "he actually talked to the newer TBs and used a newer transmission design as a sales point" Hmmmm......Is there any one out there aware of a new trans in these models? If so it's news to me. Of course I would take whatever the salesman says with a grain of salt.
  • thebigchillthebigchill Member Posts: 1
    I've read many of your reviews online of which I've had the same problem: the sun shell on the TrailBlazer. Most of you on here have the same problem and symptoms of the broken down sunshell. While we all would like to think the sunshell is defective and a recall should be in place, we have to remember the hundreds of thousands of units on the market that are perfectly fine. We are speaking to one another in a closed forum all with the same problem, but in reality we are a fraction of one percent of the TrailBlazer's on the market that have the problem. With that being said, I recently picked my TrailBlazer (which has 79,000 miles) up from my local Chevy dealership after receiving goodwill assistance. The goodwill assistance has nothing to do with calling the GM service center. They are the "go between" you and the dealership to make it look like they are the party helping you when in reality goodwill assistance is determined strictly by your dealership. If you receive assistance (as an example, 50% split on the repair cost), it is coming from the dealer. If you do not receive assistance, the denial is coming strictly from the dealer. The Chevy dealerships receive X amount of dollars each year to provide "goodwill assistance", but they approve whether or not they are going to help. Calling a GM 800 number is no assistance. I called GM and the service rep at my dealership flat out told me it is no use. If you want goodwill assistance you have to ask the dealership for it. I was able to get a new sunshell for $660, which would normally run $1,400 to $1,800. They treated me well. The TrailBlazer runs better than ever. Good luck to all.
  • lbrandy40lbrandy40 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, just came across this website looking for other people that had a problem with this. I was going to get my hair done yesterday and went around a corner and heard a strange noise, then I noticed my trailblazer shifting weird. Then pulled into a parking spot and went to straighten up and bamm, no reverse. Can anyone tell me what I should do? Do I take it to a dealer or to a transmission shop? I am just dumb founded here that there has been this many problems and GM hasn't done anything about it. I only have a little over 60,000 miles on the darn thing! I want to shoot it! Happy 4th of July!
    The likely problem is that if you have it towed to dealer, they won't be able to find the problem. this is an intermittent, unpredictable issue and if they can't actually observe the problem - they will either give it back to you untouched for they will find something to fix - but it won't be the transmission. This will increase with frequency over time. Either have the transmission replaced - even though it appears to be ok or try to sell it - I usually have a couple of months between problems.

I have no idea what the guy above is talking about regarding a sun shell....
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Usually a sun shell refers to the gear housing, as in a shell for the sun or planetary gears in a transmission.