Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Saab 9-2X

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    227 HP for $19,425...

Wow...

Too bad I don't need a car...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    banabana Member Posts: 1
    I've just got a 92x Aero with the tips from this forum. Great info! Could someone whom owns the Aero answer my question regarding the power window switch? there are 4 buttons at the driver's door that control each of the 4 windows. But only one out of 4 button has a green illumination light. The passenger's as well as the backseat's power window switch also do not have illumination at the switch. Kindly pls advise rather this is the same with your Aero. many thanks.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Prices are the real deal, Fitzmall.com has 2 Aeros for that exact price, and a 3rd still under $20 grand. So you can find cars without options at that price. Wow.

-juice
  • Options
    harbachjharbachj Member Posts: 51
    The prices are actually a bit better than last month even though the HotButton rebate is gone. I paid just a tad over $20K for an Aero manual with cold package. Current pricing would put it at just under $20K. Either way over $8K off MSRP is an amazing deal. Note that supplies are running out, so grab this if your are in the market. My dealer checked the stock at the port and told we what was available at that time. I got to pick the exact car I wanted and had in less than 1 week.

Jim
  • Options
    The dealer I talked to last week, said he would get no more 9-2Xs, unless he requested one that was already at port.. He also said that no more '05s would be coming into port.. What was at port and the dealers would be it..

He also said that normal Saab buyers don't buy the 9-2X.. He said most of his buyers were typical japanese make shoppers, and that he had sold quite a few to Subaru shoppers. (there is a Sube dealer right down the road).

He didn't sound like he would be sorry if the 9-2X went away.. But, you know.. those Saab people are a little different... ;)

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    I sincerely hope the 9-2x don't go away. I like the Subaru engineering and standard AWD but don't like the looks very much. Plus the warranty is shorter. I've had three Saabs in the past, so I might be considered a Saab guy. When my current leases expire, I'd be looking at both 9-2x and 9-6x for myself and wife, respectively. I am one of few that are willing to pay a little extra $ over Subaru versions for it.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Same here. Too bad I bought my car earlier. $25,800 for 255 HP...

If I needed a car now, I'd be all over the 9-2X...
  • Options
    They can't be making a profit at that price. Question is who is losing money, FHI for building it, or GM for subsidizing it.

Though I'll be honest, if the 9-6x looks better and eventually prices go below Tribeca prices, heck yeah I'd consider one. No doubt.

-juice
  • Options
    GM is losing all of the money... I'm sure FHI gets the same amount for the 9-2X as the WRX (taking into account content differences).

I was wondering about something else, though...

In the GM Employee or Supplier plan, there is a dealer reserve, where GM pays the dealer a set amount on the car that is sold through the plan.. It is right on the Saab invoice..

The 9-2X invoice that the dealer showed me, had a dealer reserve of around $1400 on a $32K MSRP. This was the amount that the dealer would make, if sold under the Employee purchase plan.. (which is a tidy gross profit, BTW).

Now, I know everyone is getting the Employee price, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the deals are the same as the Employee purchase plan.. IOW, I guess it is possible that there is some other kind of dealer cash to make up for the below invoice price, and that there might be more room to bargain.. If they are making $1400, but don't have to stick to the Employee price, some dealers might be willing to cut that down another $500-$1000 to move them off the lots.

Of course, if the deals have to be run through the program, then that wouldn't be possible, but something tells me that is not the case..

Am I bad? For trying to get even more than $8600 off MSRP? :P

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ;-)

Wonder if they have to stick to a one price philosophy? It would go against that if they were allowed to discount more.

-juice
  • Options
    The 1 Price philosophy pretty much fits.

Most of the time, that's how employee pricing works. There's a set price, and all eligible people pay that exact price.

In this case, since everybody is theoretically eligible, everybody pays the same price on the same car.

So if Bob wanted to buy a stripped,9-2X Linear, it'd cost $16,821, before taxes.

If his friend Jim wanted to buy the same exact car, it'd also cost $16,821, before taxes.
  • Options
    scootertrash2scootertrash2 Member Posts: 71
    I really wanted one of these.
    With the current incentives, a Red, Aero was going to be $19,425.
    That's just too cheap to pass up!

But, I don't fit. I'm not abnormally large; just over 6 feet.
    There is no way for me to get comfortable.
    With the seat back all the way, and the backrest angled back uncomfortably, My arms are either too long or that steering wheel is too close.

Maybe all the room in my Scion xB has me spoiled, but sadly the 9-2X just won't work.

...and I was looking to a 4 second improvement 1/4 mile times...
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955
    Really? I wonder if the adjustments are different than the WRX I test drove when they first came out. I was surprised to find that I fit very comfortably (6'5").

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    That impression was based on sitting in the one in the showroom.
    They will have one available to drive later today or tomorrow and I'll see if it's too small or just different then the huge Scion xB I'm used to.
  • Options
    harbachjharbachj Member Posts: 51
    There is a posting in saabnet.com from a Saab salesman that Aero's with manual transmission may be gone. If you are interested and find one I would grab it. The rumour is that there will be no turbo 9-2X for 2006, only the non-turbo 2.5, upgraded in HP like the Impreza.

Jim H.
  • Options
    That's what GM's PDF file for fleet buyers mentioned.

Of course GM tends to round HP number to the nearest 5hp increment. Subaru states 173hp for the Forester and I bet it's the same engine.

xB has phenomenal passenger room, the rear seat is roomier than the Lexus LS430. No hump and a softer middle seat, too.

9-2x will have more luggage space, though, because the xB's rear seat nearly touches the rear hatch.

-juice
  • Options
    wolftimwolftim Member Posts: 34
    The power window illumination is just the same on my car. this is so at night you can distinguish between the drivers window control and the others. The other windows do not need illuminated switches because there is only one on each door.
  • Options
    stocktonstockton Member Posts: 8
    :surprise: $23,784. This is what I’m paying for a 92x Linear “delivered” fully loaded (cold weather pkg, auto trans, premium package with leather and power moonroof), taxes, registration, plates…etc, included. Tell me if this is a great deal or what?!?! This is in NJ.
    Anyone here getting a better deal? I’m curios.
  • Options
    That sounds like a great price.

I don't think anybody is getting a better deal because GM is running that "Employee Discount For Everyone" campaign, so everybody is paying the same price, except for taxes, title, and tags.

I wish I could pull the trigger on a loaded 9-2X Linear... But I bought a car in February.. :(
  • Options
    purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    The thread on fatwallet.com is huge. I traded in a 1 year old Honda Element. This deal was too good to be passed up. Im loving my $18745 Aero 5 speed with cold. I still cant believe juice hasnt jumped in. I bought mine last month using the $500 Saab/Salomon ski certificate discount.
  • Options
    I need a bigger car. My wife complains that the Forester (Sandy) is too small!

I think she'd have me killed if I came home in a 9-2x. ;-)

We might actually keep the Forester and trade her Legacy in on a Tribeca. Or a Saab 9-6x if the price is lower after rebates. LOL

That way she drives the big car, we're both happy. I prefer smaller cars.

Even then, I think I'd rather trade in my Miata for something newer and keep my loyal friend Sandy.

-juice
  • Options
    I wish. I don't have the space in my garage (I already have to park a car outside) and adding a 4th car would make things worse.

Having put 0 down on my I35, I'm upside down on it.(I owe nearly $26,000 and KBB has its value pegged at $24,600) Which is OK for me, since I plan to keep it for a long, long, time, and I only financed it for 36 months, so I probably won't grow tired of it soon.

And I'm on vacation right now and won't be back until after July 5th. So I missed my chances...

If GM extends it, I might have a chance. My wife is planning to start a small business and wants to use a car for "business purposes" (even though her profession doesn't really require commuting). Since she likes smaller cars, a 9-2X would be perfect as a company car.

Do you think GM will extend the program?
  • Options
    Good question. I wonder how much it boosted sales.

One thing I like is that everyone pays the same, no haggling. You could end up with happier customers at the dealers, more likely to come back for their next car.

But...people do like to haggle, and for those not being able to get a deal for even $1 less than their neighbor might have turned them away.

-juice
  • Options
    It doesn't really matter that much.. Almost everyone has a trade.. So, there are constant variables..

"I got mine a lot cheaper, because they gave me $1000 more than my trade was worth!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I normally don't trade in my cars- I sell them seperately after I buy the new one. Makes buying cars a lot less complicated..

I have traded cars before, and it made the buying process a lot more of a headache...

I don't think the Saab dealer would take my 99 Civic as a trade-in if I decide to buy...
  • Options
    But they'd give you $500 and then wholesale it out at an auction.

Sell it privately, indeed.

-juice
  • Options
    Guys need your help here. A few days ago I posted about how happy I was buying a new 92X Linear for $23,784 fully loaded. At first I really thought I hit the nail in the head. However some of you were skeptical of my deal (in other words the car was too expensive)
    I have not seen the sticker price of “my new car” because this particular dealer does not have it in stock but is able to get it from somewhere else, however here I’ll be talking about the invoice price based on Edmunds.com and the price I will be paying.
    I was given the above price including all taxes (NJ 6%), fees, title, plates, etc.
    The Linear has a base price of $16,821 with nothing in it (based on saabusa.com and edmunds.com). I’ve opted to by all packages and these include:
    $ 1,238 auto trans
    $ 552 cold weather pkg
    $ 2,295 premium pkg
    $ 1,104 pwr moonroof
    $ 695 dest. charge

So, base price of $16,821 + $5,189 (all the options) = $22,010
    $22,010 + $695 = $22,705
    $22,705 + $1,660 (tax rounded up including the rebate) = $24,355
    So, invoice price + tax (minus fees, title, plates, etc.) = $24,355 and I’m paying
    $23,784 (delivered). Why is this bad? It is below invoice.

Now, I persuaded my dealer even more I asked for four more options which he agreed to install: (wheel locks $26, rubber cargo mat $55, rear cup holder $28 and armrest extension $119). Dealer installed options amount to $228.

Reason for posting this is that I keep reading that on top of the $5000Linear or $6000Aero GM discount there would be another $2000/3000 rebate. What am I doing wrong here? Has anyone bought a similar Saab? How much you paid? I’m open to advice.

Thanks.
  • Options
    I plan to keep the Civic and drive it till the wheels fall off. (which could be a very long time)
  • Options
    saaboysaaboy Member Posts: 23
    I play to keep the 900s and drive it till the wheels fall off, as well. (which could be an even longer time)
  • Options
    sellaturcicasellaturcica Member Posts: 145
    I was quoted a 2005 Aero at Saab of Milford CT with Sport package withMoonroof, manual transmission, cold weather package for $21,600. Apparently there are no 9-2x Aero with Sport Package/Premium, so you have to choose one or the other.
    This is a better deal than the Linear.

Nick
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    stockton, here are the GM Employee Prices including rebates:

Base Linear GM employee pricing -------------> $16,821 ($20,996 + $695 Transportation + $130 Prep$Handling - $5000 rebate)
    Automatic GM employee price -------------------> $1,188
    Moonroof GM employee price -------------------->$1,056
    Cold package GM employee price -------------> $528
    Premium package GM employee price ------->$2,196

So, for the Linear that you are interested in, it would be:

$16,821 + $1,188 + $528 + $2,196 + $1,056 = $21,789.00 not $22,010
    And the $695 is already included in the $16821 base price, the dealer should not be adding it again.

$21,789 + $1307 tax = $23,096.04 should be the price. The difference might be the $695 destination fee charged twice.
  • Options
    I was quoted a 2005 Aero at Saab of Milford CT with Sport package withMoonroof, manual transmission, cold weather package for $21,600. Apparently there are no 9-2x Aero with Sport Package/Premium, so you have to choose one or the other.
    This is a better deal than the Linear.

The Aero is a better deal in general, especially if the Linear is equipped with the $2196 premium package. However, if the preference is for an automatic tranny, it is believed that for daily driving, the Linear with automatic is better than the Aero with automatic. I have yet to drive an Aero with auto so I cannot formulate a personal opinion regarding its driving characteristics. And the Aero requires premium gas. With petroleum prices hitting another all-time of $58, it will be cheaper to own the Linear.
  • Options
    I plan to keep the Civic and drive it till the wheels fall off. (which could be a very long time)

Similar situation here...I have a pristine, garage-kept, never-seen-a-winter, Canada-only 1998 Acura 1.6EL Sport
    that I've had since new. 3 days after purchase, it was trucked down to Florida when I moved. Although, the vehicle is kinda growing old on me since I've had it for such a long time, it drives perfectly and will likely take a long, long time before the wheels fall off. The 9-2X is an exceptional vehicle and I would love to own one but I am not looking forward to monthly payments. :(
  • Options
    My Civic isn't exactly pristine (it's gone through some harsh Ohio and Wisconsin winters) and has plenty of scratches, but its dependable and affordable transportation.

It's starting to grow old on me, and I'd love to drive to the local Saab dealer and pick out a 9-2X, but I bought a different car a few months ago (where I also got a great deal) to replace the Civic.

My wife wants to sell the car, (the Civic) but I want to keep it. :)
  • Options
    My wife wants to sell the car, (the Civic) but I want to keep it. :)
    If you can afford to keep it, then keep it. 'Coz I know some folks dispose of vehicles because it costs too much to insure and to maintain registration. One thing's for sure, it won't croak so easily. ;)
  • Options
    Insurance and registration cost around $700/year, which isn't bad.

I plan to keep it indefinitely... (maybe give it to my 13 year old when he learns how to drive)
  • Options
    Ah, good plan.

Well, I think my 4-year old might appreciate a younger Saab 9-2X than an Acura which is 8 years older. But, he's not paying for it, is he? Still trying to talk myself into the Saab...
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for your break-down numbers. However keep in mind that tax is charged before rebate, that's another $300. And I managed to get the car for 23,700 "delivered" plus another $228 in dealer installed options (wheel locks, trunk rubber mat, armrest extension and cup holders in the back).

Thanks. I'm picking it up tomorrow.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for your break-down numbers. However keep in mind that tax is charged before rebate, that's another $300. And I managed to get the car for 23,700 "delivered" plus another $228 in dealer installed options

Ah, yes...price seems OK.
  • Options
    It's like that in the state of MD as well, but not in all states.

-juice
  • Options
    That's strange, check the coolant levels to see if there is an internal leak.

-juice
  • Options
    cardog2cardog2 Member Posts: 1
    You are correct!
    The GMS Employee price PROMOTION/SALE is written in stone.
    It definately ENDS close of business July 5th, 2005.
    Inventory is dwindling quickly!
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    You are correct!
    The GMS Employee price PROMOTION/SALE is written in stone.
    It definately ENDS close of business July 5th, 2005.
    Inventory is dwindling quickly

Written in stone! Ha!

GM Employee Pricing in July?
  • Options
    that the car requires premium, it's probably right.
  • Options
    I pump it in my Infiniti, and it works just fine.
  • Options
    That's not a turbo, though.

Sure, the ECU will retard timing (and cost you a few horses) once it senses pinging, but it will still ping at first.

Turbos have lower compression but the compressed intake air increases the effective pressure substantially, increasing the chances for pre-detonation.

Stick with premium. That's a lot of boost for a little engine.

-juice
  • Options
    johnmellencampjohnmellencamp Member Posts: 7
    So Juice did you buy one of these Saabs I was debating on an Aero if I can find one or a Mazda 6 wagon . Which one would you buy :confuse:
  • Options
    "Sure, the ECU will retard timing (and cost you a few horses) once it senses pinging, but it will still ping at first. "

It will do the same thing with a higher octane fuel. It will advance the timing until is senses pinging and then back off a bit.

Unless you are racing for pink slips, save your money.
  • Options
    The Aero is smaller and sportier, probably a little quicker driven properly.

The 6 wagon is closer to a Legacy wagon in size, so it may be a little more practical and some people just like having more cylinders for whatever reason. The Duratec 6 is still not very torquey down low, but it does run on regular fuel. I like the press-button fold down seats. Add AWD and it's almost perfect.

Tough choice, I like both, but I'm done with FWD so I'd go with a 9-2x Aero.

-juice
  • Options
    purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    jump in ont his deal? Ugh. :)
This discussion has been closed.